Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2023, 10:15 PM   #1
LoveIsSuicide42
Demi-God

Default Atum sounds a lot like "Maneskin"

Heard recently from some pop cultured youths about this new rock band from Italy called Maneskin. They were touting it like it was this new brand of music coming up in the mainstream that was like a synthesis of modern pop and classic rock. I had to check it out, because that's basically how I conceive ATUM, and holy shit, it sucks for so many of the same reasons that ATUM sucks. I could totally see Billy trying a song very much in this nature on ATUM . His voice is absolute cringe trying to do that type of vocal, but that's sort of what he tries to do on ATUM I think. Boring drums, and incessant vocals blasted to the front of the mix, overburdening you with them to the point that anything you liked about them is negligible. Also why tf has Tm Morell seemed like such a hack since like 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xrsb...l=ManeskinVEVO

For the record, I do think most of ATUM is significantly better than this, but the bad decisions are the same.

Old 01-18-2023, 10:19 PM   #2
LoveIsSuicide42
Demi-God

I point this out because, as this band is new and unfamiliar to me, it is easy for me to understand why younger people might like them. I get what Billy's going for. I wish I liked it more.

Old 01-18-2023, 10:24 PM   #3
T&T
Socialphobic

The cocaine winners of eurovision 2021?

Billy wishes he was this cool.

Old 01-19-2023, 06:34 PM   #4
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

This band sounds nothing like SP or WPC past or present. What are you talking about?

Old 01-19-2023, 06:58 PM   #5
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveIsSuicide42 View Post
They were touting it like it was this new brand of music coming up in the mainstream that was like a synthesis of modern pop and classic rock.
This sounds like... half the bands that were popular like fifteen years ago, to me? I don't understand what's new about this at all.

Quote:
I could totally see Billy trying a song very much in this nature on ATUM . His voice is absolute cringe trying to do that type of vocal, but that's sort of what he tries to do on ATUM I think.
You feel Billy, on ATUM, is trying to sing in the melodramatic way this guy is doing? And that a song that sounded like this would fit right in with what we've heard of ATUM so far?

Quote:
Boring drums, and incessant vocals blasted to the front of the mix, overburdening you with them to the point that anything you liked about them is negligible.
This is what makes this sound like ATUM to you? Drums nothing special, vocals up front? That's all it takes? I'm with NovaFritz: what on earth are you talking about?

Old 01-19-2023, 07:07 PM   #6
run2pee
Minion of Satan

ATUM sounds like Wesley Willis, only without any of the hallucinatory splendor of Wesley Willis

Old 01-19-2023, 07:18 PM   #7
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Lightbulb

Atum sounds a lot like "the music when Sonic's about to drown"

Atum sounds a lot like "a sock full of pennies hitting the floor and scattering"

Atum sounds a lot like "all the things your brother wants to say, but won't, as you pull into the garage after your grandmother's funeral"

Old 01-19-2023, 07:27 PM   #8
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post

Atum sounds a lot like "a sock full of pennies hitting the floor and scattering"

Atum sounds a lot like "all the things your brother wants to say, but won't, as you pull into the garage after your grandmother's funeral"
JFC what got into u today, this is more fun than i've had on here in a looooooong time

Old 01-19-2023, 07:33 PM   #9
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

he was always posting like this, you are simply experiencing the effects of Funbag's thread (which as we all know changed everything) while reading them

Old 01-19-2023, 09:34 PM   #10
Zerospaced
Apocalyptic Poster

I've been listening to Maneskin for almost 2 years now and I don't see how they sound anything like ATUM... wtf you smoking?

Old 01-19-2023, 09:35 PM   #11
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Industry plants.

Old 01-20-2023, 11:53 AM   #12
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post

lol

Old 01-20-2023, 03:16 PM   #13
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

I really don't understand where you guys got the idea that Cyr and ATUM are an attempt to attract young fans. Since when do young people stop to listen to an album with 30 songs? Even more so when this album is conceptual and connected with another concept album released 20 years ago (officially only half of it) and another double album released almost 30 years ago. Billy has been making synth music for a while, he must think rock with guitars is something of lesser value. That simple.

This sounds nothing like ATUM anyway.

Old 01-20-2023, 06:05 PM   #14
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Uh, Billy has said multiple times in recent interviews that he has to compete with pop artists now to reach the younger audience.