Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 05-15-2022, 04:22 PM   #61
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

This is a weird turn because someone asked him a question in interview.

Some of this shit is so old and weird to hold on to. His responsibility for the death of Jonathan? Just because two druggies shoot up in a room, one wakes up from their OD and the other doesn't, doesn't make the survivor responsible for the other person.

If he was responsible - he would have been prosecuted wouldn't he.

His company folded.

You watch a song like SuperChrist and conclude, yes, this is someone who is just cashing the cheque and/or somehow not up to shit

Flaunting a woke vibe ? What? In any interview he has, he's thankful for having the life he has. This isn't really woke is it.

"I was a drug user who needed rehab and now I am vegan" - That dude is a woke dick head... What on earth are you on about???

Fine, take the piss out of him being friends with a shaman or whatever and trying to be spiritual - but to hold it against him somehow, bit weird.

What would you have him say, 25 years on in every interview; I hate myself for being a heroin addict and fucking my life up and my friend dying and and here I am still wallowing in my sadness?

Don't know about the "in the know" sources. They correct about one thing - because he's said it himself, he wanted to play more of the hits at the anniversary tour.

Weird how the only song he has credit for is that Ivy jam off the new one, which is hardly noticeable for the drums - so that doesn't really stack up does it.

So fucking weird to project all this on to him tbh though. We see what, 5% of the guys life and we infer all this stuff. Just a bit odd to go back to all this.

He's the best drummer in the world, the best the band ever had -are any of them perfect human beings, no. Is he no. Does he claim to be. No.

They have both talked about the business of SP for years, Jimmy was essentially a tour manager type role at one point - so it's kinda boring to go over this, isn't it?

Can we please get back to bastardising Jeff's lack of personality and obnoxious playing. Thx.

Last edited by jimmy drevpile : 05-16-2022 at 06:17 PM.

Old 05-15-2022, 04:24 PM   #62
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. View Post
And what exactly is Jimmy supposed to do, cry about Melvoin in every interview for 25+ years? Would that be enough repentance for you guys?

Fucking weirdos
More succinctly put.

Old 05-15-2022, 04:30 PM   #63
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy drevpile View Post
This is a weird turn because someone asked him a question in interview.

Some of this shit is so old and weird to hold on to. His responsibility for the death of Jonathan? Just because two druggies shoot up in a room, one wakes up from their OD and the other doesn't, doesn't make the survivor responsible for the other person.

If he was responsible - he would have been prosecuted wouldn't he.

His company folded.

You watch a song like SuperChrist and conclude, yes, this is someone who is just cashing the cheque and/or somehow not up to shit

Flaunting a woke vibe ? What? In any interview he has, he's thankful for having the life he has. This isn't really woke is it.

I was a drug user who needed rehab and now I am vergan". That dude is a woke dick head. What on earth are you on about???

Fine, take the piss out of him being friends with a shaman or whatever and trying to be spiritual - but to hold it against him somehow, bit weird.

What would you have him say, 25 years on in every interview; I hate myself for being a heroin addict and fucking my life up and my friend dying and and here I am still wallowing in my sadness?

Don't know about the "in the know" sources. They correct about one thing - because he's said it himself, he wanted to play more of the hits at the anniversary tour.

Weird how the only song he has credit for is that Ivy jam off the new one, which is hardly noticeable for the drums - so that doesn't really stack up does it.

So fucking weird to project all this on to him tbh though. We see what, 5% of the guys life and we infer all this stuff. Just a bit odd to go back to all this.

He's the best drummer in the world, the best the band ever had -are any of them perfect human beings, no. Is he no. Does he claim to be. No.

They have both talked about the business of SP for years, Jimmy was essentially a tour manager type role at one point - so it's kinda boring to go over this, isn't it?

Can we please get back to bastardising Jeff's lack of personality and obnoxious playing. Thx.
If you ever speak to me in that tone again, I will rip your soul out of your body, face fuck it, and then burn the lies off of it.

In all seriousness, do you not see the irony of calling people out for being overly critical and projecting onto people we do not on this message board of all places? I mean, I saw you made a joke about Jeff, but seriously...

Also, your, "if he was responsible, he would have been prosecuted" view, although cute, is a very naive view of the criminal justice system. Also, if you read my post, I specifically said I thought Jimmy's heart was in the right place with his statements (particularly the one on the Chris Isaak show), but still came across as a little cavalier.

And yes, I completely forgot about the shaman. That was exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about. Easily something as strange as Billy would do, but he would have been relentlessly dunked on about it.

No one questioned Jimmy's talent on the kit or stated that he was checked out at any point, so I am not sure what you mean with those statements. If anything, I thought it was admirable he took a few years to step away when he was unhappy with a situation rather than keep making what was probably still decent money and being completely uninterested.

