Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 12-22-2021, 11:34 AM   #61
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

i'm shaking with excitement.
popcorn is flying everywhere.

Old 12-22-2021, 11:35 AM   #62
Cool As Ice Cream

THAT IS RIGHT, VOXUPDOC, I AM CALLING YOU OUT!

Old 12-22-2021, 11:57 AM   #63
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
THAT IS RIGHT, VOXUPDOC, I AM CALLING YOU OUT!
Who?

I’m not into internet dramas, I just want to have a meaningful relationship with someone special. Someone who gives a flying fuck about me, y’know. And that’s you CAIC.

Old 12-22-2021, 12:01 PM   #64
Cool As Ice Cream

omg i <3 u 2 merry xmas

Old 12-25-2021, 10:55 PM   #65
deadlecturer
Pledge

Hey you guys, I'm so embarrassed! Until now I thought the guy introduced as Bill's dad on Regis was legit: https://youtu.be/rMc2x8DZLZc?t=218

That's 24 years of being an untroo fan. What's my punishment?

Old 12-26-2021, 02:39 PM   #66
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

this is the worst thread i've read so far today.

Old 12-26-2021, 02:43 PM   #67
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

there was a time when the reputation implications of a thread like this would have ended ended someone

Old 12-26-2021, 02:44 PM   #68
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Mods, please lock thread and ban everyone who posted here. including me.

Old 12-26-2021, 05:27 PM   #69
T&T
Socialphobic

can the mods shut down the whole phoria?

Old 12-26-2021, 06:40 PM   #70
Shallowed
Braindead

how did you guys fuck up this bad

Old 12-27-2021, 04:40 AM   #71
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Arrow

Corgan Sr. sadfully still didn't live long enough to leave much footsteps in recordings.
Just found these six on YouTube:

Last edited by Corgan's Bluff : 12-27-2021 at 12:17 PM. Reason: From 5 to 6

Old 12-27-2021, 10:12 AM   #72
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

From what i understand we was a sideman for some minor rock bands in the 60s and 70s. BC mentioned he missed the chance of a lifetime when he rejected the offer from a band (i don't remember who) that would make it big shortly after.

Imagine struggling to have a career your whole life and then your son in like 3 years becomes the biggest artist in the country. Must be beautiful and terrible at the same time.

Old 12-27-2021, 11:03 AM   #73
T&T
Socialphobic

bill probably got some good advice from his pops "the music industry isn't for the weak. If you're not going to practice 80 hours a week, you aint gonna make it... and with that mug, and that voice... better practice double that!"

Old 12-27-2021, 11:16 AM   #74
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Billy once at the Joe Rogan Interview:

"My father was a drug dealing, gun toting musician / madman."

"When I was a kid...my father was a musician so...I remember I used to like...I wasn't allowed to touch his guitars but I was allowed to look at them. So I remember one day I was walking past the bedroom and I saw a guitar case under the bed and I was like 'oh, I wonder what that is...did he get a new guitar'...so I went...slipped the thing out and I flipped open...and it was a sawed-off shotgun in a guitar case....just laying there in the house...or, you know...I'd go open something and it would be like 10 pounds of weed. That was the world I grew up in."

"My Dad got arrested a bunch of times."

"My Dad says he has been shot at nine times...stabbed two or three times."

Old 12-27-2021, 11:49 AM   #75
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Can't remember the exact story, but Billy and Jimmy talking about how the band's "Gish van" was bought from Bill Sr. with bullet holes in it was one of the few genuinely funny and non-awkward moments of that Gish anniversary live stream.

Old 12-27-2021, 12:09 PM   #76
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Arrow

There might be lots of stories about his dad in his "Live Journal" diary published around 2005.
https://billycorgan.livejournal.com/tag/confessions
Picked out this episode:

Father Knows Best [May. 14th, 2005|11:06 am]
[ Tags | 1987, confessions ]

