Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2021, 03:02 AM   #31
Shallowed
Braindead

billy is out of touch with the dedication of his own fanbase

among many other things

Old 12-24-2021, 03:15 AM   #32
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Billy also massively underestimates the amount of money the remaining fans would blow on classic era shit. Like… these days I regularly drop $300 on complete garbage that reminds me of shit I liked from the 80/90’s.

The money he’s leaving on the table from bandcamp releases is dumb.

Old 12-24-2021, 05:34 AM   #33
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Bandcamp's ability to generate profits is overestimated, imo.

Radiohead's KID A MNESIA is one of the most successful relaeases i've seen there and it's still a mere $34000 before fees and taxes.

Mr O'Corrigan is making way more money selling overpriced merch and limited edition PVC vinyl you have to pay in advance.

Old 12-24-2021, 11:15 AM   #34
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlter View Post

Radiohead's KID A MNESIA is one of the most successful relaeases i've seen there and it's still a mere $34000 before fees and taxes.

Mr O'Corrigan is making way more money selling overpriced merch and limited edition PVC vinyl you have to pay in advance.
how do you know this tho? are you Mr Bandcamp himself???

Old 12-24-2021, 11:15 AM   #35
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

A warm welcome to Bob Bandcamp, everone!

Old 12-24-2021, 11:36 AM   #36
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

I'm not Bob Bandcamp, i'm Kim Dotcom delighted to make your acquintance, everone!

Old 12-24-2021, 07:43 PM   #37
Zerospaced
Apocalyptic Poster

You can't download a mini piano and a WPC hat from Bandcamp.

Old 12-24-2021, 11:26 PM   #38
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:

For one thing, you are missing some important factors. Kid A Mnesia was announced on September 7th with pre-orders up whereas their Bandcamp wasn't announced until October 21. That's almost 2 months where fans could've pre-ordered physically/digitally direct through the band's own site and was available digitally on other retailers way ahead of Bandcamp. Being Bandcamp was a brand new outlet for them, obviously sales were made through other outlets already, including being able to buy digital direct through their official store. Sales would've been higher if Bandcamp option was there from the start.

Also, this update went up on December 3rd, 2021...

"On the first Friday of every month since March of 2020, we’ve waived our revenue share to help support the many artists who have seen their livelihoods disrupted by the pandemic. Over the course of these 15 days, fans paid artists and labels $61 million dollars, helping cover rents, mortgages, groceries, medications, and much more. If you’re among the nearly 800,000 fans who participated, thank you.

If you’ve started to feel guilty about buying music on any day*other*than Bandcamp Friday, here’s something to keep in mind: on Bandcamp Fridays, an average of 93% of your money reaches the artist/label (after payment processor fees). When you make a purchase on any other day of the month (as 2.5 million of you have since March, buying an additional $190 million worth of music and merch) an average of 82% reaches the artist/label. Every day is a good day to directly support artists on Bandcamp!"

Over $250,000,000 in sales sounds pretty darn good.

I would love to know what other digital download stores make with actual download sales and not streaming numbers. I saw a bunch of major artists jump to Bandcamp, so it's obviously working. I know independent artists doing quite well on the platform. A few artists even ended up swearing off streaming in 2020 and 2021 and now release exclusively through Bandcamp as they make more money there than with streaming. I've also seen artists who remain on streaming services, but also release Bandcamp exclusives not available anywhere else. Artists are using Bandcamp to deliver music in unique ways. Amon Tobin's latest vinyl album fundraising on the platform was 343% funded. The foundation is there for the artist to control and release music how they want. And last I checked, I didn't see any other music platform give artists a bigger cut of profits during the pandemic when they were unable to perform. Meanwhile, Spotify takes the money users pay and throws it into warfare. It just seems very odd to me to wanna shit on Bandcamp after they took the extra step all on their own to help and support artists unlike any other platform.

Last edited by MyKeyZ : 12-24-2021 at 11:57 PM.

Old 12-25-2021, 07:15 AM   #39
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Fucking hell, mate. Did you have to go apeshit like that on Jesus' birthday?

LMFAO an harmless "Bandcamp's ability to generate profits is overestimated, imo. " is the same thing as "shitting on Bandcamp" to you, nice to know.

$250,000,000 don't mean jackshit if it's millions of artists trying to make a buck on the platform.

I agree with you where you say by the time Radiohead uploaded it on BC the damn thing had already been available for months. But that's the main issue with mp3, AAC or whatever. Between streaming and fancy physical editions the need to have it on hard drives is nonexistent.

I like Bandcamp a lot but for most of my favourite artists it seems to be nickels and dimes. (edit: they don't sell much).

I'm glad Amon Tobin (have no idea who he is) latest vinyl album fundraising on the platform was 343% funded". Crowdfunding your record and making a living are two different games, tho.

Happy Xmas!

Last edited by TheAlter : 12-25-2021 at 07:22 AM.

Old 12-25-2021, 11:07 AM   #40
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Fucking hell, mate. Did you have to go apeshit like that on Jesus' birthday?

LMFAO an harmless "Bandcamp's ability to generate profits is overestimated, imo. " is the same thing as "shitting on Bandcamp" to you, nice to know.

$250,000,000 don't mean jackshit if it's millions of artists trying to make a buck on the platform.

