show me a picture of steve

Old 01-26-2006, 09:05 PM   #33
laradelocke
Apocalyptic Poster

Nah he thinks thats a little strange .

Old 01-26-2006, 09:06 PM   #34
laradelocke
Apocalyptic Poster

He doesn't like bum fun if thats what you want.. brokeback.

Old 01-26-2006, 09:29 PM   #35
DeadSwan
Socialphobic

i went to art school, and it was great. i transferred to a "regular" school and got a BA, though.

it's really just a great way to live and totally indulgent. it's really a very temporary paradise.

Old 01-26-2006, 09:43 PM   #36
Mayfuck
Banned

i really really really really regret not studying art or music

Old 01-26-2006, 10:40 PM   #37
Travis Meeks
Rambling on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayfuck
i really really really really regret not studying art or music
why, so you could be even more of a snobby, elitist prick?

Old 01-26-2006, 10:53 PM   #38
Lie
Socialphobic

You shouldn't really go to art school unless you're looking for people to start a band with.

Old 01-26-2006, 10:54 PM   #39
Travis Meeks
Rambling on

or expand your mind with LSD and ectasy

Old 01-26-2006, 10:55 PM   #40
Luke de Spa
someone more...punk rock?

Location: Ice cream pig out in M1-aud is why i don't play plug in baby the wrong way, like you

or devote your existence to the fucking poststructuralist movement

Old 01-26-2006, 10:56 PM   #41
Luke de Spa

Location: Ice cream pig out in M1-aud is why i don't play plug in baby the wrong way, like you

uh, and paint pictures of demons

and start a band called church inferno

Old 01-26-2006, 10:56 PM   #42
Travis Meeks
Rambling on

or post on a sp message board

Old 01-26-2006, 10:57 PM   #43
twice
Socialphobic

OR

develope a sincerely unique personality

http://myspace-120.vo.llnwd.net/0040...08256120_l.jpg

Old 01-26-2006, 10:57 PM   #44
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by laradelocke
Because my Dad was american. Never met him though. Which is grand because he's a heinous cunt.
how could you know for a fact that your dad is a heinous cunt if you've never met him?

Old 01-26-2006, 10:58 PM   #45
Luke de Spa

maybe she's seen photos

sometimes it pays to take things literally

Old 01-26-2006, 10:58 PM   #46
Luke de Spa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai Guru Deva
or post on a sp message board
definitely this one

Old 01-26-2006, 11:01 PM   #47
Lie
Socialphobic

I should have gone to art school. It would have made for an overall more satisfying drop-out experience.

Last edited by Lie : 01-26-2006 at 11:44 PM.

Old 01-26-2006, 11:36 PM   #48
pink_ribbon_scars
At the beginning

I went to a liberal arts college in America (The University of Chicago) and I got a BA in Visual Arts and one in Math, all at the same time. I did both because I was worried that I'd never get a degree with my art degree (and because I wanted to study Math), but then after I graduated I realized that NO degree guarantees you an amazing, well-paying job that'll make you happy. So if you want to go to art school, then why the hell not? If you're not into learning for the sake or learning and you're not interested in following your passions, then fuck all this "learning" and "expanding your brain" and just go to some state school and get a nursing or administration degree so you can market yourself for some cookie cutter job.

Ugh, I mean all of that but it's so hard to put it into a paragraph or two and say how I really feel.

I know that the problem with a lot of American art schools is that they do a great job of teaching art but they do a pathetic job at teaching other subjects. But if you're not American then you're probably used to just focusing on one subject and that might not be much of a problem for you.

Okay, so now that I've said all that shit, I really have no real reccomendations other than that the Art Institute of Chicago is quite good. If you can get into Yale, their Grad program is SUPREME so I'm sure that their undergrad art degree is pretty kickass, too, plus you'd probably get a great overall education. I'm sure that there are more resources about all the different schools that can be found online, and every school has a different approach and a different vibe, so none of us could really tell you which you'll like...

Good luck.

