Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 07-15-2022, 10:28 PM   #121
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

snark

snarkity snark snark snaark

snaaaaaark

snaaaaaaaaaaaaaark

Old 07-15-2022, 11:48 PM   #122
slunken
Virgo

definitely fit for education

Old 07-15-2022, 11:50 PM   #123
slunken
Virgo

look at his location status ewwwwwwww

Old 07-15-2022, 11:52 PM   #124
slunken
Virgo

Old 07-16-2022, 12:12 AM   #125
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
you seem really chill and even-tempered and meant for teaching tho for sure
I never even said anywhere I was aiming to teach anyone, you illiterate fucking imbecile.

I could list my reasons for wanting to learn, but I'm not giving you the opportunity to take more unwarranted troll potshots at them.

I should have known better than to actually try and have a dialogue with you over the fact that you constantly slag off the entire notion of adjusting MII in any way shape or form out of nowhere on a regular basis like it personally offends you. Seems like it does; I can't think of any other reason for the hostility..aside from the fact that passive-aggressive trolling and sarcasm constitutes your entire shtick and it's the only way you're able to communicate - in a way you see as clever but actually comes off boorish and rude, like a relic from Something Awful circa 2003.

I'll just close by suggesting that I think you could vastly improve future listening experiences of the likes of MCIS, Adore or SD by your own standards by wrapping your speakers in three blankets and submerging them in a bathtub during play. Following which, you may wish to consider throwing in a toaster for some nice buzziness and then, naturally, jumping in yourself for a fully immersive experience.

Old 07-16-2022, 12:13 AM   #126
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Thank you, I do bat mitzvas, remember to tip your waitress

Old 07-16-2022, 12:20 AM   #127
slunken
Virgo

this is tee-ball

are you guys pranking me?

Old 07-16-2022, 01:34 AM   #128
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

No, pranking would be telling some dude his SP cover posted on here was good

Old 07-16-2022, 05:25 AM   #129
TheSultanOfCyr
Ownz

I think if this artist had spend more time on this painting, it could actually have been a compelling piece of art that had the potential to truly move me. For now though, it is a worthless, boring, irredeemable cacophony of colour that would be better suited scraping the detritus of a dog’s bowels from my shoes than it would being hung up in a gallery of even the slightest prestige. Machina II sucks. Get over it, bozos. I lied. I don’t even like Slow Dawn. I prefer FOL. FEELALO!!!

Old 07-16-2022, 12:34 PM   #130
slunken
Virgo

there's magic everywhere!

Old 07-16-2022, 01:31 PM   #131
T&T
Socialphobic

I like the fuzzed out REAL LOVE, and wouldn't change any level on it. leave the tape hiss in there. the horns (um,, they're synths obviously) intro is mixed in just fine.

Try v2... well it's a v2 and I never needed a second version of it. I could never understand how 2 versions of the same song could be part of billy's "plan". it's not. all the v2's are filler. Even deux machina instrumental is filler, - the core of it fit into the G&GC interlude.

Machina 1 it self isn't complete. it's a hack comprimize turning a double album into a single disk. It is itself an unfinished artwork.

On the subject of "off the floor" recordings - Yes, SP who is renouned for their "70 guitar overdubs", but you can't forget how many of those recordings have an initial "off the floor" backing track. Lots of MCIS used the pumpkinland "off the floor" live takes. It's a solid approach to getting a rocking performance. Obviously this isn't the type of approach needed for a track like 1979, but it's what was needed for XYU.

moment of truth Shaladoo - name the school. Trebas, Musictechnic, Vanier ART, RecordinArtsCanada ???

Old 07-16-2022, 02:59 PM   #132
slunken
Virgo

I like the different lyrics of Try v2

Old 07-16-2022, 03:12 PM   #133
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
I like the fuzzed out REAL LOVE, and wouldn't change any level on it. leave the tape hiss in there. the horns (um,, they're synths obviously) intro is mixed in just fine.

Try v2... well it's a v2 and I never needed a second version of it. I could never understand how 2 versions of the same song could be part of billy's "plan". it's not. all the v2's are filler. Even deux machina instrumental is filler, - the core of it fit into the G&GC interlude.

Machina 1 it self isn't complete. it's a hack comprimize turning a double album into a single disk. It is itself an unfinished artwork.

On the subject of "off the floor" recordings - Yes, SP who is renouned for their "70 guitar overdubs", but you can't forget how many of those recordings have an initial "off the floor" backing track. Lots of MCIS used the pumpkinland "off the floor" live takes. It's a solid approach to getting a rocking performance. Obviously this isn't the type of approach needed for a track like 1979, but it's what was needed for XYU.

moment of truth Shaladoo - name the school. Trebas, Musictechnic, Vanier ART, RecordinArtsCanada ???
As far as multiple versions of Try goes, I'd put that down to that they used to take different approaches to songs and went with the best one, like how there's also a more rocking version of Ugly. Always thought Le Deux Machina was maybe meant to be an interlude track that closed off a disc, or whatever, like a leitmotif for the album.

Vanier ART program is what I'm attending.