Where did he mention wanting to play more hits on the 20th Anniversary Tour in an interview? Just curious. Also, what does his company folding have to do with anything said in this thread? A lot of disconnected points you brought up. You sound a bit like Monte, but for Jimmy instead of Billy. Don't you have a blog you haven't updated in years where you can post about Jimmy without anyone bringing up opposing viewpoints?

Old 05-15-2022, 04:35 PM   #64
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

Wasn't just to you, the other person you were replying to and the others who have gone over this Melvoin stuff for years.

Sure it's my perspective on the dude. One reading or another of some guy we don't know and circumstances none of us fully aware of...

It's just boring to look for the worst, all the time.

Unless it's about Jeff, then it's fine

Old 05-15-2022, 04:42 PM   #65
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Again, you’re in the wrong place if you don’t want people looking for the worst in everything. It seems like what you meant is, it’s boring to look for the worst in Jimmy, as I’ve seen you make some pretty negative statements about other band members. It seemed like you spent more time on your old blog, for instance, talking about the worst of Mike than you did writing about Jimmy.

Also, there’s a reason people still talk about Jonathan Melvoin 25 years later. On a big picture level, it’s a pretty big deal and still fucked even if Jimmy got clean later and has lived a healthy life since. Looking just as a band level, just about everyone points to the incident being what resulted in the band essentially disintegrating in a way that was not fully resolved until a few years back. You are a correct that in a legal sense, he did not cause Melvoin’s death, but his actions certainly contributed in a large way.

Despite my joking and being critical, I say all this as someone who thinks you are a cool poster and are able to keep a somewhat objective view of the band; calling them out on bullshit while giving them credit for the good things. It does seem like, in this instance however, you’re applying a bit of a double standard to Jimmy.

Old 05-15-2022, 04:51 PM   #66
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
Again, you’re in the wrong place if you don’t want people looking for the worst in everything. It seems like what you meant is, it’s boring to look for the worst in Jimmy, as I’ve seen you make some pretty negative statements about other bad members. It seemed like you spent more time on your old blog, for instance, talking about the worst of Mike than you did writing about Jimmy.

Also, there’s a reason people still talk about Jonathan Melvoin 25 years later. On a big picture level, it’s a pretty big deal and still fucked even if Jimmy got clean later and has loved a healthy life since. Looking just as a band level, just about everyone points to the incident being what resulted in the band essentially disintegrating in a way that was not fully resolved until a few years back.
Seems what I meant to say? Come on now friend. And my blog! haha! Oh dear, we are going full on living in the past I see! ha! Most of my time writing about Mike? I remember one post in a couple of hundred. But whatever. I would probably cringe at most of that, a bit like i'm doing now.

(Edit: My "negativity" about Mike was not about his character or personal circumstances, it was about his shit playing and style (or lack of). Like Jeff, I don't actually care or know who Jeff is - when I talk about personality and playing, I mean he plays like he has no personality...) x

Last edited by jimmy drevpile : 05-15-2022 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Mike and Jeff

Old 05-15-2022, 05:12 PM   #67
CherryRay
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
I thought the same thing.

He looks like an absolute fucking tool with that gigantic Mike Portnoy kit. Playing Today. Fucking lol. The pumpkins also recently hosted Michael Angelo batio onstage. Is any of this real? Is this the part of the realistic dream where it suddenly goes haywire and then we all wake up?

I'm also getting strong vibes like he got his management to ask for tv closeups while playing, and to be addressed specifically during band interviews.

I must say, that flexy drumset, along with that recent pic of him standing awfully puffy chested next to a Porsche, kind of sum up well what I've come to strongly dislike about him in recent years.

People routinely rip on Corgan, but nobody ever mentions what a huge douche JC's evolved into. People forgot "burn the lies off the souls" is a jimmy quote! Up to 2000 he used to have this beautiful diamond in the rough quality about him, an extremely shy and humble personality, who's completely comfortable being in the background, but really excelling gloriously at that. That's also what made him such a phenomenal player, that it never seemed like he was forcing his prowess on the music, it's just what came naturally.

Ppl may say I'm tripping or hatin' or whatever, but Zeitgeist was a turning point for him in that he first assumed the role of a co-bandleader and started demanding star billing status, a Ulrich/Hetfield-esque figure. Someone now responsible for steering the core vision of the band. Two more hands on the wheel, fighting for the reigns. His ego became huge.

With his company being very successful\profitable, and SP becoming this source of revenue, and the way he's been playing (may be technically good as ever, he's a fantastic musician - but it's clear his heart is not in it), I can't help but feel that it's all become The Jimmy Chamberlin show to him, a rags to riches success story, phoenix from the ashes, etc.

