Old 10-14-2018, 10:51 PM   #33
Disco King
Minion of Satan

**axe hip fur

Old 10-14-2018, 10:55 PM   #34
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

sorry i missed it

probably too stunned by buzzard's two-in-one insult of my literary and coffee tastes to pay attention to much else.

Old 10-14-2018, 11:18 PM   #35
queenoftheswine
Demi-God

Location: Some area where the Canadian dollar is far more valuable than my own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
probably too stunned by buzzard's two-in-one insult of my literary and coffee tastes to pay attention to much else.
"Treat them mean, keep them keen" they say.

Old 10-14-2018, 11:47 PM   #36
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Somebody point me to his Pinterest so that I know what style of engagement ring to go with.

Old 10-15-2018, 11:15 PM   #37
obscured01
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. View Post
I'm currently reading IT by Stephen King. On track to finish it on Halloween because I spaced out the page count so I don't burn myself out.

I only started reading SK in 2010, which is kinda nice that I don't have any misplaced nostalgia wrt his writing. But it also means none of the books really scare me.
I started with Under the Dome, then went back to the beginning and read chronologically. When a new book would be released, I'd read that, then go back to the timeline.
So, so far, I've read Carrie through IT (except the Dark Tower books because I'm saving those to read straight through) and Under the Dome through Outsider.
I haven't read any SK except for the first book in the Dark Tower Series.. It was good.

I just finished The Girl on the Train and I didn't watch the movie until afterwards. I'm listening to Into the Water by the same author while I'm in the car (after dropping off the kiddos - I'm in my last class, I'm really strapped for time... in fact, I'm procrastinating now ugh) I'm only a couple of chapters into it, but so far so good.

Nat and I are reading A Wrinkle in Time every night, because she loved the movie. I remember it being one of my favorite books in the 3rd or 4th grade. I'm so excited she's enjoying it, but it's really a little over her head. Plan to finish it and reread it with her again after she's a little older.

Last edited by obscured01 : 10-16-2018 at 10:58 PM.

Old 10-16-2018, 12:16 AM   #38
buzzard
Minion of Satan

For what it's worth, I regretted my consecutive reading of The Dark Tower and would split it up if somehow forced to live again.

Old 11-14-2018, 10:30 PM   #39
slunken
Virgo

In the middle of Gnut Hamsun's "Growth of the Soil". This book may finally burn me out on bucolic rural pre-war fiction for a long while.

On deck: Mid-80s cyberpunk classics (specifically Gibson's "Neuromancer" and the Bruce Sterling edited anthology "Mirrorshades")

Old 11-14-2018, 11:59 PM   #40
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obscured01 View Post
I haven't read any SK except for the first book in the Dark Tower Series.. It was good.

Nat and I are reading A Wrinkle in Time every night, because she loved the movie. I remember it being one of my favorite books in the 3rd or 4th grade. I'm so excited she's enjoying it, but it's really a little over her head. Plan to finish it and reread it with her again after she's a little older.
I'm a King fan for sure. Easy reading.

I still need to get on Girl On the Train. I feel like I'll love it.

I read wrinkle years ago but didn't care for it. The kid liked the movie ok but has no interest in reading it. :\

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
In the middle of Gnut Hamsun's "Growth of the Soil". This book may finally burn me out on bucolic rural pre-war fiction for a long while.

On deck: Mid-80s cyberpunk classics (specifically Gibson's "Neuromancer" and the Bruce Sterling edited anthology "Mirrorshades")
I remember giving up on Neuromancer but I should give it another try.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:00 AM   #41
D.
Consume my pants.

I'm currently reading O Pioneers by Willa Cather. It's a gentle, slow paced book but in a good way. It's not a long novel and could easily be read in an afternoon. But I like taking it slow.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:18 AM   #42
redbreegull

Quote:
I'm currently reading O Pioneers by Willa Cather. It's a gentle, slow paced book but in a good way. It's not a long novel and could easily be read in an afternoon. But I like taking it slow.
is that one where (spoilers): they throw the young bride to the wolves out the back of a wagon?

or is that My Ántonia?

Old 11-15-2018, 12:19 AM   #43
redbreegull

I read both in a seminar I took on Cather and a few other authors but I cannot distinguish the two books anymore

Old 11-15-2018, 12:42 AM   #44
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

slowly grinding through Identity by Francis Fukuyama

It's good but I always find stuff like this such a grind. Too many ideas to consider in each chapter, to just keep ploughing through, but then when I stop, I'm so reluctant to pick it up again

it sort of becomes like going to the gym

Old 11-15-2018, 07:42 AM   #45
FoolofaTook

Finished Hitchhiker's Guide last night. What a bummer. End with the main characters daughter commiting murder and the bad guys destorying all the possible Earths in all parallel universes. Everyone dies and evil prevails.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:48 AM   #46
RenewRevive
Minion of Satan

The Earth is Weeping by Peter Cozzens.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:56 AM   #47
RenewRevive
Minion of Satan

Quote:
I still need to get on Girl On the Train. I feel like I'll love it.
I enjoyed it, no spoilers but I felt the ending could have been handled better. It's pacey and an easy read. Gone Girl is better written although the final section pushes unreality too far. The film made a good decision in changing the ending. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is excellent although the side-plot with the magazine and the industrialist is boring. I actually stopped reading when the main plot finished as it then goes off into the subplot at that point, which held no interest for me.

