Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 12-15-2007, 11:34 PM   #31
KrazeeStacee

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabody
It was crowded and people kept laughing at really inappropriate parts...like when the dog dies, or when Will smith is going insane and shoots the mannequin... I didn't think that was supposed to be funny.
Well, the part where he says "If you're real, Fred, you better tell me now!" was pretty funny.

But yeah, we had the same problem and there were these people behind me mumbling the whole movie, especially during all the quiet scenes. Then they'd miss something and the one would ask the other what he said...

Some dude was cackling when Will Smith was doing the pull ups in the doorway...wtf?

Old 12-15-2007, 11:35 PM   #32
KrazeeStacee

Quote:
Originally Posted by the antipop
Thanks a lot.
If you see the preview, they give that away. I mean come on, could you not have guessed?

Old 12-15-2007, 11:38 PM   #33
KrazeeStacee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mablak
The reason for the title of the movie is like, totally opposite to the reason for the title of the book. I think the ending at least would've been a bit more satisfying if they stuck to the book.

I found it a little irritating how Will Smith was a Lieutenant, scientist, and one of the only people immune to the virus, whereas he's more of a normal person in the book, I don't know why they felt the need to push the audience's limits in their suspension of disbelief.
What's the book ending? The major part I was so "eh" about the movie was the ending - apparently they changed it at the last minute or something to "fit with the character"...so I'm curious what they changed.

Spoiler maybe?

Also the ending seemed really rushed, I basically would have been happy if the woman never showed up...it went downhill after that.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:44 AM   #34
RenewRevive
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious
no it was actually the last man on earth with vincent price

damn guy
quite true. i should have remembered that. never actually seen this film though; any good?

Old 12-16-2007, 03:30 AM   #35
ryan patrick
Apocalyptic Poster

this was a pretty big disappointment, lame cgi, awful script, surprisingly smith's acting was the only good thing going on

Old 12-16-2007, 07:24 AM   #36
TuralyonW3
Immortal

i'm kinda surprised to hear all the comments about the lame cgi. the budget for this thing must have been huge right wtf?

Old 12-16-2007, 08:06 AM   #37
cork_soaker
full of longing

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazeeStacee

Some dude was cackling when Will Smith was doing the pull ups in the doorway...wtf?
that is pretty funny though

Old 12-16-2007, 08:11 AM   #38
SlingeroGuitaro
Starbucks addicted minion

yeah, this movie is a piece of shit compared to the book. i just got back. that's a fucking hollywood ending if i've ever seen one

Old 12-16-2007, 06:53 PM   #39
Debaser
ghost

Quote:
What's the book ending? The major part I was so "eh" about the movie was the ending - apparently they changed it at the last minute or something to "fit with the character"...so I'm curious what they changed.

Spoiler maybe?.
wow. way different. The whole movie. Looks like the only thing they stuck to from the book was the main character's name.

(this spoils what sounds like to be a good book)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_am_legend

Old 12-26-2007, 02:30 PM   #40
Nimrod's Son
Master of Karate and Friendship

holy shit was that movie awful. they took out the vampires and made them into zombies, they made the dog a part of his backstory, he wasn't just a common man anymore, he was some sort of military badass scientist, they took out the still living... and the ending was hollywood pap. holy fuck do not see this movie

Old 12-26-2007, 02:31 PM   #41
Nimrod's Son

Quote:

Spoiler maybe?

Also the ending seemed really rushed, I basically would have been happy if the woman never showed up...it went downhill after that.
they couldn't really have changed the ending from what was in the book because they would have had to change the story about halfway through the flick to introduce the major antagonists

Old 12-26-2007, 02:44 PM   #42
KrazeeStacee

I see...well I'm about to read that wiki link. I saw the book at Borders and contemplated picking it up but didn't. I think I will once I read all the books I got for Christmas.

And for the record, pale creatures that move fast, drink blood, and burn in the sunlight are vampires.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:55 PM   #43
KrazeeStacee

Well I read the wiki on the book and yeah, sounds like they just based the idea for the movie off of the book. I think the whole idea of the still living people is pretty cool and would've liked to see that in the movie instead of that stupid lady and her kid. That explains the whole "I Am Legend" thing a lot more...that's one thing I didn't really get how it tied into the movie. He's a legend to the vampires? He's a legend to the people because he had special blood that helped them? It wasn't really obvious, but the book version seems like it puts that point across really well.

The only thing I have to say I think I'd like better, obviously, was the role the dog played in the movie. It was extra heart-breaking because he'd had this dog for 3 years and it's been his only companion, the only living being he had to talk to and to comfort him. The last bit of sanity he had to hold onto. Etc, etc.

I really wish the last half of the movie would've been better story-wise because even though it didn't follow the book entirely, I would've probably thought it was a good movie.

Old 12-26-2007, 03:19 PM   #44
Nimrod's Son

Quote:
I see...well I'm about to read that wiki link. I saw the book at Borders and contemplated picking it up but didn't. I think I will once I read all the books I got for Christmas.

