Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 06-17-2021, 08:20 AM   #61
Shallowed
Braindead

god damn imagine seeing smashing pumpkins live on the day the news broke about Kurt Cobain's death

they don't have much to say

Old 07-16-2021, 05:24 PM   #62
Brisk
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallowed View Post
god damn imagine seeing smashing pumpkins live on the day the news broke about Kurt Cobain's death

thts a hot I am One

Old 10-03-2021, 02:24 AM   #63
Copperpot5
Demi-God

hmmmmmmm - dunno if I'll do it full though....

Last edited by Copperpot5 : 10-04-2021 at 03:25 AM.

Old 10-03-2021, 03:35 AM   #64
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

noice!

Old 10-03-2021, 04:35 AM   #65
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Old 10-06-2021, 03:13 AM   #66
selection7
Demi-God

Default Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallowed View Post

I had never noticed that before. On that day, and yes, I remember where I was when I heard Cobain had died, I could have easily gone to that Pumpkins show that evening (...had someone take me, to be more specific) since it was less than an hour drive away from where I lived at the time. What's especially unusual is that area was hardly a mecca for famous rock bands to play. Regardless, I didn't become a big fan until about 2 years later, so it wasn't on my radar.

Old 10-06-2021, 08:19 AM   #67
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

So basically you have nothing to share?

Old 10-06-2021, 12:37 PM   #68
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Angry

No, that was really interesting.

Similarly, I could have gone to that show (well... could have gone with Gloria Estefan, JFK Jr., and Henry Kissinger; I'm not sure which one would have driven, as I didn't know any of these people — in fact, I still do not — or have any way of contacting them, but as I say it was technically possible), as I was alive and on this planet at the time. I remember where I was that day and could have chosen a number of different transportation options to get to that location. What's interesting is that I was not already in that location, but could have reached it in time for the show if I chose from the range of transportation options correctly and gave myself a sufficient amount of time. For instance, I could have walked, but it would have taken me a little over 19 days if I did not stop to sleep, which seems unlikely. It probably would have been more like a month realistically. Taking trains and buses, I could have been there in two days. A flight, though — get this — would have been a mere five hours. Where I was, and this is fascinating, was a town that was also not exactly a mecca for rock shows, so I feel an especial affinity with this event and place. In fact I don't believe any major rock groups have played in the town where I was that day. For instance, The Beatles, Kittie, Sevendust, The Big Bopper, Bruce Willis, David Duchovny, Crazy Town, Green Jelly, Lit, L7, Third Eye Blind, Wheatus, Ugly Kid Joe, Extreme, Living Colour, Black Sabbath, The Who, Boston, Chicago, The Allman Brothers, Bruce Springsteen, Firehouse, Queen, Blue Oyster Cult, Iron Maiden, Jethro Tull, Tommy Tutone, Midnight Oil, Echo & The Bunnymen, This Mortal Coil, and Harvey Danger all did not play a rock concert in my town. Perhaps most significantly, Adam West, TV's Batman, also did not play, although to my knowledge he never played rock music in public and may not have even been musically inclined. I was a Pumpkins fan at the time so, as I said, I could have gone, had I been aware of the show and also interested in spending a lot of money to get there and attend. I did not have the internet at the time. I don't believe many people did. And so it would have been difficult to find out about the show. I owned a Mac; my family has always been a Mac family, and I am in fact writing this on a new M1 Macbook Air. So there's some special continuity between that day and today. I suppose we had a TI-86 prior to buying our first Mac. My favorite games on that were Rabbit Trail and Car Wars. Rabbit Trail was pretty hard and I would get frustrated, so a lot of the time I just watched my sister play because she had better hand-eye coordination, being six years older than I am. In fact, get this: she has always, and continues to be, six years older than I am. Like, today? She's six years older than I am. And on that day, in 1994? Also six years older. That's another special connection between that day and today. She was also, importantly, in that same town as me that day, and learned about Kurt Cobain's death at the same time. We were watching MTV. Kurt Loder was very upset, as I recall. It was pretty weird to watch him fighting back tears. You don't see that with newscasters much, or I suppose you'd just call him an MTV VJ. I don't recall Kennedy ever crying about anything. I think she turned out to be a hard right-winger? I think that's right. My favorite was Serena Altschul, though, and I believe she's a nice person. You know who else had a crush on Serena? Sifl, of the Sifl and Olly show. Significantly, this ran on MTV. But not until a few years after this Pumpkins show, so I won't spend too much time talking about it. It was great, though, really funny. They were sock puppets but they were, like, rowdy sock puppets. This wasn't anything like the Muppets! No, sir.

However, and this is really the most fascinating aspect of this story, I did not go to the show as I was not aware of it, and my parents probably wouldn't have let me anyway, and thus have no insight into what happened there.

Old 10-06-2021, 10:27 PM   #69
trev
charm

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to topleybird again.

Old 06-08-2022, 11:35 PM   #70
Shallowed
Braindead

Old 06-09-2022, 04:04 AM   #71
trev
charm

thanks for bringing this thread back - topley's last past was fucking a++ top tier quality shit, even on the re-read a year later.

Old 06-09-2022, 10:29 AM   #72
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Cool

What's especially meaningful is that, after I posted that, Gloria Estefan (who posts here, but I don't think she wants me to say what her username is) reached out to me, and we are now BFFs and have in fact considered driving to Pumpkins shows together

Old 06-09-2022, 11:22 AM   #73
Gooch
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
What's especially meaningful is that, after I posted that, Gloria Estefan (who posts here, but I don't think she wants me to say what her username is) reached out to me, and we are now BFFs and have in fact considered driving to Pumpkins shows together
Its a trick, its only cuz she dont have gas money. "Oh I forgot my purse" is what she always says, then hits you up for cigarettes all night, and then McDonalds drive thru before you drop her off. And she always orders a supersize number 2, with extra cheese and extra pickles, and "gimmie one of those apple pie tarts for later, nah make it too, YOLO!! HAAAAAAAYYYY!!' she'll say. Leaving you to pay for it all.

Old 06-09-2022, 11:49 AM   #74
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Thumbs up

I appreciate the warning, but look, if all Took, I mean Gloria, wants in return for giving me hits that enriched my life like "Rhythm is Gonna Get You," "1-2-3," and "Turn the Beat Around" is a pack of Newports, a large Quarter Pounder meal and two baked apple pies, I'll consider that more than a fair trade.

Old 09-03-2022, 03:46 PM   #75
inkless
Ownz

Old 09-03-2022, 05:11 PM   #76
jakobtheliar
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperpot5 View Post
hmmmmmmm - dunno if I'll do it full though....

I was at this show!
So dope! Hopefully you do the whole thing Copperpot...

Old 09-03-2022, 07:22 PM   #77
Copperpot5
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobtheliar View Post
I was at this show!
So dope! Hopefully you do the whole thing Copperpot...
Ugh, sorry....It's kinda done but I have to make sure it's in sync etc. I've had a chaotic few months and my Youtube production/motivation has suffered. I will get it finished though, and see that there's interest does help keep it in my head......