Old 06-18-2007, 03:17 PM   #1
Caine Walker
Braindead

Question "tarantula sucks."

so, what would've been better?

Old 06-18-2007, 03:20 PM   #2
SpFission
Apocalyptic Poster

It's the same 8 or 9 people saying it sucks over and over again. Most people here do not think it sucks...I believe there was a poll on this.

Old 06-18-2007, 03:22 PM   #3
Pretzel Logic
Apocalyptic Poster

haha i immediately thought that was a new James quote.

Old 06-18-2007, 03:28 PM   #4
BumbleBeeMouth
Apocalyptic Poster

Default who even uses these things anyway?

Oklahoma!

Last edited by BumbleBeeMouth : 06-18-2007 at 03:30 PM. Reason: A chicken shat on my earring (also spelling earring wrong the first time around)

Old 06-18-2007, 03:45 PM   #5
Caine Walker
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpFission
It's the same 8 or 9 people saying it sucks over and over again. Most people here do not think it sucks...I believe there was a poll on this.
oh. well. meh.

del?

Old 06-18-2007, 04:07 PM   #6
Pug Superstar
Demi-God

I wonder if actual tarantulas suck.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:10 PM   #7
fluxequalsrad
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine Walker
here is no why

Old 06-18-2007, 04:15 PM   #8
mccririck
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug Superstar
Yes I have one strapped to my dick right now.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:17 PM   #9
Caine Walker
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxequalsrad
here is no why
i hate you.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:34 PM   #10
Pug Superstar
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccririck
Yes I have one strapped to my dick right now.

Ouch. Does it hurt?

Old 06-18-2007, 04:48 PM   #11
Luke de Spa
someone more...punk rock?

Location: Ice cream pig out in M1-aud is why i don't play plug in baby the wrong way, like you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine Walker
something that doesn't suck?

Old 06-18-2007, 04:50 PM   #12
SpFission
Apocalyptic Poster

Luke de Spa means a more fan-friendly song that would do worse on the charts.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:53 PM   #13
BlissedandGone2
Minion of Satan

Location: You don't play guitar hero if you are a guitar hero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug Superstar

i heard that if you drop a tarantula from a high distance it shatters when it hits the ground because of its body structure. someone find out if this is true. if its true, then obviously tarantulas are awesome.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:55 PM   #14
Luke de Spa

Location: Ice cream pig out in M1-aud is why i don't play plug in baby the wrong way, like you

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpFission
Luke de Spa means a more fan-friendly song that would do worse on the charts.
no, i mean a better song

this song would be no less "chart friendly" with a more coherent structure and non-retarded lyrics

Old 06-18-2007, 05:02 PM   #15
Boseph
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke de Spa
no, i mean a better song

this song would be no less "chart friendly" with a more coherent structure and non-retarded lyrics
I really don't get the "incoherent structure" criticism. Yeah, it's a little all over the place, but it flows reasonably well and it's very easy to follow. Are you saying that its structure is tasteless or do you really think it's incoherent? Because as far as weird song structures go, this is nothing. It's not verse-chorus-verse, but it sure isn't strange enough to warrant being called "incoherent", whether you like it or not.

Last edited by Boseph : 06-18-2007 at 05:16 PM.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:14 PM   #16
Pug Superstar
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlissedandGone2
i heard that if you drop a tarantula from a high distance it shatters when it hits the ground because of its body structure. someone find out if this is true. if its true, then obviously tarantulas are awesome.
Wow, if that's true, they should do that at the beginning of the video. It'd be fucking awesome.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:22 PM   #17
???
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boseph
I really don't get the "incoherent structure" criticism. Yeah, it's a little all over the place, but it flows reasonably well and it's very easy to follow. Are you saying that its structure is tasteless or do you really think it's incoherent? Because as far as weird song structures go, this is nothing. It's not verse-chorus-verse, but it sure isn't strange enough to warrant being called "incoherent", whether you like it or not.
well i disagree, i don't think the song flows well at all...if you listen to anything bill/jim so far, it all just flows and rises and drops very smoothly, every progression just goes perfectly. i daresay tarantula is the first sp song ever where this isn't the case, it feels like a patchwork quilt or something, riffs all over the place, odd little fills and things everywhere. i'd say its tasteless in its unnecessary noodling and incoherent structurally purely because an sp structure has never been awkward before.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:39 PM   #18
teamneedle
Ownz

tarantula kicks the shit out of the everlasting gaze which technically is there last rocking studio track ( i don't count machina 2 because it sounds like shit)

Old 06-18-2007, 05:40 PM   #19
JRiordan
Apocalyptic Poster

Most rocking SP song since MCIS. Blew my head off last night at the Chicago listening party. LOL at it sucking. Please give me your extra Fillmore tix, thanks.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:46 PM   #20
Boseph
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ???
well i disagree, i don't think the song flows well at all...if you listen to anything bill/jim so far, it all just flows and rises and drops very smoothly, every progression just goes perfectly. i daresay tarantula is the first sp song ever where this isn't the case, it feels like a patchwork quilt or something, riffs all over the place, odd little fills and things everywhere. i'd say its tasteless in its unnecessary noodling and incoherent structurally purely because an sp structure has never been awkward before.
It's funny how differently we feel about the song, because I really think that the mishmash-quality of the song is the only thing it has going for it.

