Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2021, 02:07 PM   #31
Caine Walker
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
caine, i didn't really know you or eulogy, but i always appreciated the fire he would bring to the board, and his shared love of taylor swift. he obviously didn't give a shit about what anyone thought of his opinions and he was always willing to stand up for what he believed, and would fight it with fire. I loved reading it all.. and his views were often a barometer for what i felt was my own feeling on whatever subject he was debating. TL;DR i agreed with him probably 99% of the time.

did he have a condition or was this unexpected and random? so sorry you had to go through that.. the experience of it sounds terrifying and unfair.
this is exactly why I loved him so fiercely. thank you for sharing this, it made me smile so hard.

we both had covid late last year, and I have a feeling that the long term effects were hitting him harder than either of us realized. but it was absolutely unexpected. landing in maui one evening and then… finding him the next morning was nothing I would have ever been prepared for.

i’m actually just getting off the island today. it was the soonest I could
get a flight back. these last few days have been like existing in hell in paradise.

Old 06-03-2021, 02:54 PM   #32
Ol' Couch Ass
Socialphobic

This is so hard to read. Eulogy was a true original and a legend on this board. Really sorry to hear this and will be thinking about you CW. Fuck.

Old 06-03-2021, 02:54 PM   #33
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

I...don't think we ever interacted more than a few times, but as long as I've been aware of Netphoria, I've known his name, feels like.

I'm terribly sorry, Caine.

Old 06-03-2021, 02:56 PM   #34
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine Walker View Post
this is exactly why I loved him so fiercely. thank you for sharing this, it made me smile so hard.

we both had covid late last year, and I have a feeling that the long term effects were hitting him harder than either of us realized. but it was absolutely unexpected. landing in maui one evening and then… finding him the next morning was nothing I would have ever been prepared for.

i’m actually just getting off the island today. it was the soonest I could
get a flight back. these last few days have been like existing in hell in paradise.
jesus man i am so sorry

Old 06-03-2021, 04:10 PM   #35
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Horrible. So sorry

Old 06-03-2021, 04:24 PM   #36
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

he just posted recently how his family was hit super hard by corona. and now him, of long term effects? so brutal. haven't read about something similar to be fair.

are his parents alive?

I'm so sorry, Caine.

Old 06-03-2021, 06:25 PM   #37
ovary
Ownz

:-( eulogy's always been a good guy. condolences.

Old 06-03-2021, 09:11 PM   #38
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

I saw this on Facebook Tuesday and it stopped in my tracks. I was fortunate to meet Chris twice and enjoy beers with him both times when he was in DC. A great man, a kind soul. Next time I’m there I will go to Churchkey, which was one of his favorite beer joints I know of, and toast to Caine and him.

Tom, my condolences to you and your entire family. Hugs.

Old 06-04-2021, 12:07 AM   #39
bardy
Immortal

I’m so sorry, Caine. I have nothing but positive memories of Eulogy.

Old 06-04-2021, 01:59 AM   #40
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

when i saw this thread i knew rationally that D. would never come back to phoria just to do a tasteless prank like that, but the news struck me as so bizarre and surreal that it took some time to really register as being real.

we never really interacted much caine, but it must have been truly hellish for you to have this kind of atom bomb landed on your life out of nowhere like that. especially during what was supposed to be a nice vacation with your partner. jesus christ man. life.

for what it's worth, i always respected Eulogy's sharp wit and ability to always be himself to a tee without ever letting anyone else's opinions sway him. i think i speak for all of us when i say that his multi-page flame wars with trots were some of netphoria's finest native produce through the years. take care of yourself. RIP.

