Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 10-03-2022, 12:47 AM   #31
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

So it’s 11:47cst. Are they still playing? Damn that’s gonna be a late Monday night for me.

Old 10-03-2022, 01:07 AM   #32
SlingeroGuitaro
Starbucks addicted minion

Nah it’s over. Looks like XYU was the end with no encore

Old 10-03-2022, 01:10 AM   #33
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

Encore was La Dolly Vita and The Chimera. Quite the range of decades and style there.

Old 10-03-2022, 01:19 AM   #34
thomas_bland
Ownz

That setlist sounds fantastic!

Old 10-03-2022, 01:28 AM   #35
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butt Pope View Post
Encore was La Dolly Vita and The Chimera. Quite the range of decades and style there.

Old 10-03-2022, 01:38 AM   #36
theslipstream
Pledge

Now that I'm back at a keyboard... some other thoughts.

X.Y.U. was indeed the last song. No encore... Billy thanked everyone and house lights went up.

The setlist was odd. It was a fun treat to get We Only Come out at Night, but it was super early in the show, and I think something like a full band Stumbeline or even Beautiful would have worked better if he was looking for a quirky MCIS cut. I got the sense that most of the crowd was confused.

"Once in a Lifetime" (what I referred to as the Talking Heads Death Dirge) was another highlight for me. I hadn't listened to it from the previous tour, and I was impressed with the amount of Billy Screaming(tm) on this one. I thought, Sweet, Billy's screams are back! ... and they kind of were, but he still pulled his vocal punches here and there.

Overall it felt singles-heavy and a continuation of the last tour, replacing a few Cyr tracks with Atum ones. I'm guessing the last new song is The Good in Goodbye? It had the same palm/crunchy riff as Beguiled but featured a nice blistering solo reminiscent of their early work. I was surprised they also played Solara, given how similar fans say it sounds like Beguiled, but Solara was actually one of the highlights with Jimmy's solo and extended guitar outro.

While I'd love to attend a show where he doesn't feel obligated to play the usual hits, I was impressed with Tonight, Tonight and Disarm. He introduced TT with some banter with James about how long they've played together and then broke into a Billy-James acoustic version. To contrast, Disarm was 1% guitar strumming and 99% disembodied orchestral strings, and the change was a welcome one.

Anyway, thanks to all who cared to read my hastily-typed messages from the floor. I was trying to live in the moment while sharing what I could with you crazy bastards. My friend had a family emergency, so I soloed it tonight, and sharing these moments here made me feel connected.

Old 10-03-2022, 01:46 AM   #37
theslipstream
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerospaced View Post
Yeah seeing that this is the third in the trilogy (lol) I'd expect a lot of MCIS and Machina songs.

I'd kill to hear SIYL and IOTM live again.
At the risk of being a huge buzzkill... these versions weren't great. Both are in my top 10-15 pumpkins tracks, so it's not like I don't like the songs... but they were just okay tonight. Not sure if was the vocal energy, or guitar tone, or what.

Old 10-03-2022, 02:27 AM   #38
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslipstream View Post
Overall it felt singles-heavy and a continuation of the last tour, replacing a few Cyr tracks with Atum ones.

My friend had a family emergency, so I soloed it tonight, and sharing these moments here made me feel connected.
Appreciate you taking the time to do it - impressive that your phone can handle this website's many intricacies.

At any rate, I haven't bought tickets yet for this tour. I'm waiting to see how many other setlists bubble up to see what they look like. Jane's set would be JUST the right length for me, being a pretty low-level fan there.

But I guess what boggles my mind is why they have to make the setlist so similar to that of the last tour. With a catalog as deep as theirs, it seems like pulling out stuff like Eye just needs to stop. While I'm bummed I missed the last tour, oddly enough, the main song I would have liked to have seen would have been Ugly. To toss stuff like that in throughout the set to balance out the singles would be great.