And for the record, pale creatures that move fast, drink blood, and burn in the sunlight are vampires.
the only relation they had to vampires was the sunlight. seriously if you read the book it explains aversions to mirror and crosses, weaknesses to garlic, the need to decapitate or run a stake through the heart, etc. they were vampires

Old 12-26-2007, 03:20 PM   #45
Nimrod's Son

Quote:
Well I read the wiki on the book and yeah, sounds like they just based the idea for the movie off of the book. I think the whole idea of the still living people is pretty cool and would've liked to see that in the movie instead of that stupid lady and her kid. That explains the whole "I Am Legend" thing a lot more...that's one thing I didn't really get how it tied into the movie. He's a legend to the vampires? He's a legend to the people because he had special blood that helped them? It wasn't really obvious, but the book version seems like it puts that point across really well.

The only thing I have to say I think I'd like better, obviously, was the role the dog played in the movie. It was extra heart-breaking because he'd had this dog for 3 years and it's been his only companion, the only living being he had to talk to and to comfort him. The last bit of sanity he had to hold onto. Etc, etc.

I really wish the last half of the movie would've been better story-wise because even though it didn't follow the book entirely, I would've probably thought it was a good movie.
minor changes for cinema are fine - like the dog, or that it's set in NY. no big deal.

but at least keep him as an everyman and don't eliminate the still living. ugh that ending was terrible.

Old 12-26-2007, 03:44 PM   #46
KrazeeStacee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod's Son
the only relation they had to vampires was the sunlight. seriously if you read the book it explains aversions to mirror and crosses, weaknesses to garlic, the need to decapitate or run a stake through the heart, etc. they were vampires
Well yeah, I read about that in the wiki but just because he doesn't get into details about their other weaknesses doesn't mean they weren't vampires. I don't think they had enough time in the movie to talk about all that shit and it's kind of implied these days.

That's a vampire, dude.

Old 12-26-2007, 03:46 PM   #47
KrazeeStacee

Quote:
minor changes for cinema are fine - like the dog, or that it's set in NY. no big deal.

but at least keep him as an everyman and don't eliminate the still living. ugh that ending was terrible.
Well I'm saying...that it seems like they made him some military scientist superhero because that pretty much answers right there how he's immune, how he knows so much about this shit, and how he "knows" there's no one left, how he has that lab in his basement, etc.

As for the still living, I agree completely. I'd have loved to see the movie's story take a similar turn.

Old 12-26-2007, 04:31 PM   #48
???
Minion of Satan

ok, one question: in the movie, do the vampires/zombies retain any shred of humanity, or are they just mindless ravenous beasts like in 28 days later? can they talk or anything? when they surround will (like in that photo above) that suggests to me that they're still intelligent on some level rather than unstoppable predators like the Rage victims.

Old 12-26-2007, 04:44 PM   #49
KrazeeStacee

One would assume from all the evidence in the movie that they're just unstoppable predators. i.e., his rat subjects, his human subject, and the fact that they will try to step out into the sunlight, knowing that it'll kill them, just so they can kill ol' dude.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:00 PM   #50
cork_soaker
full of longing

Quote:
http://www.best-horror-movies.com/im...pleys-face.jpg

Old 12-26-2007, 05:10 PM   #51
???
Minion of Satan

haha.

Old 12-26-2007, 06:53 PM   #52
Nimrod's Son

Quote:
Well I'm saying...that it seems like they made him some military scientist superhero because that pretty much answers right there how he's immune, how he knows so much about this shit, and how he "knows" there's no one left, how he has that lab in his basement, etc.

As for the still living, I agree completely. I'd have loved to see the movie's story take a similar turn.
but the kid wasn't a superhero badass. neither was the woman, or any of the others immune.

it is far more interesting to see a common man thrust into those circumstances than a badass military scientist.

Old 12-26-2007, 07:00 PM   #53
Sam Vimes
Demi-God

Maybe i missed something, but who the fuck laid out the Fred-trap he ran into?
Or was he already losing his mind and forgot about it?

Old 12-26-2007, 07:09 PM   #54
Nimrod's Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Vimes
Maybe i missed something, but who the fuck laid out the Fred-trap he ran into?
Or was he already losing his mind and forgot about it?
it was the "smart" infected leader guy, the same one who stepped into the sun

Old 12-26-2007, 08:48 PM   #55
wounded
Apocalyptic Poster

i liked it. never read the book. the book sounds interesting and i may give it a read, but for the most part i liked the movie

Old 12-26-2007, 09:16 PM   #56
Sam Vimes
Demi-God

Quote:
it was the "smart" infected leader guy, the same one who stepped into the sun
Stupid editing/script.
On the one hand, Neville talks about how savage the infected have become and then the leader is smart enough to set up Fred AND the trap....for gods sake, that is just plain laziness on the writers/directors side.

Youve got to love the first driving scene, New York lies in ruins but Neville is cruising around in a brand new Shelby....and switches cars after that scene.
Talk about subtle product placement.

The movie was ok, Will Smith can actually act but it still has serious issues.

Old 12-26-2007, 09:38 PM   #57
MeAndMyLlama

it's possible neville simply underestimated the mutants. i wouldnt call it a plothole