Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2002, 12:10 AM   #31
bonsor

Thumbs up

From what I've heard, thumbs up. I really like the image they present. Totally unpretentious. "I am Eddie Vedder and I sing in a rock and roll band. This is how I feel about these issues and this is how I will silently protest." And that's it. So simple. God, I love that.

Old 03-26-2002, 12:13 AM   #32
frail_and_bedazzled

i can't stand to listen to them....they really really annoy me. theorectically, i suppose they're competent musicians...i just can't get into it.

Old 03-26-2002, 12:14 AM   #33
the_boy

Thumbs up

Old 03-26-2002, 12:15 AM   #34
Graveflower

Quote:
Originally posted by autumnNOCTURNE:
If I wanted to listen to the same song over and over through the span of an "album,"
You know, you should listen to a Pearl Jam album before actually judging them.

Old 03-26-2002, 12:37 AM   #35
darcy_is_sexy

Thumbs up

Thumbs up. Great musicians, great songs. Plus the Ticketmaster boycott a ways back was quite a great thing to do.

Old 03-26-2002, 12:42 AM   #36
Mayfuck

Page 2.

Old 03-26-2002, 12:44 AM   #37
raindrops + sunshowers

Thumbs up

I love the "their songs sound the same" argument. Maybe the criticism is warranted on Ten, and to a lesser extent on Vs., but after that, it's just complete bullshit. Besides, every single song on Nirvana's Nevermind, or even early Beatles albums, sounds the same, but it's too bad that you couldn't write a song 1/100 as good as the worst songs on there.

At any rate, Pearl Jam is such an unpretentious, earnest, honest rock band with infinite amounts of integrity. Even if you don't like their music, I find it implausible that you would dislike what they stand for if you truly understand it.

Plus, they are flat-out consistently good.

Old 03-26-2002, 01:03 AM   #38
jenniferkate

Thumbs down

no thank you.

Old 03-26-2002, 01:09 AM   #39
ravenguy2000

Quote:
Originally posted by raindrops + sunshowers:
every single song on Nirvana's Nevermind, or even early Beatles albums, sounds the same...

...or the Ramones. Or that fucking strokes album. or weezer.

its just a lame argument if you ask me. if you don't like the music, whatever, but the "it all sounds the same" argument just doesn't sit well with me.

But why does it even matter in this case? All of Pearl Jam certainly doesn't sound the same.

Old 03-26-2002, 04:31 AM   #40
Siamese Dreamer

Thumbs down

Well folks, sorry to offend you all, I do concede a less than extensive knowlege on the band but their fighting shit with Nirvana, and just some of the shit they do strikes they wrong key, I like a lot of their songs but not as much as others cause they are fairly similar, but yeah sorry about the whole pretensious comment it was probably not the right of it, and I will listen to them and give you an honest opinion, just what I have seen didn't impress me as of yet

------------------

Nothing Left To Say,
And All I've Left 2 Do,
Is Run away From U

Old 03-26-2002, 04:40 AM   #41
Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally posted by Graveflower:
I think all the stuff up until No Code was gold. Even those three albums have some good stuff on it.
No Code and Yield are the two with songs i actually like. and Binaural, kinda.

Old 03-26-2002, 06:46 AM   #42
azvd

Arrow

http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/icons/icon14.gif : Ten, Vs, Vitalogy, Yield.

http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/icons/icon13.gif : No Code, Binaural.

Oh, before I leave:
http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/icons/icon13.gif http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/icons/icon13.gif http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/icons/icon13.gif : Creed, Silverchair, Nickelback...
AZVD.

------------------
w a n n a t r a d e ?
b o o t l i s t

[This message has been edited by azvd (edited 03-26-2002).]

Old 03-26-2002, 11:52 AM   #43
Fish

Thumbs up

Eddie is my hero

Old 03-26-2002, 12:52 PM   #44
Mr Snatch-O-Rama

Thumbs down

except for Ten.

