Netphoria Message Board


Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > Music News and Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2020, 11:21 PM   #361
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Location: ďHonkie.Ē - yo soy
Posts: 2,973
Default

You are the dumbest person of all time on this forum
And that’s saying something when Trots & I have posted on here

 
ninsp is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 04:15 PM   #362
houseofglass11
Apocalyptic Poster
 
houseofglass11's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,818
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatvegetable View Post
Agreed. White Pony waS the introduction of elaborate production, better drumming and a generally thicker, more complex sound.
White Pony is pretty much the opposite of that. Itís thin and digital and very ProTools sounding. ATF has a huge drum and guitar sound. Itís just a better album all around. Iíll repeat it eight hundred more times too donít worry.

 
houseofglass11 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 08:17 AM   #363
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Location: ďHonkie.Ē - yo soy
Posts: 2,973
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
White Pony is pretty much the opposite of that. Itís thin and digital and very ProTools sounding. ATF has a huge drum and guitar sound. Itís just a better album all around. Iíll repeat it eight hundred more times too donít worry.
ATF sounds like Limp Bizkit lol so dated

 
ninsp is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 11:27 AM   #364
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Shadaloo's Avatar
 
Location: up on the cross you go little fella
Posts: 2,359
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKeyZ View Post
Machina sounds nothing like Adore. Adore was Adore and Billy has never ever captured that magic again. Machinas were a bloated mess where Billy tried to make another Mellon Collie opus and failed. You cannot find Adore on Machina or any other Billy release that has come since. And, no, The Future Embrace nor the new garbage he put out sounds like Adore. I hear people compare the new stuff to Adore and think, "What the hell are you smoking?" White Pony/Self Titled is more like their Mellon Collie. A matured and dynamic sound that brought them into an ever bigger spotlight. Made people realize they're more than just some nu metal band, kinda like how Mellon Collie showed SP were something more.
Put aside the fact you think the Machinas are a bloated mess, or that you hate modern SP, which is completely beside the point and irrelevant to the comparison.

You're missing the point; I'm not saying Machina sounds like Adore, that's an oversimplification. What I'm saying is that Adore's soundscapes informed what was to come. Look at stuff like Daphne Descends, Crestfallen, Pug. Appels + Oranjes. Then think about The Sacred and Profane, the synth lines in the back of Everlasting Gaze, Raindrops + Sunshowers. Look at Home or Innosense. There's synth elements in there and that's a direct result of coming off of Adore.

Sure, Billy tried to go back in a more rock oriented direction, but the time they spent on Adore informed them and by that point they were very comfortable with electronic aspects.

Kinda like how on White Pony or Self-titled we start to shift away from the nu-metal trappings, and start incorporating elements of trip-hop, to serve a simple example. Without that, you don't get, god help me, Pink Cellphone.

If anything, going further beyond that I'd call KNY the album that kind of exemplifies their current musical direction as I think that's a good example of 'metalgaze', or whatever it's being called now. Unlike SP, who tend to sound very different with every release, Deftones make gradual changes as they go.

 
Shadaloo is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 01:37 PM   #365
Eulogy
huh
 
Posts: 62,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
ATF sounds like Limp Bizkit lol so dated
This is a horrid take

 
Eulogy is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 02:59 PM   #366
houseofglass11
Apocalyptic Poster
 
houseofglass11's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,818
Default

Seriously that comment alone proves ninsp is a fool

 
houseofglass11 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 03:01 PM   #367
houseofglass11
Apocalyptic Poster
 
houseofglass11's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,818
Default

And it’s ironic because ATF was pretty much just straight up altmetal. White Pony was their most numetal sounding album. The record company even made them go back and add that horrid rap metal opening song because they didn’t think they had a good single.

 
houseofglass11 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 03:37 PM   #368
houseofglass11
Apocalyptic Poster
 
houseofglass11's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,818
Default

What the fuck is your problem? Not my fault your band sucks and you use embarrassing fonts.

 
houseofglass11 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 05:32 PM   #369
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Location: ďHonkie.Ē - yo soy
Posts: 2,973
Default

Headup is the Deftones most nu-metal song. I love it, but it sounds like Limp Bizkit

 
ninsp is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 07:12 PM   #370
Eulogy
huh
 
Posts: 62,461
Default

All of you shut up.

Around the Fur is great and does not sound like limp bizkit. End of discussion.

