Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2019, 08:49 PM   #181
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

I mean I think it’s pretty toxic for anyone to think they could have valid reasons to be hurtful towards others, though I do accept that I deliberately play into a character that people love to hate

And to be honest rbg your treatment of fuzzyroes and the way he never responds in kind is more a reflection of your own vanity and elitism than it is of his wilful ignorance

I don’t agree with fuzzy being banned from the gen board, either.

And you’ve provided people with plenty of fodder yourself, and you’ve provided fuzzy with plenty of reasons to be mean to you, and yet he isn’t. This idea that is ok to say hurtful things to someone because your disagreement with them makes you feel frustrated in an unmanageable way is kinda whack imo

Old 02-20-2019, 08:49 PM   #182
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Anyways, I don't wanna be a buzzkill. I love you all, oh well, whatever never mind.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:50 PM   #183
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Now I’m sure you’ll tell me that I’m arguing about nothing again and being infuriating, so I’ve provided you with the motivation for you to take personal information I’ve shared here, and use it against me

Old 02-20-2019, 08:51 PM   #184
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
And you’ve provided people with plenty of fodder yourself, and you’ve provided fuzzy with plenty of reasons to be mean to you, and yet he isn’t. This idea that is ok to say hurtful things to someone because your disagreement with them makes you feel frustrated in an unmanageable way is kinda whack imo
man you really are something else

Old 02-20-2019, 08:52 PM   #185
run2pee
Minion of Satan

What’s worse, a reliably entertaining character who makes a point of attacking everyone at all times for the slightest perceived flaw

Or a reliably dull adult male who stalks a child around a messageboard haranguing him for the sin of being a child?

The real question is when will we hold you accountable for bullying elphenor, f’lobes

Old 02-20-2019, 08:53 PM   #186
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Pretty sure Elph is in his mid-20s, but again I can't tell if you're being ironic or idiotic.

Anyway, nice diversion.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:54 PM   #187
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Also, I fail to believe trots was a "character" any more than the dad who hit you was a character.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:57 PM   #188
redbreegull

Trots was both an extremely smart, charismatic, funny and lovable guy, and a verbally abusive bully who targeted people unfairly as an expression of his own pain. Both are true, and that's probably why Netphoria is still obsessed with him. And I don't think it was a character really, any more than any of us play up an exaggerated version of ourselves here. It's just not common to encounter someone who makes you like them so much one minute and hate them so much the next, so I guess he seems like a character

Old 02-20-2019, 08:58 PM   #189
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
Trots was both an extremely smart, charismatic, funny and lovable guy, and a verbally abusive bully who targeted people unfairly as an expression of his own pain. Both are true, and that's probably why Netphoria is still obsessed with him. And I don't think it was a character really, any more than any of us play up an exaggerated version of ourselves here. It's just not common to encounter someone who makes you like them so much one minute and hate them so much the next, so I guess he seems like a character

Nailed it

But fuck me, im an idiot

Or ironic

Can’t pick

Old 02-20-2019, 09:00 PM   #190
redbreegull

I mean I'm not taking sides here.

I just know from my own experience there are times he had me in stitches laughing, and times I couldn't sleep at night because I was so upset at him

Old 02-20-2019, 09:10 PM   #191
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Yeah he gave me legit life saving advice in the same hour as saying my death would be Darwinism. Often. I love Netphoria and am also not taking sides, I just feel there is too much to easily overlook about the entirety of a person when you're a character on a message board. I've stuck up for all of you.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:12 PM   #192
ilikeplanets
Braindead

And 3/4 of posters mentioned here have said some deplorable things to me when I was not attacking anyone. Oh fucking well.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:17 PM   #193
Elphenor
Braindead

he had a lot of great takes that influenced the way I thought about things

And while he wasn't personable he was "good" where it matters, very strong sense of social justice

Old 02-20-2019, 09:23 PM   #194
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Just an asshole to individuals and hated most people in particular. But a great idealist!

Old 02-20-2019, 09:25 PM   #195
Elphenor
Braindead

he mentioned the anger was a bit sometimes, Lewis Black

Old 02-20-2019, 09:29 PM   #196
FoolofaTook

i like it how you're all here getting worked up over some dude who's dead and gone while my brand-new, five-star Catering Wheel thread remains ignored.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:48 PM   #197
run2pee
Minion of Satan

F’lobes i already feel bad that i called you reliably dull, sorry

It’s actually ok that u can’t/won’t acknowledge any glimmer of validity to my own perspective on this, i will try to respect yours while continuing to disagree with it

