Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2012, 04:45 PM   #61
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

real thread. real people.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #62
MusicMan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
if you don't fuck with other people to get your jollies you're probably not a sociopath

Old 10-21-2012, 06:00 PM   #63
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

i mean fuck with them as in gaslighting them or looking for ways to them to "accidentally" get hurt or just enjoying humiliating someone or making them go against their morals and things like that

not calling them an idiot on a forum

Old 10-21-2012, 07:46 PM   #64
null123
Minion of Satan

Looks like I was only a sociopath until about age 12

Old 10-21-2012, 08:04 PM   #65
null123
Minion of Satan

The narcissism thing is interesting. But I feel like those behaviors are not unique to a narcissist at all. I don't know how they come up with these classifications

Old 10-21-2012, 08:06 PM   #66
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

yeah, it's the extremities that one goes to. they are common to all people to some extent or another

Old 10-21-2012, 08:08 PM   #67
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

i mean all people like being liked and maybe like being hated to some extent but a narcissist to the extend of having NPD literally lives for it, like there is no joy in anything else. a narcissist could never be happy alone for extended periods. their entire life is one upping the world. it's a game.

this is interesting, a narcssist talking about narcissism: http://samvak.tripod.com/faq23.html

i'm not saying all he says is correct, but his narcissistic supply is educating the world about narcissistic supply so it's an interesting little circle there

i saw this stuff a long time ago and he just writes more and more and more

I bet his doctorate is from a fringe school, if he really has one at all.

check out his take on what NPD "is": http://samvak.tripod.com/npdglance.html

Last edited by reprise85 : 10-21-2012 at 08:15 PM.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:15 PM   #68
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

a narcissist will always, always, ALWAYS make everything about him/her if it is at all possible

like that violentacrez guy. watch the video with him. it's not about what he did. it's not about being outed. it's about him losing his job. it's about what it personally does to him, not anyone else.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:21 PM   #69
null123
Minion of Satan

Well shit. My therapist suggested that one of my parents is a narcissist but I never really looked into it until now.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:38 PM   #70
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

yeah mr. wonderful i spent time with is most definitely a narcissist, probably a sociopath as well but definitely a fucking narcissist

once you can spot it it can be sort of fun to work them up lol, not that i ever do but i've been tempted before. i've only known two other people i would consider obvious people with full blown NPD

seriously, shit will always be about them. the guy i was with ruined my graduation as valedictorian because i touched the salutorian's arm when all the students were walking into the awards hall. some guy i'd never met before and would never meet again (online school). but of course it wasn't about that, it was about making sure i wasn't empowered, god forbid anything purely good made me feel good and forget about him for a moment. cause it's all about him.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:15 PM   #71
null123
Minion of Satan

Yeah I usually don't like to think about it but I'm at a point where i kinda have to decide what I'm gonna do about some of my familial relationships. I'm a little freaked out

Old 10-21-2012, 10:45 PM   #72
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmbag View Post
Yeah I usually don't like to think about it but I'm at a point where i kinda have to decide what I'm gonna do about some of my familial relationships. I'm a little freaked out
yeah i hear you. things will be ok i'm kinda there too now, different routes and all that but shit's being redefined and since we're not children anymore we have a say, you know? it's good, but hard, and sad, and fill in your blanks here... take care of yourself

Old 10-21-2012, 10:55 PM   #73
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank496 View Post
we went to a gay bar tonight and some guy told me i have a nice cock in the bathroom.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:13 PM   #74
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

I always feel like I'm something when I read the list of behaviors. I just think too much about myself I guess.

Sometimes I wonder if a lot of really rich people are narcissists.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:26 PM   #75
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

i really think Vaknin has a good introduction to it:

"Pathological narcissism is a life-long pattern of traits and behaviours which signify infatuation and obsession with one's self to the exclusion of all others and the egotistic and ruthless pursuit of one's gratification, dominance and ambition."

Sometimes you get weird hybrids like not all sociopaths are narcissists, and I would think the ones that aren't are more likely to be "successful", because they just want what they want and don't absolutely need their ego felated by others, as they can get that satisfaction from themselves for being clever or whatever. Whereas a narcissist needs someone to tell them they are, for example, clever or smart to feel good so there's always that other person that they need as a witness to their grandiosity.

Last edited by reprise85 : 10-21-2012 at 11:32 PM.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:32 PM   #76
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

i have read way too much about this stuff but it was mostly a few years ago. i had to understand what happened to me and how someone can... be this way

if anyone's really interested in sociopathy i recommend reading the psychopathy checklist by robert hare

it is used in prison systems for parole hearings and things like that to determine if someone is a good or bad candidate for recidivism. psychopaths almost always will re-victimize and the score, even if not elevated to that of sociopath/psychopath, gives good insight into the person's psyche

also keep in mind that on tests like the minnesota multiphasic personality inventory, people who have been victims of abuse and people with PTSD tend to score higher on the psychopathic deviate scale and other kind of anger/rebellion scales so it's important to have perspective that having traits is not the same thing as being a full-fledged "whatever"... also sort of insightful on how this kind of thing passes on from adult to child and what have you

have i bored everyone yet and done enough post/av/locs?

