Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2018, 02:07 PM   #91
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
yes i would prefer quenya thank you very much
In 8th grade English on the first day of class we had to fill out a questionnaire about ourselves and one question was if we spoke any languages other than English, and I wrote Elvish. The teacher questioned me about this assertion and I said a bunch of Sindaran phrases to her

Old 10-24-2018, 02:15 PM   #92
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Luckily, I speak 1337

Old 11-01-2018, 07:30 PM   #93
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

hobbit! now I have to get to the bottom of this, for several years now I heard "female is not a noun" left and right, (which it isn't and can never be in other languages), now I am lost. LOST! were they all telling me shit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
now you have to explain your usage of it to me.

why would you say "only a male can be this dickish" instead of "only a guy/man can be this dickish", or is there no difference at all? or would you choose "male" to in.clude men & boys, so any age group?

Old 11-01-2018, 07:31 PM   #94
FoolofaTook

pavement tune when i said only a male i meant only a man. maybe it is wrong to equate the two. i don't know. i was just trying to poke fun at men, especially the big swaggering types that florida is overflowing with.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:33 PM   #95
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

so the rule would be that the tone (sarcasm, ridiculing, whatever) does play a role in if you would choose "man" or "male"?

Say if I talk about my elementary teacher who I liked very much. I would say "that woman taught me that learning can be fun."

but it would have a different tone if I'd say "that female taught me that learning is fun."

is that it?

Old 11-01-2018, 07:34 PM   #96
FoolofaTook

interestingly, in merriam websters female is listed as a noun, but it is the second definite (the first is adjective), while for male it is the other way around.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:35 PM   #97
FoolofaTook

yeah for me the word male invokes aggression, testosterone, dickishness, a lot more than man.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:36 PM   #98
FoolofaTook

not the tone, the word itself

Old 11-01-2018, 07:36 PM   #99
pavementtune

Quote:
interestingly, in merriam websters female is listed as a noun, but it is the second definite (the first is adjective), while for male it is the other way around.
great. that's really helping!

ah. so, some qualities that aren't all that positive?

Old 11-01-2018, 07:36 PM   #100
FoolofaTook

i know i am stereotyping by the way

Old 11-01-2018, 07:38 PM   #101
FoolofaTook

positive? i said monumentsrocks was a male, remember.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:39 PM   #102
pavementtune

because I wonder if one would choose "male" or "female" as noun when you imply things that aren't all that positive.

say

"the woman who helped me out at the store was a really nice person."

vs
"that female was a really nice person." (sounds off. but "those females over there look like they can't count to three" - sounds rude, but not that off.)

or

"I could listen to that man explain physics for hours."

vs

"that male the other day was just so full of shit."

so in short, "man" or "woman" doesn't have any connotations, it's just a person. using "males" or "females" has connotations?

Old 11-01-2018, 07:41 PM   #103
FoolofaTook

yeah for sure. you are simplify them both. from a hetero male perspective, when you say male you mean that cocksure asshole. when you say female you mean someone who is defined by sexuality. so it's a way to put them down. that's why it's wrong to do it to women, and wonderful to do it to men.

hope that clears things up.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:44 PM   #104
pavementtune

Quote:
so it's a way to put them down. that's why it's wrong to do it to women, and wonderful to do it to men.

hope that clears things up.
bahaha, yes, it does! no more questions, thank you!

Old 11-01-2018, 07:56 PM   #105
pavementtune

I spoke too soon.

noooooooooo, can't you English speaking folks simplify this shit, a noun is a noun, an adjective is an adjective?

woman isn't just a noun, either. I read it all the time but somehow never blinked.

Quote:
Both words can function as nouns, but female, unlike woman, can also be an adjective. Adjectives are stretchable, happily taking "more" or "less": You can say "more female," but you cannot say "more woman"; you would have to say "more womanly." In modifying another noun, woman is what the O.E.D. labels an apposite noun — explaining, even identifying, the noun it "stands next to" — but syntactically stronger than an adjective. Both words can be used as modifiers of nouns, but the noun woman has more weight.

