Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2023, 03:49 PM   #1
djzap
Pledge

Default FOL Remaster

I know you're probably sick of all these remasters but this track really needed some work. Since I did the vocal down mixes a while back I've noticed a lot of other people doing them. I've got a new Zeitgeist one but there's loads of others out there now that I feel it would be oversaturation to put it out tbh. But haven't seen this one done yet!

Last edited by djzap : 03-09-2023 at 04:28 PM.

Old 03-09-2023, 05:12 PM   #2
djzap
Pledge

Here's Gossamer too

Old 03-09-2023, 08:20 PM   #3
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Both came out great, especially FOL.

FOL is a decent track. The only thing that hurts it is the "come on and feel our love" vocal. If it had a better hook, it would be a great track.

Old 03-09-2023, 09:37 PM   #4
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

come on and feelalo

brought to you by HYUNDAI AUTOMBILE COMPANY

fuck you, we're Honda

Old 03-09-2023, 10:09 PM   #5
vitaldust
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: a melting apocalyptic jungle bleeding out of me like a dream

These sound amazing! Thank you!!

Old 03-09-2023, 11:12 PM   #6
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

happy honda days

Old 03-09-2023, 11:59 PM   #7
Machinist
Ownz

Your work on these is fantastic. Thank you!

I'm really enjoying Gossamer - on my third listen now.

Old 03-10-2023, 04:21 AM   #8
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Superchrist remaster/vocal Remix, please, good sir

Old 03-10-2023, 09:26 PM   #9
Morlock
Ownz

It always felt like Billy's meltdown robbed us of an album post Zeitgeist, with these two and a bunch of other songs. It would be amazing if someone could mix and master the best available material to make everything sound like a cohesive unit.

So, yeah, just make it happen. Here is the tracklist.

1. As Rome Burns (with Jimmy)
2. FOL
3. Owata (with Jimmy)
4. GLOW
5. Song for a Son (with Jimmy)
6. No Surrender
7. Superchrist
8. Gossamer
9. 99 Floors

Last edited by Morlock : 03-10-2023 at 09:32 PM.

Old 03-10-2023, 09:32 PM   #10
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

You’re gonna incl. Owata but not Tom Tom? A Stitch in Time was good too.

Old 03-10-2023, 09:38 PM   #11
Morlock
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
No way

Old 03-10-2023, 09:38 PM   #12
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

I liked Astral Planes and The Fellowship

Old 03-10-2023, 09:39 PM   #13
Morlock
Ownz

Quote:
Why would I ******* Mike? There is a reason I'd select the Jimmy versions of songs that ended up on Teargarden.

Old 03-10-2023, 11:08 PM   #14
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Jimmy is irrelevant to the quality of a song (see: Atum). Those 2 songs are inherently good regardless of whether he was on them or not.

Old 03-10-2023, 11:11 PM   #15
djzap
Pledge

thanks for the kind words!

if there's good soundboards of Owata, Song for a Son, and As Rome Burns then I might be able to try something, but really don't wanna spend too much time on live stuff. fighting an uphill battle there in terms of sound quality usually, and crowd noise, and vocal performance. so many factors need to be right to make a nice listenable version (i am generally not a fan of live recordings so maybe thats my bias). main reason I did Gossamer is because it only exists as a live version.

the audio splitting tech isn't good enough to put parts from other songs in or entirely remove parts from songs for example, the artefacts just become too much. even in the gossamer mix i'm a bit not happy with the artefacts from having to do so much to it.

also none of the soundboards ive heard of as rome burns have like... a good vocal performance haha. always slurred or like jumping on and off the mic making it very hard to keep an even level, or even for the splitting tools to pick up the vocals properly on the vocal stem.

really what i want is a nice version of the Spirits in the Sky songs and Backwards Clock Society. Circular Change and Make It Happen are bangers. Lonely Is The Name too...

Old 03-11-2023, 12:24 AM   #16
Ram27
dumb

you're doing an excellent job with this

i must also post my strategy, which is learning to enjoy live recordings for the weirdness and shittiness and crowd noise

backwards clock society was such a cool name

Old 03-11-2023, 05:28 AM   #17
inkless
Ownz

https://archive.org/details/Smashing...2-10d2t09.flac

Reviewer: mr twig - favoritefavoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - January 13, 2010
Subject: best silverfuck ever
smoking show and I can't even begin to describe how amazing this silverfuck is

this version deserves a remaster

Old 03-11-2023, 09:56 AM   #18
Morlock
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by djzap View Post
thanks for the kind words!

if there's good soundboards of Owata, Song for a Son, and As Rome Burns then I might be able to try something, but really don't wanna spend too much time on live stuff. fighting an uphill battle there in terms of sound quality usually, and crowd noise, and vocal performance. so many factors need to be right to make a nice listenable version (i am generally not a fan of live recordings so maybe thats my bias). main reason I did Gossamer is because it only exists as a live version.

the audio splitting tech isn't good enough to put parts from other songs in or entirely remove parts from songs for example, the artefacts just become too much. even in the gossamer mix i'm a bit not happy with the artefacts from having to do so much to it.

also none of the soundboards ive heard of as rome burns have like... a good vocal performance haha. always slurred or like jumping on and off the mic making it very hard to keep an even level, or even for the splitting tools to pick up the vocals properly on the vocal stem.

really what i want is a nice version of the Spirits in the Sky songs and Backwards Clock Society. Circular Change and Make It Happen are bangers. Lonely Is The Name too...
You did a brilliant job, and thanks for even considering the idea. I am really not expecting you to put in the time just because some random guy suggested it on Netphoria, but I would filn an album like the one to be amazing. I remember the post-Zeitgeist era as one where people spoke much about hte potential of the band, base on live performances. Unfortunately, American Gothic disappointed and Jimmy left the band not long after.

