Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 11-21-2022, 01:33 PM   #1
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Default Time to move on?

After Cyr, I wasn't that excited for Atum; what I have heard is pretty disappointing. So what's next? There is no longer be any kind of hype or horizon for the band. I could imagine them putting out another dozen album recordings of diminishing returns over the next one or two decades. And it would all be more of the same in terms of engagement, interest, and defying (or disappointing?) expectations. What is there to look forward to? The chance of an Iha song or co-write? D'arcy returning? I think even these would be let downs. And there is simply no way that the Machina reissue won't underwhelm or even make us mad.

I just don't know anymore. Maybe it's time to move on.

Old 11-21-2022, 01:37 PM   #2
Green Eyes
Demi-God

Are you breaking up with the band?

Old 11-21-2022, 01:38 PM   #3
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Oceania gave me the slightest glimmer of hope that they might be able to make something engaging in the future. It was far from great, but recording an album with an actual full band (not just Billy and friends) gave the music an energy that had not been present in a long time. Then Monuments to an Elegy more or less torpedoed that momentum. From then on, I have just accepted it a good thing if we get two or three great songs from each "cycle", and can enjoy that since James returned, they have become an excellent live act. The studio material definitely does not intrigue me in any way like it used to. Only thing I am truly holding out for is the 12/2/2000 Metro show. Once (if) that ever drops, I will likely be done with SP as more than a Monte-certified "casual fan".

I did almost entirely check out between that era where Brad Wilk and Mark Stoermer were in the band to Jimmy rejoining. At that point, it felt like whatever intentions Billy had in playing as Smashing Pumpkins again had long become unclear. In retrospect, it seemed he felt the same way.

Old 11-21-2022, 01:58 PM   #4
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

I'm still holding out for the shoegaze / psychedelic album.

Old 11-21-2022, 02:12 PM   #5
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

I guess it is one of those days (or weeks) when I can't find any reason that I am still doing this.

Old 11-21-2022, 02:16 PM   #6
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post
I'm still holding out for the shoegaze / psychedelic album.

Old 11-21-2022, 02:18 PM   #7
ilikeplanets
Braindead

I have absolutely no hope for the new music, but like discussing this fact with people on the internet, so I will remain here. I like the old material enough to keep having conversations about that, too. And gen chat.

Old 11-21-2022, 02:24 PM   #8
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Old 11-21-2022, 02:53 PM   #9
absof
Demi-God

Machina reissue
Metro video
Zwan box set

After that I’ll probably keep buying archive releases, but as for actively following the band…

Old 11-21-2022, 03:37 PM   #10
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Hmmm i stopped hoping for new “actual” SP music after James came back and the first single was fucken Solara. That was it, i realized right there the hope was dead. Ive listened to most of what has come out since, at least once, but nothing has stuck and i don’t ever go back to anything post 2000 unless it’s rare fit of morbid curiosity

That said, i continue to follow SP/big willie news b/c it is frequently hilarious and/or entertaining

Old 11-21-2022, 03:54 PM   #11
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

it was time to move on 10 years ago

if you've made it this far, for fuck's sake, just sit back and enjoy the utterly bizarre, jawdropping, but largely entertaining ride that is WPC & Friends compete w/ Gen Z part 3.23242525 (starring Jeff Shreds & Hooky's Boy)

Old 11-21-2022, 04:14 PM   #12
paranoid
Minion of Satan

This is like when people decide to delete their Facebook but decide to announce it days before doing so.

No one cares, just move on without making a spectacle of it.

Last edited by paranoid : 11-21-2022 at 07:07 PM.

Old 11-21-2022, 05:45 PM   #13
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

I would like to announce that I also intend to block Paranoid.

Old 11-21-2022, 06:20 PM   #14
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Unhappy

You want to "move on," son? Do you not know where you are? Do you not understand why no one leaves? Do you remember your life before you got here? Do you remember what... you know... what happened to you that brought you here?

Old 11-21-2022, 06:43 PM   #15
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

What special sort of hell is this?

I feel like I need a specific de-Corganization therapy so that I can finally move on.

Old 11-21-2022, 06:56 PM   #16
Gooch
Apocalyptic Poster

If SP was a new band I never heard of before, I would not listen to this crap.

Old 11-21-2022, 07:12 PM   #17
T&T
Socialphobic

Yet another grand exit....

Old 11-21-2022, 08:01 PM   #18
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

You people.

Rather than making a grand exit, I am trying to articulate a real feeling of aimlessness/grief with the possibilities of SP for maybe the first time since the Iha reunion. If this is what a MCIS sequel sounds like then what the hell is left? Now that we know what ATUM is and the limits of Iha/Chamberlin contributions, I can't see any return to any sort of form I would care about.

