Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 02-13-2008, 03:27 PM   #1
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

Thumbs up another festival lineup worth considering -- Rothbury

http://www.rothburyfestival.com

DAVE MATTHEWS BAND + WIDESPREAD PANIC + JOHN MAYER + 311 + PHIL LESH AND FRIENDS + PRIMUS + THIEVERY CORPORATION + SNOOP DOGG + MICHAEL FRANTI AND SPEARHEAD + MODEST MOUSE + STS9 (SOUND TRIBE SECTOR NINE) + YONDER MOUNTAIN STRING BAND WITH JON FISHMAN + GOV'T MULE + SLIGHTLY STOOPID + THE BLACK KEYS + GOGOL BORDELLO + CITIZEN COPE + KELLER WILLIAMS AND THE WMD'S + DEREK TRUCKS AND SUSAN TEDESCHI SOUL STEW REVIVAL + THE DRESDEN DOLLS + RAY LAMONTAGNE + THE DISCO BISCUITS + DRIVE-BY TRUCKERS + OF MONTREAL + GOMEZ + COLBIE CAILLAT + BRETT DENNEN + MEDESKI, MARTIN, AND WOOD + TAJ MAHAL + ZAPPA PLAYS ZAPPA + CRYSTAL METHOD + JJ GREY & MOFRO + THE GREYBOY ALLSTARS + THE SECRET MACHINES + BETH ORTON + BETTYE LAVETTE + JAKOB DYLAN AND THE GREEN MOUNTAIN REBELS + A3 + LOTUS + MIKE GORDON + YARD DOGS ROAD SHOW + STATE RADIO + THE BEAUTIFUL GIRLS + SAGE FRANCIS + RAILROAD EARTH + BASSNECTAR + PNUMA TRIO + DIPLO + FLOSSTRADAMUS + THE JUAN MACLEAN + EOTO + PANJEA WITH MICHAEL KANG + THE DYNAMITES FEATURING CHARLES WALKER + DJ REKHA + DEAD CONFEDERATE + DJ ROOTZ + MOTION POTION + SOJORN + BUSDRIVER

hmmmmm...this is pretty decent. and there's supposed to be more lineup announcements plus a full blown circus there too, lol.

could be an interesting alternative (or companion) trip to bonnaroo.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:30 PM   #2
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

looks like a yawnfest except the juan mclean.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:47 PM   #3
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

i really like primus, 311, gov't mule, thievery corp, gogol bordello, black keys, of montreal, cyrstal method, and secret machines. i mean, really like them.

plus DMB, Widespread, snoop and several others are bound to put on a good show.

i also like the mix of jam bands and electronica.

Old 02-13-2008, 05:17 PM   #4
redbull
Immortal

that looks awful except for STS9, Gogol Bordello, Dresden Dolls, and Flosstradamus.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:13 PM   #5
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

I'm not sure I would pay to see any of those bands, except maybe Primus.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:30 AM   #6
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

maybe primus? awful?

what the fuck is wrong with you people. do you ever even remotely lose yourself to the music when you see a show? do you know how to have fun?

i'm sorry to have to be a dick, but i seriously feel if you're into music and live bands but yet can't see yourself having fun at a show where DMB, snoop, crystal method, primus and 311 are playing...well then you need to check your fucking pulse.

i almost want to fly your asses there, buy you a ticket and force you to come up close during the bands i mentioned just to prove a fucking point.

almost. instead i'll pray for you.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:07 AM   #7
Rider
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin View Post
maybe primus? awful?

what the fuck is wrong with you people. do you ever even remotely lose yourself to the music when you see a show? do you know how to have fun?

i'm sorry to have to be a dick, but i seriously feel if you're into music and live bands but yet can't see yourself having fun at a show where DMB, snoop, crystal method, primus and 311 are playing...well then you need to check your fucking pulse.

i almost want to fly your asses there, buy you a ticket and force you to come up close during the bands i mentioned just to prove a fucking point.

almost. instead i'll pray for you.

311 is a truly horrible band. seriously it's the most generic god awful crap music to ever be released.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:11 AM   #8
bja1288
Apocalyptic Poster

davin will fly you anywhere on his dime to prove a point

Old 02-14-2008, 02:31 AM   #9
Shapan
Socialphobic

thanks for the heads up davin

Old 02-14-2008, 02:39 AM   #10
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
311 is a truly horrible band. seriously it's the most generic god awful crap music to ever be released.
transistor is great on shrooms. and their grassroots and early stuff pre the blue album is a riot live.

like punk rock in a way, i understand how you would find these guys kinda simplistic and mediocre, but they totally pull it off and have great energy. they are by no means on the same level as many of the bands i listen to, but as a second rate sublime they kinda serve their purpose in the musical landscape, imho.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:46 AM   #11
celluloid_love
Minion of Satan

there are zero acts worth seeing on that lineup

Old 02-14-2008, 02:49 AM   #12
Shapan
Socialphobic

Quote:
transistor is great on shrooms. and their grassroots and early stuff pre the blue album is a riot live.

like punk rock in a way, i understand how you would find these guys kinda simplistic and mediocre, but they totally pull it off and have great energy. they are by no means on the same level as many of the bands i listen to, but as a second rate sublime they kinda serve their purpose in the musical landscape, imho.
everyone just let this sink in

Old 02-14-2008, 02:50 AM   #13
I'm Hardcore
Banned

Transistor is great on shrooms

what a terrific fucking reason to go and see a band perform.

