Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2006, 02:18 AM   #1
D.
Consume my pants.

Default The origin on the name Smashing Pumpkins as guessed by mostly uninformed idiots

Some of these are downright LOL-tastic

http://www.amiright.com/names/origins/s.shtml

Smashing Pumpkins
I grew up in Elk Grove, Illinois... (every year)On the mornings after Holloween you'd see the remains of all the pumpkins that people left on their doorsteps, smashed to bits in the middle of the street. I also heard about this on local radio a couple times, but they added that these pranks seem to be a local suburban tradition, but I'm sure there are kids smashing pumpkins all over the nation.

Smashing Pumpkins
unlike whate everybody has said, they are called the smashing pumpkins because when Billy Corgan was younger and not even in a band, he told everybody he was in one called the smashing pumpkins. so when he finally got in a band, the people he had told assumed it was called the smashing pumpkins and the name just stuck

Smashing Pumpkins
In the last Bozo show, Billy Corgan said that it was just a band name that he made up as a kid. There's no special explanation.

Smashing Pumpkins
Actually the name of the smashing pumpkins came from the comic Peanuts. In Peanuts, on Halloween, Linus would go to the pumpkin patch and look for the "great pumpkin." Since that name was already taken they decided to use smashing (adj. form). I saw this on the vh1 pop up video style of "Tonight, Tonight"

Smashing Pumpkins
The Truth: After James Iha and Billy Corgan met up, they played their first show together and called themselves the Smashing Pumpkins simply as a joke because they had not thought of a name they liked yet. As they continue the Chicago scene people would recognize them because of their peculiar band name so as they added the final two members to their band they decided to keep the name because of how it seemed to stick in people's heads. "Smashing" is and adjective which means "handsome"

The Smashing Pumpkins
According to an extremely old interview with Billy Corgan (lead of the Pumpkins) the name was chosen due to the fact that Corgan's home town was famous for its pumpkins. An ex-girlfriend of Corgan's was reported to have said that he would never leave 'this pumpkin town' and thus the name, The Smashing Pumpkins.

Smashing Pumpkins
I can't believe no-one said this before but: While people were waiting for the original Doom to come out, there was a game created (using the engine I think) called "Smashing Pumpkins Into Small Piles of Putrid Debris". Also the reason for the cheat ID (the developer) SPISPOPD. Co-incidence? I think not Garglfluz
Smashing Pumpkins It is believed to be a British expression for "fabulous breasts" (i.e. - Why, what smashing pumpkins she has!).

The Smashing Pumpkins
It was a joke that Billy Corgan made up. As a kid, he used to go around telling people he was in a band called the Smashing Pumpkins, even though he wasn't really in a band. As an adult, when he first formed the band with James, the Smashing Pumpkins was the inevitable name.

Smashing Pumpkins
actually i read in an interview yes, he knew it as a kid. he didnt make it up though. some older friends of his went trick or treating and came to see him and he asked what they were doing, they said 'we are smashing pumpkins" as a joke, but he kept it in his head until he formed the band.

Smashing Pumpkins
The name is taken from the Shakespeare play "Twelfth Night": Sir Toby (or was it Feste, the clown?) climbs over the garden wall, looses his hold and drops on the other side, smashing pumpkins that grow there.

Smashing Pumpkins
The band says that it was just a joke. "Smashing" wasn't meant to be a verb, it was meant to be a adjective (think British). And the "Pumpkins," really didn't have any significance. It could've been anything.

Smashing Pumpkins
As Billy was beginning to make Smashing Pumpkins (He was 19 at the time), he didn't have a name for them. People would ask them what the name of his band was. As a joke he would say "Smashing Pumpkins". Eventually they were introduced as Smashing Pumpkins and the name stuck. Since then the band has described it as God's joke on them and many other things. Note: Smashing is an adjective (think British)

Smashing Pumpkins
Corgan came up with this name, which is derived from the destructiuve Halloween custom of smashing carved pumpkins during Halloween night.

Old 07-17-2006, 02:46 AM   #2
firewoman
Ownz

haha I wonder how odd the 'smashing pumpkins' name was for everyone back then, when they have no one to associate it to

Old 07-17-2006, 03:17 AM   #3
ZEROpumpkins
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.
Some of these are downright LOL-tastic

http://www.amiright.com/names/origins/s.shtml

Smashing Pumpkins
I grew up in Elk Grove, Illinois... (every year)On the mornings after Holloween you'd see the remains of all the pumpkins that people left on their doorsteps, smashed to bits in the middle of the street. I also heard about this on local radio a couple times, but they added that these pranks seem to be a local suburban tradition, but I'm sure there are kids smashing pumpkins all over the nation.

