Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2021, 06:59 AM   #541
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Old 09-24-2021, 08:40 AM   #542
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Old 09-24-2021, 01:38 PM   #543
RAWK
Pledge

Full album title:
Oh so Shiny and Oh, Oh so Very Bright, Volume 3 LP/CD/DVD/CASS/MD/8TRCK: Monuments to a Gothic Ocean: No Past, No Now, No Future, No Talent: Effigies of the Romantic Heart of Sad Dreams

Old 09-24-2021, 04:15 PM   #544
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Interview with Jeff
https://www.musicradar.com/news/smas...maha-interview

Can you update us on the progress of the new Pumpkins album?

“It’s going to be a triple! 33 songs. I think for the first run-through - because we’ve knocked out another song yesterday - I have maybe five to go. But I’m going to have to go back and revisit a bunch because things are always changing, but as far as the first run, I’m on the last lap!

"It’s been such an amazing artistic process because it really pushes you to find new things in your playing and your style and sonics. As guitar players we’re always working on things, whatever your current fascination is, so whatever batch of songs we’re recording I’m like, ‘I’ve been working on these types of sounds or chords and I’m going to do this thing’. Then you do that for maybe four or five songs and you’re like ‘Oh, shoot, I’ve still got two albums’ worth of songs to do.’

"You can’t keep doing the same thing over and over, right? So it’s been a nice challenge, difficult some days when you’re sitting there going ‘What am I going to do?’But the nice thing is that it forces you to push things. It’s not about technique or things like that, or even sounds.

"What it really comes down to for me is writing unique guitar melodies that complement what Billy is doing vocally. That’s what I’ve found the most rewarding, what I try to do is think melodically and try and create a conversation between what Billy is doing, and the keyboard parts or what James is doing. It’s really about good melody, and it’s been fun.”

What have you been playing on the album?

“My main guitar has been a Goldtop Yamaha SG1802, if you look on their website it’s the one with the P-90s, but I replaced the pickups with mini-humbuckers. That was one of the first guitars Scott got me, it was pre-Revstar.

"The neck on it is really thick and I tend to like thinner, faster necks, but I’ve gotten used to it and it just sounds fantastic. During the first 10 or 11 songs I was trying a bunch of different stuff, but I kind of settled into that for my humbucker sound, although it sounds really great too. Then the Pacifica with the Sustainiac on it I use for the more really jacked-up sort of stuff. I’ve also been using a '70s reissue Strat which has Lawlers in it which is just a really great Strat sound.

"Then amp wise, because we’re recording remotely, I actually take a lot of DIs so that we can reap later, but I’ve been using the Helix plugin a lot for the high gain sounds. Then for clean sounds I’ve been using a Brian Carstens prototype of a clean amp that we’ve been working on together. That’s a really high quality pedal-platform amp. It’s all point-to-point, 3D clean sounds that’s great for pedals.

"I have a little Carstens Black Flag 1x12” combo, then two Fender Deluxes – one vintage one reissue, but I’ve actually been using the reissue more than the vintage one because it sounds really great, it’s the blackface once. I’ve also been using a Roland JC40 that I picked up, because a lot of the stuff is very synth driven and that solid state sound works very well against that synth backdrop. So we’ve got those set up permanently, but we’re always taking a DI so no matter what I do it could always be re-amped! “

Is it a challenge to find space within so much instrumentation?

“It can be, yeah. But we’ve gotten quite good at it. It’s been something we’ve had to iron out over the last four or five years, but now whether it’s in the studio or live, we barely talk about who’s going to do what. I think that the three of us are obviously similar enough because we’re in the same band together, but then we each have our own strengths and weaknesses so I think we all feel comfortable relying on those, and giving each other the space to do our own thing.”

Old 09-24-2021, 04:53 PM   #545
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

F**K Jeff. I can't name a single guitar part done by this guy. Plus, now he looks like an extra in a Korean horror movie. Creeeeeps

Old 09-24-2021, 05:41 PM   #546
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
“My main guitar has been a Goldtop Yamaha SG1802, if you look on their website it’s the one with the P-90s, but I replaced the pickups with mini-humbuckers. That was one of the first guitars Scott got me, it was pre-Revstar.