I agree with you where you say by the time Radiohead uploaded it on BC the damn thing had already been available for months. But that's the main issue with mp3, AAC or whatever. Between streaming and fancy physical editions the need to have it on hard drives is nonexistent.

I like Bandcamp a lot but for most of my favourite artists it seems to be nickels and dimes. (edit: they don't sell much).

I'm glad Amon Tobin (have no idea who he is) latest vinyl album fundraising on the platform was 343% funded". Crowdfunding your record and making a living are two different games, tho.

Happy Xmas!
Who is this Jesus fellow?

Amon Tobin is up there with Aphex Twin as one of the greatest producers/sound designers. With Bandcamp, he was able to leave Ninja Tune, a label he's been with his entire career, and go out all on his own. He launched his own label and created a yearly membership giving subscribers access to download every release from his several aliases as well as exclusive members only music and soundpacks. He used Bandcamp's vinyl fundraising option to put out all his records in 2020 and 2021. His Nomark VIP club is on its third year and has been successful for him.

His 2012 ISAM Live Tour was one of the greatest visual experiences ever. So many people have copied what he did back then. Using 3 dimensional physical objects to project onto and make a 3D experience with no silly glasses required. I'm so happy I got to see it in person.

Then he doubled its size in 2015...

In regards to streaming, I can't support a format the user has no control over. Having a file on your hard drive or physically is very important because you never know when a digital service is going to pull music off or make it only available in certain territories. Speaking of Amon Tobin, he has had some of his older Ninja Tune albums from early 2000s altered and had tracks removed due to now suddenly running into sampling issues when the album has been out for over two decades. So the only way to get his album as it was intended is an original physical copy. The German group Atari Teenage Riot had to release their latest single exclusively on Bandcamp because streaming services blocked its release. They also had an entire older album removed from streaming because they claimed it promotes and incites violence as it's a political record. Sadly people have traded ownership aka their power for paying a monthly price just to have access to something. In the end, you own nothing for all the money you paid and anything can easily be pulled and taken away from you.

Give me a download or physical copy any day.

Last edited by MyKeyZ : 12-25-2021 at 11:20 AM.

Old 12-28-2021, 10:27 AM   #41
starlightvideoproductions
Ownz

The gold version of the Viper Room is currently out for delivery for me.

Old 12-28-2021, 11:19 AM   #42
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Corgan would be much more successful when doing it like Neil Young with his archives website:

Old 12-28-2021, 01:12 PM   #43
thomas_bland
Ownz

Nice be good to hear if it's all that.

Old 12-28-2021, 02:49 PM   #44
Ram27
dumb

hopefully someone rips those

Old 12-28-2021, 03:09 PM   #45
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
hopefully someone rips those
Block of the day

- Billy CŘrgan

Old 12-28-2021, 09:26 PM   #46
Shallowed
Braindead

i'll do it on sunday.

Old 12-30-2021, 06:01 PM   #47
Ram27
dumb

some sad machines people got theirs

the album art is very very cool. perfect turn of the century aesthetic

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SadM...2557143022716/

Old 12-30-2021, 08:44 PM   #48
trev
charm

https://www.discogs.com/release/2145...The-Viper-Room

Old 12-31-2021, 05:46 AM   #49
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
some sad machines people got theirs

the album art is very very cool. perfect turn of the century aesthetic

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SadM...2557143022716/
It’s a closed group we can’t see it, SadMachine27

Old 12-31-2021, 05:51 AM   #50
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Very cool artwork indeed. The fact it lacks James’ autograph is a classic WPC fuck up tho.

Old 01-02-2022, 05:43 PM   #51
slunken
Virgo

gonna assume they rushed out the autograph version first and next will come the gold non-auto next wave

Old 01-03-2022, 01:47 AM   #52
krackhead
Apocalyptic Poster

I still got my sealed penis haze vinyl.

Old 01-05-2022, 07:56 AM   #53
trev
charm

so i'm guessing there were no download codes included?

Old 01-05-2022, 08:45 AM   #54
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

just a wild guess, trev?

Old 01-05-2022, 11:50 AM   #55
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Well here comes the end of the archive project:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SmashingPum..._vinyl_and_im/

Old 01-05-2022, 12:20 PM   #56
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Unhappy

Dang, skimmed through that board and I feel like I'm really missing out by not having a Reddit account

Old 01-05-2022, 04:48 PM   #57
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
Well here comes the end of the archive project:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SmashingPum..._vinyl_and_im/
LMFAO

spvin

Old 01-05-2022, 08:11 PM   #58
Bullet1979
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by trev View Post
so i'm guessing there were no download codes included?
There weren't... so if they don't make these tracks available digitally the best I/we can hope for is someone ripping their vinyl and sharing...

Old 01-05-2022, 08:18 PM   #59
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet1979 View Post
There weren't... so if they don't make these tracks available digitally the best I/we can hope for is someone ripping their vinyl and sharing...
Look at you, you Sherlock!

Old 01-07-2022, 02:51 PM   #60
slunken
Virgo

Picked mine up today and just took Side B for a test drive.

Very high quality pressing. Dead silent. It was shocking to hear this performance again with no audience noise.

The inner sleeves are regular paper so those will have to be replaced. Records were shipped outside of the jacket, but there was no added protection between the sleeved LPs and the skinny (as opposed to box-shaped) Whiplash mailer.

Very happy to listen to this on the first snowfall of the year.