Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2013, 09:13 AM   #1
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Default Linkin Park singer is now the singer for Stone Temple Pilots; the band sues Weiland

http://news.yahoo.com/stone-temple-p...235813948.html

The Stone Temple Pilots accuse former frontman Scott Weiland of misusing the band's name to further his solo career and want a judge to strip the rocker of his ability to use the group's name or songs.

A lawsuit filed Friday in Los Angeles accuses Weiland of being chronically late to concerts while the group was together and having his lawyer attempt to interfere with the airplay of the group's new single "Out of Time."

Weiland and Stone Temple Pilots parted ways in February, and the 45-year-old singer said at the time that he learned of his ouster from a statement released to the media.

The lawsuit sheds light on the band's breakup, accusing Weiland of interacting with band mates only through lawyers or managers and showing up late to the group's 2012 shows. It cites Weiland's addiction struggles and poor performances as detriments to the band's earning potential.

"The band endured much strife and lost significant opportunities because of Weiland," the suit states.

In a message posted to his website Friday, Weiland said his former band mates shouldn't call themselves Stone Temple Pilots either.

"First of all they don't have the legal right to call themselves STP because I'm still a member of the band," he said. "And more importantly, they don't have the ethical right to call themselves Stone Temple Pilots because it's misleading and dishonest to the millions of fans that have followed us for so many years."

The suit claims the band owns the rights to the name Stone Temple Pilots, and the band's songs, copyrights and trademarks. Weiland has used many of the band's hits in his solo shows, the lawsuit states. The band wants a judge to block him from even calling himself a former member of the band.

The band has been reconstituted with Chester Bennington of Linkin Park taking the frontman role.

Although he did not mention the lawsuit, Weiland disputed that he is using the band's name to promote his new shows.

"When I tour on my own, it's never as Stone Temple Pilots. It's as Scott Weiland," he wrote. "The fans deserve to know what they're getting."

The lawsuit claims that Weiland's lawyer called the head of programming at KROQ, a Los Angeles modern rock station, and said if the station played "Out of Time" it would be infringing on Weiland's rights.

"Enough is enough," the band's lawsuit states. "Without relief from the court, Weiland will continue violating STP's rights, misappropriating STP assets and interfering with the band's livelihood."

The lawsuit states the band entered into agreements in 1996 and 2010 that state that no former members can use the Stone Temple Pilots name.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Amazing!

Old 05-26-2013, 01:14 PM   #3
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

Remember in the 90's when all the bands were cool not like those 80's bands that sued each other over band names and shit like that.

This stuff always cracks me up because it such a silly pissing match. The name is meaningless it's just everyone has to prove they have the bigger dick.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:41 PM   #4
Kahlo

Pretty cool that they have consolidated all my 'I don't care about these bands' into a single act to ignore.

Old 05-26-2013, 03:08 PM   #5
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

OK then Weiland should of sued them for this:

Old 05-27-2013, 10:32 AM   #6
Catherine Wheel
Banned

That Talk Show record is a halfway decent album.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:12 AM   #7
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Wheel View Post
That Talk Show record is a halfway decent album.
Yeah I remember it being really good, at least as good as Tiny Music.

I doubt it stood the test of time though.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:19 AM   #8
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Dave Coutts sounds like a dozen singers I've heard before. He does a passable job as a vocalist. He's not as proficient a singer or as versatile a singer as Weiland. It's the Deleo Brothers that really make the material memorable.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:43 PM   #9
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Agreed. Love their rhythm section. When I first started learning bass, it was Robert DeLeo I loved, he was tapping a soul influence, like James Jamerson and Donald Duck Dunn, and I lifted heavily from that.

And their drummer was never a great technical player, but their drum sound was fantastic and he was more of a Ringo--he played what the song needed and allowed room for the DeLeos to meander. They were such a tight unit.

I also loved Dean Deleo's guitar tones on Tiny Music (and Talk Show) and always wanted to replicate that... I always thought of them as very "pastel". I got this EHX Double Muff OD that sort of replicates that sound, but I'm not sure, I'd really like to know his set up on those two albums.

Wow, for loving all this so much, why has STP aged so poorly for me? I can barely listen to it now.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:53 PM   #10
Catherine Wheel
Banned

What do you think of Shangri La Dee Da? There are some great moments on that one too.

I think Robert De Leo lifts from jazz music almost as much as he does soul music for his bass playing. Some of the fills he comes up with are very jazzy sounding.

The guitar solo on Trippin on A Hole is amazing and definitely made me appreciate Dean a lot more. It's interesting the way the solo is very bluesy but the rest of the song is very grunge sounding. It's a nice contrast.

Old 05-27-2013, 03:29 PM   #11
Venom
Ownz

Chester leading STP? ... oh boy, not sure how to feel about it. I suppose Chester is the logical choice to replace Scott in STP, sure. But why not change the damn name of the band? They did it when Dave sang on the Talk Show album, so why not? Obviously the name is pretty well-known, hence why they want to keep that. Scott really needs to clean himself up once and for all, assuming he's still on drugs/alcohol. Of course he's probably just an asshole to the other band members (ask Slash) which caused the rift. From what I read, the band wanted to do an anniversary tour but the other band members were concerned that he couldn't sing some of the songs anymore off Core/Purple which caused Scott to start his solo Core/Purple tour. From what I've heard, his voice sounds pretty much like shit now in the videos I've seen of his tour. Shame.

Tiny Music and Talk Show are amazing albums. I wouldn't be surprised if the DeLeo's conceived some of the music for Talk Show at the same time as Tiny Music's songs. Trippin' On A Hole In A Paper Heart, Adhesive, And So I Know, Ring Twice, Wash Me Down and Behind come to mind as some of the better songs off both albums. The DeLeo's also seem to lift a lot from lounge and nova music too.

