Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2007, 03:34 PM   #1
???
Minion of Satan

Thumbs down it so infinitely depressing to see

or overhear jaded, mindless uniform indie teenagers discussing how they just downloaded "this Rat In A Cage song" onto their ipods last night and how they sortof like it, but how little they like "that weird Tonight song".

goddamit sp don't belong to this generation. WHY, BILLY CORGAN, WHY?

Old 11-23-2007, 03:36 PM   #2
T&T
Socialphobic

why not
its cute...

wait till they discover soma
their minds will explode.

Old 11-23-2007, 03:42 PM   #3
???
Minion of Satan

what's sad here is that they won't

if bullet is only "ok" and tonight doesn't instantaneously change your life, you have become seriously, desperately desensitised to what is great about music, or possibly anything else in life

the kids of this generation can't tell the difference between shit and gold, and even if they could they probably wouldn't change

Old 11-23-2007, 03:47 PM   #4
Caine Walker
Braindead

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ???

the kids of this generation can't tell the difference between shit and gold, and even if they could they probably wouldn't change
you do realize that this what was being said about us 10-15 years ago, right?

Old 11-23-2007, 03:49 PM   #5
AnnMarie727
Apocalyptic Poster

bwbw makes my ears bleed
the only song that i cannot bear to hear

Old 11-23-2007, 03:52 PM   #6
Sylvia Woods
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie727
bwbw makes my ears bleed
what do you think of the god is empty like me line in zero?

Old 11-23-2007, 03:53 PM   #7
T&T
Socialphobic

Quote:
bwbw makes my ears bleed
unt00 fan

Old 11-23-2007, 03:56 PM   #8
Nate the Grate
Minion of Satan

Are you hearing this a lot, Izzle? Do these people maybe exist...in your head?

Old 11-23-2007, 03:59 PM   #9
redbull
Immortal

ITS THOSE DAMN KIDS WITH THEIR ROCK AND ROLL AND THEIR AMPHETAMINES

Old 11-23-2007, 04:06 PM   #10
AnnMarie727
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvia Woods
what do you think of the god is empty like me line in zero?

welll God being empty could be interpreted as being Zen. completely unattatched. but empty as in the meaning of nothing no that doesn't work for me. um... i have issues with Zero, but I think it's a very sexy song so i'm somewhat seduced by it

bwbw though. i rememeber the very first day i heard it on the radio and it was instantaneous dislike and shock that that was the new sp single. it's always been that way and always will be for me. it's like nails on a blackboard

Old 11-23-2007, 04:44 PM   #11
tcm
Braindead

Arrow

Quote:
bwbw though. i rememeber the very first day i heard it on the radio and it was instantaneous dislike
same here.

Old 11-23-2007, 04:47 PM   #12
Rockin' Cherub
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ???

if bullet is only "ok" and tonight doesn't instantaneously change your life, you have become seriously, desperately desensitised to what is great about music, or possibly anything else in life

why are you so intolerant

Old 11-23-2007, 04:49 PM   #13
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

is this a hint in the mayday mystery? tcm=mayday?!?!

Old 11-23-2007, 04:53 PM   #14
suncrashesdown
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ???

I can definitely agree about Tonight Tonight. That song is so great, words cannot describe and I really can't get it when I play it for someone and they just go "meh".

And the 'shit and gold' thing is spot on. I'm 23, and it amazes me when I meet people just 5 years younger than me who listen to the worst emo and fake-metal crap religiously and think it is something to take seriously. Same goes for the fake new-wave and Joy Division rip offs. I can't find a reason why the younger generations latch on to this crap that seems so calculated and un-genuine. What happened in such a short span of time to destroy rock music?

I mean, of course, besides Britney Spears. There's no competing with her.

Old 11-23-2007, 04:56 PM   #15
Rockin' Cherub
Braindead

what the hell man

that post is a clear case of post/sn

Old 11-23-2007, 04:57 PM   #16
Rarely
Shh

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T
why not
its cute...

wait till they discover soma
their minds will explode.
lol just stop posting

Old 11-23-2007, 04:57 PM   #17
???
Minion of Satan

i don't know how closely my experiences as a pumpkins fan compare to everyone else's, but i find that people frequently judge me for liking this band. acquaintances often seem to become alienated from me at the mere mention of their name, which is a bizarre thing to experience. of course, most people aren't going to be familiar with them beyond a single or two, but there is an utterly incomprehensible stigma to sp's public perception that i can't say i've found in any other band, really. and just in the same way that telling people that you like sp will probably get you a funny look (or i will at least), people are frequently going to have the same sort of bizarre reaction to their work if you show it to them. more often than not, they just don't get it, and you're sitting there thinking "how the fuck can this asshole not get how awesome this band is" and i think its largely because today's teenagers are subject to a very different kind of media saturation through download culture etc. to cut a long story short, we all know the pumpkins are (were?) too good for radio, too good for tv, too good for most people. and the digital age is simply bringing them into the palms of more ungrateful hands than ever before. i don't wish sp had broken up, but the ideals they represented just can't survive in such a shallow and fickle media culture. i know this sounds stupid but who cares. not you, i'm guessing

