Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 05-04-2019, 11:51 PM   #4291
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I don't heckle or make any faces or gestures or anything. I'm just not laughing.

Old 05-05-2019, 12:56 AM   #4292
ilikeplanets
Braindead

you're only an asshole if you know you hate them and you go anyway just to act like that. if you go in good faith and the comedian sucks, well, then THEY are the asshole

Old 05-05-2019, 08:02 AM   #4293
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
] I purposely sit near the front so that the comic can see me not laughing
not if it's a cracker.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:06 AM   #4294
yo soy el mejor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
This is pretty much my marriage

I was reminiscing with my husband today about a conversation that went like this

Me: “I just feel like I contribute more to our relationship than you do.”
Him: “I actually don’t understand what you are saying. How about you figure out what you want me to do, and then I’ll do it.”
so you say inflammatory things for attention (that maybe house a lot of truth for you, but aren't necessarily true) and he's learned to "deal" with it by not dealing with it?

y'all can grow out of that lazy toxicity with some individual therapy. i used to be like you in that way but you're just hurting yourself, honey.

Last edited by yo soy el mejor : 05-05-2019 at 08:15 AM.

Old 05-05-2019, 02:03 PM   #4295
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
not if it's a cracker.
Well, there wasn't a molecule of melanin between them.

Old 05-05-2019, 02:07 PM   #4296
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
you're only an asshole if you know you hate them and you go anyway just to act like that. if you go in good faith and the comedian sucks, well, then THEY are the asshole
Yeah, I had no idea there would even be stand-up. I went to see some bands, but there were comedy sets before the music sets.

One of the comics' jokes sounded really familiar. I couldn't place where I had heard them from, and I figured she must had been borrowing jokes from somebody I'd seen on YouTube or something. Then I realized that I had seen her before when I had accidentally stumbled into an open-mic on a date. That was the only other time I had seen live comedy. There must be six comedians in this city.

Old 05-05-2019, 03:10 PM   #4297
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
so you say inflammatory things for attention (that maybe house a lot of truth for you, but aren't necessarily true) and he's learned to "deal" with it by not dealing with it?

y'all can grow out of that lazy toxicity with some individual therapy. i used to be like you in that way but you're just hurting yourself, honey.
We have different personalities. “Contributing more to a relationship” is a meaningful sentence to me, to him, it’s not.

That’s not toxic, that’s just....marriage. People have different ways of communicating and different ideas of what is meaningful. Sometimes it’s hard, but what are we gonna do, split up because it’s hard?

We’ve both had individual therapy and it has helped us a lot. But it doesn’t stop us being fundamentally different people, with different world views.

Old 05-05-2019, 05:29 PM   #4298
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a8740501.html

It’s this kind of shit. Women still tend to juggle the household mentally, when they’re working. When they say they’re overwhelmed, men genuinely tend to think that saying “what single job can you assign me right now, that will help you feel less overwhelmed?” Is a useful response. They genuinely can’t see that they are just adding to the mental/emotional labour that the woman is doing by asking her to now ALSO manage his involvement in the household labour. Just...different mindsets

Old 05-05-2019, 07:34 PM   #4299
yo soy el mejor

people don't need to be married to talk about contributions to relationships. it's not a peak you reach. and neither is marriage.

you pretty much have always talked about your relationship as if every other relationship is working its way to what you have, though.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:28 PM   #4300
redbreegull

romantic relationships are touchy things and people often seem very resistant to the idea that relationships outside the model they are accustomed to are desirable or even possible

Old 05-05-2019, 11:34 PM   #4301
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
people don't need to be married to talk about contributions to relationships. it's not a peak you reach. and neither is marriage.

you pretty much have always talked about your relationship as if every other relationship is working its way to what you have, though.
Well not to everyone but let’s be honest

My relationship until very recently = your relationship + marriage + children

Now my relationship = your relationship + children

You are factually heading towards my relationship

Which is maybe why you talk about it so much

Old 05-05-2019, 11:37 PM   #4302
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
romantic relationships are touchy things and people often seem very resistant to the idea that relationships outside the model they are accustomed to are desirable or even possible
I find this to be very true

A notable example of this at netphoria is the resistance of people who are currently single or who are averse to commitment, to the idea that lifelong monogamous relationships that are hard and involve compromise and sacrifice are desirable or even possible

Old 05-05-2019, 11:45 PM   #4303
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
When they say they’re overwhelmed, men genuinely tend to think that saying “what single job can you assign me right now, that will help you feel less overwhelmed?” Is a useful response. They genuinely can’t see that they are just adding to the mental/emotional labour that the woman is doing by asking her to now ALSO manage his involvement in the household labour.
I FEEL PERSONALLY ATTACKED

Old 05-05-2019, 11:56 PM   #4304
D.
Consume my pants.