Old 06-04-2021, 03:18 AM   #41
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

figured i'd drop in all of the thoughts and memories i have related to Eulogy -- not intended as any sort of eulogy, just unvarnished memories. the dude kept it real, seems better this way

i always liked the Ænima album, and liked the song Eulogy plenty already, but paid it extra attention because of Eulogy's username. felt like it deserved more deliberate listening since he chose it. i'm glad for that, ripping song

a lot of my memories of him involve discussions of bands and music, since i never engaged in any of the politics discussions. at some point i remember him saying he liked Rilo Kiley. also Deftones. fucking Deftones!! i remember talking about that a bit with him more recently

he joined here really young, maybe it was highschool, but possibly it was middle school

i remember when he was a teenager and he posted about his first gay experience. he was pretty open and matter of fact about it, and i remember being caught off guard, because previously he had been posting about a girl he hung out with a lot but wasn't sure if she liked him (or something like that, it's been a long time). it was in the woods after school.

i remember when he went off to college. Notre Dame if i remember correctly, and he was pretty pumped about that. i remember he posted some pics where he had some beers and his face was pretty red haha

when i learned he was going to be a lawyer, i thought that made perfect sense. the endless debates with Trostskilicious stand out in memory most. i mostly tuned out for those to be honest, but it was undeniably a big part of the energy here. he seemed to always have a firm point of view, and he was never shy about advocating for it.

i remember when Eulogy and Caine Walker became a couple and they were never obnoxious about it. so that's pretty rad. reflecting on it now, he also seemed more relaxed/calm/happy/peaceful/stable/less angry, etc. because of it

it struck me as odd that Eulogy seemed to get along in real life with KrazeeStacee, who i considered a nemesis.

i loved the hockey threads, with Ol Couch Ass cheering on his Bolts, Duovamp and Eulogy cheering on the Pens, and me representing my Bruins. so few people i know in my real life give a crap about hockey so it always feels comforting to me interacting with others who really love it too.

i always thought of him as a chicago guy, but i never thought to ask how come the Pens were his team... did he grow up in pennsylvania? oddly, and unrelated to this, i've sometimes thought about what it'd be like to die withought your favorite team ever winning the Cup, so it's nice to know he saw them win it three times. not sure if he was alive during the Lemieux ones, but if so he was probably an infant, so those don't count for this

just wanted to share my memories of the man. never would have imagined him being the sort of guy to pass early. if we're being honest, there are some of us for whom such news might be less of a surprise... but i always just assumed he had a great, long life ahead of him. just shocking. we basically got the chance to see him grow up here.

tehb0lly!!1 said it well Caine, we're thinking of you. my intention with all this by the way, is just to share what i remember of him with you, in the event that it brings you a little comfort or positive feelings. i remember a very cold, lonely feeling, wishing i could just discuss and talk about someone i loved after they had died, just to reminisce and help remember them and feel closer to them, and there was never really any place for it and it was even lonelier than it should have been. sharing the life you two did, i don't imagine that specific dynamic will be a such an issue, but even so, just wanted to share my memories here with you

Old 06-04-2021, 08:24 AM   #42
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

I’m so incredibly sorry and sad to read this.

Eulogy gave me a hard time for being a clueless boring lonely soccer mom when I joined about ten years ago... not without good reason. Then about a couple of years ago he sent me a PM offering me a very genuine apology. He was an incredibly decent person even when he didn’t have to be

May he rest in peace

So sorry for your loss Caine. I always loved how different the two of you seemed to be and will never forget you posting about how you knew when he was at netphoria because of the furious typing

He was such an accomplished, clever, talented guy. He had an enormous amount to give to this world and it’s very much a poorer place without him. I’m so sorry Caine

Old 06-04-2021, 12:36 PM   #43
ilikeplanets
Braindead

I also enjoyed talking about music with him. He was the other huge fan of Failure here, and I hope he enjoyed seeing them in concert over the last few years. I remember us being hyped about their new releases, and friendly debating over how they stacked up to the old stuff.

Old 06-04-2021, 02:42 PM   #44
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Omg
That is awful.
I’m so sorry for your loss...