Old 07-16-2022, 08:00 PM   #134
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
I like the different lyrics of Try v2
agree

pours down the back of the bitter son // desperate for love and loves everyone

Old 07-16-2022, 08:21 PM   #135
TheSultanOfCyr
Ownz

“pop tart
did you flatter
when they spoke
of my disasters
at thirteen I lost my compass
but I'm sure it's all accomplished
as desires burn my ghost trains
like you said
when it rains it pours down the back of a bitter sun
desperate for love and loves everyone
in my mother's arms no simple harm
conspires to hold on”

Best thing Billy has ever written.

Old 07-16-2022, 08:35 PM   #136
TheSultanOfCyr
Ownz

And that little fucken ‘no no’ he does towards the end OH MY GOD!!! OHHHHHHH!!! AUGH!!!

Old 07-16-2022, 09:33 PM   #137
slunken
Virgo

damn what a song

Old 07-16-2022, 09:34 PM   #138
slunken
Virgo

in the original version the lines about "skinned knees, you never listen" almost breaks me down every time

Old 07-16-2022, 10:32 PM   #139
Baffler_Meal
Mothmonsterman

I don't think I've seen many people here rank Machina 2 at the top of their album lists, but it is great to see how much it resonates with some of us. I think a lot of it holds up and still gives me the same chills that it did over 20 years ago. In some ways it was the last group of tracks that Billy's magic was still potent and somewhat plentiful. That isn't to say you couldn't find it at all afterwards, but Machina 2 really feels like a swan song for that band and for that moment.

I'm sure that my teenage hormones from when I first heard the album during high school colors it with too much nostalgia. But even the build up to listening was intense. I remember spending hours downloading the album over dialup and reserving the CD-Rs to burn it.

Old 07-16-2022, 10:40 PM   #140
slunken
Virgo

i've got a nice story for you.

M2 was released online (duh) when i had just started college. i was working a holiday job at an amusement park and just mentioned to a guy i had become friendly with about the album being released online. the very next weekend he hooked me up with two burned cdrs of the entire thing. i've never been more astonished in my life because this dude was a literal stranger to me.

100% changed my life

Old 07-17-2022, 04:39 AM   #141
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

cool story

I remember downloading real audio files and hating that it was in fucking real audio files but in those days when you found it you just took it lol

Old 07-17-2022, 04:45 AM   #142
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

both Try's are great songs but it seems like the alt version arrangement does the song far more justice. the album version of Try always felt a little like a studio miss for me even though it's still a good song

Both versions of Atom Bomb are also great but again - especially the new wave version

All those years later one day it just kinda randomly hit me, how powerful is it for a band's last recorded statement to be "we are the hole in the wall"

last line on the last song of the last ghost mixtape

Old 07-17-2022, 05:44 AM   #143
TheSultanOfCyr
Ownz

Machina II took on a greater significance for me in later years. When I was younger I was only really into the bashers and crashers on the record like Glass’ Theme, Dross, especially Blue Skies, but the switch flipped one night years back when I was walking between villages to some camping thing my mates were doing. Had the album shuffling in my earbuds, when this version of Try came on. I was convinced it was the greatest thing I’d ever heard. It hit hard. I was going through stuff at the time so I wasn’t really present when I got there, but instead I just walked down to the end of the field on that starry night just to listen to that version of Try, again, and again. I had work in the dockyards the next day, my self-isolation from my friends was at its worst, but in that moment nothing felt as important as that song. I walked home that night with the feeling of absolute elation at my discovery.

Old 07-17-2022, 06:20 AM   #144
Shallowed
Braindead

Machina II was the third SP album i ever heard after SD and MCIS

was pretty hyped to discover that my new favourite band released an album for free online

i found it about as hit-or-miss as MCIS

when it hit, it really fucking hit

when it missed, it was still pretty good

at least for the misses, MII had the excuse of its circumstances

Old 07-17-2022, 10:01 AM   #145
ourruseoffools
Apocalyptic Poster

the argument isnt whether machina 2 is good or not... the argument is if slow dawn is mid or not and if atom bomb is better. it is

Old 07-17-2022, 10:26 AM   #146
Shallowed
Braindead

the argument never need be made in the first place

you got your answer anyway

fuck outta here

Old 07-17-2022, 12:28 PM   #147
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Lol....cmon kids. Isnt this netphoria a place for love and understanding?

Old 07-17-2022, 01:17 PM   #148
TheSultanOfCyr
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourruseoffools View Post
the argument isnt whether machina 2 is good or not... the argument is if slow dawn is mid or not and if atom bomb is better. it is
Brother - we’re tryna gush over Machina II here! You tryna smother the love???

Old 07-17-2022, 01:22 PM   #149
TheSultanOfCyr
Ownz

I jest - you are a good man. Slow Dawn is far from this word ‘mid’ you youngsters use, but I agree - Atom Bomb is better!

Old 07-17-2022, 02:20 PM   #150
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

I love almost all trax, except soul power, glass and lucky13

The rest is superb. Favourites: home, vanity, try alt., Dross and slow dawn