Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2021, 05:45 AM   #151
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

in other news, i've been feeling deeply troubled and freaked out by the climate crisis becoming reality thing and apocalypse stage A clearly being complete.

i mean is anyone troubled?

something about these times feels like we are almost touching on the brink of ruin. not quite there yet... but in 50 years...

Old 08-19-2021, 05:46 AM   #152
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

icecream.... stopp.....

Old 08-19-2021, 06:00 AM   #153
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie View Post
Are you back in NZ?

I was fully vaccinated last Thursday.
Yep, came back at the start of 2019 and have been trying to buy a house in central Wellington ever since, starting to make peace finally with the financial attrition of renting

Have waited my turn for a vaccine and now my whole family, including my kids, will get our first dose on Sunday, so that’s good

How’d you get yours so early?

Old 08-19-2021, 06:23 AM   #154
Fonzie
Dute of Seven Y's

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
Yep, came back at the start of 2019 and have been trying to buy a house in central Wellington ever since, starting to make peace finally with the financial attrition of renting

Have waited my turn for a vaccine and now my whole family, including my kids, will get our first dose on Sunday, so that’s good

How’d you get yours so early?
I work for a company deemed essential, and after they vaccinated all the *really* important people they opened it up to the rest of us to keep everyone safe.

Old 08-19-2021, 06:46 AM   #155
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
in other news, i've been feeling deeply troubled and freaked out by the climate crisis becoming reality thing and apocalypse stage A clearly being complete.

something about these times feels like we are almost touching on the brink of ruin. not quite there yet... but in 50 years...
Yep. Especially with Afghanistan -it feels like disconnecting with the past. Now it's just 2021 Pandemic/Climate Change/Social Unrest/Geopolitical Uncertainty. It's fucking weird.

Old 08-19-2021, 07:29 AM   #156
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
"Quite over it actually" doesn't even begin to describe it, really

More like "all over it"?

Old 08-19-2021, 07:39 AM   #157
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:

By the time i'm eligible for affordable housing in Ams the place is gonna be flooded. Can't wait till all those assholes drown!

Old 08-19-2021, 09:14 AM   #158
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

we are trying to move to Washington State. Which seemed like an OK idea until they got 120deg F summer temps a month ago. My GF keeps joking that we should move to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, since it's cold (now), 300 meters above sea level, and land is cheap... but there aren't many jobs up there... so outrunning sea level rise and getting in before climate refugees from the coast probably won't happen right away

Last edited by MyOneAndOnly : 08-19-2021 at 09:23 AM.

Old 08-19-2021, 02:35 PM   #159
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
By the time i'm eligible for affordable housing in Ams the place is gonna be flooded. Can't wait till all those assholes drown!
flooding will only make housing become more rare, thus way more expensive :/

Old 08-19-2021, 02:43 PM   #160
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldestrose View Post
I didn't know they were still doing plasma treatment. My mom was very sick with Covid in January and had the plasma treatment the 4th time she went into the hospital. Luckily it worked - I have a feeling she would not have survived if it hadn't.
He sounds like shit today and he is on a lot of oxygen according to him. He says he feels the same and his afib is better.

Glad your mom got better after treatment.

Old 08-19-2021, 03:54 PM   #161
BlissedandGone2
Minion of Satan

Location: You don't play guitar hero if you are a guitar hero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOneAndOnly View Post
My GF keeps joking that we should move to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, since it's cold (now), 300 meters above sea level, and land is cheap... but there aren't many jobs up there... so outrunning sea level rise and getting in before climate refugees from the coast probably won't happen right away
I've had similar thoughts around the midwest. Chicago is a fairly decent market for still providing the benefits of a giant metro area, though obviously not when comparing prices to rural Michigan. Also it will be interesting to see how shifts in certain industries to more readily allow for remote work will alter what job availability will look like in general. In theory I could move to northern MI tomorrow and keep doing my job, save way more money, and hopefully be more future proofed for incoming climate disasters, but I might end up loosing my mind in the woods being no where near anyone I care for.

Old 08-19-2021, 05:51 PM   #162
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
He sounds like shit today and he is on a lot of oxygen according to him. He says he feels the same and his afib is better.

Glad your mom got better after treatment.
he is refusing intubation against medical advice right now

Old 08-19-2021, 11:08 PM   #163
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I mean, you have to empathize with his situation. If he lives through this, he'll be forced to admit he was wrong.

Old 08-20-2021, 01:54 AM   #164
Disco King
Minion of Satan

And that would be super humiliating, so he's in quite the dilemma here. I don't know what I'd choose between admitting error and death.

Old 08-20-2021, 02:02 AM   #165
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Intubation sounds scary as fuck. Obviously as a last resort most people would select it, but that is an unimaginably intimidating decision.

One of my dearest friend's father is in ICU with Covid, on life support and a ventilator. I didn't ask her if he got the vaccine, but knowing him, the answer is likely that he did not. I hope he doesn't die.

Old 08-20-2021, 09:45 AM   #166
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
I mean, you have to empathize with his situation. If he lives through this, he'll be forced to admit he was wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
And that would be super humiliating, so he's in quite the dilemma here. I don't know what I'd choose between admitting error and death.
If they intubate him they will sedate him to unconsciousness probably. It must be hard to face what would likely be your last conscious moments. Plus somehow the narrative was earlier that the vents themselves were a death sentence, even though that's obviously not true, so I do get it even though I think he's being foolish.

