Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > Music News and Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2020, 12:00 PM   #331
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKeyZ View Post
I don't know, it's just nothing really new. It has elements of all the stuff I love from Deftones, but it was all done previously and it was done better the first time. I don't hate it, but it's nothing groundbreaking. It's just Deftones. Just sounds like them repeating themselves. I've listened to it a few times and I can only really remember 2 or 3 tracks from it. I'm just not getting a "wow" feeling from it.

Gore is not their Zeitgeist. Gore is their Adore. And all the haters years from now are gonna be like, "Actually, Gore is pretty good." Just like the folks who hated on Saturday Night Wrist and now praise it. Gore is such a triumphant record. I think that's why I love it. Ohms is kinda glum. I hear the riffs, but they just sound a bit same old been there, done that. I kinda wish they pushed the synths even more. Those were the elements I dug from it. Like I really dug Urantia, but then it kinda just keeps repeating itself. There were moments in songs, a riff would come in and I'd think, "Oh, it would've been better if they did this over it," but the riff just repeats itself and never evolves. With some extra layers, extra guitars, could, make it more interesting. I had a lot of that, "Oh, I wish they kinda did this with that riff" or "A lead guitar over that would take it to another level." But what is there just feels more simple and not as exciting.

Played my girl Ohms for the first time the other day and she was way more harsher on it than me. She wasn't too thrilled. She said it was kinda meh. That it all kinda just bled together and was a watered down version of what they've already done. She got into them around White Pony and was a fan of self titled. She liked Urantia though. She said Gore is more memorable.

I want to love it. I just feel blah from it. Has Deftones ever released a "bad" album? No.

Ohms is a 6.8 out of 10 for me. Perhaps it'll change over time. It sadly wasn't love at first sight.

And if wanna talk about bad production, the award goes to Adrenaline. It sounds like someone cranked the treble and forgot about all the other frequencies. Reminds me of listening to an old cassette tape.
Gore is terrible, the band hates it even. It was rushed and it shows. Bad production. Those are just facts.

Old 10-03-2020, 04:06 PM   #332
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quit spouting off your opinion as fact. Gore is a great album and there’s plenty of people who like it. The only one in the band who didn’t like it was Stef because he was being a little bitch. Prayers/Triangles is one of their best singles ever.

Old 10-03-2020, 04:27 PM   #333
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
Gore is terrible, the band hates it even. It was rushed and it shows. Bad production. Those are just facts.
Chino hated and bashed Saturday Night Wrist. He still talked shit about it in 2016. So I could give a shit what Chino thinks is a crappy album. And Stef being a little bitch. "Wah, there's no riffs." Now we get riffs from Stef and he gives us generic riffs on Ohms.

Bad production? I guess Mellon Collie had shit production in your opinion then? Because Mellon Collie had many moments of being a muddy mess and drums buried in a mix.

I think 2020 has been such a crazy and shitty year for people that they're desperate for something familiar. Something safe and unchallenging to feel like they have some sense of normalcy. Hence praising an album that sounds exactly like a generic Deftones album with stuff we've heard before. They're repeating themselves.

You have a very loud minority of Gore haters forcing Chino to have to bash the album. Just like the same folks who bashed SNW and Chino suddenly hated it. What I've learned from all this, Chino needs to grow a backbone, Stef's riffs are just ok and didn't give anything new, and people will run to the familiar when the world is going insane. Ohms is their safety blanket.

Those are just facts.

Old 10-03-2020, 05:03 PM   #334
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Quote:
I have no idea how a Deftones fan can’t absolutely love this album
it doesn't really make sense to me either. album is essentially them taking every stride & progression they've made since Chi passed away & bringing it back to their very first producer for something that's both a celebration of who they are now & who they were then. great fucking record for anyone who's actually liked the band's output post-SNW & hasn't just been hanging on for some sort of unsatisfiable nostalgia fest

Old 10-03-2020, 06:47 PM   #335
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

I don’t SOAD but I didn’t really think he ruined that song. That’s a good one, whatever it’s called. Lol

Old 10-03-2020, 06:49 PM   #336
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Goldberg View Post
it doesn't really make sense to me either. album is essentially them taking every stride & progression they've made since Chi passed away & bringing it back to their very first producer for something that's both a celebration of who they are now & who they were then. great fucking record for anyone who's actually liked the band's output post-SNW & hasn't just been hanging on for some sort of unsatisfiable nostalgia fest
It’s good but it’s not some quantum leap from SNW. If anything it sounds like them reverting to that style more than anything. This album is essentially SNW part 2.

Old 10-03-2020, 06:57 PM   #337
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

soad are in exactly the same league as Deftones

Old 10-03-2020, 07:12 PM   #338
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Not even close in my opinion. I’ve always thought soad is kind of shit.

Old 10-03-2020, 08:46 PM   #339
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Saturday Night Wrist is half garbage though and Chino sounds awful

Old 10-03-2020, 08:47 PM   #340
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
Quit spouting off your opinion as fact. Gore is a great album and there’s plenty of people who like it. The only one in the band who didn’t like it was Stef because he was being a little bitch. Prayers/Triangles is one of their best singles ever.
And Chino. They literally admitted the album was rushed and they didn’t give a shit. Shut up houseofass

Old 10-03-2020, 08:48 PM   #341
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

I’m spouting it as fact because you’re a fucking retard if you disagree

Old 10-03-2020, 09:06 PM   #342
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatvegetable View Post
What a load of fucking shite. Maybe it's a bit too complex/sophisticated for your infantile appreciation of music.
Yeah that 4 minute discussion about anal sex residue in the middle of the album is super deep

Old 10-03-2020, 09:06 PM   #343
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Or do you like greasy hand jobs in truck stop bathrooms?