It's not like the casual fan in the room can distinguish between Solara and Cyr - so why do both? Pick one and drop the other. Put in nearly any other TAFH cut and you have made the die-hards immediately happy. And the casual fan wouldn't care between Solara and say, Marquis in Spades... or whatever.

At any rate, gonna keep watching these setlists and see if it's worth fighting my way to it on a weeknight 3 hours away.

Old 10-03-2022, 02:35 AM   #39
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

That version of Ugly they’ve done recently sucks. It sounds Solara-fied. No big loss if they don’t play that one IMO.

Old 10-03-2022, 02:42 AM   #40
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Someone on the fb group said the song after Silverfucked was called Neophyte and the song after Disarm was ‘Harmaggedon’. So two new ones we haven’t heard yet if true.

Old 10-03-2022, 02:59 AM   #41
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Some videos starting to appear on YouTube from the show. We Only Come Out At Night sounds great! Lots of dreamy country licks from James on that one. Vocally Bill sounds pretty good through most of what I sampled on there.

Old 10-03-2022, 03:10 AM   #42
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Jeff laying some absolutely rotten eggs on If There is a God. Has he ever played a tasteful guitar lick in his life?? The whole song appeared to fall pretty flat to the crowd judging from the video I saw.

Old 10-03-2022, 03:11 AM   #43
inkless
Ownz

Old 10-03-2022, 03:19 AM   #44
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Once in a Lifetime still sounds terrible. Will be a strong candidate for a piss break for sure.

Old 10-03-2022, 04:30 AM   #45
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Maybe they did WOCOAN because it was on that ad and maybe they thought people would know. It's definitely a song you'd play later though.

And also at 109dB I hope you were wearing earplugs! Everyone should be wearing them nowadays at concerts. You can get ones that filter out certain frequencies, rather than the foam ones that block everything. They actually do a good job of masking the sound of people talking around you, if that's a concern.

Old 10-03-2022, 06:36 AM   #46
ourruseoffools
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
Jeff laying some absolutely rotten eggs on If There is a God. Has he ever played a tasteful guitar lick in his life??
yes

Old 10-03-2022, 08:11 AM   #47
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Imo both new tracks sound promising

Old 10-03-2022, 10:36 AM   #48
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butt Pope View Post
Sorry, this was a joke. I was trying to think of a bad combo to end a 2022 pumpkins show.

So this is basically a greatest hits tour? Where is my Groupon seat? Seriously it’s the only way I’m going to go.

Old 10-03-2022, 10:55 AM   #49
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Angry

Quote:
Glad I didn’t bring my 12 y/o son. Three dancers in pasties are a stage fixture.
The boy needs to learn.

Old 10-03-2022, 10:58 AM   #50
Ram27
dumb

- opening with Empires fucking rips

- WOCOAN is amazing. love all the lush slide stuff. love the cheer when the drum sample starts

- I of the Mourning! fuck yes, need more like this

- i don't understand why some of the hits are in which i could really do without [disarm, cherub is long, etc etc]

- same for the deep cuts? who is asking for Eye, Quiet [fun a few times but this much?], Adore, etc?

maybe unpopular but -- Katie's vocals sound bad like 98% of the time. i love female vocals normally, but her + BC is uniquely grating

Old 10-03-2022, 10:58 AM   #51
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Now that I'm back at a keyboard... some other thoughts.

X.Y.U. was indeed the last song. No encore... Billy thanked everyone and house lights went up.

The setlist was odd. It was a fun treat to get We Only Come out at Night, but it was super early in the show, and I think something like a full band Stumbeline or even Beautiful would have worked better if he was looking for a quirky MCIS cut. I got the sense that most of the crowd was confused.

"Once in a Lifetime" (what I referred to as the Talking Heads Death Dirge) was another highlight for me. I hadn't listened to it from the previous tour, and I was impressed with the amount of Billy Screaming(tm) on this one. I thought, Sweet, Billy's screams are back! ... and they kind of were, but he still pulled his vocal punches here and there.

