Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2022, 10:21 AM   #151
ourruseoffools
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
Why is Jimmy's playing so fucking metronomic and boring. ZERO excitement. ZERO engagement. Might as well have recorded his drum part practicing to a click. He literally sounds exactly like a gazillion studio drummers now. It sucks. I hate it. What the fuck happened to you, man
idk he probably heard the song and was like "i have absolutely no idea how to make this sound good" so he just played a little something and went home to his wife and kids

listen to his latest jazz record, the dude is just as good as he's always been... listen to how 'with sympathy' is the best song theyve released since zwan, he gets a cowrite

Old 09-20-2022, 10:22 AM   #152
ourruseoffools
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourruseoffools View Post
idk he probably heard the song and was like "i have absolutely no idea how to make this sound good" so he just played a little something and went home to his wife and kids
the difference between him and james is they both do the same thing in the studio but jimmy will double down and defend it and pretend like he cares about it to please the boss

Old 09-20-2022, 10:30 AM   #153
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

As a songwriter and guitar-part composer himself, I wonder what input James had into all this. Was he sent rough mixes and told "add something on that" and did all he add stay in the final mix?

Was Jeff in the studio?

How many songs will be Billy solo? Either with a synth or an acoustic guitar. I'd say there'll be at least one Cotillions-style solo song.

With those two long tracks on disc 3, I'm not sure there was ever a situation where they were in the studio to jam, so they may not be classic SP epics.

Old 09-20-2022, 10:32 AM   #154
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Watched the video last night on my phone and was not impressed, but having actually listened to the song on headphones now, it was definitely better than I first believed. I wish he'd try and vary the guitar tone from that "Solara" sound. It absolutely crushes the dynamics of anything else, but all-in-all not half bad. The main riff itself actually works pretty well. It is about what I would expect from a "rock" record from Smashing Pumpkins in 2022: nothing more, nothing less.

Video was a bit silly, but seems to be in good fun. We did get to see Jack Bates rocking the fuck out, so that made it worthwhile.

Old 09-20-2022, 10:34 AM   #155
ourruseoffools
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post
I wonder what input James had into all this. Was he sent rough mixes and told "add something on that" and did all he add stay in the final mix?
precisely that, im sure billy made all the final calls as he is credited as producer

Old 09-20-2022, 11:06 AM   #156
SomaPhreak
Ownz

Post Fuck this shit

Horrible first single. No energy at all. Solara's good compared to this. Even Cyr is better than this. Just depressing.

Old 09-20-2022, 11:07 AM   #157
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
As a songwriter and guitar-part composer himself, I wonder what input James had into all this. Was he sent rough mixes and told "add something on that" and did all he add stay in the final mix?

Was Jeff in the studio?

How many songs will be Billy solo? Either with a synth or an acoustic guitar. I'd say there'll be at least one Cotillions-style solo song.

With those two long tracks on disc 3, I'm not sure there was ever a situation where they were in the studio to jam, so they may not be classic SP epics.
i have all these questions

WHY WHY WHY are they not jamming songs like a normal fucking band does

and yeah JC's parts on all the new SP stuff sound completely dull. just a sampled half-open hihat and 'rock snare 5' playing the most dull straight ahead beat you've ever heard

i guess he's kinda doubling the guitar during a few little bits but it's just dull plodding slushy hihats all song

Old 09-20-2022, 11:19 AM   #158
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

well it certainly makes CYR sound a bit better

i gotta hand it to Corgan, everyone's so hung up on "destroying tha legacy!!!!" but in reality this bullshit just kinda levitates the OG stuff even more

now all of you, stfu & go to your local record store or venue or whatever the hell & find bands that are, you know, actually doing these things you want this band of merry & married 50+s to churn out when they clearly are not "about it"

Old 09-20-2022, 11:21 AM   #159
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Goldberg View Post
well it certainly makes CYR sound a bit better

i gotta hand it to Corgan, everyone's so hung up on "destroying tha legacy!!!!" but in reality this bullshit just kinda levitates the OG stuff even more

now all of you, stfu & go to your local record store or venue or whatever the hell & find bands that are, you know, actually doing these things you want this band of merry & married 50+s to churn out when they clearly are not "about it"

See I’ve never heard a band like SP1, that’s the problem.

Old 09-20-2022, 11:24 AM   #160
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Of all the 90s bands that either came back, or never went away but kept making records, there's only one band that released new music as good as, if not better than, their original run.

And that band is RIDE.

Old 09-20-2022, 11:29 AM   #161
dustrocck
Demi-God

Quote:
IIRC, there were times when Billy and Jimmy were in the studio together, at least for rough tracks and then laying down the drum tracks, but James and James Jr. just worked on the parts remotely, as far as I know.

And it shows.

I agree listening on headphones it's improved somewhat, there is a quick little riff at one point that was fun.

But overall, so uninspired. Even James' whammy solo just seems pasted over top.

So funny thinking back to those Guitar World columns Billy did where he talked about the dynamics of a song. Now everything is chug-chug-chuggy-chug-chug

Old 09-20-2022, 11:34 AM   #162
ourruseoffools
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Of all the 90s bands that either came back, or never went away but kept making records, there's only one band that released new music as good as, if not better than, their original run.

And that band is RIDE.