That alone normally wouldn't bother me at all, it's pretty textbook rockstar behavior, but the way he'd been flaunting this sort of enlightened and woke+blessed vibe, while never really having acknowledged his responsibility for the death of a person who would not be dead if not for him, rubs me the wrong way.

Afaik he never talked publicly about it, never dealt with any of it, never offered any insight or apology for the consequences of his actions, all despite making a very conscious effort to increase his visibility nonetheless. Love his musicianship, but I can't respect that.
I agree, Jimmy's gotten annoyingly cocky/smug over the past few years now he's lost weight and toned up, and might be a warning sign he's slipping back into a 'rock star' mode.

Very disappointing, since even during his worst excesses he was an amazingly inventive drummer, even on simple songs.

But since Zeitgeist (and possibly on Zeitgeist) his drumming has just become a cliché of his old style.
It's not that he's a worse drummer, the solo projects have shown he's improved his technical ability. But at the detriment of sounding too clinical and boring.

That big kit though is probably just to push the point to older casual fans they're back to rock.

Last edited by CherryRay : 05-15-2022 at 05:17 PM.

Old 05-15-2022, 06:44 PM   #68
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
I'd actually say that when it comes to "we're building a brand" type statements, Jimmy has been the worst offender. I think because of his relative quietness, people assume he's in it more "for the music,"
i still feel like that's a big distinction between him and billy. JC talks in depth about music and playing in interviews, does small jazz gigs, clinics, etc

Corgan always seems to present away from that, talking more about the media, fans, the culture, shit like that.

that may be partially a frontman vs drummer thing as well tho

Old 05-15-2022, 08:29 PM   #69
Spaceboy88
Apocalyptic Poster

You MFers keep the Jimmy slander out of your damn mouths. Last thing we need his him reading this, deciding he’s over it, and we have another Mike Byrne situation. They’re finally starting to sounds like the band we want them to sound like so Jimmy can be as aloof or cocky as he wants.

Will we ever learn???

Old 05-15-2022, 09:19 PM   #70
srt4b
Apocalyptic Poster

this thread sucks

Old 05-15-2022, 10:12 PM   #71
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Have no issues with Jimmy. Yeah he talks like a motivational speaker now. But probably just a result of being a recovering drug addict who got into all that new age rich guy shaman mumbo jumbo. Let’s just get back to talking about how Jeff sucks. Like seriously why is this fuckin guy in the band? Let’s break it down into terms Billy can understand better.

You’re giving money to this guy for no reason. He contributes nothing of musical value whatsoever. Trim the fat and the bands payroll.

Old 05-15-2022, 10:17 PM   #72
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceboy88 View Post
You MFers keep the Jimmy slander out of your damn mouths.

Old 05-16-2022, 05:12 AM   #73
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Where did Jeff even come from? I've forgotten. Was there an open call for a new guitarist? Had he been in some other band before and Billy saw him play? How did it happen that he became a full time Pumpkin?

Old 05-16-2022, 05:25 AM   #74
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
I didn’t know Billy [Corgan] or Jimmy [Chamberlin] prior to finding out that they were looking for new musicians to play with. Before I found out about this opportunity, I’d never tried out for a band. I’ve only played in my own bands, so I don’t really know how to relate to other people’s experiences.

A friend of mine told me they were looking for a guitar player and said I should audition for the band, because he thought I would be perfect for the job. I put together a simple package and emailed it off to management. A few days later, I got a call from Jimmy and we started the process. We played and hung out for a couple of months, just getting to know each other. It wasn’t until four or five months later that they told me I had the job; that was four years ago.
He had played with The Violet Burning

Old 05-16-2022, 07:27 AM   #75
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Jimmy, what's the difference between touring now and touring then

"I don't get absolutely, completely f***ed on heroin anymore and we've errr..haha we've not had any keyboard players die of heroin overdoses recently and uhmmm that's a GOOD thing! also I play to a click so everything's you know.. predictable. we don't actually play or jam together often.. at all so that helps keep us sounding tight. and it's easier for me, you know? In the easier songs I can check my stock & shares or even Zoom with my life coach."

Old 05-16-2022, 07:35 AM   #76
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

As anyone who has ever sat behind a drum kit will know, it's pretty difficult to "phone in" a performance, especially playing the kind of stuff Jimmy plays.

Old 05-16-2022, 07:39 AM   #77
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
He had played with The Violet Burning
You mean I could've emailed my simple package and gotten a call from Jimmy? Why hadn't anyone told me about this opportunity?

