Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2011, 03:24 AM   #1
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.
Default Funf unf un fest

Ted Leo and the Pharmacists won the festival.
I have to mention that Danzig was playing Friday with a bunch of hullaballoo about playing for two hours and doing selections from his entire catalogue and whatnot, but when time came to do it he said "It's too fucking cold, it's not good for my voice" and showed up 45 minutes late and then bitched when they kicked him off stage at 10 when the festival closes. So after a tremendous set on Sunday evening, Ted Leo says "It's too fucking cold," and then dashes off behind his amp and gets on a sleeveless teeshirt and a danzig wig and then does an awesome Danzig impression for 4 covers of Danzig shit. It was the only time I saw people running to a stage at the festival. I've heard of Ted Leo but I never listened to his stuff but man I absolutely loved all of it, and the pure entertainment of the finale was icing.
  • We Were Promised Jetpacks (!!!) they were playing in front of Slayer's marshall stacks and they were loud enough to make it look like they belonged to them
  • Lykke Li was gothome. Really Surprised by that. Very arty, theatrical show and she does have a great smoky, bluesy voice. And she sampled POWER.
  • Neon Indian was groovy makeout music that I made out to.
  • Hum - i didn't get it before i saw them live, they are surprisingly aggressive and jagged
  • The Thermals - Lots of fun
  • Ty Segall i thought was a boring singer/songwriter but it turns out he's got a really aggressive, growly, screamy garage punk act
  • Youth Brigade were one of those crusty punks acts that's still around, but they were on point and had plenty of WOAAAAHHH OOOOH OOOOHS and the frontman said sharp, pointed, funny shit. Like, echoing what I said walking up to Public Enemy the previous night, "Public Enemy is more punk rock than Danzig." Or "It's great to be in Texas." (Obligitory woo) "Your governor is a jackass," *starts song*.
  • Asobi Seksu was good, caught only the last two songs but it was really dreamy shoegaze.
  • M83 i liked what i heard but i couldn't see anything, the entire place was absolutely packed on saturday
  • Boris was great, I didn't know the drummer made WHOOS all the time.
  • Joy Formidable is a lot more fun than I expected in spite of their lyrics, but they tip it towards silly. Ritzy Bryan is entertaining as shit playing the guitar, and the Whirring noise finale was tremendous in spite of the very silly inflatable cartoon cat heads.
  • Del was the best rap act i saw, full band, not a lot of bullshit, busting rhymes at a high success rate to be technically considered "ill."
  • Public Enemy was good but there was a lot of Flav time for him to blather incoherently, I suppose that's the only way to get him to do it. I feel like Chuck wants to keep him off TV, which is best for everyone.
  • Kool Keith kind of sucks.
  • Rakim didn't make it I think.
  • I started to get Flying Lotus but I didn't stick around because I wanted to see Boris.
  • Surprised with how hard Okkervil rocked the stage.
  • Cold Cave was tremendous. I saw them open for the Kills and they lose something playing in the total blackout stage lighting they like, in the late afternoon it's just absolutely entertaining to watch the other keyboardist dance, thrash, run around, and scream out lyrics without a mic. They really killed it.
  • Boring/uninspiring but respectable: Girls, Spoon, Mates of State, Murder City Devils (I think it was just because they were weirdly not very loud)
  • Archetecture in Helsinki, Tune-Yards, Ra Ra Riot, Crap Your Pants and Say Shit are now classified as Hipster Hop. And they suck.
  • Russian Circles is like a Tool cover band with no vocals. BARFFFFFFFFFFF
  • Wish I didn't miss: Cave In, The Damned, Dan Deacon, Turquoise Jeep, Shapes Have Fangs (local act, check them out if you like garage/black angels), D Generation, eyehategod, Black Milk, Four Tet (though I heard Public Enemy sounchecked over him), Odd Future
  • Fuck Slayer

honestly didn't think i could enjoy myself doing something this much, i usually find something to bitch about but even really bad dust, a little rain, and sheer exhaustion it was all pretty much worth it.

YA BOY

Last edited by Trotskilicious : 11-07-2011 at 03:32 AM.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:29 AM   #2
Trotskilicious
Banned

actually i shouldn't say fuck slayer, they are actually tremendously talented if not earsplitting

i do have to respect a band that i can hear clearly on the other side of town lake

Old 11-07-2011, 03:31 AM   #3
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Gotta go to bed but i'll check this out tomorrow.

Slayer fucks U

Old 11-07-2011, 03:34 AM   #4
Trotskilicious
Banned

oh i also saw this guy i thought was Death Grips but i think it was an accident or something i'm not sure what happened but what i saw was a man in his boxer briefs screaming incoherently and hitting a button on the floor to play really awful, jagged pre recorded hardcore tracks

at one point he started pointing at the sky line screaming LOOK OVER THERE
LOOK OVER THERE
nobody's looking
he says it six more times
and then the quote of the festival:

"THAT'S A FUCKING PYRAMID!!!! ALL PYRAMIDS MUST BE DESTROYED!!!!!"

Old 11-07-2011, 09:39 AM   #5
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Fun Fun Fuckkng Dust Festival!

Old 11-07-2011, 10:38 AM   #6
pale blue eyes
NOPE.

