Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2008, 08:04 PM   #1
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

Default i find it incredibly disgusting when bill chats with fans after a show or some shit

and it's this huge horde of them and he's talking about something stupid like "oh the state of music today" and all of the fawning idiots around him are all "OMG YEAH YOU ARE SO RIGHT!" over and over again and he obviously lives for this shit.

Last edited by Andy / : 06-30-2008 at 08:47 PM.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:04 PM   #2
MonteLDS
*sigh*

they do it all the time what thread are u talking about..

and we call him Billy.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:06 PM   #3
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

i wrote a thread based off watching one of your videos about how disgusting it is whenever it's after a show and there's a hoarde of fans hanging onto bill's every word and agreeing with every inane thing that spews from his mouth when he's whining about "the state of the music industry" or whatever.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:08 PM   #4
MonteLDS
*sigh*

he's credit as "billy"

anyways- i don't know what video of mine u are talking about.

also people are most likely ignorant about the music industry and are just saying "uh huh" as in a way to say "go on"

no one is having a discussion with him about it.

I mean what do you say about an industry that you aren't in to someone who you want to talk / ask questions with. You wouldn't be rude and say "shut up" or "you're wrong." You just remain polite and listen.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:11 PM   #5
Floppy Nono
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteLDS View Post

no one is having a discussion with him about it.

i think that's her point. they're just playing the role of bleating sheep.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:13 PM   #6
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

yep

Old 06-30-2008, 08:13 PM   #7
MonteLDS
*sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floppy Nono View Post
i think that's her point. they're just playing the role of bleating sheep.
i don't think they are being sheep, i think they are just being polite about it...

also i can see why the thread could of been deleted because it is about the "fans" and not really what Billy says.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:15 PM   #8
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

no they're not. they're not going "uh huh go on," they're going "YEAH YOU TELL EM" "OMG UR SO RIGHT!"

and WE call him bill, because there's a huge difference between billy corgan who wrote some great songs in the 90s and bill corgan who desperately still wants to be relevant but is surrounded by yes people and has no more shit filter

Old 06-30-2008, 08:18 PM   #9
MonteLDS
*sigh*

these are people who most likely don't know anything about the industry. so what if they are trying to be polite.

Some people are suck ups when they are talking listening to him. Not everyone can be like you.. sorry

I know you are just a bitter fan, but i don't know why.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:19 PM   #10
Floppy Nono
Socialphobic

do you think billy corgan knows anything about the industry himself? Maybe he wouldn't have gotten caught up in the multi-color zeitgeist rainbow label bullshit if he did.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:20 PM   #11
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

bill's the bitter one in these "conversations", yo

Old 06-30-2008, 08:21 PM   #12
MonteLDS
*sigh*

Quote:
do you think billy corgan knows anything about the industry himself?
i would suspect he would know more about it than I would, because I don't work in music. I am not sure what his behind close door deals are. It seems a number of acts that are mature talk about how bad the industry is

Old 06-30-2008, 08:22 PM   #13
MonteLDS
*sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pale_princess View Post
bill's the bitter one in these "conversations", yo
but you are the bitter fan. After a fillmore show he had talked about the bitter fans and how he just can't please everyone.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:29 PM   #14
Floppy Nono
Socialphobic

it's a lot easier to call them bitter than it is to seek his worst critics out rather than just his best fans and ask them for input on how he could improve the band and its music.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:30 PM   #15
MonteLDS
*sigh*

Quote:
it's a lot easier to call them bitter than it is to seek his worst critics out rather than just his best fans and ask them for input on how he could improve the band and its music.
i tend to agree with this. But he doesn't have D'arcy anymore.. He called her his BS meter. I guess we need d'arcy back more than james

Old 06-30-2008, 08:37 PM   #16
Floppy Nono
Socialphobic

i think if he took the time and the effort to ask the public and the fans what they think of the songs as he's preparing them for release/possible album, then in the end he would wind up with a stronger pool of successful songs than he would have had he just asked people who are friendly or on payroll about them. It would be a bit of an undertaking but at least the "bitter fans" couldn't blame him on this one because they'd be able to voice their concern directly to him and have it taken into consideration.

i mean, how hard is it to up a youtube video of a riff or song idea you just thought up for the album on your site, tack on a poll, and then come back in a few days (or hell, even a few hours) and see what the people have to say in the comments?