I am standing in the kitchen, talking to my father…about the past, about the future, about whatever is going on with us…my father is sweet person, who means well, that is until you do or say something that crosses one of his many emotional boundaries and then it’s everybody for themselves…living with my dad the way I do, in the wake of having returned home from Florida a complete and utter failure, has finally settled into a peaceful routine that feels equitable…I am not reliant on him beyond the roof over my head, and he doesn’t ask much from me beyond us getting along and me doing the dishes regularly…the place is such a dump that the concept of ‘clean’ is a kind of surreal subjective notion that involves the appearance of frugal, stark order, but everywhere you look are signs of creeping oblivion…being musicians as we are, it is common that you would have a Marshall half-stack in the kitchen, serving as a temporary spot for cups, dishes, keys, bills, or dog treats…my father has a Doberman Pinscher that he loves more than life itself, a dog named ‘Conan’…he regularly comments how perfect the dog is for him, because the dog loves him unconditionally and doesn’t know how to speak…this in my father’s eyes is the perfect relationship, something he not so secretly asks and wishes of us…I absolutely adore my father, and have a hard time telling him anything that might upset him…he has reinforced idea throughout my whole life that if it isn’t that important, he really doesn’t want to know…so it is odd to me, standing here talking to him in that same ruined kitchen, that he appears to be open when talking about the past beyond the anecdotal…

Having left us to live and essentially fend for ourselves with our step-mother around 8-11 years ago (it depends on who’s counting), I am finally feeling secure enough in my relationship with my dad to open up about some of the things that happened at home when he wasn’t around…I have come to rely more on my real mother to be the filter of all that has happened, for she is more consistent and doesn’t end up laying the blame at my feet…her position is one of good friend or confidant…she listens, points out who she believes was at fault (usually my father, but she hates my step-mother too), and reminds me that those things are over with now, etc…if there is any fault in my mother’s position about the past, it is that she has never fully come to grips with the fact that she abandoned us as well…in her eyes, she has never fully ‘left’, but consistently been in our lives the whole time…which is true to a fault…my father, on the other hand, cannot deal with the damage of his own decisions, generally taking a “well if it hurt you, it hurt me even worse” position, which renders any talk or argument about the past dead on arrival…so this is something new, to try to reach out to him in this way, to find some empathy in his heart and heal some of the still raw wounds…

We are talking about whatever when it suddenly takes a sharp left and we go into talking about the very real abuses of my past…as is his custom, my father talks about how he was abused as well…I counter by offering up some abuses that he was not aware of, and he gets quiet as my emotions rise…I am not blaming him, rather I am just letting him into a space that I have never asked him to come into before…feeling overly confident, I don’t hold back, because there is no longer anything to hold back for…I am off and running now, going into detail and over the cliff as I am prone to do…he is calmly leaning in the doorway to the middle room…the front door is open, and the sun is coming through…it is a beautiful day, and this is a moment that I have waited for for a very long time, because I finally have a pathway from my heart to my father’s ear…

He stops me, and repeats something that I have heard from my grandmother many times (his mother---in other contexts), a basic soliloquy about how life is tough and the only way you can survive is to forget about these things and move on…it is a fairly sophisticated nullifying argument, a means to an end that once served a whole generation though world war and nuclear terror, and he robots it back to me almost verbatim…I tell him he doesn’t realize what he is saying, which is if you essentially bury it, IT will go away…which is not true, because one only needs to look at the drug abuse in his life, the chaos surrounding him, and the trail of tears in his wake to realize that this has not been an effective strategy…I don’t want to bury it, I want to dig the bodies up and properly and honorably bury them with dignity…this is not a call for sympathy, this is a call to action, because I do not want to die, or live in the shadow of symbolic death, which for me is to live but not really be alive…

I lose my cool with my father for the first time in my life, and drop the mask that I have learned to wear, which is the one of the dutiful son, who endures and protects him from reality even if the walls are falling down around my ears…my voice rises, and I chastise him for looking the other way…I tell him in no uncertain terms that he wasn’t there, that he doesn’t know what happened, he has no clue what was asked of me…and he is only now making it worse by telling me his version of events, which gives major credence to what he went though at the time, and no credit to the sacrifices of his children…it is a moment that all children must inevitably go though, the moment when the parental edifice comes toppling down…they can no longer save you, for you are on your own, and maybe you always have been…my father is stunned, for he has never seen this kind of emotion from me…he is used to me being emotional, but I have always refused to break down in front of him…the emotions wash over me, and I cannot control my mixture of rage, anguish, betrayal, and sadness…I break down in tears and leave him standing there, cursing that I bothered to tell him anything at all…

Time to put out a real biography, Part One: The Childhood Years, now that both parents have passed...

Old 12-27-2021, 03:01 PM   #77
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

If that was the beginning of any chapter in the book, I would stop reading it...All those unnecessary ellipses...are quite annoying...

Old 12-30-2021, 10:02 PM   #78
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

I remember Billy saying not long ago that the latest ordeal with his father was that he didn't want to see Auggie Jupp after he was born. It must be hard being a "rockstar" and your dad still has a chip on his shoulder.

D'arcy and Bill Sr seem very alike.