Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2014, 11:59 PM   #331
Elphenor
Braindead

Hahaha. Not really.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:04 AM   #332
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

here's something, we got a new kitten and she loves me and she's got a heart murmur and is going to die soon

Old 05-12-2014, 12:06 AM   #333
Elphenor
Braindead

Hey an old friend of mine just contacted me.
I fucked our friendship up because Im psycho.

I didn't think she was ever going to talk to me again. This makes me happy.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:22 AM   #334
Trotskilicious
Banned

fuck everything

Old 05-12-2014, 01:19 AM   #335
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Reprise, I'm going to abuse your thread now.
I'd be first in line to make a remark like "how about you use a diary or lifejournal?" but fuck it. That's part of my problem.
I feel like I have no right to say that life occasionally really sucks. That I suck. Or both.

Once you've talked your way through conversations with a counselor or a therapist, you can tell yourself so many wise things, you can argue back and forth with yourself, the "pro-tips" how to deal with it are in your head.
That's fine, but what's missing is being able to just say out loud to anybody that you feel like shit. A counselor gets paid to listen to your self-important rants.

"White guilt" is not the right term for what I mean, maybe "privilege guilt." Along the lines of not having the right to be overwhelmed or not able to deal with something properly. Or to just rant.
I don't have cancer, my home didn't get hit by a tornado, I'm not living in a war. No right to complain, there are always people who are dealing with much more than I am. People (who don't know much about me as a private person) tend to say things like "look at you, you're so lucky!"

I get categorized as a winner.
One might assume that's more desirable than being judged as a loser, but I'd like to say, you know what? Fuck you, and fuck what you think. You know shit. You make assumptions based on income, you make remarks about my 'career', but how does that make things automatically perfect or easy for me?
Yes, I like my work, lucky me, but a 'career' means ultimately shit to me. Yes, by now I'm doing well financially. Nice, makes many things easy, but I can't buy myself a less troublesome family, or less self-doubt, less problems in a relationship, I can't make people I care about not die. Many things scare me, I'm not good at dealing with rougher times. I have the same human personal problems everybody knows.

But nobody wants to hear that or would take it seriously, it's not respetable to say life sucks as a '"winner." I am the one with the furtunate life, this illusion has to fucking work in their eyes. I have to function and be happy, because I'm so lucky. What a downer if I started crying right in the middle of a fucking fancy dinner at the restaurant and yell that I'm sick of having to be the successful foreigner with the charming smile.

Dear diary, now I'm done. This is what depression looks like, too. (with bad grammar and spelling, because I suck at that, too.)

Last edited by pavementtune : 05-12-2014 at 01:27 AM.

Old 05-12-2014, 01:25 AM   #336
Elphenor
Braindead

Everyone has a right to be sad. Regardless of how "lucky" they are. We all have our problems.

I can't stand this attitude that it's not okay to be sad or that you should be ashamed of being upset.
People shouldn't be afraid to cry in public and no one should think it's weird.

Old 05-12-2014, 01:27 AM   #337
Elphenor
Braindead

When you look at things soberly life is a bummer. We have the unfortunate burden of being self-aware animals in a universe that doesn't give a shit about us.

Old 05-12-2014, 01:32 AM   #338
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

I'd sympathize but i just got diagnosed with cancer and my home was hit by a tornado.

But seriously, I definitely believe its possible to have money and be unhappy though when you have none having money is pretty often all that's standing between you and happiness. Just about 30 000 bucks right now would pretty much fix everything wrong with my life

Ok well, no... not all, but most of it anyway. Beyond that though, there's feeling fulfilled by your life. I know that what would make me feel this way could be attained a lot more easily with money. Of course, often if your career isn't what's gonna make you feel fulfilled, then the time you spend having one and earning money prevents you from doing anything else.

Old 05-12-2014, 01:55 AM   #339
Elphenor
Braindead

I always thought there was nothing as punk or rebellious as Morrissey.
The whole chest puffing macho thing is weak.

"It's so easy to laugh, it's so easy to hate
It takes strength to be gentle and kind"

It takes guts to cry in public.

Old 05-12-2014, 01:56 AM   #340
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
Well, yes Elph. I am not ashamed and the reasonable part of me knows that I have a right Titel fall apart, too. It's just that people don't expect it, they have their own shit, I'd feel like I'd be letting them down if I dropped the functioning persona.
As for crying in public - not for me. Punk rock in my bones, I'd rather throw the table.

Boy exploding - 30.000?
Cheer me up, tell me what's there to get for that money that makes a fucking difference.