Carry on

Old 02-20-2019, 10:22 PM   #198
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

it's kind of amazing to me how people still stick up for and rationalize, to themselves and others, why trots' behavior on here was acceptable. this thread may misrepresent that while i may have gotten into it with him quite a bit leading up to his netphorian demise, and even though he hated my guts, i always did appreciate and respect his intellect and humor. he was a stimulating person to converse with when he was having a good day. he had a lot to offer. BUT, i don't think any of that justifies excusing his incredibly abusive, repeated behaviors under pretenses of "persona", or "board legacy", or "fabric of the board". that shit ain't more sensible than the woman who stays in an abusive, violent relationship with a guy because she did provoked him and it was all her fault really, and when he's in a good mood he can really be so sweet. make no mistake about that.

yeah, he was great to shoot the shit with and share odd the hot take, yeah he could be cool sometimes, but he was intelligent enough to be held accountable for his decisions. he knows full well the difference between right and wrong, and he often knowingly chose wrong. i don't think that's something to stand up for at all, regardless of his virtues.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:24 PM   #199
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

fwiw i don't resent him, and think being away from here is probably what's best for him and his mental health

Old 02-20-2019, 10:31 PM   #200
yo soy el mejor

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
it's kind of amazing to me how people still stick up for and rationalize, to themselves and others, why trots' behavior on here was acceptable. this thread may misrepresent that while i may have gotten into it with him quite a bit leading up to his netphorian demise, and even though he hated my guts, i always did appreciate and respect his intellect and humor. he was a stimulating person to converse with when he was having a good day. he had a lot to offer. BUT, i don't think any of that justifies excusing his incredibly abusive, repeated behaviors under pretenses of "persona", or "board legacy", or "fabric of the board". that shit ain't more sensible than the woman who stays in an abusive, violent relationship with a guy because she did provoked him and it was all her fault really, and when he's in a good mood he can really be so sweet. make no mistake about that.

yeah, he was great to shoot the shit with and share odd the hot take, yeah he could be cool sometimes, but he was intelligent enough to be held accountable for his decisions. he knows full well the difference between right and wrong, and he often knowingly chose wrong. i don't think that's something to stand up for at all, regardless of his virtues.
is netpho the woman?

Old 02-20-2019, 10:31 PM   #201
yo soy el mejor

trots was a big baby with no chill.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:34 PM   #202
redbreegull

Quote:

Quote:
fwiw i don't resent him, and think being away from here is probably what's best for him and his mental health
this is all true

Old 02-20-2019, 10:59 PM   #203
buzzard
Minion of Satan

It had been a while since we last had one of these free-for-alls, too.

Next up, we scuff at the ground and offer up a softly spoken and ruddy-faced "Hey, man..." to each of those struck in our quivering exchanges of pent-up rage.

Old 02-20-2019, 11:02 PM   #204
FoolofaTook

am i the only one getting sexual vibes from the above post?

Old 02-21-2019, 12:03 AM   #205
Alice
Minion of Satan

Why does everything have to be sexual with you?

Old 02-21-2019, 12:07 AM   #206
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:

Nobody is standing up for his bad behavior tho, right? If im standing up for any proposition here, it’s that reality is complicated, people are multifaceted, and that he was more than “just a bully,” as you in fact point out

Old 02-21-2019, 12:13 AM   #207
run2pee
Minion of Satan

And sorry, but these analogies to the “dad who hit you” or the abusive spouse are fucking inapposite, ok? Those scenarios invlove a power imbalance that is simply not present here, and it’s actually probably disrespectful to actual victims of such relationships to invoke these comparisons to make your point

Trotskilicious was not your dad. In actual fact, he was a prolific troll on an obscure internet messageboard that has an ignore function. Nobody held a gun to your head and forced you to read his posts

Old 02-21-2019, 01:16 AM   #208
ilikeplanets
Braindead

I can't say much for those infamous days around mid-decade (I was busy as busy gets), but I didn't read his posts during the early 2010s and shit before (via archives) as abusive. It clearly turned out that way for some posters, but I think Run To Me and myself are saying that before his meltdown his anger was just successful banter most of the time, and kept the board alive. He even had moments of trying to talk sense into people. I defend him because he would actually listen, if he wasn't having an episode. Nobody is perfect, but I think it's wrong to think of the rest of netphoria as some willing party to abuse. Does no one remember the time before rules? Some of his shit wasn't even so bad. There were literal pedophiles on this board and people are mad about some sad and lonely guy yelling at them. Death threats aren't okay, but I got my fair share of them before Netphoria changed, and it didn't run me off. Idk, I guess people see things that fit their narrative so ultimately this is pointless.

Old 02-21-2019, 01:16 AM   #209
ilikeplanets
Braindead

But fun

Old 02-21-2019, 07:57 AM   #210
yo soy el mejor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
And sorry, but these analogies to the “dad who hit you” or the abusive spouse are fucking inapposite, ok? Those scenarios invlove a power imbalance that is simply not present here, and it’s actually probably disrespectful to actual victims of such relationships to invoke these comparisons to make your point
he used a woman/man analogy, but i feel you and i agree with your assessment of the comparison.