 
Eulogy is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 07:13 PM   #371
smashingjj
fucking eh!
 
smashingjj's Avatar
 
Location: mtv spring break hosted by pauly d
Posts: 36,171
Default

seriously what kind of discussion is this

 
smashingjj is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 07:27 PM   #372
houseofglass11
Apocalyptic Poster
 
houseofglass11's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,818
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatvegetable View Post
You are the only alt rock fan that I've heard say anything remotely like that. Is it a coincidence that you're a fucking weasely loser who lives on a messageboard and doesn't like it when people disagree with his inane musical ramblings?
White Pony has always been regarded as a numetal album. Where have you been? The opening track is literally rap metal. Youíre the weasley loser getting incensed by someoneís fucking opinion. Around the Fur is their best album hands down so you can all shut the fuck up.

How much reverb do you need to cover up your mediocre vocals and songs dude? Might wanna tone that shit down a little. I remember when you were on the SP Facebook group telling people that your music is better than anything Billy has done post 2007. In your dreams dude. Lollllll

And seriously those fonts??

 
houseofglass11 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 07:36 PM   #373
Eulogy
huh
 
Posts: 62,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
White Pony has always been regarded as a numetal album. Where have you been? The opening track is literally rap metal. Youíre the weasley loser getting incensed by someoneís fucking opinion. Around the Fur is their best album hands down so you can all shut the fuck up.

How much reverb do you need to cover up your mediocre vocals and songs dude? Might wanna tone that shit down a little. I remember when you were on the SP Facebook group telling people that your music is better than anything Billy has done post 2007. In your dreams dude. Lollllll

And seriously those fonts??
If you have the real version of the record, back to school is not on it.

 
Eulogy is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 07:41 PM   #374
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster
 
MyKeyZ's Avatar
 
Location: The void arrives, then leaves
Posts: 1,049
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
Put aside the fact you think the Machinas are a bloated mess, or that you hate modern SP, which is completely beside the point and irrelevant to the comparison.

You're missing the point; I'm not saying Machina sounds like Adore, that's an oversimplification. What I'm saying is that Adore's soundscapes informed what was to come. Look at stuff like Daphne Descends, Crestfallen, Pug. Appels + Oranjes. Then think about The Sacred and Profane, the synth lines in the back of Everlasting Gaze, Raindrops + Sunshowers. Look at Home or Innosense. There's synth elements in there and that's a direct result of coming off of Adore.

Sure, Billy tried to go back in a more rock oriented direction, but the time they spent on Adore informed them and by that point they were very comfortable with electronic aspects.

Kinda like how on White Pony or Self-titled we start to shift away from the nu-metal trappings, and start incorporating elements of trip-hop, to serve a simple example. Without that, you don't get, god help me, Pink Cellphone.

If anything, going further beyond that I'd call KNY the album that kind of exemplifies their current musical direction as I think that's a good example of 'metalgaze', or whatever it's being called now. Unlike SP, who tend to sound very different with every release, Deftones make gradual changes as they go.
These things predate Adore and go back to Mellon Collie/AFH era with tracks like Beautiful, We Only Come Out At Night, Love, 1979, Isolation, Destination Unknown where they pushed programmed beats/samples, synths, etc. There's even a synth version of Zero. Adore is just the continuation of the lighter, mellower side of Mellon Collie. Each album felt like a progression from the last up until Machina. Machina tries to take two steps back. Kinda like Ohms.

 
MyKeyZ is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 10:02 PM   #375
houseofglass11
Apocalyptic Poster
 
houseofglass11's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,818
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatvegetable View Post
Why are you laughing out loud loud loud loud loud loud, you thick as pigshit moron?

Do you remember on that facebook group several people chiming in and saying gimme TMD over any pumpkins from the last 10 years?

There's 10% wet, two second reverb on my vocals, you utter cunt.

What are these fonts youre talking about, you abject little shit?

P. S,
I love you.
Please use more expletives it really gets your point across. Those people must be fucking deaf. Lolllllll

Itís funny how totally risible -you- are. I would never listen to your band based on artwork alone. Just dreadful. I know this will really get under your skin too. Youíre really gonna stew about this for a while. My work is done here.

 
houseofglass11 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 11:37 PM   #376
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster
 
MyKeyZ's Avatar
 
Location: The void arrives, then leaves
Posts: 1,049
Default

I wouldn't call White Pony nu-metal. Their earlier stuff, yes. The label forced them to make Back To School, a track that forces a nu metal sound that was missing from WP, after the album was released. The real White Pony album is the un-label molested version sans Back To School. It was a slimy label move to make the album seem nu metal when it really wasn't. There is no rap rock on the real White Pony. White Pony is where Deftones perfected their own sound and no other band has matched it. I'm sure the hardcore rap rock nu metal kids who first heard Back To School would've been disappointed thinking that's the style of the album. It's kinda the Ava Adore of White Pony, but tacked on after the fact.

