Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2022, 02:30 PM   #781
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
I feel like the show would have been much better if they cut more and made it 6-8 episodes.
It's weird, isn't it, that a show like Lost would have 22 episodes per season and people would complain that maybe three of them were filler. And now a series is only eight or so and it still feels like most of them could cut that number down. Writers are working with considerably less time to fill, and they're still finding time to waste in there.

I've read novels I thought would work better as short stories, but I don't know if I've ever read a short story and thought, "Eh, this five-pager could have been three." I don't get what's going on in Hollywood.

Old 12-16-2022, 06:00 PM   #782
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
It's weird, isn't it, that a show like Lost would have 22 episodes per season and people would complain that maybe three of them were filler. And now a series is only eight or so and it still feels like most of them could cut that number down. Writers are working with considerably less time to fill, and they're still finding time to waste in there.

I've read novels I thought would work better as short stories, but I don't know if I've ever read a short story and thought, "Eh, this five-pager could have been three." I don't get what's going on in Hollywood.
I think they could have made it a much better 10 episode series... but I often feel like the first few episodes of shows are shitty. Obviously they're not often going to be action packed since they are introducing everyone and whatever, but I think most writers aren't great at introductions. I feel like the best shows don't try to introduce characters like that; they just throw you in the middle of their lives and it takes you a few episodes to figure out wtf is going on. The Americans did this really well and I was hooked from the beginning. First season was mostly of heists-of-the-week-type episodes with character development not being the obvious main focus. Plus that show is confusing to begin with since it involves the actors pretending to be different people with excellent disguises. But by the end of the first season you're right there with them and it never had any boring introductory episodes. Breaking Bad also did a good job of this (although it's not as good as The Americans). But to be fair, like I said, most shows suck at this, even ones that end up being great. I mean, go look at the first episode of The Office. It's really boring. Michael is the best part of it but even he can't save it. Actually the whole first season isn't great except the Dundies episode and the one about racial awareness or whatever it was.

Last edited by reprise85 : 12-16-2022 at 06:08 PM.

Old 12-16-2022, 06:10 PM   #783
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Just randomly looked up a ranking of The Office episodes and season 1 doesn't show up until #62. And that Dundies episode is season 2 episode 1.

Old 12-16-2022, 06:25 PM   #784
ilikeplanets
Braindead

I've never seen a complete episode of The Office

Old 12-16-2022, 06:26 PM   #785
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Or GoT

Old 12-16-2022, 06:51 PM   #786
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

well, i love the office. but never seen games of thrones or that other similar show about..oh yeah. hunger games. are those the same show? that mrs mazel and queen's gambit, too. oh, no. yuck. yuck. yuck. never seen 'em, but they seem like basic lame-o shows

Old 12-16-2022, 06:57 PM   #787
yo soy el mejor

p much, i only like/watch frasier, degrassi, jeopardy, unsolved mysteries, cold case files, wheel of fortune, the news, and the occasional movie. i told tim we shouldn't even buy a television, but we did and watch it too much!

oh, and the office, i guess. kekeke

Old 12-16-2022, 07:31 PM   #788
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
I mean, go look at the first episode of The Office. It's really boring. Michael is the best part of it but even he can't save it.
Is that the remake of one of the original British episodes? That was dire, and convinced me the show was gonna tank immediately. Called it!

I've definitely noticed this problem you've identified with first episodes of things. And I wonder how much that has to do with the modern binge model where there's significantly less at stake if the viewer isn't hooked right away. If you know someone is gonna watch the next episode unless they actively stop it from automatically playing, you probably don't work as hard to get them than you would if you needed to ensure they made the effort to tune in the following week.

Old 12-16-2022, 09:05 PM   #789
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

That original The Office is so good and it's completely weird to me how there was ever a debate if the american version was better. There were remakes in all kinds of countries

Old 12-16-2022, 09:21 PM   #790
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
I've never seen a complete episode of The Office
probably the best sitcom ever, but i'm probably very biased because i hate most sitcoms and don't give them a chance

it won't change your life or make you think too much but it is consistently funny

I didn't watch it until around 2018

Old 12-16-2022, 09:26 PM   #791
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Is that the remake of one of the original British episodes? That was dire, and convinced me the show was gonna tank immediately. Called it!