Sounds like a pretty good festival. Ted Leo is always fun to see live. There was a festival here that because of rain got shoved into a college basketball arena so I went and saw him instead.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:57 PM   #7
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sppunk View Post
Fun Fun Fuckkng Dust Festival!
shut the fuck up you weren't even there to be able to make jokes about the dust

Old 11-07-2011, 08:28 PM   #8
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

I almost died from dust at two separate Bonnaroos

Glad you had fun sir, I watched the Pitchfork stream for Hum

Old 11-07-2011, 08:36 PM   #9
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
shut the fuck up you weren't even there to be able to make jokes about the dust
I knew probably 50 people there and they all wouldn't stop bitching about it on Twitter and Facebook.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:42 PM   #10
Trotskilicious
Banned

well you know some annoying crybabies and also 50 people? I fucking doubt it.

dust was bad on friday but it stopped being horrible on saturday and it was too damp and humid on sunday for it to really be a problem and if you have a bandana it's really not a big deal #firstworldproblems P U N K R O C K F O R E V E R

i complain about shit all the time and the fun of the venue, and the quality and variety of the entertainment, and the cool weather/breeze, and the magnificence of the setting of Auditorium shores at the foot of the skyline outweighed any problems with dust by a significant degree

and i'd rather it be dusty than muddy

Last edited by Trotskilicious : 11-07-2011 at 08:47 PM.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:43 PM   #11
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogfighter28 View Post
I watched the Pitchfork stream for Hum
that was some good shit, the girl i was with didn't really like it so i went over to Boris and she didn't like that either and i was like ...

i hope the ted leo misfits stuff comes out on youtube or something

Old 11-07-2011, 08:48 PM   #12
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

Come to bronaroo

Old 11-07-2011, 08:53 PM   #13
Trotskilicious
Banned

logistically it's an issue because of the time off from work

it's easier for me to just take two or three days off work and go to SXSW in the spring and do FFF in the fall

I think Bonnaroo is too big for me to actually enjoy, that's why I liked FFF. It was small enough at certain events to make it feel like intimate shows, akin to SXSW which is kind of the opposite, being SO BIG and SO CONFUSING that many shows are kind of small and cool, like the J. Masics, Wild Flag and Dum Dum Girls stuff I saw last march

i was up fairly close for Ted Leo, even though the crowd on the terrace behind me was still pretty thick

Old 11-07-2011, 08:54 PM   #14
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

Bonnaroo is actually a great mix of massive shows and small shows. The problems are more that there are so many great bands playing at once that it is impossible to see everything that you want to.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:58 PM   #15
Trotskilicious
Banned

well also i have to go home to a fucking tent instead of my bed

Old 11-07-2011, 08:59 PM   #16
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

yeah its ok though because you're so fucked up its better than a bed and there are naked chicks everywhere

Old 11-07-2011, 09:01 PM   #17
Trotskilicious
Banned

public nudity to me denotes low class

Old 11-07-2011, 09:01 PM   #18
Trotskilicious
Banned

and possibly STDs

Old 11-07-2011, 09:02 PM   #19
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Quote:
well you know some annoying crybabies and also 50 people? I fucking doubt it.

dust was bad on friday but it stopped being horrible on saturday and it was too damp and humid on sunday for it to really be a problem and if you have a bandana it's really not a big deal #firstworldproblems P U N K R O C K F O R E V E R

i complain about shit all the time and the fun of the venue, and the quality and variety of the entertainment, and the cool weather/breeze, and the magnificence of the setting of Auditorium shores at the foot of the skyline outweighed any problems with dust by a significant degree

and i'd rather it be dusty than muddy
I fucking love Auditorium Shores (I'm still pissed Emo's closed ... ). Yeah I didn't hear any bitching Sunday (I should go count how many people I know that went, like 1/4 of my friends are in Austin ) so that makes sense. They were eating HUM up, wish I could've gone.

The girls wouldn't STFU about Ryan Gosling either.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:06 PM   #20
Trotskilicious
Banned

yeah as shitty as emo's was it had shitty charm. it was punk rock, that's for sure.

i'm glad i saw TITUS there before it closed

Old 11-07-2011, 09:07 PM   #21
Trotskilicious
Banned

i was supposed to see wild flag there but since they suddenly closed it after ACL Fest they moved it to la zona rosa which sucks and should go away (even though it does have great sound, it can't save the relic warehouse of a venue) and when i realized it was Halloween weekend i was just like "fuck it"

Old 11-07-2011, 09:07 PM   #22
Trotskilicious
Banned

the new emo's is at the old backroom

so the crime in the area is a bit of a problem

Old 11-07-2011, 09:25 PM   #23
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Quote:
i was supposed to see wild flag there but since they suddenly closed it after ACL Fest they moved it to la zona rosa which sucks and should go away (even though it does have great sound, it can't save the relic warehouse of a venue) and when i realized it was Halloween weekend i was just like "fuck it"
I saw they moved a ton shows to La Zona Rosa, which is IMO the worst music venue in the entire fucking city. I despise that place.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:35 PM   #24
Trotskilicious
Banned

i scored there so i don't hate it that much

it would be improved if it had exit routes to the bar/outside on both sides of the stage but it only has the one

and the sound is pretty solid, i saw Warpaint and the Kills there and they both sounded tremendous.