Smashing Pumpkins
unlike whate everybody has said, they are called the smashing pumpkins because when Billy Corgan was younger and not even in a band, he told everybody he was in one called the smashing pumpkins. so when he finally got in a band, the people he had told assumed it was called the smashing pumpkins and the name just stuck

Smashing Pumpkins
In the last Bozo show, Billy Corgan said that it was just a band name that he made up as a kid. There's no special explanation.

Smashing Pumpkins
Actually the name of the smashing pumpkins came from the comic Peanuts. In Peanuts, on Halloween, Linus would go to the pumpkin patch and look for the "great pumpkin." Since that name was already taken they decided to use smashing (adj. form). I saw this on the vh1 pop up video style of "Tonight, Tonight"

Smashing Pumpkins
The Truth: After James Iha and Billy Corgan met up, they played their first show together and called themselves the Smashing Pumpkins simply as a joke because they had not thought of a name they liked yet. As they continue the Chicago scene people would recognize them because of their peculiar band name so as they added the final two members to their band they decided to keep the name because of how it seemed to stick in people's heads. "Smashing" is and adjective which means "handsome"

The Smashing Pumpkins
According to an extremely old interview with Billy Corgan (lead of the Pumpkins) the name was chosen due to the fact that Corgan's home town was famous for its pumpkins. An ex-girlfriend of Corgan's was reported to have said that he would never leave 'this pumpkin town' and thus the name, The Smashing Pumpkins.

Smashing Pumpkins
I can't believe no-one said this before but: While people were waiting for the original Doom to come out, there was a game created (using the engine I think) called "Smashing Pumpkins Into Small Piles of Putrid Debris". Also the reason for the cheat ID (the developer) SPISPOPD. Co-incidence? I think not Garglfluz
Smashing Pumpkins It is believed to be a British expression for "fabulous breasts" (i.e. - Why, what smashing pumpkins she has!).

The Smashing Pumpkins
It was a joke that Billy Corgan made up. As a kid, he used to go around telling people he was in a band called the Smashing Pumpkins, even though he wasn't really in a band. As an adult, when he first formed the band with James, the Smashing Pumpkins was the inevitable name.

Smashing Pumpkins
actually i read in an interview yes, he knew it as a kid. he didnt make it up though. some older friends of his went trick or treating and came to see him and he asked what they were doing, they said 'we are smashing pumpkins" as a joke, but he kept it in his head until he formed the band.

Smashing Pumpkins
The name is taken from the Shakespeare play "Twelfth Night": Sir Toby (or was it Feste, the clown?) climbs over the garden wall, looses his hold and drops on the other side, smashing pumpkins that grow there.

Smashing Pumpkins
The band says that it was just a joke. "Smashing" wasn't meant to be a verb, it was meant to be a adjective (think British). And the "Pumpkins," really didn't have any significance. It could've been anything.

Smashing Pumpkins
As Billy was beginning to make Smashing Pumpkins (He was 19 at the time), he didn't have a name for them. People would ask them what the name of his band was. As a joke he would say "Smashing Pumpkins". Eventually they were introduced as Smashing Pumpkins and the name stuck. Since then the band has described it as God's joke on them and many other things. Note: Smashing is an adjective (think British)

Smashing Pumpkins
Corgan came up with this name, which is derived from the destructiuve Halloween custom of smashing carved pumpkins during Halloween night.

Old 07-17-2006, 04:41 AM   #4
Izzle
Banned

that really wasn't that funny...besides, everybody knows billy got the name when jim morrisson appeared to him in a dream and said "gene simmons is a pumpkin, drunken and smashed"

Old 07-17-2006, 05:49 AM   #5
The Melty Man
Ownz

those jim morrisson dreams are awesome? and did you see the naked indian, izzle?

Old 07-17-2006, 05:53 AM   #6
Izzle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Melty Man
those jim morrisson dreams are awesome? and did you see the naked indian, izzle?
the weird naked indian? that's my uncle

Old 07-17-2006, 06:56 AM   #7
ZEROpumpkins
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Melty Man
I saw him. That was the night I lost my dream virginity.

Old 07-17-2006, 07:21 AM   #8
pete
Apocalyptic Poster

Maybe the 'Smashing Pumpkins' is just a random name that Billy dreamed up when he was coming with a name that was different, so there is no meaning to it.

