Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2022, 12:16 PM   #751
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

I finished Dahmer. I thought it ended much better than it started. I didn't realize how much they'd focus on the neighbor and I feel like that's more interesting than going over the murders and whatever.

Been watching Home Movies (the show). Haven't seen this since I was like 20. It took me a while to reset the coach's voice (same guy as Bob from Bob's Burgers and it's just his normal voice) when I started watching Bob's Burgers but the other way around hasn't been bad. Show is not as great as I remember but still funny.

Old 11-03-2022, 01:50 PM   #752
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

That Dahmer guy was kind of a cunt

Old 11-04-2022, 01:19 AM   #753
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
I finished Dahmer. I thought it ended much better than it started. I didn't realize how much they'd focus on the neighbor and I feel like that's more interesting than going over the murders and whatever.

Been watching Home Movies (the show). Haven't seen this since I was like 20. It took me a while to reset the coach's voice (same guy as Bob from Bob's Burgers and it's just his normal voice) when I started watching Bob's Burgers but the other way around hasn't been bad. Show is not as great as I remember but still funny.
I remember loving Home Movies! I haven't rewatched it ever, but loved it when I was like 12. Then again, I also liked Dave Atell's Insomniac around that same time period, so my tweenage taste is not to be trusted.

Old 11-04-2022, 06:40 AM   #754
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

I got sucked into love is blind by a co worker

But to be fair I was already watching MAFS UK

Old 11-06-2022, 09:03 PM   #755
ovary
Ownz

what if they made a show called the great british bate off

Old 11-06-2022, 09:25 PM   #756
ovary
Ownz

so many gritted, yellow teeth

Old 11-06-2022, 09:56 PM   #757
ovary
Ownz

first round of every ep is a straight up footrace. then comes the biggest load challenge. finally the baters are judged on best speed-load ratio while all watching the same video of a recent joe biden speech

Old 11-06-2022, 10:25 PM   #758
ilikeplanets
Braindead

I would pay so, so much to never watch that

Old 11-08-2022, 12:26 PM   #759
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

So I heard kids dressed up as Dahmer for halloween and also that "Dahmer glasses" have become popular after the show.

Also read today that Ryan Murphy will be making two more new shows due to the madd hype, which will also be about "monsters". Hop on the gravy train.

Only a matter of time now before real life serial killers become a Marvel\DC universe type thing?

Old 11-13-2022, 08:04 PM   #760
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Goldberg View Post
Severance was fucking great, one of those season finales that leaves you almost physically hurting in the knowledge of how long you'll probably be waiting for, you know, the answers
This one's worth a look, yeah. A bit like somebody took a Black Mirror concept and fleshed it out over nine episodes with John Turturro and Chris Walken in supporting roles.

It might be a struggle to write the second season if they didn't already have a plan for it, though, which gives me quite some pause.

Old 11-19-2022, 09:06 PM   #761
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
\

Only a matter of time now before real life serial killers become a Marvel\DC universe type thing?
Women love serial killers and women run society now. Marvel? That's to keep infantilizing men.

Quote:
“Watchmen” creator Alan Moore’s hatred for superhero movies is well known, as he once called them a “blight” to cinema and “also to culture to a degree,” but he dragged them even more during a recent interview with The Guardian. Moore described adults’ continued love of superhero movies an “infantilization” that can act as “a precursor to fascism.”

“I said round about 2011 that I thought that it had serious and worrying implications for the future if millions of adults were queueing up to see ‘Batman’ movies,” Moore said. “Because that kind of infantilization – that urge towards simpler times, simpler realities – that can very often be a precursor to fascism.”

Moore expressed worry with the notion that “hundreds of thousands of adults” are now “lining up to see characters and situations that had been created to entertain the 12-year-old boys — and it was always boys — of 50 years ago.
lmao

Old 11-19-2022, 09:17 PM   #762
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
The new season of AHS premieres on Wednesday...the last 5 seasons sucked but I'm going to watch and hope for the best. Don't know any other media I'm willing to try after 5 straight dud releases....nope, none at all. I have standards.
It was terrible

Old 12-15-2022, 01:52 AM   #763
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Kindred on Hulu is very good.

White people suck

Old 12-15-2022, 09:10 AM   #764
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Olive Kitteridge

Now this one is great. A miniseries, four hour long episodes, the lead role is played supremely.

Old 12-15-2022, 01:01 PM   #765
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

I watched Ozark. Good show. Shitty because it got cancelled without wrapping things up. I'd give it a solid B.

Watching Only Murders in the Building because my friends are pretty much making me. IDK man, I don't really like it. I'm almost done with the first season. It's not terrible or anything and the idea of the plot is okay but the execution leaves something to be desired. C-

Old 12-15-2022, 01:03 PM   #766
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Oh yeah what else have I watched

Inside Man - B-
Dahmer show - C
Living with yourself - B-
Stranger Things - C, second season maybe higher I remember liking it more. Another show my friends made me watch

Bojack Horseman - A
The Great - B+

for reference I'd consider The Americans and The Wire A+s (except you have to forget the last season of The Wire exists).

Last edited by reprise85 : 12-15-2022 at 01:11 PM.

