Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 01-19-2023, 01:57 AM   #1
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Default So - will these ATUM boxes ever sell out?

I've alluded to it in prior threads, but I feel like it deserves analysis here.

They never were able to sell out those Siddartha boxes - just too damn expensive. I still ruminate on where those babies went.

And here we are, about 4 months out, and the autographed color vinyl box that is limited to 1,333 units, is not sold out. I think it suffers from the same fate, namely, that it's just too damn expensive. If you're a SP fan in 2023 who is buying stuff like this, you already have their autographs on things that matter WAY more to you than a box set of an album that, by the time it arrives, you will have zero attachment towards and will most likely regret buying.

So, what's next? Are they eventually going to go on sale? Just disappear from the website like the Siddartha ones did? Languish in the SP store forever like the CYR vinyl?

Clearly, it doesn't seem like the lack of these things selling out is inhibiting his desire to keep cranking out albums, which is of course, a mixed bag.

I digress and am now questioning this thread.

Old 01-19-2023, 03:10 AM   #2
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

The music is garbage.. why are people still buying this junk?

Old 01-19-2023, 03:13 AM   #3
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

this image from the box-set sums up ATUM perfectly.. where James and Jimmy and basically dead and gone.

Old 01-19-2023, 05:15 AM   #4
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

A bunch of idiots dedicated diehard fans rushed to buy the standard edition (only $225!) and then the actual songs came out and now noone is going to fork out twice as much for that shite.

Old 01-19-2023, 05:48 AM   #5
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

I'd be surprised if many people, promised a "sequel" to MCIS, didn't cancel their orders after the first part came out.

Old 01-19-2023, 08:41 AM   #6
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

all sales are final
no exceptions
airplane mode means nothing to me

Old 01-19-2023, 10:07 AM   #7
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Yeah the standard version was reasonable and I'd consider buying it for the bonus album alone if it were available (however someone better post audio of it).

The other version is a rip off. How many rich idiot SP completists are there out there? Not 1,333 I'll tell you whut.

Old 01-19-2023, 10:24 AM   #8
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

All i hope for is that the 10 bonus tracks are some sort of purposeful coubterpoint and its Billy and Jimmy just jamming in a room doing their psychedelic rock record or such - rather than 10 more of the same sort of overly produced synth tracks.

I mean they have had songs like Stellar as a b-side, so there could be something good there... Right? ... Right......

But I do know that at this stage, that this sounds completely delusional though.

Old 01-19-2023, 11:32 AM   #9
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Unhappy

Seems like Billy doesn't want to make the difficult decision to have these vinyls melted down and reused for the Machina box. That's all that's holding it up now. Damn shame.

Old 01-19-2023, 11:38 AM   #10
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

There wasn’t vinyl for the Machina reissue. But there’s vinyl for this.

Old 01-19-2023, 11:46 AM   #11
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoxUpDoc View Post
There wasn’t vinyl for the Machina reissue. But there’s vinyl for this.
It's all 6-month preorder business model. There is nothing at all. Do your part, buy each and every release, in other words make it sustainable and at the end of the rainbow there might be a Machina release.

Old 01-19-2023, 01:23 PM   #12
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

I bought 5 of the boxes to take advantage of the resale market. SP releases never go down in value, bruh. They are the biggest band in the world.

Old 01-19-2023, 01:48 PM   #13
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

biggest bland in the world

Old 01-19-2023, 02:25 PM   #14
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaFritz View Post
I bought 5 of the boxes to take advantage of the resale market. SP releases never go down in value, bruh. They are the biggest band in the world.
Aegea is like $400 now, but that’s just the one guy who bought it trying to sell his unopened copy.

Old 01-19-2023, 03:50 PM   #15
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Looking up Aegea and I had no idea it was recorded in Spring 2007, before Zeitgeist was released.

Interesting how his synth doodling has changed over the years. Aegea is unlistenable but at least it could qualify as experimental electronic music and maybe be passable in a gallery or something. By Siddhartha it just sounds like 50s sci-fi bloops and feels a bit cheesy. Cyr and Atum have lost any pretense of high art and... well, I don't think I need to explain. In short, even BC's '07 aimless electronic work was more respectable than what he is putting out now.

Old 01-21-2023, 10:53 PM   #16
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy drevpile View Post
All i hope for is that the 10 bonus tracks are some sort of purposeful coubterpoint and its Billy and Jimmy just jamming in a room doing their psychedelic rock record or such - rather than 10 more of the same sort of overly produced synth tracks.

I mean they have had songs like Stellar as a b-side, so there could be something good there... Right? ... Right......
Since one of the 1,333 black vinyl copies is headed to my doorstep - a decision I mostly regret at this point, save for the completest corner of my heart, which is still present - this is a good point.

Amazing that those tracks won't be anywhere else. I mean, at this point to get to Stellar, you have to own it on CD, so...

Old 01-22-2023, 01:11 AM   #17
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

i was considering buying one when they announced it, but then i heard some of the music. no way, josé