I really can appreciate that B. thinks about three thousand things past/present/future all while holding down a very demanding job; but there's also a part of me that wishes she would chill tf out and realize that not everything is her problem.
I find that, even if we didn't have a kid or she didn't have a demanding job, she would find something to worry about. I feel like she feeds off having something, on which to focus her overactive mind.

It does cause many issues between us because I am super laid-back about stuff. Although I am very routine oriented (planner, crave a day-in-day-out pattern of life,etc), I also don't take shit that seriously. And sometimes my devil-may-care demeanor makes her feel like I am not worried or invested in our life or her concerns.
But for the last 7 years of our daughter's life, I have been the primary parent - doing the day to day routine with her, purposely moving my schedule(s) around or not taken certain jobs to accommodate, field trips, etc. - so she could move up the corporate ladder.

I just focus on different things and, since I don't seem worried about the same stuff she is, she thinks I don't care. or something.

Old 05-06-2019, 12:48 AM   #4305
yo soy el mejor

Cool

Quote:
Well not to everyone but let’s be honest

My relationship until very recently = your relationship + marriage + children

Now my relationship = your relationship + children

You are factually heading towards my relationship

Which is maybe why you talk about it so much
haha nah. yikes.

Old 05-06-2019, 01:04 AM   #4306
ilikeplanets
Braindead

all marriages are definitely not the same

Old 05-06-2019, 01:23 AM   #4307
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
haha nah. yikes.
I guess we’ll see

Old 05-06-2019, 06:25 AM   #4308
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. View Post
I really can appreciate that B. thinks about three thousand things past/present/future all while holding down a very demanding job; but there's also a part of me that wishes she would chill tf out and realize that not everything is her problem.
I find that, even if we didn't have a kid or she didn't have a demanding job, she would find something to worry about. I feel like she feeds off having something, on which to focus her overactive mind.

It does cause many issues between us because I am super laid-back about stuff. Although I am very routine oriented (planner, crave a day-in-day-out pattern of life,etc), I also don't take shit that seriously. And sometimes my devil-may-care demeanor makes her feel like I am not worried or invested in our life or her concerns.
But for the last 7 years of our daughter's life, I have been the primary parent - doing the day to day routine with her, purposely moving my schedule(s) around or not taken certain jobs to accommodate, field trips, etc. - so she could move up the corporate ladder.

I just focus on different things and, since I don't seem worried about the same stuff she is, she thinks I don't care. or something.
This has been an ongoing issue for us, too.

When I met my husband, he was living alone. He hates cleaning toilets and washing dishes. His solution was eating nothing but grilled cheese sandwiches off paper towels and pretending the dishes weren't there. Some of them had mold growing on them. He ignored the toilet unless he was using it.

He's actually fastidiously tidy. But he only needs his work/living space to be that way. So he makes the bed every morning because he wants his sleeping space to be in order. Does not give a shit about the dishes or the bathroom.

I'm the opposite. I couldn't care less about whether the bed is made, or whether a pile of papers has been sitting unsorted on my desk for a month. But I can't stand a dirty kitchen or bathroom.

My husband is better now. He was 22 when we met. He's 38 now, and he adults better, we both do. But if I leave him to clean up after dinner, it does not bother him at all, to wash up only half the dishes, and just rinse the rest and leave them sitting on the bench. In his mind, something is better than nothing, and he's made a start.

In my mind WTF WHY WOULD YOU LEAVE IT UNFINISHED LIKE THIS OMG

So, I've had to let go, a bit

either finish the job or choose to ignore it and not care about it.

Old 05-06-2019, 06:28 AM   #4309
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
this is very true, although it seems to me that marriages that last a lifetime do seem to share some common elements like commitment, self-sacrifice, compromise etc.

Old 05-06-2019, 08:28 AM   #4310
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

those are common elements of any long-term relationship. shocker!

Old 05-06-2019, 08:29 AM   #4311
Cool As Ice Cream

i am le shocked.

Old 05-06-2019, 08:29 AM   #4312
Cool As Ice Cream

/french

Old 05-06-2019, 08:31 AM   #4313
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Le surprise!
/fuckfrench

Old 05-06-2019, 08:47 AM   #4314
yo soy el mejor

Old 05-06-2019, 09:03 AM   #4315
Cool As Ice Cream

le yo soy le el mejor

Old 05-06-2019, 09:03 AM   #4316
Cool As Ice Cream

Quelle horreur!

Old 05-06-2019, 09:18 AM   #4317
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
it's about as true as saying "all rock music is the same", take that to mean what you want

Old 05-06-2019, 10:36 AM   #4318
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

marriage. puh

Old 05-06-2019, 10:36 AM   #4319
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

rock music. puh

Old 05-06-2019, 10:44 AM   #4320
ilikeplanets
Braindead

People that are married to the music are the most committed