Old 12-15-2022, 01:09 PM   #767
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Also in the past few years I've watched most of Bob's Burgers and I'm almost caught up to the most recent season. Solid background/winding down show.

The person who does the voice for the youngest girl on Bob's Burgers plays an out of control former child star on many drugs in Bojack Horseman, with the same voice, and it's hilarious to me.

Old 12-15-2022, 03:23 PM   #768
ilikeplanets
Braindead

I know her from Flight of the Conchords

Old 12-15-2022, 03:25 PM   #769
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Bob's Burgers in an excellent wind down show, which I haven't watched in years and maybe I should if it's still funny

Old 12-15-2022, 03:55 PM   #770
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

It's consistently moderately funny, which is more than most shows.

Old 12-15-2022, 06:08 PM   #771
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Watching Only Murders in the Building because my friends are pretty much making me. IDK man, I don't really like it. I'm almost done with the first season. It's not terrible or anything and the idea of the plot is okay but the execution leaves something to be desired. C-
I really liked the first season; I thought the second one felt like they were coasting somewhat. It feels like they imagined a weirder show (Martin Short bouncing off the stairs in the first episode, the imaginary Bugs Bunny, etc.) and almost immediately dialed that back, and I wish they hadn't.

Quote:
Also in the past few years I've watched most of Bob's Burgers and I'm almost caught up to the most recent season. Solid background/winding down show.
It's grown on me immensely. I think I'm in the eighth season or so? It seemed like it took a while for the kids to develop personalities; at first it was like they'd all just take turns saying something disgusting, and then it was just Gene doing that for a really long time, and at this point they're actual characters. I love Louise.

Old 12-15-2022, 06:29 PM   #772
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
I really liked the first season; I thought the second one felt like they were coasting somewhat. It feels like they imagined a weirder show (Martin Short bouncing off the stairs in the first episode, the imaginary Bugs Bunny, etc.) and almost immediately dialed that back, and I wish they hadn't.
Yeah why the fuck didn't they keep going with that stuff. I'm guessing sleeping with Jan cured Steve Martin's character? I just got to the point where that happens for the first time.

Quote:
It's grown on me immensely. I think I'm in the eighth season or so? It seemed like it took a while for the kids to develop personalities; at first it was like they'd all just take turns saying something disgusting, and then it was just Gene doing that for a really long time, and at this point they're actual characters. I love Louise.
That's a good summary, although I've always enjoyed it. The later seasons definitely feel better. I like all the characters, although I think they could do more with Teddy. Lots of times it feels like he's around just to help Bob with something he otherwise couldn't do (fix things, take him somewhere, etc). He did have some backstory shit in earlier seasons but I want to learn how he shot 10 men in whatever war and has night terrors now, you know? Something more.

Last edited by reprise85 : 12-15-2022 at 06:34 PM.

Old 12-15-2022, 07:05 PM   #773
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Thumbs up

Teddy's my favorite side character (although he's in almost every episode, so maybe there's a better way to describe him). I guess I just like it when he yells. And I'm at a point where it seems like they've been doing the backstory stuff; shame they drop that later on. Also, I could easily look this up, but: When do I watch the movie? Or does it not even particularly matter? I'm guessing there isn't some big permanent change that happens in it.

Old 12-15-2022, 07:12 PM   #774
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

I haven't seen the movie. I have no idea when to watch it.

BTW I just looked it up, Steve Martin is 23 years older than Amy Ryan, his love interest in (at least the first part, idk the rest) in Only Murders.

Old 12-15-2022, 07:13 PM   #775
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
Teddy's my favorite side character (although he's in almost every episode, so maybe there's a better way to describe him). I guess I just like it when he yells. And I'm at a point where it seems like they've been doing the backstory stuff; shame they drop that later on. Also, I could easily look this up, but: When do I watch the movie? Or does it not even particularly matter? I'm guessing there isn't some big permanent change that happens in it.
Yeah I guess Teddy is a main character, really. But we rarely see him alone or anything like with the others, so we don't really see his narrative or follow him from scene to scene (for the most part). So IDK what that makes him.

It's possible I've just been paying less attention but I have noticed lately that he seems like a prop more than anything. I'm on season 11.

Old 12-15-2022, 09:35 PM   #776
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Um, excuse me, Tina always had a personality and she's my favorite main

Jimmy Jr is my favorite side, and his friend

Old 12-15-2022, 11:47 PM   #777
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Very true about Tina. I almost wrote that she was my favorite, too.

Zeke is cool. He's more like tertiary character if that's a thing but he just seems like someone I'd have wanted to hang out with as a kid. He's like never mean or shitty.

Old 12-16-2022, 11:22 AM   #778
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Ok, Only Murders ended better than it started for sure. I finished the first season last night. I feel like the show would have been much better if they cut more and made it 6-8 episodes.

Old 12-16-2022, 11:23 AM   #779
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Thumbs up

Yeah, I'm not sure if Zeke is my favorite side character but he's the one I would actually want to hang out with. He's so kind and he loves Jimmy Jr. so much. And his emotional intelligence is just through the roof. Good kid.

Old 12-16-2022, 12:58 PM   #780
Nimrod's Son
Master of Karate and Friendship

Don't understand all of the hype around White Lotus. Watched season 1 and.... ok? Only watched because it's a critical and media darling but... that was it?

C.