"The neck on it is really thick and I tend to like thinner, faster necks, but I’ve gotten used to it and it just sounds fantastic. During the first 10 or 11 songs I was trying a bunch of different stuff, but I kind of settled into that for my humbucker sound, although it sounds really great too. Then the Pacifica with the Sustainiac on it I use for the more really jacked-up sort of stuff. I’ve also been using a '70s reissue Strat which has Lawlers in it which is just a really great Strat sound.

"Then amp wise, because we’re recording remotely, I actually take a lot of DIs so that we can reap later, but I’ve been using the Helix plugin a lot for the high gain sounds. Then for clean sounds I’ve been using a Brian Carstens prototype of a clean amp that we’ve been working on together. That’s a really high quality pedal-platform amp. It’s all point-to-point, 3D clean sounds that’s great for pedals.

"I have a little Carstens Black Flag 1x12” combo, then two Fender Deluxes – one vintage one reissue, but I’ve actually been using the reissue more than the vintage one because it sounds really great, it’s the blackface once. I’ve also been using a Roland JC40 that I picked up, because a lot of the stuff is very synth driven and that solid state sound works very well against that synth backdrop. So we’ve got those set up permanently, but we’re always taking a DI so no matter what I do it could always be re-amped! “
Man alive, could we please get someone in this band who knows what he's talking about

If you know anything about guitars, which I definitely do, you know what this man is saying is absolute gibberish intended to dazzle and deceive the interviewer

I'm not convinced this man could even identify a guitar out of a lineup of very dissimilar instruments

Jeff who? Fucking right

Old 09-24-2021, 05:57 PM   #547
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

"because a lot of the stuff is very synth driven and that solid state sound works very well against that synth backdrop."

Old 09-24-2021, 05:57 PM   #548
FoolofaTook

You guys are mean.

I like Jeff.

He's gentle and sheepish. And he looks kinda like a sheepdog with that hairdo. Cute.

Old 09-24-2021, 08:15 PM   #549
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Old 09-24-2021, 09:48 PM   #550
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Ughhhh, Jeff actually allowed to record parts and heavily synth driven. This shit is gonna be CYR (slight return).

Old 09-24-2021, 10:20 PM   #551
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlter View Post
"because a lot of the stuff is very synth driven and that solid state sound works very well against that synth backdrop."

This is the most depressing foreshadowing towards this new album that I could possibly think of.

MORE SYNTH. Did you not shit all of those songs out with the 20 song Metamucil fueled turd blaster that was SAOSBV2CYR?

Old 09-24-2021, 11:11 PM   #552
Shallowed
Braindead

have you guys tried not listening to smashing pumpkins music?

Old 09-24-2021, 11:40 PM   #553
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

"the brittle harshness of the solid state sound works very well against the synth walls and the violent attack of billy's bored dry voice fronting the mix. i also found that whammy divebombs really help lift the songs so i've been extensively using hi gain plugins with van halen presets to really help bring out the whammy divebombs. we are all very excited and think this record will definitely be better than siamese dream and mellon coll and the infinite saddies" - Jeff, Guitar World

Old 09-24-2021, 11:41 PM   #554
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlter View Post
F**K Jeff. I can't name a single guitar part done by this guy. Plus, now he looks like an extra in a Korean horror movie. Creeeeeps

I KNOW YOU WANT TO PUT YOUR ARM ON THE WHAMMY BAR JEFF

Old 09-24-2021, 11:42 PM   #555
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Billy's a 50-something year old man who thinks the kids love synths.

Meanwhile pop acts are all releasing 90s influenced music featuring guitars.

Old 09-25-2021, 05:10 AM   #556
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

don't forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
"the brittle harshness of the solid state sound works very well against the FACTORY SETTING synth walls and the violent attack of billy's bored dry voice fronting the mix. i also found that whammy divebombs really help lift the songs so i've been extensively using hi gain plugins with van halen presets to really help bring out the whammy divebombs. we are all very excited and think this record will definitely be better than siamese dream and mellon coll and the infinite saddies" - Jeff, Guitar World

Old 09-25-2021, 07:44 AM   #557
FoolofaTook

Unhappy

I'm just gonna put it out there that there's what I'm going to call "Jeffrey Envy" going round these parts.