Old 11-23-2007, 04:58 PM   #18
Rarely
Shh

Quote:
welll God being empty could be interpreted as being Zen. completely unattatched. but empty as in the meaning of nothing no that doesn't work for me. um... i have issues with Zero, but I think it's a very sexy song so i'm somewhat seduced by it

bwbw though. i rememeber the very first day i heard it on the radio and it was instantaneous dislike and shock that that was the new sp single. it's always been that way and always will be for me. it's like nails on a blackboard

you should be banned

Old 11-23-2007, 05:03 PM   #19
skipgo
Minion of Satan

i was surprised when everyone at my work (even my boss) seemed envious that i was going to see sp over the weekend. I wouldn't have pegged any of them as fans. I haven't experienced what you have isle, except in the mid 90s when most of my friends were all about the indie rock, and most of them hated sp. They never really gave me a hard time about liking them though, they were nice people and all.

Old 11-23-2007, 05:05 PM   #20
suncrashesdown
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ???
and i think its largely because today's teenagers are subject to a very different kind of media saturation through download culture etc.
I agree, but what I don't understand is why teenagers have the entire world fucking history of recorded music at their fingertips for free (at least, in their eyes)... anything they could possibly imagine... and the majority of them would pick "Between The Buried And Me" over The Beatles. I don't watch MTV anymore, or really any TV for that matter, so maybe I'm missing out on clever marketing for these bands or something. It just seems to me if they're looking for "edgy and hardcore" that SP delivers that in spades and these newer bands from what I've seen are pretty embarrassing and redundant

Old 11-23-2007, 05:17 PM   #21
fluxequalsrad
Apocalyptic Poster

Does anyone honestly care what teenagers are listening to? Be happy that when you were a teenager you popped in 'Hummer' and jizzed your pants and have never been the same since.

Old 11-23-2007, 05:19 PM   #22
Caine Walker
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by suncrashesdown
"Between The Buried And Me" over The Beatles.

what the hell is Between the Buried and Me?

Old 11-23-2007, 05:22 PM   #23
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

they're super awesome dude

Old 11-23-2007, 05:28 PM   #24
T&T
Socialphobic

i only get the tension when it's vs a weezer fan

good dam those weezer fans
and lets not get into the pavement rivalry.

Old 11-23-2007, 05:33 PM   #25
???
Minion of Satan

although that is a redundant rivaly unto itself, because everyone knows those pavement fans only went for pavement as a hip indie alternative to the pumpkins and not necessarily because they were a better band.

Old 11-23-2007, 05:34 PM   #26
silverfrick
Demi-God

When people try to act like every generation goes through the same phase of rejecting the one that came after it, it bears some truth, but is a little too simplistic here. There is a timelessness to the music of SP. I can see myself listening to them well into my adult life and still find relevance. Bands that are apart of this new generation don't have that quality. Everything from the vocals to the pop-punk undertones, to the content of the lyrics are something specifically crafted for teens. I asked a 19 year old girl whether she could see herself listening to Ashes Fall, Fallout Boy, Panic! in 10 years and she conceded "probably not, but I am young and just enjoying this music for the time and place it represents in my life." That sentiment is fair enough and I'm probably the idiot for looking down on her for that thought. Pop has always served as music for the lowest common denominator. "Rock/alternative" (whatever that even means anymore) is now serving the same clientel. None of this is to say that Billy didn't make music for a teen audience as well, but it was not done in a catering kind of way. I assume it came from an honest place.

Old 11-23-2007, 05:37 PM   #27
redchandelier
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine Walker
what the hell is Between the Buried and Me?
lol, that was my question too

Old 11-23-2007, 05:37 PM   #28
???
Minion of Satan

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfrick
I asked a 19 year old girl whether she could see herself listening to Ashes Fall, Fallout Boy, Panic! in 10 years and she conceded "probably not, but I am young and just enjoying this music for the time and place it represents in my life." That sentiment is fair enough and I'm probably the idiot for looking down on her for that thought.
honestly, i'm amazed she gave you such a straightforward answer. i'd have to beat the shit out of someone and do all the thinking for them before i got anywhere near such a lucid and simple concession, everyone i know's so pretentious and vague or cagey about these things.

Old 11-23-2007, 05:39 PM   #29
Rockin' Cherub
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ???
although that is a redundant rivaly unto itself, because everyone knows those pavement fans only went for pavement as a hip indie alternative to the pumpkins and not necessarily because they were a better band.
what the hell are you talking about

seriously this thread sounds like me when i was twelve. name one generation that wasn't more interested in comtemporary art than old stuff. this is ridiculous.

Old 11-23-2007, 05:41 PM   #30
Rockin' Cherub
Braindead

the only reason i'm even replying to this is that i'm slightly drunk