Old 06-30-2008, 08:41 PM   #17
Floppy Nono
Socialphobic

it's all the rage now a days to say "i'll give my album away online, fuck labels!" but to let the people have an active hand in shaping the album? that would be more powerful statement to make.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:41 PM   #18
MonteLDS
*sigh*

Quote:
i mean, how hard is it to up a youtube video of a riff or song idea you just thought up for the album on your site, tack on a poll, and then come back in a few days (or hell, even a few hours) and see what the people have to say in the comments?
the problem is that internet polling might not be the most accurate way to get such data. who checks the o-site regularly, fans who most likely would praise it.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:44 PM   #19
Floppy Nono
Socialphobic

i agree with your that right now the o-site is a bit of yes man paradise but i think some of the most vile and hateful netphorians would find there way there if they knew billy would actually read the comments. Plus, if general people found out they could rate and critique billy corgan to his virtual face (pitchfork readers, i'm looking at you), i think it could bring in some of the more negative and critical of listeners. Sure he'll probably get a ton of "billy crogan sux" and "teh pumpkins are TEH AWEZOMG!" but maybe he'll get a few honest and insightful ideas along the way.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:44 PM   #20
Andy /

Quote:
Originally Posted by pale_princess View Post
seriously it was about bill what the hell? you can't just delete posts without an explanation.
spplooge did because it derailed instantly. yours was the only on-topic post. this one seems to have gone much better. I've edited your first post.

And, yes, we can delete posts without explanation.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:50 PM   #21
MonteLDS
*sigh*

Quote:
but to let the people have an active hand in shaping the album? that would be more powerful statement to make.
but then how are you an artist, and not just a tool? I am not trying to defend all of the songs SP has done. But art is typically best when done personally.

I have asked a lot of people to take a look @ what i have done with my united states music video, but its hard as an artist or director to take other peoples advise and still make it feel like it is your art.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:52 PM   #22
Ugly
Immortal

Location: Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed

Billy's generally a pissy dude, though, no matter what the topic. He could be talking about how the sun is shining particularly too bright that day in the big blue sky and it'd sound the same as one of his anti-music industry rants.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:52 PM   #23
MonteLDS
*sigh*

Quote:
i agree with your that right now the o-site is a bit of yes man paradise but i think some of the most vile and hateful netphorians would find there way there if they knew billy would actually read the comments. Plus, if general people found out they could rate and critique billy corgan to his virtual face (pitchfork readers, i'm looking at you), i think it could bring in some of the more negative and critical of listeners. Sure he'll probably get a ton of "billy crogan sux" and "teh pumpkins are TEH AWEZOMG!" but maybe he'll get a few honest and insightful ideas along the way.
sorting the honest from the yes can be hard. i would assume that he is using more professional ways to do market research if he does any.. Didn't he say about Z that he talked to people on the street and they all seemed to say they wanted a rock album.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:54 PM   #24
Floppy Nono
Socialphobic

well maybe that's the point, this wouldn't be just his art anymore, it would be more like a fan collaboration. Everyone who contributed a thought or idea to him could feel a bit of pride that they had a hand in making a smashing pumpkins album.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:56 PM   #25
Floppy Nono
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteLDS View Post
sorting the honest from the yes can be hard. i would assume that he is using more professional ways to do market research if he does any.. Didn't he say about Z that he talked to people on the street and they all seemed to say they wanted a rock album.
to me, that seems like asking a starving individual if they want to eat. what other possible answer would they say other than rock? And even then, we all have varying definitions of what rock is.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:57 PM   #26
MonteLDS
*sigh*

Quote:
well maybe that's the point, this wouldn't be just his art anymore, it would be more like a fan collaboration. Everyone who contributed a thought or idea to him could feel a bit of pride that they had a hand in making a smashing pumpkins album.
Billy has to do it on his own for himself i would imagine. He was able to write SD & MCIS. two albums that are very well received by the world.

I would imagine he is too proud to have a community to help him write his new music.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:00 PM   #27
Floppy Nono
Socialphobic

i know he's too proud and that he wants to do it himself but, to be honest, everything he's done since adore has been somewhat lackluster and/or a total flop compared to his old days. Zeitgeist was a step towards recapturing the old feelings and sounds but i don't think he can really shape a new masterpiece at this point in the game without asking for some help, be it from the other band members (i'll consider them this until billy himself tells me otherwise) or from the people who want to see him succeed even more so than himself.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:14 PM   #28
MonteLDS
*sigh*

"No one fails- like me-"

let the boy fail then. too many fans want too many different things he won't be able to appease us all. I think we all know that there are some people who would disagree with what you think and what I think. And others would agree.

also is this the video that pale princess was watching? because it wasn't mine.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:53 PM   #29
Jonny5
Apocalyptic Poster

pale princess, alot of fans are gonna be like that. thats what they do. it is kinda lame, but thats why it is also funny and up for ridicule. so what? bring a super-soaker with you after the show next time and have fun.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:00 PM   #30
MonteLDS
*sigh*

she won't ever go to a show...

I don't think Billy soaks in with all the yes fans. I am sure he is one of the most critical person of his work.

this is acttually a question i hope to ask him someday soon. who is more critical of your work, himself or the fans