 
MyKeyZ is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 07:00 AM   #377
smashingjj
fucking eh!
 
smashingjj's Avatar
 
Location: mtv spring break hosted by pauly d
Posts: 36,171
Default


 
smashingjj is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 02:16 PM   #378
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Shadaloo's Avatar
 
Location: up on the cross you go little fella
Posts: 2,359
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKeyZ View Post
These things predate Adore and go back to Mellon Collie/AFH era with tracks like Beautiful, We Only Come Out At Night, Love, 1979, Isolation, Destination Unknown where they pushed programmed beats/samples, synths, etc. There's even a synth version of Zero. Adore is just the continuation of the lighter, mellower side of Mellon Collie. Each album felt like a progression from the last up until Machina. Machina tries to take two steps back. Kinda like Ohms.
There's synth work, yes, but the presence of a synth alone isn't indicative of a cohesive direction. You don't get to something like Home without going through stuff like Tear or Pug first. It's about the way that they put them together, and yes, you can trace the journey to Adore from the elements introduced in MCIS. That's obvious.

Put it this way: Could you picture 'Home' or 'The Sacred + Profane' on MCIS? Answer is nope.

 
Shadaloo is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 02:20 PM   #379
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!
 
FoolofaTook's Avatar
 
Posts: 36,303
Question

What if I answer yes? What then?

 
FoolofaTook is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 08:17 PM   #380
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Shadaloo's Avatar
 
Location: up on the cross you go little fella
Posts: 2,359
Default


 
Shadaloo is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 11:33 PM   #381
Joey Goldberg
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Joey Goldberg's Avatar
 
Location: in the line for drinks (or is it just tickets to buy the drinks?)
Posts: 4,123
Default

can't we just randomly compare it to Deftones like y'all have for some reason been doin' over the last 4-5 pages in this thread? seems like a good time

 
Joey Goldberg is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 02:11 PM   #382
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Shadaloo's Avatar
 
Location: up on the cross you go little fella
Posts: 2,359
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatvegetable View Post
WOCOAT
We Only Come Out At Tights?

Anyway, I'm really looking at this more in terms of like production. Yeah, MCIS is such a sprawling album that any of their songs could have been on it in theory, but my point was about how things sound and feel as opposed to the song structure - even if they were, they would have sounded different.

Anyway I finally fucking got my LP of ohms in the mail yesterday with the zine whooo

 
Shadaloo is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 07:06 PM   #383
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic
 
FlamingGlobes's Avatar
 
Location: Iíve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate
Posts: 14,303
Default

Hot take:

Ohms sucked.

Come. At. Me.

 
FlamingGlobes is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 07:07 PM   #384
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic
 
FlamingGlobes's Avatar
 
Location: Iíve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate
Posts: 14,303
Default

Took, pls.

 
FlamingGlobes is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 07:07 PM   #385
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic
 
FlamingGlobes's Avatar
 
Location: Iíve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate
Posts: 14,303
Default

No, I mean, Took pls come at me.

 
FlamingGlobes is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 07:07 PM   #386
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic
 
FlamingGlobes's Avatar
 
Location: Iíve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate
Posts: 14,303
Default

Come at me.

 
FlamingGlobes is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 07:08 PM   #387
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic
 
FlamingGlobes's Avatar
 
Location: Iíve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate
Posts: 14,303
Default


 
FlamingGlobes is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 07:44 PM   #388
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic
 
FlamingGlobes's Avatar
 
Location: Iíve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate
Posts: 14,303
Default

Ok sucked is a bit of hyperb0lly but this thing did not rock me like I needed it to.

I would compare it to Fargo S4. It's fine on its own merits, but I waited so long for this?

 
FlamingGlobes is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 08:20 PM   #389
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic
 
FlamingGlobes's Avatar
 
Location: Iíve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate
Posts: 14,303
Default

Season 4

 
FlamingGlobes is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 08:20 PM   #390
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic
 
FlamingGlobes's Avatar
 
Location: Iíve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate
Posts: 14,303
Default

of Fargo

 
FlamingGlobes is offline
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Google


Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Deftones album review that compares them to Pumpkins Catherine Wheel Pumpkins Archive 30 03-17-2013 05:44 PM
deftones ZWANPHONY Music Board Archive 12 10-11-2007 10:07 AM
SP / Deftones / Trail of Dead Baalzevuv Music Board Archive 29 07-18-2007 05:57 PM
Post your Winamp Playlists! Mr. Rhinoceros General Chat Archive 19 01-19-2003 10:31 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:11 PM.




Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright © 1998-2020