Old 06-04-2021, 03:55 PM   #45
Caine Walker
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR View Post
figured i'd drop in all of the thoughts and memories i have related to Eulogy -- not intended as any sort of eulogy, just unvarnished memories. the dude kept it real, seems better this way

i always liked the Ænima album, and liked the song Eulogy plenty already, but paid it extra attention because of Eulogy's username. felt like it deserved more deliberate listening since he chose it. i'm glad for that, ripping song

a lot of my memories of him involve discussions of bands and music, since i never engaged in any of the politics discussions. at some point i remember him saying he liked Rilo Kiley. also Deftones. fucking Deftones!! i remember talking about that a bit with him more recently

he joined here really young, maybe it was highschool, but possibly it was middle school

i remember when he was a teenager and he posted about his first gay experience. he was pretty open and matter of fact about it, and i remember being caught off guard, because previously he had been posting about a girl he hung out with a lot but wasn't sure if she liked him (or something like that, it's been a long time). it was in the woods after school.

i remember when he went off to college. Notre Dame if i remember correctly, and he was pretty pumped about that. i remember he posted some pics where he had some beers and his face was pretty red haha

when i learned he was going to be a lawyer, i thought that made perfect sense. the endless debates with Trostskilicious stand out in memory most. i mostly tuned out for those to be honest, but it was undeniably a big part of the energy here. he seemed to always have a firm point of view, and he was never shy about advocating for it.

i remember when Eulogy and Caine Walker became a couple and they were never obnoxious about it. so that's pretty rad. reflecting on it now, he also seemed more relaxed/calm/happy/peaceful/stable/less angry, etc. because of it

it struck me as odd that Eulogy seemed to get along in real life with KrazeeStacee, who i considered a nemesis.

i loved the hockey threads, with Ol Couch Ass cheering on his Bolts, Duovamp and Eulogy cheering on the Pens, and me representing my Bruins. so few people i know in my real life give a crap about hockey so it always feels comforting to me interacting with others who really love it too.

i always thought of him as a chicago guy, but i never thought to ask how come the Pens were his team... did he grow up in pennsylvania? oddly, and unrelated to this, i've sometimes thought about what it'd be like to die withought your favorite team ever winning the Cup, so it's nice to know he saw them win it three times. not sure if he was alive during the Lemieux ones, but if so he was probably an infant, so those don't count for this

just wanted to share my memories of the man. never would have imagined him being the sort of guy to pass early. if we're being honest, there are some of us for whom such news might be less of a surprise... but i always just assumed he had a great, long life ahead of him. just shocking. we basically got the chance to see him grow up here.

tehb0lly!!1 said it well Caine, we're thinking of you. my intention with all this by the way, is just to share what i remember of him with you, in the event that it brings you a little comfort or positive feelings. i remember a very cold, lonely feeling, wishing i could just discuss and talk about someone i loved after they had died, just to reminisce and help remember them and feel closer to them, and there was never really any place for it and it was even lonelier than it should have been. sharing the life you two did, i don't imagine that specific dynamic will be a such an issue, but even so, just wanted to share my memories here with you
dude. dude… I can’t even tell you how much I appreciate this. I already know how much I love him, but to see the impact that he had on others over all these years is making my heart swell. this is very, very kind. I know that you and I had pretty minimal interaction when I was active on the board, but this is something I will always remember. thank you.

Old 06-04-2021, 03:57 PM   #46
Caine Walker
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post

So sorry for your loss Caine. I always loved how different the two of you seemed to be and will never forget you posting about how you knew when he was at netphoria because of the furious typing
I appreciate the kind words so much, but THIS made me cackle 😂

Old 06-04-2021, 05:23 PM   #47
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
I always loved how different the two of you seemed to be and will never forget you posting about how you knew when he was at netphoria because of the furious typing
I remember thisssss post haha!

Old 06-04-2021, 06:08 PM   #48
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

eulogy was def the guy who started out the youngest on here

he was forever the "I remember when I was the youngest here" guy

he was here for most of his life. so am I, but for him it's been a bigger percentage

anyhow, still hard to believe he's not with us anymore

Old 06-05-2021, 08:41 AM   #49
Machinist
Ownz

Wow, really shocked to read this, and sending you the biggest hugs Tom. When I first started posting here (as Kahlo) I remember being put in my place time and time again by Eulogy who was usually tired of my bullshit. I did quickly come to realise that he was right, and that my attempts to troll were at best, tedious.