I've definitely noticed this problem you've identified with first episodes of things. And I wonder how much that has to do with the modern binge model where there's significantly less at stake if the viewer isn't hooked right away. If you know someone is gonna watch the next episode unless they actively stop it from automatically playing, you probably don't work as hard to get them than you would if you needed to ensure they made the effort to tune in the following week.
I think it is like a shot for shot remake, yes.

That's a very good point you have about the binge model. Some shows also just feel like long movies, like Stranger Things is just a ten hour long movie every season. But Stranger Things also sucks for another reason: the finales exist to set up the next season primarily (it feels like). Especially the last two finales.

Old 12-16-2022, 09:29 PM   #792
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
p much, i only like/watch frasier, degrassi, jeopardy, unsolved mysteries, cold case files, wheel of fortune, the news, and the occasional movie. i told tim we shouldn't even buy a television, but we did and watch it too much!

oh, and the office, i guess. kekeke
I didn't have one for something like 15 years, but I'm glad I got it. I was just watching things on my tiny laptop with speakers not loud enough for my hearing-impaired ass. I don't pay for cable or anything but it's nice to watch stuff on a TV.

Old 01-12-2023, 08:14 PM   #793
buzzard
Minion of Satan

If anybody's struggling for things to watch and want to add a ~25min show to the viewing list, it's worth having a look at Mr. Inbetween. It's now concluded and there are twenty-six episodes split into three seasons to work through.

The series is essentially an adaption by the same creator of a 2005 indie film called The Magician, where things revolve around the day-to-day of an Australian criminal underworld figure via a somewhat loose tone that moves pretty smoothly between mostly conversational comedy, fits of action, a dose of moral philosophy and a light sprinkling of some more poignant moments thrown in for good measure. There's absolutely no need to have seen the movie beforehand, though, where the show is stylistically distinct (i.e. not a mockumentary) and certain character details differ in any case.

It has a very authentic feel and this might stem in part from the surprising fact that the lead (and creator) is not a professional actor, with only this one character across the two projects to his name.

Old 01-13-2023, 12:44 PM   #794
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

I binge watched season 2 of Vikings Valhalla last night.

It's mostly good. The "two bros on a road trip" plot doesn't quite work, though.

While it pretty much just makes up shit and barely parallels actually history, I like the fact that they show Christians as crazy butchers. And the focus of the Norse has turned from raiding and exploration to subjugation of Heathens. Cause that did actually happened. Christianity is an evil sick religion. Being Heathen in the 11th century could lead to being butchered by one of the kings.

The rest of the show is just fantasy and I'm OK with it. Freydis is a boss. She's my favorite after Lagertha from the original series.

Old 01-13-2023, 12:46 PM   #795
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Willow on Disney plus is a lot of fun. Very much in the spirit of the old Movie.

No Val Kilmer though, except for one scene at the end where they use the AI version of his voice.

Old 01-13-2023, 12:52 PM   #796
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Who has watched Ginny and Georgia on Netflix?

It's like a remake of The Gilmore Girls for streaming. Except the mother is a grifter. The Daughter is a biracial.

There's even a "hot guy" that the mom knows from high school, who owns a cafe in town, is constantly making googly eyes at the mom, but the two never get together

Old 01-13-2023, 01:11 PM   #797
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOneAndOnly View Post
No Val Kilmer though, except for one scene at the end where they use the AI version of his voice.
I wonder if this might be his son and not AI; I know there was a recent doc about Val where the son, portraying his dad, did the narration because he sounds spookily identical. I haven't seen either thing, so, no idea.