This and paranoid is a big crybaby.

Old 11-21-2022, 08:24 PM   #19
T&T
Socialphobic

you made a thread.... that's a measurement of "grand" and attention seeking.

Old 11-21-2022, 09:33 PM   #20
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaFritz View Post
You people.

Rather than making a grand exit, I am trying to articulate a real feeling of aimlessness/grief with the possibilities of SP for maybe the first time since the Iha reunion. If this is what a MCIS sequel sounds like then what the hell is left? Now that we know what ATUM is and the limits of Iha/Chamberlin contributions, I can't see any return to any sort of form I would care about.

This and paranoid is a big crybaby.
Suck it up buttercup.

At this point I’m just glad they’re still doing great shows. Honestly as an old fan I’d rather pay to see songs I’ve loved for years, so when it comes to new music I can’t expect much. Odd that other people get really up in arms about it, like to a point where they have to talk about it daily. Like seriously what did y’all expect? Mellon collie 2? Hahahahahahaha

Crybaby calling me a crybaby. I fucking love it here.

Old 11-21-2022, 10:30 PM   #21
Ram27
dumb

if iha gets a song it will, for a fact, mark my words, have that SP1 magic

Old 11-21-2022, 10:42 PM   #22
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Do like the man says

Old 11-21-2022, 11:04 PM   #23
Slygmous
Ikari Rake Warrior

I think most people here have already moved on.
This isn't SP anymore, bringing in James and Jimmy to make a "sequel" to MCIS isn't going to make the next album more legitimate or make all the old fans come back. The moment is gone.

What's next? Maybe he will make the much requested sequel to Adore, or the next entry in the Gish trilogy? It'll be the same new SP with the same new production, maybe James and Jimmy will still be in the credits somewhere collecting their pay.

The live shows can still be alright though, and we'll probably get reissues in the next decade or so. Maybe even some comically overpriced vinyl archive material.

Old 11-21-2022, 11:07 PM   #24
LaBelle
Socialphobic

I don't care for anything Billy Corgan related, and haven't for years at this point.

The fun happens coming to netphoria and seeing people tripping over themselves to convince everyone how there's improvement and that maybe good material is right around the corner even when confronted with the most unlistenable, half baked, amateurishly put together piece of shit music ever.

Old 11-21-2022, 11:32 PM   #25
Ram27
dumb

every new song is another met expectation: shite

Old 11-21-2022, 11:33 PM   #26
Ram27
dumb

why does he go by william but then wear the zero shirt every day

Old 11-22-2022, 03:03 AM   #27
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

I'm pretty much just holding out for Machina, even though I never really thought it was that amazing to begin with, and I'm not expecting anything revelatory from the reissue. It is just the remnants of the original band I'm interested in hearing. But to be honest, he will probably screw up the Machina reissue with his current terrible production/mix choices.

Oh, and perhaps the "final" Metro show, if that ever happens, which I'm doubtful.

I stopped giving a crap about the archive releases once Billy announced they would be vinyl cash grabs.

I stopped giving a crap about new music a long time ago. But James returned, and it got me curious. Then I heard what they did with it, and went back to not giving a damn about new music. I've come to the realization that Billy has either lost the ability to make something with the soul and energy the original band had, or he truly prefers to make sterile electro pop to win over the kiddies, or the current way he prefers to record and make music prevents him from making something that feels like it's from human beings who have human emotions.

Old 11-22-2022, 03:54 AM   #28
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
why does he go by william but then wear the zero shirt every day
Bill has completely diminished the “cool” of the Zero t-shirt by showing the same understanding of fashion design as he has for writing poetry or producing records or writing a memoir or running a tea shop or a wrestling business. The tracksuit and caps are embarrassing. Desperate to do anything other than the one thing he is talented at but a mind so full of insecurity, ego and drug-damage that he thinks he can do everything. Bully Corgan Inc.

Old 11-22-2022, 05:37 AM   #29
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Lol this talking about the stupid story....and always hinting at some conspiracy theiry by bill thruout the podcast.

Saying act 1 was well received....bullshit...

What gives a slight fart of hope is that act 2 has better material...as bully said

Old 11-22-2022, 05:45 AM   #30
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
I don't care for anything Billy Corgan related, and haven't for years at this point.

The fun happens coming to netphoria and seeing people tripping over themselves to convince everyone how there's improvement and that maybe good material is right around the corner even when confronted with the most unlistenable, half baked, amateurishly put together piece of shit music ever.
Who is prsising the album except foolofatook..?