Quote:
I remember giving up on Neuromancer but I should give it another try.
I read it about 20 years ago. It's pretty stylized but you should give it another go.

Old 11-15-2018, 09:59 AM   #48
FoolofaTook

Yeah, I think I'm going to read that next. Looks cool.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:48 AM   #49
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
is that one where (spoilers): they throw the young bride to the wolves out the back of a wagon?

or is that My Ántonia?
def not o pioneers haha

i mean, there is murder but not that gruesome

Old 11-15-2018, 10:50 AM   #50
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenewRevive View Post
I enjoyed it, no spoilers but I felt the ending could have been handled better. It's pacey and an easy read.
i feel like this book is probably right up my alley right now, so i think i will bump it up on my list a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenewRevive
Gone Girl is better written although the final section pushes unreality too far. The film made a good decision in changing the ending.
It's been at least 5 years or more since I read GG or any Flynn so I'm gonna have to re-read or maybe look up a summary. I haven't watched the movie yet because i am ridiculous.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:47 PM   #51
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Haven't read the book, but the movie is terrible. You're not ridiculous for not having had watched it.

Old 11-15-2018, 01:16 PM   #52
RenewRevive
Minion of Satan

Quote:
i feel like this book is probably right up my alley right now, so i think i will bump it up on my list a bit.

It's been at least 5 years or more since I read GG or any Flynn so I'm gonna have to re-read or maybe look up a summary. I haven't watched the movie yet because i am ridiculous.
It's not super-deep or anything, good treatment of alcoholism though. I haven't bothered with the film, the casting for the main character seemed off. The book is set in London btw.

Gone Girl is a strong adaptation, you could certainly do a lot worse. I recorded the Sharp Objects serial a while back and when I finally sat down to watch it realized that I'd changed my TV contract so it was locked Fuck! A downloading-i-will-go.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:25 PM   #53
yo soy el mejor

drinking: a love story and blackout are both p good first-hand books about alcoholism.

my therapist recommended the first one.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:28 PM   #54
yo soy el mejor

i finally finished shadow of the wind at 580-something pages. i miss it. it was a real page-turner as it went on and every time i had the chance i was excited to crack it open to see what happened next.

now i am reading homage to catalonia by orwell. it's his personal account of fighting in the spanish civil war for POUM (Partido Obrero de Unification Marxista). Now that's how you travel.

Old 11-16-2018, 05:20 PM   #55
redbreegull

Quote:
def not o pioneers haha

i mean, there is murder but not that gruesome
yeah but that is pretty fuckin brutal when: the angry husband shoots his wife and the guy who is in love with her with a shotgun in the field and they are crawling towards each other as they die

that image and the wolves from the other Cather book I read are what stuck with me the most

Old 11-16-2018, 06:55 PM   #56
FoolofaTook

i tried neoromancer which is good but just isn't right for some reason.

think i might read some ursula instead. still have like half of the hainish cycle left to devour.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:54 PM   #57
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
drinking: a love story and blackout are both p good first-hand books about alcoholism.

my therapist recommended the first one.
I've read a coupla books on alcoholism. b is a year sober.

lit: a memoir
drink: the intimate relationship between alcohol and women

Old 11-16-2018, 08:57 PM   #58
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
yeah but that is pretty fuckin brutal when: the angry husband shoots his wife and the guy who is in love with her with a shotgun in the field and they are crawling towards each other as they die
YEAHHH that was good.

though i wonder why frank didn't seem more upset; i get his relationship with marie was uh complicated but he seemed to still think highly of her and emil,

Old 11-17-2018, 05:37 AM   #59
RenewRevive
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
i finally finished shadow of the wind at 580-something pages. i miss it. it was a real page-turner as it went on and every time i had the chance i was excited to crack it open to see what happened next.

now i am reading homage to catalonia by orwell. it's his personal account of fighting in the spanish civil war for POUM (Partido Obrero de Unification Marxista). Now that's how you travel.
If i recall correctly wasn't his wife with him?

Old 11-26-2018, 09:50 AM   #60
FoolofaTook

Smile

I just downloaded the Books of Earthsea, containing everything from the cycle. It's got the last of the stories, which was written not long before Ursula passed.
Check out this description of a grimalkin:

"The cat sauntered round the foot of the low bed and elevated himself weightlessly onto it. He had been fed. He sat down and washed his face and ears, wetting one paw patiently over and over, and then undertook extensive cleansing of his hind parts, sometimes holding a back paw up with a front paw so that he could clean the claws, or holding down his tail as if expecting it to try to get away. Now and then he looked up for a minute, immobile, with a strange absent gaze, as if listening for instructions. At last he gave a little belch and settled down beside Ged’s ankles, arranging himself to sleep."