I've gotten into arguments about Shangri-La Dee Da being a decent STP album. My case and points; Dumb Love, Hello It's Late and Long Way Home.

Old 05-27-2013, 03:32 PM   #12
Catherine Wheel
Banned

He's not even a fucking logical choice to replace Scott. He has a soft whiny tenor voice while Scott has a powerful commanding baritone. Plus he has no range as a singer. Scott has a lot of range. They could have at least gotten someone who is a baritone like Scott.

Old 05-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #13
Venom
Ownz

Like who? I'm sure Dave Coutts was available for Talk Show 2.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:11 PM   #14
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Wheel View Post
What do you think of Shangri La Dee Da? There are some great moments on that one too.

I think Robert De Leo lifts from jazz music almost as much as he does soul music for his bass playing. Some of the fills he comes up with are very jazzy sounding.

The guitar solo on Trippin on A Hole is amazing and definitely made me appreciate Dean a lot more. It's interesting the way the solo is very bluesy but the rest of the song is very grunge sounding. It's a nice contrast.
When it came out, I thought it was their greatest album, and would have been perfect except for the fiorst song, I thought Dumb Love was a pretty bad song. Remove it and you have a great album.

BUT I recently I went and revisited the album, and I didn't like it as much as I did back in 2002 or whenever it came out. The album sounds too digital and cold/dead sounding. Also I think since then I had gotten really into the Elephant 6 bands over the last decade, and I think they were more successful at "the modern take of the 60s sound" than Tiny Music-era STP... bands like The Sunshine Fix or older of Montreal. Something like this:

or

But I'll probably give Shangri-La, Tiny Music and Talk Show another listen today.

That solo on Paper Heart is fucking amazing. But those riffs on those three albums never sounded grungy to me, they had this distinctly Dean DeLeo sound, the kind of bouncy riffs on Big bang baby or Seven Caged Tigers, you know what I mean? Really idiosyncratic.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:41 PM   #15
Catherine Wheel
Banned

I like the Of Montreal song. The Sunshine Fix song was kind of corny sounding. Too close to psychedelic pop.

I can't say enough good things about Shangri La Dee Da. The singing and guitar solo on Bi-polar Bear are amazing and unrivaled. Dean's solo on Bi-polar Bear is just as good as his solo on Paper Heart I would say. Days of the Week is power-pop at its best. Coma and Long Way Home are the best examples of STP's hard rock side. Hello It's Late sounds like classic early Doors. Even moreso than "Atlanta" from No. 4. Black Again is heartbreaking. Regeneration is so trippy and chaotic sounding but in a good way.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:01 PM   #16
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Listening to Shangri-La now. I don't know, just seems like a farce. And all the songs that are obviously about Courtney Love are kinda annoying. The songs themselves are some of the best actual songwriting they've done. But unfortunately that's not saying much.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:29 PM   #17
Catherine Wheel
Banned

It shows a lot of maturity and growth I think. Of course you could say the same thing about Tiny Music.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:59 PM   #18
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Talk Show album was alright. half the album is embarrassingly bad for STP standards, the other half is just as good as anything on Tiny Music. "Morning Girl" was and still is one of my favorite songs, and is one of the best things the DeLeo Brothers ever did. It could have been a hit single on Tiny Music.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:04 PM   #19
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

How do so many people care enough to post in this thread?

Old 05-27-2013, 07:14 PM   #20
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Listening to Tiny Music, yeah this is still a good record after all these years.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:21 PM   #21
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Campfire girls make me feel alright

Old 05-27-2013, 08:02 PM   #22
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Purple however.... this is not so good. It was much better when I was 15.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #23
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniclovenoize View Post
Yeah I remember it being really good, at least as good as Tiny Music.
lol what

is that like "which turd is firmer"

Old 05-30-2013, 05:25 PM   #24
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

lol, two awful bands I liked as a teen

Old 05-31-2013, 09:28 AM   #25
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Damn fuck this thread, it made me go back and revisit Live.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:39 AM   #26
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

you should take personal responsibility for your own poor choices

Old 06-01-2013, 09:49 AM   #27
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniclovenoize View Post
Damn fuck this thread, it made me go back and revisit Live.
Something similar has happened to Live

Live's return with Chris Shinn as lead singer

On June 8, 2011 Chad Taylor revealed that he, Dahlheimer and Gracey will be restarting the band and recording new songs without Kowalczyk. He made no mention of any potential new lead singer, but said that, "We’ll have to begin addressing the hole left by our singer’s departure." He added that "I need to feel Live once again without the constraints that were placed on it over the last few years. Chad, Patrick and I invested most of our lives to writing, recording and performing the songs of Live. We deserve a chance to reconnect with the fans to say goodbye to the old era and hello to the new."[7]

On January 24, 2012 Taylor, Dahlheimer and Gracey announced that they were leading members in a project to renovate a four story building at 210 York Street in York. Three floors will house a technology company, creating 60 new jobs. The building will also ******* a brand new recording studio.[17]

The band returned from their nearly three-year hiatus on March 12, 2012, with Chris Shinn, formerly of Unified Theory, as their new lead singer. The new line-up performed before an invited audience at the Strand-Capitol Performing Arts Center in York. The band performed as a six-piece with The Gracious Few's Sean Hennesy on guitar and Alexander Lefever on keyboards.[9][18]

In July 2012, Live commenced more legal proceedings against Ed Kowalczyk, this time for misuse of the band's name while promoting his live performances.[19]

Old 06-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #28
The Omega Concern
Banned

"The band wants a judge to block him from even calling himself a former member of the band."

lol