Old 07-17-2006, 01:01 PM   #9
ChoobieWoobie
Ownz

What follows is some collaboration between me and ron roesing:

"The Marked had a song called "Happy Halloween"
This was on yet another of the many unheared tapes and also
We played it live at Janus Landing in St. Pete
( bet no one has a copy of that song,
and i also bet none of you have any of the janus landing shows. )

My hair was "bright orange" at the time & my favorite bands have always
been "English" bands.

Put 2 and 2 together, Ring any bells?"

and the follow up to that message:

" Smashing as in "the english UK version"
and Pumpkins as in Orange hair .. looking like a pumpkinhead.

To add to that Frank Zappa's record label was called Barking Pumpkins.

Obviously The Marked title was equally as collaborative."

----

That was the last message that i sent..because he was just getting a little too weird. I think they all ate too much acid when they were younger.

Old 07-17-2006, 01:08 PM   #10
Pretzel Logic
Apocalyptic Poster

The name is a joke with God

Old 07-17-2006, 03:53 PM   #11
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

you must be referring to "its god's joke" from Vieuphoria during that japanese tv show? obvioulsy that was a joke as well.

Smashing Pumpkinheads, eh ChoobieWoobie? I suppose this could indeed be the origin which lead up to Billy's band-name that he told people he was in, even before he was in it. However, considering the source, you never know...

Old 07-17-2006, 04:03 PM   #12
Pretzel Logic
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin
you must be referring to "its god's joke" from Vieuphoria during that japanese tv show? obvioulsy that was a joke as well.
Yep. Billy couldn't take those Japs seriously.

Old 07-17-2006, 04:08 PM   #13
ZEROpumpkins
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzel Logic
Does that explain the bruises James had in the Adore era?

Old 07-17-2006, 04:48 PM   #14
Pretzel Logic
Apocalyptic Poster

Sadly....yes

Old 07-17-2006, 11:00 PM   #15
ChoobieWoobie
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin

Smashing Pumpkinheads, eh ChoobieWoobie? I suppose this could indeed be the origin which lead up to Billy's band-name that he told people he was in, even before he was in it. However, considering the source, you never know...
Thats what I was thinking. I don't know how ron even got on the subject of the band name origins...but i played along and his responses were kind of 'out there' It's obvious that he might not be capable of total cohesive thought.

Old 07-17-2006, 11:07 PM   #16
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

things became somewhat unwound for us in the end as well. things ended abruptly after i asked about the song dali holds the hand of god. very curious.

Old 07-17-2006, 11:08 PM   #17
slanky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoobieWoobie
What follows is some collaboration between me and ron roesing:

"The Marked had a song called "Happy Halloween"
This was on yet another of the many unheared tapes and also
We played it live at Janus Landing in St. Pete
( bet no one has a copy of that song,
and i also bet none of you have any of the janus landing shows. )

My hair was "bright orange" at the time & my favorite bands have always
been "English" bands.

Put 2 and 2 together, Ring any bells?"

and the follow up to that message:

" Smashing as in "the english UK version"
and Pumpkins as in Orange hair .. looking like a pumpkinhead.

To add to that Frank Zappa's record label was called Barking Pumpkins.

Obviously The Marked title was equally as collaborative."

Perhaps, though that's quite a stretch. Sounds like one of ol' Ron's cravings for whatever scraps of credit he can get.

Of course, I am somewhat biased.

Old 07-17-2006, 11:25 PM   #18
myosis
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Put 2 and 2 together, Ring any bells?
i feel like punching that guy

Old 07-18-2006, 12:56 AM   #19
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
they have no emotions, accordimg to billy

Old 07-18-2006, 12:58 AM   #20
ZEROpumpkins
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Sadly....yes
I guess he get's it from 'ol child beater then.

Old 07-19-2006, 07:41 PM   #21
spank_thru101
Ownz

now less guess where Chumbawumba got their name...what no takers!?

Old 07-19-2006, 10:05 PM   #22
douglas78
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by slanky
Perhaps, though that's quite a stretch. Sounds like one of ol' Ron's cravings for whatever scraps of credit he can get.

Of course, I am somewhat biased.

guilt by association

Old 07-19-2006, 10:40 PM   #23
sweetsupervixen
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.

The Smashing Pumpkins
But where do they get the 'Smashing' part?

Old 07-19-2006, 11:01 PM   #24
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by some idiot
Smashing Pumpkins

this got me angry. i hate dumbasses.

Old 07-20-2006, 03:41 AM   #25
ZEROpumpkins
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by some idiot
Smashing Pumpkins