There's nothing new about this: The use of woman as a modifier dates to 1300, with the poet John Dryden, translating Juvenal in 1697, noticing "a woman grammarian who corrects her husband for speaking false Latin." Today, usage is neck and neck, with woman as a modifier appearing to my ear as pulling ahead of female by a nose.

Deborah Tannen, professor of linguistics at Georgetown University and author of "You're Wearing THAT? Understanding Mothers and Daughters in Conversation," gets that sense, too: "We're hearing woman as an adjective more often now. Female connotes a biological category. I think many feminists avoid it for the same reason they prefer gender to sex. ... I avoid female in my own writing because it feels disrespectful, as if I'm treating the people I'm referring to as mammals but not humans."

Now we're getting somewhere: as a modifier, female can be applied to all animals. To develop this female-woman distinction further, turn to Robin Lakoff, professor of linguistics at the University of California at Berkeley and author of a linguistic classic, "The Language War."

First, Lakoff notes that a "woman doctor is closer to a 'doctor who is a woman,' while a female doctor is closer to a 'doctor who is female' — the last an adjective with no indefinite article. A very small distinction in meaning, but I think it works to focus more attention on woman than is focused on female in analogous cases." That's because an adjective adds color to a noun, while apposite nouns are part of the basis of meaning of a noun phrase.

"The use of either woman or female with terms such as 'president, speaker, doctor, professor,'" the linguist says, "suggests that a woman holding that position is marked — in some way unnatural, and that it is natural for men to hold it (so we never say 'male doctor,' still less 'man doctor'). When I first began in my job, people like me were often referred to as 'woman' or 'female' professors, but thankfully no more, as we have become a more normal (unmarked) part of the academic landscape. In time I trust that women presidents and female speakers will vanish in the same way."

That leads her to make an unexpected point that goes beyond the female- woman divide: "Since we feel so strongly (still) that a president is necessarily male, every time we say 'woman president,' we reinforce that view: that only a man can be commander in chief, symbolize the U.S. (which is metonymically Uncle Sam and not Aunt Samantha, after all) and make it harder to conceive of, and hence vote for, a woman in that role."
https://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/18/o...e.4943390.html
okay then, I just...give up!

Old 11-01-2018, 09:16 PM   #106
FoolofaTook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
I mean, I have noticed that it's a strange quirk of neckbeards to refer to women as "females" (for example, "Western females are so entitled, so I only date Asian females), but jumping from that to saying that using "female" as a noun is necessarily a micragression seems pretty odd, especially when I'm pretty sure "male" and "female" have always been accepted as nouns.

And if one truly insists upon the sex/gender distinction, then there would necessarily be some instances in which "male" and "female" would be the correct words to use, rather than "man" or "woman." Like, if we specifically mean to talk about sexes, and not genders.

And then the article actually lists of an example of how to use a word somebody mentioning the word instead of using it. Could you imagine if you opened up a dictionary for an example of how to use the word, and the example was "Tom spelt 'sequacious' correctly on a spelling test?"

The article could keep context in mind, and simply say that in some contexts, calling a person a "female" is going to make you sound awkward or isn't the appropriate word, and document how this mistake is often made by misogynists, but instead it makes a pretty wide and context-insensitive claim about how the very use of the word as a noun is a patriarchal micragression, probably more to signify that this male writer is totally enlightened about the sexism women face and is one of the "good guys," rather than to actually change people's language to be more respectful of others' dignity and feelings. Like, the claim that "female" is necessarily an objectifying term kinda implies that females are objects, and is also a ridiculous claim, because other than when applied metaphorically to tools and connectors (USB ports, for example), the terms "male" and "female" necessarily relate to, uh, living things, and not objects.
wish i could think and write like this guy

Old 11-05-2018, 11:57 AM   #107
FoolofaTook

Unhappy fuck

holy christfuck this midterm is about to own my soul. check out the sentence patterns i am supposed to find:

