Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2017, 12:18 PM   #181
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
You know, I'm not really sure. I guess If I wanna read something I don't wanna read a bunch of made up hysteria. It's an art-form I just haven't been into. But I suppose I should be more open minded.

Cause I've read pretty much every music biography that exists and pretty much other that public entity that interests me. I mean I've got Jodie Sweetens book coming in for crying out loud.

Any good suggestions?
Hmmm, interesting, many of my conservative-minded friends/acquaintances share a similar distaste for novels

IMHO really great, literary fiction is an unmatched vehicle for teaching empathy, b/c it requires one to imagine the world as experienced by people that may be radically unlike oneself

Old 03-01-2017, 12:21 PM   #182
Elphenor
Braindead

Horror novels are cool

Old 03-01-2017, 12:23 PM   #183
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Like, after reading, for example, Upton Sinclair's timeless classic The Jungle, one might hesitate before backing a president whose party wants to systematically destroy unions and grant employers total freedom to recreate the kind of horror-show working conditions that dominated during the industrial revolution

Old 03-01-2017, 12:26 PM   #184
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
Hmmm, interesting, many of my conservative-minded friends/acquaintances share a similar distaste for novels

IMHO really great, literary fiction is an unmatched vehicle for teaching empathy, b/c it requires one to imagine the world as experienced by people that may be radically unlike oneself
This is a great post and point but he might just be stupid

Old 03-01-2017, 12:43 PM   #185
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Like, after reading, for example, Upton Sinclair's timeless classic The Jungle, one might hesitate before backing a president whose party wants to systematically destroy unions and grant employers total freedom to recreate the kind of horror-show working conditions that dominated during the industrial revolution
Echoing bonnie this is great and all but this is fuzzy

Old 03-01-2017, 12:57 PM   #186
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:

in the book i'm reading for a special topics class, the author thinks the printing press and the proliferation of novels is one of the biggest reason for the reduction in violent crime, government sponsored torture (for info and entertainment) and wars in the past few hundred years. because it allowed people to expand their field of empathy beyond their immediate family/friends

Old 03-01-2017, 02:06 PM   #187
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

Somehow art moves us to feel for others that just seeing alone doesn't accomplish.

Old 03-01-2017, 02:20 PM   #188
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
in the book i'm reading for a special topics class, the author thinks the printing press and the proliferation of novels is one of the biggest reason for the reduction in violent crime, government sponsored torture (for info and entertainment) and wars in the past few hundred years. because it allowed people to expand their field of empathy beyond their immediate family/friends
That's Pinker, right? Sounds plausible that novels could help people empathize and have noticeable effects on a society, but I haven't read up on this hypothesis to see if a claim as strong as his is really supported.

A book I read for my political science honours class (Benedict Anderson's Imagined Communities) says that the novel was important to the rise of nationalism, because it gave people a sense of their society beyond people they have direct contact with in their immediate surroundings, so the idea of a "nation" (an "imagined community," because people in it sense that they are part of the same community as other people like them whom they've never even met before) could arise. Having synchronic narratives in which events could occur at the same time gave people an understanding that, even if they aren't in direct contact, others in their "nation" are existing and acting at the same moment they are.

Old 03-01-2017, 02:39 PM   #189
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

I have a job and pay for my schooling and I will happily finish. I am not willing to take on the debt.

Old 03-01-2017, 04:31 PM   #190
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
there is at least 1 study that has linked reading classic literature to higher levels of empathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
A book I read for my political science honours class (Benedict Anderson's Imagined Communities) says that the novel was important to the rise of nationalism, because it gave people a sense of their society beyond people they have direct contact with in their immediate surroundings, so the idea of a "nation" (an "imagined community," because people in it sense that they are part of the same community as other people like them whom they've never even met before) could arise. Having synchronic narratives in which events could occur at the same time gave people an understanding that, even if they aren't in direct contact, others in their "nation" are existing and acting at the same moment they are.
that's interesting but I'm not sure I see nationalism as having started like... in the last few thousand years. Nationalism is just tribalism at a larger level. I think the words can usually be used interchangeably. When hundreds of thousands of Visigoths tore across Europe and Asia toppling Rome, I don't think they needed books to construct an imagined community to know they all belonged to one huge tribe and everyone else could get fucked, right?