Old 03-26-2002, 05:26 PM   #45
Flebath

Arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by Siamese Dreamer:

First off, thumbs way up for PJ. I've been a huge PJ fan since Ten & have enjoyed every album they have put out so far. Second, I agree totally with raindrops + sunshowers and Ravenguy2000 about the sounds the same argument. Third, Siamese Dreamer please shut the fuck up. I hate even responding to your stupid comments but here it goes. You have know idea what you are even talking about. If you knew anything about Nirvana or PJ you would know that the whole Nirvana vs. PJ feud was hyped by the media. Why should an overhyped feud many years ago be the basis for you not liking a band. Since you are such a baby heres a link for you.

... from the http://www.pearljamnetwork.com/features/faq.shtml#6.5

6.5 What is Pearl Jam’s connection with Kurt Cobain?
Cobain was the lead singer of Nirvana, as I’m sure you know, but the media made this big rivalry between PJ and Nirvana. At first Kurt went along with the rivalry openly insulting the band, but he later reconciled and admitted to liking Ed as a friend. The media made the rivalry out to be much more than it was, and there was actually a lot of mutual respect. After Cobain committed suicide Ed was very shaken up, as you could see from the live performances after Cobain’s death. There was a period of not knowing if there was a future to Pearl Jam.

------------------
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...9/fdd8e3eb.jpg

Old 03-26-2002, 06:10 PM   #46
Lie

Thumbs down

Ten is an okay album, and so is Vitalogy, but I just don't get what the big deal is. There is nothing spectacular or even interesting about them. Absolutely nothing.

------------------
Boot the grime of this world in the crotch, dear.

Old 03-26-2002, 06:31 PM   #47
nevermind

Quote:
Originally posted by Lie:
Ten is an okay album, and so is Vitalogy, but I just don't get what the big deal is. There is nothing spectacular or even interesting about them. Absolutely nothing.

in that case...you and Pearl Jam obviously have a hell of a lot in common...i dont see why you're not into them more. *shrugs*

Old 03-26-2002, 06:47 PM   #48
zekix

Thumbs up

Their live releases are better than their albums, IMO.

Old 03-26-2002, 06:51 PM   #49
jivewhiteboy

Thumbs down

not that they are a bad band. i used to like them a lot actually. but i haven't been able to put in one of their albums for a long time. i'm just not interested in listening to them anymore.
on a non-music level, eddie comes off as pretty self-rightious. everytime he opened his mouth when i saw them in concert it was some one-liner about politics or society that seemed just like pamphlet whining bullshit to me.

------------------
"I've gotta car full of girls and it's going real swell, next stop is the east side motel."

Old 03-26-2002, 06:54 PM   #50
Calio6

Thumbs down

Ugg.

Old 03-26-2002, 07:17 PM   #51
Siamese Dreamer

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by jivewhiteboy:
on a non-music level,eddie comes off as pretty self-rightious. everytime he opened his mouth when i saw them in concert it was some one-liner about politics or society that seemed just like pamphlet whining bullshit to me.

Man you suck, I resent your baby comment just because as you poited out, I obviously don't know that much about it, and being in Australia the media can manipulate the truth and we don't even have a clue. I remember hearing that they had stopped fighting, but wasn't sure if that was true, (but will take your word for it) so in essence, stop being a cock head just because someone dosn't have all the facts right coz that is fucking sad, almost as sad as my aforementioned post. and as I said I'll listen to them now and give youy a more relevant opinion on their music.......

------------------

Nothing Left To Say,
And All I've Left 2 Do,
Is Run away From U

[This message has been edited by Siamese Dreamer (edited 03-26-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Siamese Dreamer (edited 03-26-2002).]