That said he's still alive AFAIK

Old 08-20-2021, 10:10 AM   #167
ilikeplanets
Braindead

I'd definitely grapple with that decision, especially if it was unlikely that I'd recover. I hope I never know that struggle. I'm so sorry you're going through this and am hoping for the best.

Old 08-20-2021, 07:36 PM   #168
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie View Post
I work for a company deemed essential, and after they vaccinated all the *really* important people they opened it up to the rest of us to keep everyone safe.
Ah, that’s lucky

I work in social housing and we’re considered essential but nobody organised vaccines.

But at least we’re getting them tomorrow, anyway (I just booked at our family practice, through the website, and luckily they had spaces available)

Old 08-20-2021, 07:41 PM   #169
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
If they intubate him they will sedate him to unconsciousness probably. It must be hard to face what would likely be your last conscious moments. Plus somehow the narrative was earlier that the vents themselves were a death sentence, even though that's obviously not true, so I do get it even though I think he's being foolish.

That said he's still alive AFAIK
Sorry to hear about this reprise. None of us have perfect parents but regardless of foolishness and other foibles, nobody deserves an end like this and it must be hard for you to watch him sink towards it.

Old 08-20-2021, 07:41 PM   #170
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
flooding will only make housing become more rare, thus way more expensive :/
I feel like everything makes housing more expensive at the moment. Have you managed to buy, anywhere?

Old 08-20-2021, 11:27 PM   #171
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Sorry to hear about this reprise. None of us have perfect parents but regardless of foolishness and other foibles, nobody deserves an end like this and it must be hard for you to watch him sink towards it.
I called him a couple of times today and he didn't answer, I am assuming he is very sick to not even call me back. He wasn't even answering for his wife, she had to call the hospital to see what was going on.

According to her, they are continuing the same treatment plan and he is still doing pretty much the same. She hadn't been able to talk to his doctor the last time I spoke to her; I said "well I am sure they are very busy" (leaving out the parts I wanted to say about it being because of people like her) and she said "well the way I see it that's not my problem" (meaning the doctor should find time to talk to her no matter what and she doesn't care why he hadn't gotten back to her yet). Like sorry lady he's literally saving people's lives, talking to family isn't his biggest concern when one out of every 1335 people living in FL is in the hospital because of COVID.

Isn't that an insane stat?

Anyway, he definitely could have died yesterday and that could happen again at any time, but as of right now I'm not sure if he's considered stable or not or if they are still recommending intubation.

Old 08-20-2021, 11:29 PM   #172
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Ah, that’s lucky

I work in social housing and we’re considered essential but nobody organised vaccines.

But at least we’re getting them tomorrow, anyway (I just booked at our family practice, through the website, and luckily they had spaces available)
glad you're able to get it!

Old 08-21-2021, 04:58 AM   #173
Fonzie
Dute of Seven Y's

Quote:
Ah, that’s lucky

Good onya.

My wife was booked for Wednesday thru her work, however that didn’t go ahead due to delta, but she managed to re-book for next Wednesday. Mine was done over a 21 day period (funnily enough they changed the time between shots to 6 weeks as I was having my 2nd) and I was pretty much unaffected in the 2nd one, however at least 4 people I work with had a bad 2nd shot (flu-like symptoms, really sore arms, sore heads, etc).

Fingers crossed you’re be fine.

And luckily so far I’ve managed to miss all of the places of interest popping up in their dozens…

Old 08-21-2021, 08:21 PM   #174
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Sucks how the fact that so much of the world has been unable to get vaccines means that there are plenty of opportunities for the virus to mutate into more variants of concern as it replicates.

Can't wait for the Zumba variant to come out of Burkina Faso and evade immune responses so that we gotta go back to the drawing board and develop/approve brand new vaccines just in time for the Omegle variant to fuck us up even more.

Old 08-21-2021, 11:00 PM   #175
Shallowed
Braindead

The US's response has been one of desperately maintaining business as usual, no matter how many people die, no matter how much more damaging it is to muh economy in the short and long term, then whoever is left in the country is first in line for vaccines developed by everyone's favourite price gouging American company

Old 08-21-2021, 11:10 PM   #176
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Dad is not doing well. They changed his room to be closer to the nurses' station. O2 is low 90s, plummets if he moves or talks so he is unable to talk on the phone or anything. He's on a bipap. Afib is still there but they can't do anything about that right now.

Up to his immune system to kick it before his organs tire out at this point.

Last edited by reprise85 : 08-21-2021 at 11:21 PM.

Old 08-21-2021, 11:30 PM   #177
Shallowed
Braindead

How are you coping with all this, reprise? You seem quite stoic, but you're usually like that.

Old 08-22-2021, 12:18 AM   #178
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

I'm coping pretty well I think. Definitely expecting the worst but I don't have much of a relationship with my dad. I haven't seen him in three years even though he lives an hour away.

But yeah I don't feel overwhelmed or anything. I feel a little guilty for not being more upset tbh

Old 08-22-2021, 03:31 AM   #179
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
I'm coping pretty well I think. Definitely expecting the worst but I don't have much of a relationship with my dad. I haven't seen him in three years even though he lives an hour away.

But yeah I don't feel overwhelmed or anything. I feel a little guilty for not being more upset tbh
*hugs*

fwiw (and im sure this is rote BS and total mainsplain moment) but ive never gotten anything good outta entertaining guilt over my authentically felt feelings

Old 08-22-2021, 11:58 AM   #180
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

He's dying. About to see him for a few minutes. Then they will put him in a private room. They are keeping him on a bipap for comfort. I'm going to be the last person he ever sees besides medical staff