The Chris Isaak show as a good version of Owata with Jimmy, and I am happy for As Rome Burns to sound fucked up and simply going for energy. The other tracks can be found on If It All Goes Wrong.
This is the best As Rome Burn I can find:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4O1EmXQuIo

Old 03-11-2023, 10:10 AM   #19
Morlock
Ownz

Quote:
Jimmy is irrelevant to the quality of a song (see: Atum). Those 2 songs are inherently good regardless of whether he was on them or not.
True, Billy wrote good music without Jimmy, and poor music with him. I like Tom Tom. But Jimmy excels, while Mikey lacks the fludity I appreciate about the Pumpkins.

Old 03-11-2023, 10:13 AM   #20
djzap
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morlock View Post
You did a brilliant job, and thanks for even considering the idea. I am really not expecting you to put in the time just because some random guy suggested it on Netphoria, but I would filn an album like the one to be amazing. I remember the post-Zeitgeist era as one where people spoke much about hte potential of the band, base on live performances. Unfortunately, American Gothic disappointed and Jimmy left the band not long after.

The Chris Isaak show as a good version of Owata with Jimmy, and I am happy for As Rome Burns to sound fucked up and simply going for energy. The other tracks can be found on If It All Goes Wrong.
wow that is a really good version of As Rome Burns, I've never heard the keyboards so clearly and the vocals are pretty good, thanks for that! thanks for the other suggestions too, i will look into it

Old 03-11-2023, 11:41 AM   #21
phang
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morlock View Post
Nice.

Old 03-11-2023, 12:47 PM   #22
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

FOL is a pretty shit song and no remastering will fix that but thanx 4 ur efforts n e wayz

Old 03-12-2023, 11:58 AM   #23
djzap
Pledge

Working on a version of As Rome Burns and its sounding incredible. Will share soon.
Also updated my Gossamer and have been able to eliminate some sound quality issues in it, sounding a lot better now. Same arrangement.

Also going to see what I can do with this session: https://archive.org/details/tsp2007-...10.xm.t08.flac
its well recorded but seems to be in pretty low resolution so may not be able to do much

edit: going by this https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5a3dTGtY8pE there seems to be higher quality versions existing. does anyone here have them to share with me?

In a moment of madness I've ordered Chris Isaak Hour DVDs from eBay to get the highest quality audio I can of that session. Great versions on that of some songs that it would be great to remaster.

Last edited by djzap : 03-12-2023 at 12:12 PM.

Old 03-12-2023, 03:06 PM   #24
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
no.

Old 03-12-2023, 03:09 PM   #25
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Zeitgeist should have been the 5 best songs and a 30 minute version of Gossamer.

Old 03-12-2023, 03:12 PM   #26
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Working on a version of As Rome Burns and its sounding incredible. Will share soon.
Also updated my Gossamer and have been able to eliminate some sound quality issues in it, sounding a lot better now. Same arrangement.

Also going to see what I can do with this session: https://archive.org/details/tsp2007-...10.xm.t08.flac
its well recorded but seems to be in pretty low resolution so may not be able to do much

edit: going by this https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5a3dTGtY8pE there seems to be higher quality versions existing. does anyone here have them to share with me?

In a moment of madness I've ordered Chris Isaak Hour DVDs from eBay to get the highest quality audio I can of that session. Great versions on that of some songs that it would be great to remaster.
this is great. I felt 2008 new material was building up to be a fantastic record, then jimmy left and bill hired some berklee mcdonalds kid to replace his 20+ year musical partner.

I'd love to make a full comp of songs from that era. March Hare, Owatta, 99 floors, as rome burns, etc etc etc

Old 03-13-2023, 05:58 PM   #27
phang
Ownz

Quote:

You rock for doing all of this.

As much as Baldilocks keeps trying to destroy the bands history, it's great that there's people out there, like you, trying their best to preserve it.

Old 03-13-2023, 06:52 PM   #28
djzap
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by phang View Post
You rock for doing all of this.

As much as Baldilocks keeps trying to destroy the bands history, it's great that there's people out there, like you, trying their best to preserve it.
i admit it's actually a bit of a selfish endeavour, but i am glad to be able to share the results with other fans when i can! it does make it feel more worthwhile and like there is a point rather than 'why am i spending so much time working on someone else's album' haha

Old 03-14-2023, 12:39 AM   #29
LoveIsSuicide42
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
Zeitgeist should have been the 5 best songs and a 30 minute version of Gossamer.
United States
7 Shades of Black
Tarantula
Thats the Way
Neverlost
Gossamer
Stellar

Make flood the producer and this is a pretty audacious comeback record and not even that corny.

Last edited by LoveIsSuicide42 : 03-14-2023 at 01:13 AM.

Old 03-14-2023, 02:54 AM   #30
Morlock
Ownz

Tarantulla
That's the Way
Ma Belle
Stellar
Bring the Light
Gossamer