I always appreciated his passion for music, and for bands that generally I ignored - he kind of highlighted my own snobbery, and got the impression he loved what he loved and didn't really care if you agreed with that. He was also conversely quite fragile at points and I did worry that he put too much of himself out there. Again, it seemed like the mark of a man with a big heart.

I will forever love the endless wars he had with Trots, and the often hilarious counterpoints. It was obvious from the start that he was like a dog with a bone - and when it came to arguing he would make a fine lawyer!

I'm so glad he found someone he could love, and loved him back. So few people get that in this life,and I'm sure you will cherish it more than words can say.

Sorry I don't have more to contribute, but please look after yourself. The biggest hugs x

Old 06-05-2021, 08:22 PM   #50
Nimrod's Son
Master of Karate and Friendship

Quote:
I am here to confirm that Chris passed on Monday. I am up for answering questions… but, ya know. be kind.

This is where we first met and I thought it was right to let the group know.
My condolences, Tom. I always liked the kid, even when the feeling wasn't mutual. He was one of my favorite people to troll though, because he was so earnest and everything *mattered*.

I recall when there was a time he was obsessed with a girl who was dating his best friend and needed advice in how to deal with it (probably at age.. 13 or so?) and then bit by bit started realizing on the board - I mean, you could read the progression - that he thought maybe he was gay. And came out here pretty much before anywhere else. The board meant a lot to him.

RIP, Chris.

Last edited by Nimrod's Son : 06-09-2021 at 07:23 PM.

Old 06-05-2021, 11:15 PM   #51
Elvis The Fat Years
007 373 5963

Sorry for your loss.

Old 06-06-2021, 08:51 AM   #52
Ol' Couch Ass
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR View Post

I loved those threads. For a decade they were part of the inevitable marching of time for me on the board- fall was for optimism, spring for soul crushing defeat. Even though the Pens got the best of the Bolts more often than not during the last decade, Eulogy was always fun to bullshit with and never insufferable in victory. I don't know any other Pens fans, so when I saw Sid raise the Cup it usually made me think about Chris and it made me happy for him.

Old 06-09-2021, 02:12 PM   #53
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

Unbelievable and scary how our time can come so suddenly. i remember having a few random Facebook chats with Chris and he was always super articulate and passionate. I wish I could have met him the time i came to Chicago, but pretty sure he had determined I was a loser by then

Take care of yourself Tom. This isn’t fair but you always struck me as a strong and resilient guy. Are there any mementos that you plan to keep that remind you of the good times?

Old 06-09-2021, 06:57 PM   #54
hnibos
Braindead

I'm so, so sorry for your loss Tom.

Old 06-11-2021, 10:41 AM   #55
Caine Walker
Braindead

you all have been so wonderful with sharing these memories. chris would be pretty overwhelmed and I am so appreciative of the support, I can’t even tell you.

the memorial for chris is going to be on saturday July 10th. i’ll post more details when we have things solidified.

Old 06-11-2021, 03:01 PM   #56
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

it's absolutely crazy to me, random netphorian, that he is suddenly dead.

can't imagine how you feel.

Old 06-12-2021, 06:43 PM   #57
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Unhappy

Quote:
you all have been so wonderful with sharing these memories. chris would be pretty overwhelmed and I am so appreciative of the support, I can’t even tell you.

the memorial for chris is going to be on saturday July 10th. i’ll post more details when we have things solidified.
If there are any causes that we can donate to, please let us know.

Old 06-13-2021, 09:55 PM   #58
House of Bread
FKA Siamese33

This is awful. I'm so sorry, Caine.

Old 06-14-2021, 02:06 PM   #59
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Very sorry to hear this. Been reading his posts for for almost 2 decades and sometimes in every day life something will come to mind.

Old 06-15-2021, 11:22 AM   #60
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Needless to say, get vaccinated fuckers