Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2021, 11:03 AM   #1
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Smile McMurderson's Christmastime

The holiday classic comes home

Occurred to me that, with Flash dead and buried, it would be difficult to view McMurderson's Christmastime video, and that's a goddamn fucking shame, so, here you go, I converted it to an mp4

If someone want to host it on their site so folks don't have to download it (but I mean why wouldn't you want a copy to make sure you never lose it), that's just fine with me and presumably would be in keeping with McMurderson's final wishes (dead? I don't know)

Merry Christmas to one and all, but especially to Billy, and less so to the girl who got MSotS

Old 12-10-2021, 12:55 PM   #2
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

https://youtu.be/LHA-DB4Pjz8

Old 12-10-2021, 02:41 PM   #3
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.

Well, uh, yes, but...

Mine is...

A file... that you need to keep... on your computer...

That's better, right...

Old 12-10-2021, 02:45 PM   #4
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Red face

Whoa, hey, there's a whole bit at the end that's missing from that one

Jesus introduces the band and they play Rudolph? Lost to time, huh? WELL NOT WITH MY BEAUTIFUL FILE

Old 12-10-2021, 06:30 PM   #5
Baffler_Meal
Mothmonsterman

Thanks for the effort. I think converting it is a good idea to preserve internet history and this is too good to lose.

I can't get it to open on my iPhone or in VLC on my Windows PC.

Last edited by Baffler_Meal : 12-10-2021 at 06:36 PM.

Old 12-11-2021, 10:21 PM   #6
Gooch
Apocalyptic Poster

This has become a Christmas tradition in my life as much as a Christmas tree and Santa

Old 12-11-2021, 10:34 PM   #7
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Damn this takes me back

Old 12-12-2021, 11:20 PM   #8
CrabbMan
Amish Hoe Fighter

Yeah I can't get it to work in vlc either.

Old 12-13-2021, 11:27 AM   #9
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Unhappy

Huh. Yeah, it works just fine for me in QuickTime, but I just fired it up in VLC and only the sound is playing.

I don't really know what the fuck I'm doing in terms of encoding; I just found a site that took the Flash file I'd saved and turned it into an mp4.

If anyone knows better, here's the original SWF. If I have time today, I'll look into what I can do, but I have to imagine some of y'all out there know a lot more about this than I do.

Old 12-13-2021, 02:50 PM   #10
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Unhappy

Okay, I'm stumped. I tried converting it with a few online upload-and-convert sites, I tried with VLC itself, and I tried with Handbrake. In every case, even when I fiddled ignorantly with the video codec option, the resulting file only plays sound in VLC. With a couple, the first frame would display, but that's as far as it got; the rest was just audio.

If anyone knows what the dickens is going on and has some way around it, feel free to check out the original SWF I linked to in my post above. Otherwise, folks, I dunno. Again, works fine in my QuickTime player on my Mac, but not in my copy of VLC.

Edit: VLC will play the SWF, but, again, just shows the first video frame and the rest is just audio.

Old 12-14-2021, 08:44 AM   #11
trev
charm

i don't think there is an easy way to convert those type of swf videos.

seems like the easiest way to do it is by re-encoding to a new video file by using a video screen recorder capture program while the swf is playing...

Old 12-15-2021, 03:31 PM   #12
Baffler_Meal
Mothmonsterman

topleybird,

Thank you for providing the SWF.

Converting this turned out to be a royal pain in the ass, but here is my version. You can find the mp4 in a temporary (14 day) Mediafire account.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/c1h81...erson.mp4/file

The audio probably doesn't sync up 1-to-1 to the original but the song quality has been upgraded. I think it is pretty close or at least close enough. The song syncs up with the "for you" gift giving at the end and the live performance is synced roughly with Jimmy's outro.

Here are some instructions if you want to make improvements based on my work.

1. Find a copy of After Effects 2015.

2. Use it to import the .swf file. Add it to the render queue. Render. This will provide a .avi that will contain only the video. I used the defaults so the file is around 3 GB at this point.

3. Open the .swf with VLC. Convert it to a .wav file using the CD profile.

4. Split the .wav file in two. You should see the silent spot where to do this. Trim a bit of the silence off of the beginning of the second part. I used RX 8 since I had it and it provides decent visual markers.

4B. At this point you could replace the first audio track with the .FLAC version from "Rarities and B-Sides" if you are so inclined. You'll need to trim a bit of the silence from the start to make syncing easier. I used the .swf audio as a guide.

5. Use OpenShot to import the two audio tracks and the video. Line up the audio as best as you can. If you're using the .swf original audio, you should be able to drag the start of clip 1 to the beginning of the video and the end of clip 2 to the end of the video.

6. Export the project. Start with the HD 720p profile. Under Advanced, change the frame rate to 20 fps to match the .swf source. I set the video to 1 MB/s bit-rate but it can probably be dropped more. I set the audio bit-rate to 320 kbps. I left the rest of the profile settings unchanged in the final version. I don't recommend rendering to the native 480x360 resolution since your player will stretch it to fill the screen.

Old 12-15-2021, 04:27 PM   #13
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Red face

Hot damn, thank you! I have to say, you've blown a golden opportunity to link to like five seconds of the video and then Two Girls One Cup or something, but I sincerely appreciate the work you put into the legitimate thing.

Old 12-15-2021, 05:06 PM   #14
Baffler_Meal
Mothmonsterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
Hot damn, thank you! I have to say, you've blown a golden opportunity to link to like five seconds of the video and then Two Girls One Cup or something, but I sincerely appreciate the work you put into the legitimate thing.
I'm happy to help. I love this video and, god damnit, I love Netphoria.

The thought ran through my mind to insert a single frame of lemon party in the video, but that felt like work.

Old 12-15-2021, 06:01 PM   #15
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Cool

I hear him saying this actually

Old 12-16-2021, 05:44 AM   #16
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlitchford View Post
I'm happy to help. I love this video and, god damnit, I love Netphoria.

The thought ran through my mind to insert a single frame of lemon party in the video, but that felt like work.
Preserving history here. Well done.