Old 03-01-2017, 04:38 PM   #191
redbreegull

I guess you could say nationality, culture, and tribe are myths, and improved technology like the printing press made it much easier to spread information, including myths obviously. So perhaps (like probably) the printing press played a role in the evolution of the modern nation state. But feelings of national superiority I think are as old as people

Old 03-01-2017, 04:40 PM   #192
LaBelle
Socialphobic

I am anti borders.

That doesn't mean I wish red would lose his job tho.

Old 03-01-2017, 04:45 PM   #193
redbreegull

even chimpanzees demonstrate very clear cultural in/outgrouping. chimps in different places have demonstrably different "cultures" even down to the kinds of tools they know how to use, and they will wage systematic warfare against other groups of chimps.

Old 03-01-2017, 06:20 PM   #194
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Old 03-01-2017, 06:25 PM   #195
myosis
Minion of Satan

nationalism does not necessarily mean feelings of national superiority.
what about people under tyranny advocating national independence from an assimilating nation?

Old 03-01-2017, 06:27 PM   #196
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
That's Pinker, right? Sounds plausible that novels could help people empathize and have noticeable effects on a society, but I haven't read up on this hypothesis to see if a claim as strong as his is really supported.

Yeah, it's Pinker.

Honestly the book DOES make a ton of very tenuous assumptions but that hypothesis is interesting. He fills in a lot of data that is unknowable, is the biggest problem with the book's premise I think. Regardless, it's obvious violence has declined and he does make good points. But estimating data and then applying multipliers and shit to it to make a point looks pretty bad and he does that a lot. He also needed a better editor. But there has been a lot of interesting stuff

Old 03-01-2017, 06:28 PM   #197
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
even chimpanzees demonstrate very clear cultural in/outgrouping. chimps in different places have demonstrably different "cultures" even down to the kinds of tools they know how to use, and they will wage systematic warfare against other groups of chimps.
chimps pick unfair fights as well, they patrol, they engage in genocide, fight for sexual partners, etc

Old 03-01-2017, 06:54 PM   #198
qwerty sp
Apocalyptic Poster

Chimps are bad people

Old 03-01-2017, 07:10 PM   #199
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty sp View Post
Chimps are bad people
SPECIESIST BITCH!

Old 03-01-2017, 07:47 PM   #200
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

I would if I had the money

Old 03-01-2017, 07:48 PM   #201
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

Before I was cut off by my parents or I guess became too ashamed to take from them (cuz I was 23 when I started) I was full time. But my pride and fear of debt is getting in the way now I guess. Do you have anything to do but lay into me?

Old 03-01-2017, 07:50 PM   #202
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

I am taking 5 courses over the summer but that's thousands of dollars to put up front. I'm using my student tax credit on that.

Old 03-01-2017, 07:53 PM   #203
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

this is a real point of anxiety for me

Old 03-01-2017, 08:07 PM   #204
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

fuck you poots

Old 03-01-2017, 08:29 PM   #205
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

fucking college is expensive, plus living is expensive, i work a little, go full time, get a lot of grants etc and still take out almost the max loans

Old 03-15-2017, 08:21 PM   #206
myosis
Minion of Satan

Old 03-15-2017, 08:22 PM   #207
redbreegull

we need one with the quote about alcohol being a harmless drug with no adverse effects

Old 03-15-2017, 08:30 PM   #208
FoolofaTook

Students loans ain't no joke. I did college and a year of grad school for free (scholarships/grants/parents discount for being employees of schopl).

Then in one year of masters and another of phd i got up to 40,000 in debt. fuck.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:47 PM   #209
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Old 03-15-2017, 11:34 PM   #210
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by myosis View Post
You're still butthurt about that?