Overall it felt singles-heavy and a continuation of the last tour, replacing a few Cyr tracks with Atum ones. I'm guessing the last new song is The Good in Goodbye? It had the same palm/crunchy riff as Beguiled but featured a nice blistering solo reminiscent of their early work. I was surprised they also played Solara, given how similar fans say it sounds like Beguiled, but Solara was actually one of the highlights with Jimmy's solo and extended guitar outro.

While I'd love to attend a show where he doesn't feel obligated to play the usual hits, I was impressed with Tonight, Tonight and Disarm. He introduced TT with some banter with James about how long they've played together and then broke into a Billy-James acoustic version. To contrast, Disarm was 1% guitar strumming and 99% disembodied orchestral strings, and the change was a welcome one.

Anyway, thanks to all who cared to read my hastily-typed messages from the floor. I was trying to live in the moment while sharing what I could with you crazy bastards. My friend had a family emergency, so I soloed it tonight, and sharing these moments here made me feel connected.
Hey thanks for taking the time to do it, i for one enjoyed the read

For as cynical and depressed as i feel about this new album cycle, i am still excited to hear and see good stuff from the tour. They’ve been pretty great live the last few years

Old 10-03-2022, 11:01 AM   #52
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt4b View Post
throw the watch in the trash and start a mosh pit you fucking pussy
Srsly, this is a gosh dang rock concert, not your life-shielded son's school play

If I were watching James Iha shred and some goober's watch started shrieking "uwu baby, cover your soft and smol widdle ears, it's wevy scary and loud in here" I would be incandescent with rage

I'm old too but like what the fuck

Old 10-03-2022, 11:06 AM   #53
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
- opening with Empires fucking rips

- WOCOAN is amazing. love all the lush slide stuff. love the cheer when the drum sample starts

- I of the Mourning! fuck yes, need more like this

- i don't understand why some of the hits are in which i could really do without [disarm, cherub is long, etc etc]

- same for the deep cuts? who is asking for Eye, Quiet [fun a few times but this much?], Adore, etc?

maybe unpopular but -- Katie's vocals sound bad like 98% of the time. i love female vocals normally, but her + BC is uniquely grating
agreed, though I don't know about Katie. imagine if it was strawberry

Old 10-03-2022, 11:09 AM   #54
Ram27
dumb

they did this weird stripped down IOTM which kinda sucked?

Old 10-03-2022, 11:12 AM   #55
Ram27
dumb

no really i'm actually upset the more i watch

jeff masturbates all over it, it's slow as shit, it's made into a generic rocker

Old 10-03-2022, 11:12 AM   #56
Ram27
dumb

such a beautiful meaningful song, how can it be this bad with JC+Iha playing

Old 10-03-2022, 11:19 AM   #57
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

I don't know, this version doesn't sound that bad. Also, you are watching a crappy youtube video.

This song on there might encourage me to check out this tour more. If I can get a discount ticket.

Old 10-03-2022, 11:20 AM   #58
theslipstream
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
The boy needs to learn.
I realized when I posted about this that came off as a total prude. Was simulated masturbation while spread eagle in a swing "worse" than what one might see at a Madonna or Miley Cyrus concert? Maybe not, but it's about expectations. If I took my kid to a rock concert, I'd prepare him for f-bombs and weed smoke. I imagine the parents who took their sons and daughters (I saw plenty of each) weren't quite prepared for Jane's set.

Old 10-03-2022, 11:20 AM   #59
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Also, I wish they were playing Silvery Sometimes and Colour of your love instead of Solara/Cyr. Solara isn't that bad, but there are enough of these new rockers that it doesn't seem necessary anymore.

Old 10-03-2022, 11:33 AM   #60
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Thumbs up

Quote:
I realized when I posted about this that came off as a total prude.
Aww I'm just givin' you a hard time is all, about this and the watch, I'd probably be a bit upset in this situation as well