Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2024, 08:26 PM   #91
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996-04-07
BC: Thank you so much. We'd like to play one more song for you. We're just beginning our tour of Germany so uh, to those of you in TV land, we'll see you soon.
Iha: Where we appear on our new sitcom, The Smashing Pumpkins and their Crazy Apartment. We'd like to thank the dancing man.
BC: That's the naked man's cousin...Heinz, heh.
Iha: He's another great friend of ours and we bring him on every tour we can. He follows the [unintelligible word] man.
D’arcy: Give him a good hand, we paid him a lot of money.
BC: Yeah, but the insurance when those big wrestler guys tackle him, that's tough.
Iha: That's part of the act as well, don't worry, he's not hurt, he's just - that's part of the show.
BC: How's it go, uh...Deutschland? Deutschland? Yeah? What happened to Rudi, the striker on the World Cup team, that's what I wanna know. Rudi? I saw Rudi in Chicago, he was no good, he - he couldn't kick anymore. I was at the World Cup. Rudi, he couldn't - I saw him, I'm sorry.
Iha: Alright, well, we'll just play another song.
D’arcy: We don't know this man.
BC: He has an afro. He's Rudi. Right? Alright. I'm not crazy. We dedicate this song to Rudi the striker.
X.Y.U.
earliest mention in the live catalog

Old 05-18-2024, 08:39 PM   #92
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Watched the first two episodes. If anything it’s a bad commercial for NWA. The low turnouts and empty civic centers are pretty sad and embarrassing. He needs to come to his senses and sell this money pit. Wrestling is culturally irrelevant. Maybe in the seventies and eighties when there was fuck all on TV. But society has evolved past the need for it to exist.

Old 05-19-2024, 04:32 AM   #93
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

Bill wants a slice of the pie though: https://corporate.wwe.com/investors/...2023-120046149

To be honest i've watched 4 episodes and I find it sadly endearing to be honest. It something that he loves and wants to do well, but isn't...

Old 05-19-2024, 07:32 AM   #94
phang
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
curious-- when was it first known amongst the fanbase that billy was a wrestling fan?
He had an appearance in ECW back in 1999, doing a "song for ECW", getting interrupted by Lou E. Dangerously, and then smashing his guitar over Lou's head. That was pretty cool.

That's the earliest Corgan wrestling crossover I can think of.

Old 05-19-2024, 07:38 AM   #95
phang
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
Watched the first two episodes. If anything itís a bad commercial for NWA. The low turnouts and empty civic centers are pretty sad and embarrassing. He needs to come to his senses and sell this money pit. Wrestling is culturally irrelevant. Maybe in the seventies and eighties when there was fuck all on TV. But society has evolved past the need for it to exist.
I think he genuinely loves wrestling and wants to make a real success of this, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's hoping for a buy out from a richer investor.

Old 05-19-2024, 02:44 PM   #96
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Thumbs up

"No one in my life cares about professional wrestling..."

https://youtube.com/shorts/IHhjvse_H...g3LkpYDWGDu4U6

Old 05-19-2024, 05:40 PM   #97
RenewRevive
Minion of Satan

Quote:
just watched all of it. insanely boring. this show did absolutely nothing to help gage my interest in wrestling, the wrestlers themselves, or even understand wtf it's all about.
Assuming you're older than about 15 there's no good reason for anyone to want to learn anything about wrestling, unless someone is paying you handsomely to do so

Quote:
also ATUM songs sprinkled all over the soundtrack and now I can't hear any of these songs without imagining some cheesy wrestling bit.
I can't imagine the wrestling visuals would make the songs any worse

Quote:
curious- when was it first known amongst the fanbase that billy was a wrestling fan?
I wish I could help you, but I've subconsciously blanked the whole episode out

Old 05-19-2024, 05:44 PM   #98
RenewRevive
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy drevpile View Post
Bill wants a slice of the pie though: https://corporate.wwe.com/investors/...2023-120046149

To be honest i've watched 4 episodes and I find it sadly endearing to be honest. It something that he loves and wants to do well, but isn't...
Kinda like SP then? Except he obviously is more interested in the wrasslin'

Old 05-20-2024, 01:17 AM   #99
paranoid
Minion of Satan

If I were to offer a fair criticism of the show it would be that Billy still has the wall up as far as his personal life goes. Which is fine, but was expecting more with it being labeled a reality show.

I guess I was expecting a bit more about him as a family man, husband to be, etc. I'd like to hear his vows, what they said to each other, not just small snippets.. same with jimmy's speech.. a small snippet then a narration about what it was like, simplified.

But yeah, that part of it is an after thought. They either couldn't decide what they wanted to make the show about, or they were having difficulty finding a good plot line with the wrestlers so it all got sort of slopped together. Maybe it's not the best thing for the NWA to have a known celebrity running the show? I don't know. I learned nothing from it and was not on the edge of my seat to see the next episode.

That wedding was pretty ritzy, though.