Old 03-26-2002, 07:53 PM   #52
todustiguess

Quote:
Man you suck, I resent your baby comment just because as you poited out, I obviously don't know that much about it, and being in Australia the media can manipulate the truth and we don't even have a clue. I remember hearing that they had stopped fighting, but wasn't sure if that was true, (but will take your word for it) so in essence, stop being a cock head just because someone dosn't have all the facts right coz that is fucking sad, almost as sad as my aforementioned post. and as I said I'll listen to them now and give youy a more relevant opinion on their music.......

Mate, welcome to the real world - it doesnt matter where you are the media manipulates just the same...

btw - nobody gives a shit about any opinion you have. Please dont bother.

Old 03-26-2002, 08:03 PM   #53
McCollum

Thumbs up

Thumbs way up.

Old 03-26-2002, 08:13 PM   #54
Siamese Dreamer

Thumbs down

What a FETID pit of wasted humanity this shithole is... If there is one person with a personality and some actual interest in anything other than themselves here I would be suprised. U r all cynical self important bastards, and if you truly don't care about peoples opinions what the fuck are you doing on a msg board, that is contradictory...

*spits on the ground in utmost digust*

------------------

Nothing Left To Say,
And All I've Left 2 Do,
Is Run away From U

Old 03-26-2002, 09:39 PM   #55
Flebath

Arrow

Quote:

What a FETID pit of wasted humanity this shithole is... If there is one person with a personality and some actual interest in anything other than themselves here I would be suprised. U r all cynical self important bastards, and if you truly don't care about peoples opinions what the fuck are you doing on a msg board, that is contradictory...

*spits on the ground in utmost digust*

Don't turn this around on us. You are the one who came in making a bunch of crazy statements. If you don't like them thats your opinion which you are entitled to, but when you come in saying a bunch of stuff about a band that isn't true, then you will get this response on message board or in real life from a fan of the band.

------------------
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...9/fdd8e3eb.jpg

Old 03-26-2002, 09:44 PM   #56
Siamese Dreamer

Angry

BULLSHIT...I have openly admitted that I was wrong, and when you form an opinion based on false reports and statements, but then realise the fact and vow to ammend my ignorance of the truth by listening to the band and disregarding what I have heard, that is grounds enough for you to get off my fucking back, I appologised for the statements and I know that it was not the truth of it, being open minded enough to say that I was wrong and will change SHOULD be enough for you to take the hint that I made a mistake and would like to repent of my most heinous sin... after that when people still flame you, I get a bit pissed off at the ingnorance shown by not caring that I admit I made a mistake...

------------------

Nothing Left To Say,
And All I've Left 2 Do,
Is Run away From U

Old 03-26-2002, 10:32 PM   #57
todustiguess

Quote:

BULLSHIT...I have openly admitted that I was wrong, and when you form an opinion based on false reports and statements, but then realise the fact and vow to ammend my ignorance of the truth by listening to the band and disregarding what I have heard, that is grounds enough for you to get off my fucking back, I appologised for the statements and I know that it was not the truth of it, being open minded enough to say that I was wrong and will change SHOULD be enough for you to take the hint that I made a mistake and would like to repent of my most heinous sin... after that when people still flame you, I get a bit pissed off at the ingnorance shown by not caring that I admit I made a mistake...

get a life.

Old 03-26-2002, 11:51 PM   #58
ravenguy2000

Quote:

http://punkdork.net/images/stfu.jpg

Old 03-27-2002, 11:47 AM   #59
Crippler

Thumbs down

Their music all sounds the same. And Vedder's voice annoys me. I used to like them, but I found better bands, and now they just don't interest me.

Old 03-27-2002, 11:55 AM   #60
The Patient

big big big thumbs up to Ten. Big thumbs up to Vs. Thumbs up to Vitalogy... after that... eh...

but overall a big thumbs up for Pearl Jam.

np: why go - pearl jam

------------------
http://www1.sympatico.ca/news/Specia...mages/tony.jpg
never underestimate the predictability of stupidity
aim - shesellsmelsd