First, match the sentences below to the correct patterns.
A. PP - Vi - S - Vi
B. S - VL - SC(PA) - PP - Vt - DO - OC
C. S - Vi - PP - PP - PP - SubC - S - Vi
D. S - Vi - PP - S - Vi - SubC - S - VL - SC(PA)
E. S - Vi - PP - S - Vt - DO - PP
F. PP - S - Vi - PP - Vt - DO - PP
G. S - Vt - DO - PP - PP - S - Vt - DO
H. S - Vt - DO - PP - PP - Vi - S - Vt - DO/SubC - S - Vt - IO - Do
I. S - Vi - PP - SubC/S - Vi - PP
J. PP - PP - S - PP - Vi - Vt - Vi - PP

Here is a key to the abbreviations above:
S – subject
VL – linking verb
Vi – verb, intransitive
Vt – verb, transitive
DO – direct object
SC (PA) – subject complement, predicate adjective
OC – object complement
SubC – subordinate conjunction
PP – prepositional phrase

IO – indirect object
Then identify the sentences as simple, compound, complex, or compound-complex.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:58 AM   #108
FoolofaTook

i guess matching beats explicating that shit on my own but still, like, fuck.

Old 11-09-2018, 10:54 AM   #109
FoolofaTook

Angry

get a load of this "simple" sentence:

Curled up on one of her pillows, a gray fluff of kitten yawned, showing its pink tongue, tucked its head under again, and went back to sleep.

This is the pattern: Prep Phrase - Prep Phrase - Subject - Prep Phrase - Verb Intransitive - Verb Transitive - Verb Intransitive - Prep Phrase

Curld up (PP) on one of her pillows, (PP) a gray fluff (S) of kitten (PP) yawned (Vi), showing its pink tongue, tucked (Vt) its head under again, and went back (Vi) to sleep. (PP)

This shit split my skull. Fortunately this part of the exam is matching.

Old 11-09-2018, 11:11 AM   #110
pavementtune

why is "on one of her pillows" not a DO?

Old 11-09-2018, 08:42 PM   #111
FoolofaTook

because it is describing the subject, not receiving action through a verb. or something. don't ask me. i have no idea what's going on. for example, why isn't "showing it's pink tongue" labelled at all? or "its head under again"?

i matched all the rest of the sentences and then ended up with the answer for this one. that's how i know it fits.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:24 PM   #112
myosis
Minion of Satan

"hydraSense Eye Drop solution contains a naturally sourced lubricant that its efficacy is backed by science."

uh?

Old 11-12-2018, 09:12 AM   #113
FoolofaTook

holy fucking shit i got 138/126 on my midterm. and i thought i flunked so bad it would make me fail the class. now my overall grade is 93%

so happy!

Old 11-12-2018, 09:13 AM   #114
FoolofaTook

Quote:
Originally Posted by myosis View Post
"hydraSense Eye Drop solution contains a naturally sourced lubricant that its efficacy is backed by science."

uh?
that its = whose

Old 11-12-2018, 09:50 AM   #115
FoolofaTook

Angry

holy shit check out this madness:

Adverbs modify verbs, adjectives, and other adverbs. They can also modify verbals and complete clauses. Adverbs answer questions such as Where? When? How? Why? To what extent? Under what circumstances?

Yesterday, to escape the boredom of summer vacation, John ran quickly across the field while juggling three balls.

When did he run? Yesterday. How did he run? Quickly. Where did he run? Across the field (a prepositional phrase functioning as an adverb). How did he run? While juggling three balls (a verbal phrase functioning as an adverb). Why did he run? To escape the boredom of summer vacation (an infinitive phrase functioning as an adverb). Get it?

Old 11-12-2018, 04:36 PM   #116
myosis
Minion of Satan

Quote:
that its = whose
did that sentence work as is, though? i found it in a leaflet for my eye drops

Old 11-12-2018, 07:24 PM   #117
FoolofaTook

that sentence is an abomination

fuck that sentence

Old 11-12-2018, 10:03 PM   #118
myosis
Minion of Satan

FUCK IT HARD

Old 11-12-2018, 10:28 PM   #119
FoolofaTook

Old 11-12-2018, 11:22 PM   #120
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

I saw some parenting thing on FB that was written in broken english, it was pretty classic stuff.

"If your child LIES now....is because you blow too big your reaction, before."