Old 09-20-2022, 11:35 AM   #163
jalora
Pledge

The riff sounds like something I'd have written trying to ape Iron Maiden at 13. I do like the bridge, though.

Old 09-20-2022, 11:48 AM   #164
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Wasn't there someone else on here using that same racist avatar image (probably from the Frogs; it didn't age well)? Why recycle it?

I am looking forward to actually being able to conceive of a 2nd SP best of disc for 2007 and beyond. Not sure I would ever listen to it though.

Old 09-20-2022, 11:54 AM   #165
Spaceboy88
Apocalyptic Poster

I genuinely wonder how many of you are just so jaded that there's literally nothing that they can release that you'd like.

I'm just as jaded as the next guy, but I truly think "Beguiled" is a strong song for them. It goes back to the rock roots instead of this Shiny/Cyr synth shit and has some great guitar licks. If Billy's vocals were buried a bit more in the mix and the production was a bit more muddy, you could sell this off as a song that was written 15 years ago. On streaming, it sounds a lot better than the TikTok rip from last night. I also bet they will slay this song live.

This song gives me hope that there will be some great tracks on ATUM. It will never be another Gish/SD/MCIS, and Billy's doing no favors for himself by bringing them up so much in comparison here, but all this negativity from a song that could have been so much worse leads me to believe that the only way you'll like anything is if it's an unearthed song recorded pre-2000.

Old 09-20-2022, 11:58 AM   #166
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceboy88 View Post
I genuinely wonder how many of you are just so jaded that there's literally nothing that they can release that you'd like.

I'm just as jaded as the next guy, but I truly think "Beguiled" is a strong song for them. It goes back to the rock roots instead of this Shiny/Cyr synth shit and has some great guitar licks. If Billy's vocals were buried a bit more in the mix and the production was a bit more muddy, you could sell this off as a song that was written 15 years ago. On streaming, it sounds a lot better than the TikTok rip from last night. I also bet they will slay this song live.

This song gives me hope that there will be some great tracks on ATUM. It will never be another Gish/SD/MCIS, and Billy's doing no favors for himself by bringing them up so much in comparison here, but all this negativity from a song that could have been so much worse leads me to believe that the only way you'll like anything is if it's an unearthed song recorded pre-2000.
It is true that I for one might be too jaded to appreciate his new music and enjoy trashing it more than listening to it. This being said, for the last 15 years there have always been a few tracks that I liked from each release/era (Color of your love, One and All, Ghosts, Starz, etc.). I just think that this SP5 or whatever this is is a missed opportunity for some jams. Maybe there will be something on the album. Also, I totally hate the narcissistic turn in the post-2016 reunion SP imagery and presentation. We get it bill, we get it. Please stop.

Old 09-20-2022, 12:04 PM   #167
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:

I would really like to listen to a new song where Jimmy actually sounds like Jimmy.

Old 09-20-2022, 12:18 PM   #168
inkless
Ownz

19K view 1.2k like youtube ( no video version)

Old 09-20-2022, 12:21 PM   #169
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
I would really like to listen to a new song where Jimmy actually sounds like Jimmy.
Atum

Old 09-20-2022, 12:23 PM   #170
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:

I like it. Between the three tracks I'm definitely optimistic that the album will have some great stuff on it. I like Atum a lot and this is fine.

Old 09-20-2022, 12:24 PM   #171
Spaceboy88
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
For the most part, Jimmy's best "Jimmy moments" weren't on album singles. One of the holy grail Jimmy songs is "Geek USA" and while it's one of my all time fav SP songs, it would've been a horrible single.

I'm trying to be optimistic that in 33 songs there will be a few moments that let Jimmy shine. Maybe they'll even surprise us and throw a few James vocal songs on there too.

Old 09-20-2022, 12:28 PM   #172
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

James vocals? What is this 1995?

Old 09-20-2022, 12:29 PM   #173
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Old 09-20-2022, 12:31 PM   #174
ourruseoffools
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Maybe they'll even surprise us and throw a few James vocal songs on there too.
this is the only chance of something being above average here

Old 09-20-2022, 12:36 PM   #175
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

So was the TikTok video last night the filming? The lighting on this looks completely different.

Old 09-20-2022, 12:37 PM   #176
inkless
Ownz

can the children file a complaint?

Old 09-20-2022, 12:39 PM   #177
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Return the faith - in SP?

Honestly, this sounds like wrestling promo music.

Old 09-20-2022, 12:40 PM   #178
dustrocck
Demi-God

Quote:

Every song he writes seems to just stay at the same tempo throughout, and the melodies are uninspired.

I think if this came directly after Shiny I'd probably rate it a bit higher, there's more to it than say, Solara, but Shiny and Cyr back to back was so horrid I really needed something spectacular to clear my palate.

Old 09-20-2022, 12:47 PM   #179
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Man I loved it to be quite honest and I’m a certified hater. It’s got that big chorus, lots of swagger, and seems to be something other than just a basic 3 minute pop song like all of Cyr. Also the vocals are a bit down in the mix actually?

Old 09-20-2022, 12:50 PM   #180
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Better than most things in the past 10 years. Still not good. But much better. I can also see this actually getting played on the radio.

I listened to it stoned last night and hated it, but today it seems better. Usually the opposite is true of truly good music.