Old 01-13-2023, 03:40 PM   #798
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
I wonder if this might be his son and not AI; I know there was a recent doc about Val where the son, portraying his dad, did the narration because he sounds spookily identical. I haven't seen either thing, so, no idea.
maybe that's what they did. I just assumed they did what they did for Top Gun

https://bigpicturefilmclub.com/how-a...ce-in-top-gun/

Old 01-13-2023, 04:02 PM   #799
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Thumbs up

Oh cool! Hadn't seen that info (or the movie). Yeah, I guess if his voice model already exists then they probably just used that.

Old 01-17-2023, 01:30 PM   #800
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

We just finished The Makanai on Netflix. It is adapted from a Japanese Manga. It's a series about two teenage girls who join the house of Makanai, a geiko (geisha) training house in Koyto. The cinematography is amazing. It feels like a live action manga. Much of the show is about food, with long shots of meticulously made and delicate food.

I was first a bit horrified by the subject matter, cause my impression of Geisha was that it's an exploitative profession. But my Asian girlfriend said to me "this isn't about white Karen bullshit, just calm down and watch the show."

I loved it. It's def a contained story start to end. I am not familiar with the Manga, so I don't know if there's more material, but i'd love to see a second season.

Old 01-20-2023, 04:15 PM   #801
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

My Cousin had a non-speaking role on last night's episode of "Walker Independence." In the pic below he is the Asian guy to the far left. He played an 1880s Chinese gang member. He is a stunt man. Most of his work is doubling or doing stunts for Asian actors in tv and movies. So I don't see his face much on the screen. Even though the white people on the show beat him up on camera he did a great job!

this is his Stunt Reel

Last edited by MyOneAndOnly : 01-20-2023 at 04:22 PM.

Old 03-08-2023, 08:58 PM   #802
ovary
Ownz

i guess none of you shit tits watch the bachelor huh

Old 03-09-2023, 09:47 PM   #803
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Old 03-09-2023, 09:50 PM   #804
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

I started watching TV again now that Better Call Saul ended. There's some good stuff coming soon. Final season of Succession later in the month and season 2 of Yellowjackets on Showtime which is surprisingly decent. There's some good 90's stuff in there, surprised you degens haven't mentioned it.

Also The Last of Us is like The Walking Dead for adults. Pretty much a 1:1 recreation of the game's cutscenes, which is good. Season 2 is gonna be fucked though. Gonna need to improvise on that...

Other than that I've been watching the final season of Ozark when I'm really bored and hate myself. Show took a massive dump after season 3. Just shit itself and died. What the fuck. The CEO of Pfizer is smuggling heroin with some dipshit from Missouri? Wendy is playing politics at the federal level? The FBI are making deals to let a drug lord go? Marty is ordering top level cartel executives around? Jesus fuck.

Old 03-10-2023, 10:15 AM   #805
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by killtrocity View Post
season 2 of Yellowjackets on Showtime which is surprisingly decent. There's some good 90's stuff in there, surprised you degens haven't mentioned it.
If I haven't, that's a major misstep on my part. Fuckin' love that show. That latest trailer a few days ago got me pumped as fuck.

Old 03-10-2023, 07:25 PM   #806
redbreegull

new season of picard is surprisingly good.

they finally capitulated and "gave the fans what they want"

Old 03-10-2023, 08:25 PM   #807
ovary
Ownz

just mainlined the sopranos over the last month. not really into the ganster thing but it was pretty good.

Old 03-11-2023, 01:51 PM   #808
Elijah Moon
Apocalyptic Poster

I rewatched the whole of the Sopranos last summer. It's up there with my favourite shows.

Old 03-11-2023, 02:17 PM   #809
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

I haven't watched it in a while, but it seems like it had so much influence on the industry. I still list it in my top 3.

Old 03-11-2023, 02:22 PM   #810
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

It's one of the rare close-to-perfect shows. Even something like The Wire had a shit last season, and some of the mental health shit in Six Feet Under wasn't portrayed very well. The only other show I can think of where I wouldn't have to add a disclaimer about a bad season or plot point before recommending it is The Americans.