Old 10-03-2020, 09:09 PM   #344
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Chino’s voice cracking in Rats Rats Rats is so deep

Old 10-03-2020, 09:13 PM   #345
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
If you like superficial, gimmicky, faux emotional dogshit, they're leagues above.
but only if I like superficial dogshit?

Old 10-03-2020, 09:13 PM   #346
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
What a load of fucking shite. Maybe it's a bit too complex/sophisticated for your infantile appreciation of music.
looooool

Old 10-03-2020, 09:14 PM   #347
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
but only if I like superficial dogshit?
You have to like dogshit under your foreskin to understand SNW

Old 10-03-2020, 09:37 PM   #348
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
I’m spouting it as fact because you’re a fucking retard if you disagree
Cool any other slurs you’d like to i,nclude while you’re at it?

Old 10-03-2020, 09:43 PM   #349
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
Cool any other slurs you’d like to i,nclude while you’re at it?
Honkie

Old 10-03-2020, 10:08 PM   #350
Shallowed
Braindead

ok

Old 10-03-2020, 10:39 PM   #351
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Also, Chino said to Annie Hardey that she can say what she wants in that part - so the discredit doesn't go to 'tones. I know that because her and I hung out and she was going to sing on my album (which shits on Ohms) before Nicole took the gig.
oh no you’re serious

Old 10-03-2020, 11:03 PM   #352
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Ok let’s hear your album then veg, put ur money where ur mouth is

Old 10-04-2020, 12:35 AM   #353
Shallowed
Braindead

And then take your dick out of my ass and put it in my mouth

Old 10-04-2020, 01:11 AM   #354
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Oh hai Billy didn’t know it was you

Old 10-04-2020, 08:17 AM   #355
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

i plugged it in you last night.
was that not enough?

Old 10-04-2020, 12:34 PM   #356
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKeyZ View Post
Gore is not their Zeitgeist. Gore is their Adore.
Adore was the record that drastically and forever altered SP's sound, expanded their palette to incorporate a variety of soundscapes veering completely away from familiar territory, that marked a permanent change in their output and was a real no-looking-back moment.

Very few bands have that, and if Deftones do, it was White Pony/Self-titled.

Gore is not a 180 turn away from everything they've done before. It's as much familiar as it is experimental.

Old 10-04-2020, 04:51 PM   #357
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Ha, if you do like it, as if you'd admit it!
I’m open minded. You can’t just drop a statement like “my album shits on the deftones” and then not let us hear it. If you’re that confident in it our opinions won’t sway you.

Old 10-04-2020, 04:51 PM   #358
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
i plugged it in you last night.
was that not enough?
It’s never enough

Old 10-04-2020, 09:22 PM   #359
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
Adore was the record that drastically and forever altered SP's sound, expanded their palette to incorporate a variety of soundscapes veering completely away from familiar territory, that marked a permanent change in their output and was a real no-looking-back moment.

Very few bands have that, and if Deftones do, it was White Pony/Self-titled.

Gore is not a 180 turn away from everything they've done before. It's as much familiar as it is experimental.
Machina sounds nothing like Adore. Adore was Adore and Billy has never ever captured that magic again. Machinas were a bloated mess where Billy tried to make another Mellon Collie opus and failed. You cannot find Adore on Machina or any other Billy release that has come since. And, no, The Future Embrace nor the new garbage he put out sounds like Adore. I hear people compare the new stuff to Adore and think, "What the hell are you smoking?" White Pony/Self Titled is more like their Mellon Collie. A matured and dynamic sound that brought them into an ever bigger spotlight. Made people realize they're more than just some nu metal band, kinda like how Mellon Collie showed SP were something more.

I compared Gore to Adore as it sticks out from all other Deftones albums. SNW also sticks out, but I think Gore sticks out even more as SNW still has that darkness of Deftones. To me, Gore is a progression from tracks like Be Quiet And Drive, Boys Republic, Minerva, Cherry Waves, 976-Evil, This Place Is Death, Romantic Dreams, Entombed, Rosemary. Powerful and uplifting rather than dark and brooding. Gore is an triumphant sounding record and that's why I love it.

I guess it could be looked at as a good thing when you put on the latest Deftones album and you can go, "Yup, sounds like Deftones" whereas with Smashing Pumpkins, you put on the latest stuff and you're like, "Who the fuck made this Night Dreamer wannabe?" At least Ohms sounds like they're still trying. They have some life and energy left in them. Billy on the other hand, wow, what a fall from grace.

Last edited by MyKeyZ : 10-04-2020 at 09:30 PM.

Old 10-04-2020, 10:15 PM   #360
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
I actually think The Future Embrace is fucking brilliant. I listened to it today (I lost my CD way before smart phones became the go to for music), so I had to on YouTube. The tones are incredible, the melodies are unique and powerful and it's such a unique sounding album. All that stuff about it being a Depech Mode rip off is nonsense.

New SP: Night Dreamer wannabe - I'll go with that. So disappointing.
I'm a drum/beat guy. I played drums in bands when I was younger and I'm also an electronic music producer. My problem with The Future Embrace is the drum programming. That album pretty much has 3 or so drum kits that get used on multiple tracks. It just sticks out and bugs me. I found that part lazy. Plus Billy ain't the best drum programmer. Something also bugs me with Oceania as well. The drum sound of Oceania never changes. They sound more like preset drums than live drums.