Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 04:10 PM   #1
he/she/it
Ownz

Default Anyone have insight into how Billy's solo G was mixed?

A wonderin regarding how the EQ was laid out to hone in on his signature slippery smooth soloing sound from 92 - 96, analyzing for a general mode of approach. There seems to be a sizeable mid-cut between the highs and lows, which makes scale ascending or descending more intense, as the mids duck behind the mix momentary because coming searing out on either end. But I don't know what values and gradients are used, and twiddling in Cubase isn't hitting upon something I find very similar too easily. But he worked the same design habitually, so he must have pinpointed specs to get that certain windy presentation out of it.

I know there are some more skilled recorders/mixers/sexy bitches here who might have insight into what work has gone into attaining the slick and dynamic tonal presentation that he wielded and put to use so effectively.

If anyone with studio, home or professional establishment, wants to hear clips of what I'm happening upon for tonal critique, I'd upload something. I actually can upload some things now, if they're still hosted where they were uploaded centuries ago, I'll take a look.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:57 PM   #2
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Hmm, I know a netphorian was really working hard to replicate that specific sound, so he might know, I suggest to PM them. I thought he did a good job, but it was through youtube, so take that into consideration.

I can't recall who it was... either paranoid, spguitar or sppunk... Either they'll be by or search the archives. It would have been two years ago possibly.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
he/she/it
Ownz

3rd, the poopsmith

Here are some clips. These are all excerpts from larger pieces, but they present soloing and whatnot. Want to improve the tonal quality of the sound on there.

http://www.tonefinder.com/index.php?...id&value=14071 - This one is intended to have a synth take on the solo. I personally really like it.
http://tonefinder.com/files/83-330%20am.mp3 - this one is imrpove solo based on a riff adapted from geek usa, sorta. I think the tones complement each other well here, but no eqing or guitar layers were involved.
http://tonefinder.com/files/34-working%20on%203.mp3 This song, not sure if it's the full tune or not, but is heavily emotional imo, and the solo slays, also imo. However, it was recorded with a JVM 410h, which doesn't create the sound that I was for these recordings. Still the solo is awesome to listen to, for me.
http://tonefinder.com/files/31-Mezo.mp3 - this is another improv solo, but I feel hits hard over the strumming.
http://tonefinder.com/files/67-Snowfall%20drums.mp3 - keyboard work. I was most obsessed with making the drums sound poignant than the guitar work
http://tonefinder.com/files/1-S500%20SideA.mp3 - random amp settings test, where the guitar was sounding pretty solid
http://tonefinder.com/files/90-S500%20SideB.mp3 - same thing, moments later, with a few tweaked parameters.

Last edited by he/she/it : 01-17-2013 at 05:15 PM.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
emilem
Demi-God

i think you need a billy corgan for that. and a real studio.

and this is not a joke, the way he bends and taps really changes the sounds of everything, eq aside.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:46 PM   #5
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

What are you playing through? What are you micing tit with?

Old 01-17-2013, 10:08 PM   #6
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniclovenoize View Post
I can't recall who it was... either paranoid, spguitar or sppunk... Either they'll be by or search the archives. It would have been two years ago possibly.
I think it was spguitar. I PM'd him a few times a while ago, haven't heard from him.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:34 AM   #8
Grox
Apocalyptic Poster

his solo tones are really nasally too. like here is no why, x.y.u., fuck you

Old 01-18-2013, 02:04 AM   #9
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Wasn't me.

But I'd argue that 90% of guitar tone is in the guitarists fingers and in their specific touch. So trying to replicate this sound to a tea is pretty damn near impossible. Good luck!

Old 01-18-2013, 02:13 AM   #10
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
So trying to replicate this sound to a tea
monteism

Old 01-18-2013, 10:37 AM   #11
brendo_91
Minion of Satan

here is no why, starla and a few other tracks have the electro harmonix micro synth across them. the end of uh... rocket i think has micro synth as well. just the very last few seconds of that one.

there's a lot of subtle phaser and stuff going on for a lot of his leads usually, but not so much for the faster stuff like geek.

more to the point why the fuck are you trying to 'twiddle in cubase' to create this sound. its in the fingers, the pick attack, the guitar, the stuff before the amp, the amp itself. dont polish turds, get it right in the fucking first place.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:43 AM   #12
brendo_91
Minion of Satan

oh and you included 1992 in your list, which is pre-SD so that means gish.

neck pickup on a strat -> ADA MP1 -> JCM 800.

gish is all MP1, the whole album just screams it. that really 'grainy' gain, with a large white noise kind of component in it. those preamps are cheap and are one of the easiest ways into a really convincing 'pumpkins' tone if you're not picky what era. i've had mine 3 tube modded and it stands up with the big boys now, it's heavy enough to pull off modern metal and then some.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:02 PM   #13
Grox
Apocalyptic Poster

don't forget the quadraverb

Old 01-22-2013, 02:27 AM   #14
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Johnny View Post
monteism
I'm blaming auto correct.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:39 PM   #15