Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-28-2006, 04:29 PM   #1
Super Cres
Ownz

Default The best and worst movies I saw in 2006

Best

Date Movie - Pretty funny, mostly flew under the radar but worth renting for sure. Lots of juvenile laughs but i'll take em however I can get em. B

Wassup Rockers - Weird indie movie. Not sure if most poeple would enjoy this as it was done by the same guy that did Kids and Kids really disturbed some people. C+

Deja Vu - Denzel Washington plays a time traveling cop in this intense thriller! Very good movie and certainly worth a once through. A

Borat - Funny anti-everything comedy by the guy that did Da Ali G Show. If you are offended by anything not a good movie to see. A

Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny - Although I laughed a few times this movie barely made my good list. Not recommend for anyone except fans of the D and potheads. C

Jackass 2 - Quite a bit more funny than the first film. The stunts go to an extreme in most cases. One of my top five films of the year. A+

Strangers with Candy - Another movie which just did not live up to expectations. It needed ALL of the original cast and original locations to make it perfect. It fell just short. C+

The Chumscrubber - This was a rental and a pretty good one at that. The story is about the suburbs and bored kids with perscription drugs. Nothing really too groundbreaking but entertaining. B-

Where the Truth Lies - One of the best sex scenes of a movie that I have seen this year. The story was very good as well. This one is a sleeper and is highly recommended. A

Jarhead - This barely made the list. I like Gyllenhaal as a an actor and he does pretty well in this film. I think I liked the trailer better though. C

Shortbus - Unless I have already told you about this movie personally then I do not recommend it. It is so different from any other movie I have ever seen and I don't think most people will enjoy it. I however appreciated the overall message. A

Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby - From the Applebee's commercial in the middle of the film to the crazy acting from Will Ferrall this movie delivered all around for me. A

Running Scared - Not many people saw this movie as I went in and out of the theaters pretty fast. Has a pretty good plot and a good pace though. I say watch it. B+

Beerfest - You have to love a movie about the best beverage ever created, beer. Plently of laughs and a marginal amount of tits. B

Nacho Libre - I am a Jack Black fan and I enjoyed his exaggerated Spanish accent in the movie. Very funny didn't really catch on like I thought it would. One of the top films of the year for me. A

Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang - A whodunit kinda thriller with characters whom are not exactly as they appear. Really good acting by both Robert Downy Jr. and Val Kilmer. B

Lucky Number Slevin - I have appreciated this movie more as time goes on. It really has grown on me. Another whodunit, I found it a little predictable in some places but still had a few surprises left in it for the end. B

Silent Hill - This movie really stayed true to the video games. No other movie has done that as well as Silent Hill has. It's also interesting to see someone just get their skin completely pulled off. B+

X-Men 3 - I thought this was a good movie and really redeemed the 2nd one. I only hope that the subsequent spinoffs are as good as this one. B

Easy Rider - I know this came out in the 70's but I just this year saw it for the first time. Pretty good movie. Liked Jack Nicholson's character a lot. B-

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Another oldie but goodie with Jack Nicholson in the leading role. Didn't like it as much as the book, which prompted me to see the movie, but good nonetheless. B+

Thank You for Smoking - Satirical look at the smoking industry and another solid performace by Aaron Eckhart. Was as funny if not more funny than I had expected. A

Scary Movie 4 - Best than most of the other movies in the franchise. Very good for laughs. A

The Departed - Very good mobster movie with an ending that is satisfying. Good acting all around and most actors got a Golden Globe nod for their work. A

V for Vendetta - Quite possibly my favorite movie of the year. It has action, it has intrigue, it has Natalie Portman. A+

Stick It - Yes it's the movie about the rebel gymnast who does things her own way to change the system. It has girls in leotards that's the reason I watched it. C

Hustle and Flow - Deserving of all of the praise that it got. You all know you were singing "It's hard out here for a pimp" after you saw this movie. A

Batman Begins - The "much darker than previous Batmans" Batman. Of course anything would be an improvement over the last two Batman movies. B

Click - I didn't go into this movie expecting anything amazing but I was pleasantly surprised. Adam Sandler in a non-non-stop comedy role was nice. Harkend back to Punch Drunk Love in that respect. B+

The Machinst - Christian Bale's turn as a completely emaciated man who is haunted by a murder. Bit of a mystery. Watch it for nothing else than to see a person who looks like the living dead. B+

Clerks II - I was never sold on the whole Kevin Smith is a movie god thing, but this movie has a few good laughs and of course they play a pumpkins song so it gets the nod for good. B

The Ringer - 2nd best movie with Johhny Knoxville this year. The deleted scenes were better than the scenes in the movie though. B

Superman Returns - Don't like the Routh kid who plays Superman, he looks far too wimpy. This movie makes the good list only because of the closeup shot up the bullet hitting Superman in the eye and the fact that Kevin Spacey stabs Superman and leaves him for dead. C

Brick - Indie type film about a brick of cocaine that goes missing and the subsequent film noir plot devices. The main actress looks like the chick who plays Summer in the O.C. B-

The Pink Pather - When was the last time Steve Martin just put out a really great movie? And don't say The Jerk. This movie was mildly entertaining, which saved it from the pit. C

Capote - I like Phillip Semor Hoffman and I think he is great in this movie. I think it was very interesting to see how he befriended the prisoners pretty much for his own gain. B

Little Miss Sunshine - My favorite movie of the year, in a close race. All around a great film and the best dance sequence since Napolean Dynamite. This also just came out on DVD last week so there is no excuse not to see it. A+

Worst

The Breakup - There is a reason this movie failed, it's the same reason that Jennifer Anniston and Vince Vaughn broke up, they have NO chemistry together. None. Also it's hard to make a comedy about something which makes most people depressed. D

The Benchwarmers - A mismatch of comedic actors in an effort that falls short. D

Mission Impossible III - Not as bad as the 2nd MI but still no winner. Also the female lead, Moynihan or whatever, looks like a cheap rip-off of Liv Tyler. D

Hostel - It's only reason it's not getting an F is because of the tits. D

Walk the Line - I fell asleep, this movie just did not keep my interest at all. D-

Snakes on a Plane - So bad it's good? No. So bad it became a horrible monstrosity of epic proportions. F

Mirror Mask - Weird little fantasy movie with a bunch of Jim Henson puppets. Could have been worse. D+

The Libertine - Not only do I hate Victorian Era period pieces but even Johnny Deep looked bored in this movie. F

Pulse - "Oh no, ghosts are coming out of my computer and my cellphone and I ran out of red tape!" I ran out of patience, quickly. F

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest - Snoozefest. Should not have been made. Period. Disappointing. F

American Pie Presents: Band Camp - How is it that the American Pie tag has become worse than the National Lampoon tag? I am embarassed this is on my list. F