Old 05-20-2024, 02:31 PM   #100
phang
Ownz

Quote:
Maybe it's not the best thing for the NWA to have a known celebrity running the show? I don't know.
I'd wager that the NWA, for what it's worth, wouldn't be around today if Billy hadn't bought it from Bruce Tharpe. It was almost dead by the late 00s after they split from TNA. Tharpe was trying to sell the NWA "licencing" of brand and belts in the mid 2010s, but long story short, was getting nowhere. It probably would have folded.

I'm honestly surprised WWE didn't pick it up in order to absorb their tape libraries, but truth be told, it was such a non-entity that they probably didn't care about it.

(I haven't watched it, they might have covered this in the show maybe, but I'd assume some creative revisionism from Billy would have occurred)

Old 05-21-2024, 01:54 AM   #101
Green Eyes
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by phang View Post
I'd wager that the NWA, for what it's worth, wouldn't be around today if Billy hadn't bought it from Bruce Tharpe. It was almost dead by the late 00s after they split from TNA. Tharpe was trying to sell the NWA "licencing" of brand and belts in the mid 2010s, but long story short, was getting nowhere. It probably would have folded.

I'm honestly surprised WWE didn't pick it up in order to absorb their tape libraries, but truth be told, it was such a non-entity that they probably didn't care about it.

(I haven't watched it, they might have covered this in the show maybe, but I'd assume some creative revisionism from Billy would have occurred)
Shut up Billy

Old 05-21-2024, 08:29 AM   #102
RenewRevive
Minion of Satan

Talking

So, how much do we think the Billster has sunk into this thing? $400? More?

Old 05-22-2024, 04:44 AM   #103
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Maybe the show is a way of putting NWA on the market as such, to try and get it better known or picked up by a bigger league.

But yes no one cares about wrestling. Look how big MMA is these days, people want "real" fighting and something a bit bloodier.

Old 05-22-2024, 01:19 PM   #104
RenewRevive
Minion of Satan

Yeah, maybe so, though I think Billy is genuinely into all this stuff, so who knows? I mean, if it's not costing him a lot, fine but if he gets into a hole financially he'll be forced to drag the bloodied carcass that is SP on innumerable world tours into the distant future

Old 05-22-2024, 03:55 PM   #105
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenewRevive View Post
…he'll be forced to drag the bloodied carcass that is SP on innumerable world tours into the distant future
See 2018-Present

Which when you think about it is kinda sad that SP stopped pushing itself as a live act. Say what you will about 2007-2013, but it seemed like Billy was still willing to take risks live. The return of Jimmy and James seemed to be more about legitimizing the band in the eyes of the public so they could do these big greatest hits world tours and make bank.

Old 05-22-2024, 04:47 PM   #106
Ram27
dumb

how much more does it pay doing the timed-to-minute shows? wouldn't you have to have a bigger crew and more logistics etc

i mean presumably worth it but also the shows are far worse to look at and hear because they're achingly sterile now. and you're playing to 20k hooting 1979 chuds vs 2k people that presumably like most of the music

Old 05-22-2024, 09:04 PM   #107
bright_doom
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
curious-- when was it first known amongst the fanbase that billy was a wrestling fan?
This was the first time I became aware of it, 2009.

https://twitter.com/billycorgandoll

https://twitter.com/robertsmithdoll

https://pitchfork.com/news/36903-bil...oll-wrestling/

Last edited by bright_doom : 05-22-2024 at 09:11 PM.

Old 05-23-2024, 09:42 AM   #108
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by phang View Post
He had an appearance in ECW back in 1999, doing a "song for ECW", getting interrupted by Lou E. Dangerously, and then smashing his guitar over Lou's head. That was pretty cool.

That's the earliest Corgan wrestling crossover I can think of.

Old 05-23-2024, 01:08 PM   #109
RenewRevive
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
See 2018-Present

Which when you think about it is kinda sad that SP stopped pushing itself as a live act. Say what you will about 2007-2013, but it seemed like Billy was still willing to take risks live. The return of Jimmy and James seemed to be more about legitimizing the band in the eyes of the public so they could do these big greatest hits world tours and make bank.
True. Billy had a lot of nerve taking that shot at Soundgarden, calling them sell-outs and a self-tribute act. Those comments aged badly. particularly as King Animal was actually a pretty solid record and not too far in quality to where they'd left off in 1997. A lot closer than Zeitgeist was to Machina, after only a 7-year break.

Old 05-24-2024, 07:02 AM   #110
This is a username crisis.
Apocalyptic Poster

I fucking hate wrestling and that probably just makes him want to buy another league to double down on the haters.

Old 05-24-2024, 07:59 AM   #111
Machinist
Ownz

Great. Corgan just read your comment and now we are getting a wrestling concept album. Fuck sake.

Old 05-27-2024, 01:14 AM   #112
Morlock
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenewRevive View Post
True. Billy had a lot of nerve taking that shot at Soundgarden, calling them sell-outs and a self-tribute act. Those comments aged badly. particularly as King Animal was actually a pretty solid record and not too far in quality to where they'd left off in 1997. A lot closer than Zeitgeist was to Machina, after only a 7-year break.

I agree, even though I could enjoy both.

I wish King Animal could be remastered to a loudness-war-free format, while Zeitgeist of course should be remixed.