I mean, it's lyrically vacant. It doesn't really have a memorable or signature guitar riff. It doesn't have much of a vocal hook. Yet I still quite like it, mainly because it's a little schizophrenic and frantic, yet keeps a certain flow, imo.

I guess i'd compare it to something like Siva. Now Siva is of course a much much better song. But it's also quite unnecessarily noodly and it also jumps from one idea to another to another. It pulls all this off much better, but despite that I feel the fact that we've all heard that song a million times helps, too.

If Tarantula had been more straight-forward and "coherent" it would lose the only character it has. It's not an AMAZING song, but it's a fun, odd little ditty. And it serves its purpose.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:57 PM   #21
JRiordan
Apocalyptic Poster

Some strange descriptions on this thread. Tarantula is not by any means a "ditty", ha. Ditties do not crush you into dust (i.e. Jimmy's drumming the the wailingly beautiful guitar solo).

Also the structure was awesome. I LOVE how it quiets down and then comes back unrelenting.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:03 PM   #22
Boseph
Ownz

I was using the term "ditty" very loosely. Not really meant to be taken literally.

That aside...despite liking the song, nothing has yet been crushed into dust over here. I don't know, I guess i'm just more immune to being crushed into dust than most other people are. Maybe it's my diet or something.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:04 PM   #23
firewoman
Ownz

i love the textures on that song

Old 06-18-2007, 06:05 PM   #24
Luke de Spa

Quote:
the problem isn't that it's too weird or i don't understand it, it's that it doesn't flow well. after that first chorus, the sections are too brief or just sound cobbled together (especially those ascending parts, e.g. the "don't break the yolk" bit). i mean what's the point in having a quiet interlude if it's so damn short it can't really establish itself as a contrast to the loud stuff that bookends it? it's like everything about the song is over before it's begun, and to me that screams "poor structure"

Old 06-18-2007, 06:11 PM   #25
bja1288
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRiordan
Some strange descriptions on this thread. Tarantula is not by any means a "ditty", ha. Ditties do not crush you into dust (i.e. Jimmy's drumming the the wailingly beautiful guitar solo).

Also the structure was awesome. I LOVE how it quiets down and then comes back unrelenting.
If i remember correctly didnt u say that u havent heard any of the new songs (except for once at the listening party) I think everyone was blown out of the water at first, but then u kinda realize it doesnt go anywhere. even the quiet part was half-assed make this song sound dynamic-like

Old 06-18-2007, 06:19 PM   #26
Boseph
Ownz

Quote:
the problem isn't that it's too weird or i don't understand it, it's that it doesn't flow well. after that first chorus, the sections are too brief or just sound cobbled together (especially those ascending parts, e.g. the "don't break the yolk" bit). i mean what's the point in having a quiet interlude if it's so damn short it can't really establish itself as a contrast to the loud stuff that bookends it? it's like everything about the song is over before it's begun, and to me that screams "poor structure"
Well first off I take the quiet part at the end as a tease. It's obviously the most classic-SP-sounding part of the song, so it just seems like a little nod and wink to the past. The fact that it's really brief and last-minute is appropriate, I think.

This song was intended to be a comeback single. I have no doubt in my mind that this is what BC had in mind when he wrote it. Maybe he jammed a few too many ideas in there just for the sake of reminding people that "hey the Pumpkins were cool and dynamic, remember?!" But like I said before, it gives the song some much-needed character.

I'd hate to hear a more straight-forward version of the song. Just imagine taking the verse and the chorus and just repeating those a couple times and sticking one of the bridges in there somewhere. Whatever you think of the song, that would be FAR worse.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:39 PM   #27
Channah
Demi-God

Tarantula sucks because of its terrible chorus melody, incredibly irritating backup vocals and masturbatory guitar solos that seem to go nowhere instead of enhancing the song like previous SP solos (e.g. Soma, Geek USA). I like the rest of the new material though.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:45 PM   #28
Luke de Spa

Quote:
Well first off I take the quiet part at the end as a tease. It's obviously the most classic-SP-sounding part of the song, so it just seems like a little nod and wink to the past. The fact that it's really brief and last-minute is appropriate, I think.

This song was intended to be a comeback single. I have no doubt in my mind that this is what BC had in mind when he wrote it. Maybe he jammed a few too many ideas in there just for the sake of reminding people that "hey the Pumpkins were cool and dynamic, remember?!" But like I said before, it gives the song some much-needed character.
bait-and-switch stuff in songs is fine, but only if it enhances the song. i don't think it does in this case — it just sounds spastic. you can call that "character" if you like, but don't expect me to. let's just agree to disagree, shall we?

Quote:
I'd hate to hear a more straight-forward version of the song. Just imagine taking the verse and the chorus and just repeating those a couple times and sticking one of the bridges in there somewhere. Whatever you think of the song, that would be FAR worse.
that's neither here no there, really. there are other ways to change the structure. but whatever you do you still have a bleh zwan chorus...

Old 06-18-2007, 06:56 PM   #29
Boseph
Ownz

Arrow

Quote:
let's just agree to disagree, shall we?
Sure.