Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2020, 10:13 AM   #31
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

I’m just playing the heel

But really I thought them playing to click track on that last tour really made everything kind of drag.

Oceania is kind of a mixed bag. There’s some good stuff but I hate a lot of the keyboard stuff. It’s interesting as an album in that it’s the last SP album where Billy was truly following his muse as far as just making a grandiose album with no attempts at having a hit single or trying to attain some greater level of cultural relevance. Every subsequent release has been some desperate attempt to have a hit.

Old 11-06-2020, 11:45 AM   #32
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
I’m just playing the heel

But really I thought them playing to click track on that last tour really made everything kind of drag.

Oceania is kind of a mixed bag. There’s some good stuff but I hate a lot of the keyboard stuff. It’s interesting as an album in that it’s the last SP album where Billy was truly following his muse as far as just making a grandiose album with no attempts at having a hit single or trying to attain some greater level of cultural relevance. Every subsequent release has been some desperate attempt to have a hit.
I like track 1-7 ...but after that the songs are brahhhh
hey the celestials was the last regular radio appearance in middle europe. I have heard being beige 2 times....
Jedus

Old 11-06-2020, 12:47 PM   #33
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

after track 7 is where shit actually gets interesting, lol

Glissandra, Inkley, Chimera are the best things on the album, imo

Old 11-06-2020, 12:49 PM   #34
paranoid
Minion of Satan

i don't like the click track either, but that's not every song.

there was some powerful stuff.. superchrist (i do love that song), porcelina, never let me down, knights of malta when not performed to click, everlasting gaze, siyl, soma, siva was a monster, drown, rhino, etc etc. hell even tiberius and i can't stand that song.

Old 11-06-2020, 04:34 PM   #35
Ram27
dumb

I want to hear Jimmy and James do something together without Corgan's involvement

i guess they're not really friends or business partners or whatever, but still. best parts of the pumpkin sound [do we still believe that, actually?]

Old 11-08-2020, 12:27 AM   #36
Zero23
Pledge

It's really sad how fans on this board continue to post stuff like this about Mike. I'm sure you could play drums like him while Billy is playing lead in front of you....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2i16Ojo9zc

Old 11-08-2020, 09:35 AM   #37
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

I hear; No feel. Heavy handedness. Slop.

If this is supposed to be proof of something as wonderful as JCs original performance and countless live iterations of this track, try again.

Arguments to say; I suspect you can't do X therefore you are not allowed to have a critical opinion about it, are bs. By the same amazing logic, you are not allowed to have a positive opinion about it, because you can't do it either.

Old 11-09-2020, 01:04 AM   #38
Zero23
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy drevpile View Post
I hear; No feel. Heavy handedness. Slop.

If this is supposed to be proof of something as wonderful as JCs original performance and countless live iterations of this track, try again.

Arguments to say; I suspect you can't do X therefore you are not allowed to have a critical opinion about it, are bs. By the same amazing logic, you are not allowed to have a positive opinion about it, because you can't do it either.
I totally appreciate your opinion and agree. Just like Matt, Kenny and Brad (can't ******* Tommy since he didn't play any previously released SP songs), there is no replacing Jimmy, but each brought their own and kept SP going during that time to ultimately have SP still around today......which, quite frankly, is amazing. To me, Mike did a great job considering the role he had to fill in the band.

Old 11-09-2020, 09:09 AM   #39
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Old 11-09-2020, 10:51 AM   #40
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

It's like replacing Leo Messi with some kid from Accrington Stanley FC and then whinging that the kid only scored 26 goals in the season.

Old 11-09-2020, 03:30 PM   #41
Ram27
dumb

kinda shitty of bill during the zero one, eh

here's jimmy fucking up his entrance in snail and corgan just grins and they play through it

[fwiw i'm kinda fucking around just cause there's nothing else to do. jc's mistake was smaller and easier to hide under the fuzz]

Old 11-10-2020, 09:17 AM   #42
s0ss
Demi-God

I'm old.