Last edited by reprise85 : 10-21-2012 at 11:38 PM.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:53 PM   #77
Luke de Spa
someone more...punk rock?

Location: Ice cream pig out in M1-aud is why i don't play plug in baby the wrong way, like you

what's a sociopath? what's a narcissist?

Old 10-22-2012, 12:15 AM   #78
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

they are words society uses to describe clusters of traits certain people have

Old 10-22-2012, 03:21 AM   #79
Starla

It's some borderline personality disorders that scare me. Psychopaths are easier to spot. But BPD people take awhile to show their true colors, and when it all comes out... sometimes it's hard to break away. BPD people are good at playing games, are intuitive, and know how to manipulate easily. They seem to be very charismatic people, with outgoing personalities too... but they have a shit ton of baggage they are dealing with and are mostly terrified of abandonment (in some cases).

Old 10-22-2012, 04:22 AM   #80
mercurial
$ W▲ G

Could you know? If you were a sociopath would you be able to tell?

Old 10-22-2012, 06:03 AM   #81
Luke de Spa

Location: Ice cream pig out in M1-aud is why i don't play plug in baby the wrong way, like you

Quote:
they are words society uses to describe clusters of traits certain people have
thank you, yes, words are words people use to describe other words, thanks

seriously two pages and no working definitions WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THAT

ALSO WHAT'S ALL THIS HIPINION WHATEVERS I DON'T KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON WITH THAT

Old 10-22-2012, 06:07 AM   #82
Luke de Spa

Old 10-22-2012, 09:45 AM   #83
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke de Spa View Post
thank you, yes, words are words people use to describe other words, thanks

seriously two pages and no working definitions WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THAT

ALSO WHAT'S ALL THIS HIPINION WHATEVERS I DON'T KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON WITH THAT
im sure a doctor could give you better working definitions

most words describe other words and explain concepts, that's how our minds work and how we communicate. i dont know what you expect. all i can tell you is that there is a very specific cluster of traits a narcissist has that most people do not to any great extent. it is something one understands more when they see it in action, because yes words fail us at many things

Old 10-22-2012, 09:48 AM   #84
Dead Frequency
Minion of Satan

Location: They don't know who did it, but they're looking for hardened criminals

I offer my friends help when they have to move

Old 10-23-2012, 12:38 AM   #85
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starla View Post
It's some borderline personality disorders that scare me. Psychopaths are easier to spot. But BPD people take awhile to show their true colors, and when it all comes out... sometimes it's hard to break away. BPD people are good at playing games, are intuitive, and know how to manipulate easily. They seem to be very charismatic people, with outgoing personalities too... but they have a shit ton of baggage they are dealing with and are mostly terrified of abandonment (in some cases).
i used to be concerned that i might have BPD since it's so often related to trauma and PTSD and i used to be a major self harmer and stuff, but i asked my therapist recently and she sorta laughed at me. i know i had talked about it with my psychiatrist a long time ago and he was like... no, i dont think so but now it's much more obvious that i don't have an personality pathology

it's just sort of an irrational fear after having so many inpatient stays and blah blah blah because it was fairly common although i'd say many were just dumped in that category because they self harmed and were treatment resistant. luckily i missed that stigma, there's a lot about BPD that seems... well, it doesn't seem as a solid of a diagnosis as something like NPD or ASPD or really most of the other personality disorders. i guess you're right that it's harder to see, i suppose the DSM 5 is addressing that, at least that's the idea

Old 10-23-2012, 01:08 AM   #86
Luke de Spa

Quote:
im sure a doctor could give you better working definitions

most words describe other words and explain concepts, that's how our minds work and how we communicate. i dont know what you expect. all i can tell you is that there is a very specific cluster of traits a narcissist has that most people do not to any great extent. it is something one understands more when they see it in action, because yes words fail us at many things
"an x is someone who exhibits the traits associated with being an x" is circular

a usable definition needs to actually enumerate said traits

Old 10-23-2012, 01:17 AM   #87
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

well, if you'd like a definition of a sociopath you could read Hare's Psychopathy Checklist which does just that, enumerating said traits. it is not quite something i can do here or would attempt, nor would it be accessible to most people without further knowledge of terms

"an x is someone who exhibits y number out of z traits, and these are the traits" is what the actual definition would consist of. there are more detail than "a sociopath is a person who exhibits traits associate with being a sociopath". it is "we see these cluster of traits in some people and as a whole they cause a disproportionate amount of trauma in general society [this is just an example] and so we are classifying them under this classification to further understand these types of people and do x, y and z"

where x could be reduce recidivism by not giving them early release
or attempt y intervention
or protect z people from this type of predator

etc etc

there are uses for this stuff, you know.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:47 AM   #88
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

what's a narciopath? What's a Sociocist?

Old 10-23-2012, 01:50 AM   #89
noyen
Immortal

only a narcissist sociopath would change the definition of those words to suit a negative diagnoses of it.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:52 AM   #90
TuralyonW3
Immortal

due bro these are just like labels and stuff one man uses to feel superior to his brother man