Dave Matthews Band? what are you, a frat boy?

Old 02-14-2008, 03:01 AM   #14
Rider
Minion of Satan

This thread has to be Davins attempt at trolling. There is no other explanation.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:01 AM   #15
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

i saw DMB twice (at Redrocks and Alpine Valley) and was pretty impressed. i love that crowded streets album. DMB are just a great outdoor venue band...with all their instrumentation and whatnot. not as good as The Roots, but still good.

and i think i was too hard on 311 in my last post. they are a fun band to see live. i was just mentioning transistor on shrooms because it always stuck with me after that, despite being kidna mellow and spacey for them, compared to the albums that preceded it. i mostly got into these guys because of sublime and rage.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:03 AM   #16
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
This thread has to be Davins attempt at trolling. There is no other explanation.
its ok to like dumb music sometimes too, just because its fun and works live. like superchrist.

i'm sure you guys have rocked out to nookie once or twice in the past, lol. admit it.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:05 AM   #17
Shapan
Socialphobic

there's a great energy in nookie. it is by no means on the same level as many of the songs i listen to, but it kinda serves its purpose in the musical landscape, imho.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:05 AM   #18
Rider
Minion of Satan

Quote:
its ok to like dumb music sometimes too, just because its fun and works live. like superchrist.

i'm sure you guys have rocked out to nookie once or twice in the past, lol. admit it.
Again you are talking about 311, it's not even good by Adult Contemporary boring music standards. It's just empty fluff music, theres nothing there.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:20 AM   #19
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shapan View Post
there's a great energy in nookie. it is by no means on the same level as many of the songs i listen to, but it kinda serves its purpose in the musical landscape, imho.
lol...touché.

but hey, i'm just being honest, you guys can peck away all you want but its not gonna change my willingness to mention "low brow" bands i enjoy.

now if you'll excuse me, i gotta go listen to some eminem, pigface, zwan, tenacious d, pat mccurdy, nofx, green day, gnr, green jello, gorillaz, def tones, nelly, less than jake.......and jamiroquai.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:26 AM   #20
Shapan
Socialphobic

i know you're just trying to get a rise but you should take nofx and gorillaz out of that group

Old 02-14-2008, 03:50 AM   #21
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

you're probably right about gorillaz, though i guarantee a ton of people on here think nofx are dumb.

edit: i wonder what the concensus on They Might Be Giants would be around here? there's another fun band i enjoy without over-scrutinizing.

Last edited by davin : 02-14-2008 at 05:20 PM.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:07 AM   #22
Boycott Graceland
Socialphobic

Quote:
http://www.rothburyfestival.com

DAVE MATTHEWS BAND + JOHN MAYER + 311 + PRIMUS + THIEVERY CORPORATION + MODEST MOUSE + GOV'T MULE + SLIGHTLY STOOPID + THE BLACK KEYS + GOGOL BORDELLO + GOMEZ + SAGE FRANCIS
maybe you could peel off my fingernails and pour alcohol over the open wounds instead

Old 02-14-2008, 08:22 AM   #23
talk show host
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: I thought using a condom was assumed but like, even if you didn't use one how would putting a vegetable in your pussy cause some sort of infection? Like, you can fucking EAT IT, but you can't put it in your fucking vagina and move it around a little

...did Davin just compare DMB and The Roots?

Old 02-14-2008, 02:06 PM   #24
redbull
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boycott Graceland View Post
maybe you could peel off my fingernails and pour alcohol over the open wounds instead
whats wrong with gogol bordello

Old 02-14-2008, 05:19 PM   #25
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

sigh. to each their own.

but you can't deny that this fest has a pretty decent range of acts, regardless of what you're into.

plus the site actually has some elements that are very cool. For starters, it takes place at a ranch and gives attendees a chance to explore trails, forests, fields, lakes, beachfronts, and even has on-site lodging, bars and eateries....and did I mention the full blown circus? Sounds like a blast.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:20 PM   #26
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by talk show host View Post
...did Davin just compare DMB and The Roots?
in a very limited and specific way, but yea, i did.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:20 PM   #27
redbull
Immortal

Thumbs down

Quote:
sigh. to each their own.

but you can't deny that this fest has a pretty decent range of acts, regardless of what you're into.

plus the site actually has some elements that are very cool. For starters, it takes place at a ranch and gives attendees a chance to explore trails, forests, fields, lakes, beachfronts, and even has on-site lodging, bars and eateries....and did I mention the full blown circus? Sounds like a blast.
you sound like a street-teamer

Old 02-14-2008, 08:09 PM   #28
davin
Physiopathic Paralysis

way to avoid admitting that those nuances are actually pretty cool...or at least, different and new for a fest.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:14 PM   #29
redbull
Immortal

it sounds like they're distractions from the bro-tastic lineup. I can go hiking for far cheaper, and without being subjected to DMB.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:36 PM   #30
ravenguy2000
NO FATS

Quote:
this thread is amazing