I won't name names and I won't point my finger, but I think we all know who the guilty parties are.

I get it. I was once envious of Jack too, and took (OOF) it out on him. But I've grown, and changed, and become a stronger, cleaner man in the process.

I get it. Jeffrey is an amazing guitarist, who stepped into James's shoes, fill them, and totally surpassed his oriental predecessor. Jeffrey is also a very stylish and suave man. Most of all, his PhD in comparative literature must illicit a buttload of jealousy.

You know who you are. I just want you to know that you're wrong, and I'm praying for you.

Blessing,
Foolftook.

Old 09-25-2021, 08:43 AM   #558
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Synthdriven? Hahaha i knew it.... Shit on it. B'arcy it is a shame that xou havent released 1 good album after machina.

Synths are the key to success. So use your stock plugins

Old 09-25-2021, 09:30 AM   #559
FoolofaTook

Unhappy

Seems that we are now switching to what can only be termed "Synth Envy."

Interesting ...

Old 09-25-2021, 11:57 AM   #560
Reyngel
Apocalyptic Poster

“Very synth-driven.”

Well, that probably confirms it for me—after the Machina reissue comes out, I might be finally done with the band.

Old 09-25-2021, 12:24 PM   #561
T&T
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyngel View Post
Well, that probably confirms it for me—after the Machina reissue comes out, I might be finally done with the band.
you're not the only one.
& billy knows this
and that's why it won't come out.

it sucks cause I'm really into synth music
(new algel olsen cover of eyes without a face is fantastic)
but billy just doesn't have an ear for it - he should let it go, stick with what you know mr.Billy Corgan. strat, lace, bigmuff. x100. thank you very much. #livingInDaPass

Old 09-26-2021, 05:41 PM   #562
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothahi4L View Post
Synthdriven? Hahaha i knew it.... Shit on it. B'arcy it is a shame that xou havent released 1 good album after machina.
Hey, sorry, it's been a while since I was here, can you just confirm my recollection that you're the guy whose posts are always either "Fuck you Billy, your music has been total shit for the last 20 years" or "Just got back from the Pumpkins concert, I see them at every opportunity, they were great" or occasionally a combination of the two?

Old 09-27-2021, 05:07 AM   #563
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

After Machina there's still the Zwan collection.

I'd stick around for that.

And I'll deserve what I get.

Old 09-27-2021, 11:11 AM   #564
dustrocck
Demi-God

So the sequel to MCIS is going to be synth-driven and they're literally mailing it in when working on their respective parts? Yeah, this is going to be fantastic.

Old 09-27-2021, 12:39 PM   #565
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrocck View Post
So the sequel to MCIS is going to be synth-driven and they're literally mailing it in when working on their respective parts? Yeah, this is going to be fantastic.
At this point it doesn’t matter if it’s a critical or commercial success. It’s a new product for Billy to talk about whilst pushing another cashgrab greatest hits tour. It’s another reason to delay re-releasing classic material. Just keeping everyone on the hook and the train rolling.

Old 09-27-2021, 12:56 PM   #566
T&T
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoxUpDoc View Post
At this point it doesn’t matter if it’s a critical or commercial success. It’s a new product for Billy to talk about whilst pushing another cashgrab greatest hits tour. It’s another reason to delay re-releasing classic material. Just keeping everyone on the hook and the train rolling.
the only gravy train rolling are the legacy royalties that will continue rulling in from the 'best of the 90's" radio stations.

Old 09-27-2021, 01:40 PM   #567
BlissedandGone2
Minion of Satan

Location: You don't play guitar hero if you are a guitar hero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
and totally surpassed his oriental predecessor.
god fuck off

Old 09-27-2021, 03:48 PM   #568
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Chill out, mang.

Old 09-28-2021, 01:02 AM   #569
Big Truck05
Apocalyptic Poster

This isn't going to happen... is it?

Fuck. I feel like I'm a kid again waiting for dad to pick me up after practice, but yet again, never shows up.

Old 09-28-2021, 02:21 AM   #570
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Truck05 View Post
Fuck. I feel like I'm a kid again waiting for dad to pick me up after practice, but yet again, never shows up.