Anyway. I get having a third guitarist is beneficial live, and plenty of bands have touring guitarists. But Jeff should just be a touring guitarist now that James is back. He shouldn't be in the pictures. Or leaving his feckin hand print in concrete.

Just like Jack. Simple Jack. I've nothing against Jack personally, he's doing his job and staying in the background. It' s just a shame he has no personality. Having someone like MADM in the bass role would've been great.

Old 05-16-2022, 07:51 AM   #78
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Billy would be a prick of he did that to Jeff. He's on the band since 2006, was the only remaining member supporting Billy thru the years, and now that James is back bye bye?

I'd rather have someone like Nicole on the bass. Her tone was very close to Darcy, however she was a better bass player. Her bvs were also good, Ginger's mic was always too loud.

Old 05-16-2022, 08:28 AM   #79
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

damn you ginger your mic was always too loud why did you do this ginger goddammit

Old 05-16-2022, 09:03 AM   #80
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

She was trying to do Billy a favour

Old 05-16-2022, 10:12 AM   #81
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
Billy would be a prick of he did that to Jeff. He's on the band since 2006, was the only remaining member supporting Billy thru the years, and now that James is back bye bye?
There's that and making the ~official lineup~ the 3 original members would be an extremely Living In The Past thing to do.

Old 05-16-2022, 10:22 AM   #82
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryRay View Post
I agree, Jimmy's gotten annoyingly cocky/smug over the past few years now he's lost weight and toned up
I love this so much

Jimmy's taking care of himself these days and I don't like it one fucking bit

He bang drums good when he a fatty on horse so healthy Jommy = bad Jummy for me, bad for everyone

I think the first time I ran into this entitled fan attitude was when Tori Amos had a kid and everyone was like "She's happy! This is going to ruin her music! I hope the baby dies and we get a double album about it!"

Fuck you

Old 05-16-2022, 12:09 PM   #83
CherryRay
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
I love this so much

Jimmy's taking care of himself these days and I don't like it one fucking bit

He bang drums good when he a fatty on horse so healthy Jommy = bad Jummy for me, bad for everyone

I think the first time I ran into this entitled fan attitude was when Tori Amos had a kid and everyone was like "She's happy! This is going to ruin her music! I hope the baby dies and we get a double album about it!"

Fuck you
🤣
In my experience people getting cocky about sobriety can lead to them getting careless and falling off the wagon.
So I was expressing concern that he might become unhealthy again, not wishing for that to happen.

His drumming was a separate issue, saying that while he's technically a better drummer than he used to be, he hasn't been as creative, or maybe hasn't been allowed to be as creative as he used to be.

Old 05-16-2022, 01:15 PM   #84
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post
Where did Jeff even come from? I've forgotten. Was there an open call for a new guitarist? Had he been in some other band before and Billy saw him play? How did it happen that he became a full time Pumpkin?
Basically he got lucky cause he lives in LA and knew somebody who got him an audition. The band he was in before was really third rate Christian shoegaze.

Old 05-16-2022, 01:20 PM   #85
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post
But Jeff should just be a touring guitarist now that James is back. He shouldn't be in the pictures. Or leaving his feckin hand print in concrete.
This. The only reason they got to do that ceremony thing was because of the shit they accomplished in the first run of the band. Fuckin Oceania was certainly not a contributing factor. Lol. He has no business being in pics and certainly had no right to put his handprints in concrete for his shitty generic shred wank.

Old 05-16-2022, 01:44 PM   #86
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Bit weird to be talking about Jimmys sobriety or cockiness blah blah. We see tiny glimpses of his life and a lot of them are obviously scripted, rehearsed or aimed at VCs.

Old 05-16-2022, 01:48 PM   #87
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

people having time to even say anything negative about Jimmy must means BC's been killing it in interviews these days

or maybe some of y'all have too much time for Pumpkins related "nitpicks" currently

Last edited by Joey Goldberg : 05-16-2022 at 01:59 PM. Reason: to edit the post

Old 05-16-2022, 01:54 PM   #88
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

This guy thinks Jimmy is cocky for never doing a tearful “I regret everything and am sorry for existing” interview with Zane Lowe

Old 05-16-2022, 02:47 PM   #89
Spaceboy88
Apocalyptic Poster

Snoop Dogg literally murdered someone and he's doing Super Bowl Halftime shows and Corona commercials. Jimmy has shown more remorse for things he did as a drugged-out junkie than Snoop has ever shown.

Old 05-16-2022, 03:37 PM   #90
CherryRay
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubator View Post
This guy thinks Jimmy is cocky for never doing a tearful “I regret everything and am sorry for existing” interview with Zane Lowe
If he's a spiritual person with a guru and all, you would think a level of humility would be a part of that, regardless of the Melvion incident.