Old 01-26-2006, 11:48 PM   #49
Lie
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink_ribbon_scars
If you're not into learning for the sake or learning and you're not interested in following your passions, then fuck all this "learning" and "expanding your brain" and just go to some state school and get a nursing or administration degree so you can market yourself for some cookie cutter job.
Okay, here it comes. There are plenty of people who follow their passions without going to art school. There, I said it. You people drive me crazy with this shit, you know. Make me sound like an asshole. I mean WHAT A RADICAL IDEA! DOING ART WITHOUT GOING TO SCHOOL! If your passion is teaching art or art history, that's a different matter, but Jesus.

Old 01-26-2006, 11:54 PM   #50
Lie
Socialphobic

I'll shut up now and stop shitting all over the world and peoples' dreams because I think self-indulgence is a fine thing until it makes you constipated.

Old 01-26-2006, 11:56 PM   #51
alisonmonster
Minion of Satan

yes, i am an Illustration student in my 3rd year of a 4 year Bachelour of Applied Illustration. I attend Sheridan I.T.A.L in Canada. I am an interpretive illustration student (we also have a technical program).

Since the school was/is primarily a business school, the art types here tend to be more career oriented than other fine art schools (like Ontario College of Art and Design). The education in the first few years are also extremaly 'technique' driven ( anatomy classes,computers, life drawing, technical concepts, graphic design, and one really painful object drawing class where you have to accurately draw in perspective without using any compasses, rulers or any other guides). In 3rd year is when they really start focussing on more creative ideas and how to articulate them.

I love my program, we have working professional teachers who know the students by name (only 120 people are admitted every year) we have equally creative courses mixed in with practical business courses. And i love the fact that i will always work with interesting new people and will always be my own boss.

Old 01-27-2006, 12:01 AM   #52
Luke de Spa

that sounds awesome. i think i'd be worried about winding up doing illustrations for microwave oven instruction manuals, though

Old 01-27-2006, 12:03 AM   #53
alisonmonster
Minion of Satan

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Day Spa
that sounds awesome. i think i'd be worried about winding up doing illustrations for microwave oven instruction manuals, though
thats why i'm not a technical illustrator, thank god.

Old 01-27-2006, 12:04 AM   #54
Travis Meeks
Rambling on

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisonmonster
and will always be my own boss.

good luck with that

Old 01-27-2006, 12:08 AM   #55
alisonmonster
Minion of Satan

Quote:
good luck with that
there are very few to none illustration jobs where i would work for someone else. Obviously there will always be creative teams/art directors as my clients however illustration is an entirely self reliant field- i have my own invoices, represntative (if i choose) i have to do my own promotional work, i have to get myself hired on an ongoing basis. Illustrators are essentially independant contractors.

Old 01-27-2006, 12:12 AM   #56
Travis Meeks
Rambling on

Ok, but lets say you've recently graduated and you're working to get your name out. Are you planning on having another job or career to help you survive until you get enough illustrator work?

Old 01-27-2006, 12:23 AM   #57
alisonmonster
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Ok, but lets say you've recently graduated and you're working to get your name out. Are you planning on having another job or career to help you survive until you get enough illustrator work?
yes, of course i will have another job to get me through, its only common sense.

as long as what i really love to do (my work) will be self driven, i'll be happy because for better or worse, i'll have sole control over how i do and how i want things to run. Even if it will be a long time to get myself established, i am willing to slog through a less than perfect job in order to eventually accomplish my goals.

Old 01-27-2006, 12:26 AM   #58
Travis Meeks
Rambling on

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisonmonster
yes, of course i will have another job to get me through, its only common sense.

as long as what i really love to do (my work) will be self driven, i'll be happy because for better or worse, i'll have sole control over how i do and how i want things to run. Even if it will be a long time to get myself established, i am willing to slog through a less than perfect job in order to eventually accomplish my goals.

OK, I'm sold. Congradulations on doing what you enjoy and good luck.

Old 01-27-2006, 12:34 AM   #59
alisonmonster
Minion of Satan

Quote:
OK, I'm sold. Congradulations on doing what you enjoy and good luck.
thanks. i'm used to getting 'what the fuck' looks when people ask me what i want to do with my degree, anyway.

Old 01-27-2006, 12:35 AM   #60
Luke de Spa

Talking

so what's your favourite household appliance to draw