Well I might have exaggerated when i said it would fix everything. It would fix a very big thing though.. but now you're gonna make me talk about something i didn't want to talk about anymore cause it annoys everyone (with reason). Let's just say, i'd use it to make someone i love be legal in this country instead of them having no real official home.

P.s.: Everytime someone mentions my username it reminds me how much i hate it now. For one if nothing else, i'm definitely not a boy anymore. Still a great song though... Everywhere else since i've been known as Milk. I bet that's taken here anyway.

Old 05-12-2014, 02:00 AM   #341
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
I always thought there was nothing as punk or rebellious as Morrissey.
The whole chest puffing macho thing is weak.

"It's so easy to laugh, it's so easy to hate
It takes strength to be gentle and kind"

It takes guts to cry in public.

No it takes not giving a fuck about anyone. I've done it, i wasn't having guts. I just don't give a shit as the opinion of a stranger holds absolutely no value to me. As it should be for everyone.

I suppose though if you mean crying in public in front of people who know you i suppose that different, but if theyre your friends they shouldnt judge you on it. Well....unless you pull that kind of shit all the time, in which case get ready to not have friends anymore. And can we blame them.

Old 05-12-2014, 02:06 AM   #342
Elphenor
Braindead

It just takes guts to be who you really are without a socially acceptable mask

Old 05-12-2014, 02:56 AM   #343
Elphenor
Braindead

Im not really literally talking about crying just emotions in general idk

Old 05-12-2014, 03:01 AM   #344
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

A lot of people display their emotions in public. Like anger, you see this one a lot.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:09 AM   #345
Elphenor
Braindead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEZF...e_gdata_player

Old 05-12-2014, 08:36 AM   #346
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavementtune View Post
Once you've talked your way through conversations with a counselor or a therapist, you can tell yourself so many wise things, you can argue back and forth with yourself, the "pro-tips" how to deal with it are in your head.
That's fine, but what's missing is being able to just say out loud to anybody that you feel like shit. A counselor gets paid to listen to your self-important rants.

"White guilt" is not the right term for what I mean, maybe "privilege guilt." Along the lines of not having the right to be overwhelmed or not able to deal with something properly. Or to just rant.
I don't have cancer, my home didn't get hit by a tornado, I'm not living in a war. No right to complain, there are always people who are dealing with much more than I am. People (who don't know much about me as a private person) tend to say things like "look at you, you're so lucky!"

I get categorized as a winner.
One might assume that's more desirable than being judged as a loser, but I'd like to say, you know what? Fuck you, and fuck what you think. You know shit. You make assumptions based on income, you make remarks about my 'career', but how does that make things automatically perfect or easy for me?
Yes, I like my work, lucky me, but a 'career' means ultimately shit to me. Yes, by now I'm doing well financially. Nice, makes many things easy, but I can't buy myself a less troublesome family, or less self-doubt, less problems in a relationship, I can't make people I care about not die. Many things scare me, I'm not good at dealing with rougher times. I have the same human personal problems everybody knows.

But nobody wants to hear that or would take it seriously, it's not respetable to say life sucks as a '"winner." I am the one with the furtunate life, this illusion has to fucking work in their eyes. I have to function and be happy, because I'm so lucky. What a downer if I started crying right in the middle of a fucking fancy dinner at the restaurant and yell that I'm sick of having to be the successful foreigner with the charming smile.

Dear diary, now I'm done. This is what depression looks like, too. (with bad grammar and spelling, because I suck at that, too.)
I don't know really what to say, but this makes sense to me and I hope you find an outlet for all of this besides netphoria. But netphoria is a good start.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:42 AM   #347
MusicMan4

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
I just don't give a shit as the opinion of a stranger holds absolutely no value to me. As it should be for everyone.
we're trying to have a society here you asshole

Old 05-12-2014, 08:54 AM   #348
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

clinical studies show that career fulfilment and material wealth don't impact happiness as much as feeling connected to a community and having healthy relationships with other human beings...have you thought about joining an interest group of some kind?

Old 05-12-2014, 09:02 AM   #349
MusicMan4

clinical studies

Old 05-12-2014, 09:12 AM   #350
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

i don't know why i have always annoyed you so much

Old 05-12-2014, 09:27 AM   #351
vixnix
Socialphobic

There are no winners...we're all in the same boat.

If you joined an interest group you might have fun, I think that makes most people feel better...that's why I joined my choir, and it has been great, everyone else is just as crazy as I am, so I can be open and honest with them. There's something inexplicable about why it's fun, and why having good uncomplicated fun a couple of times a week helps me cope better with everything else. It just works...

Old 05-12-2014, 09:59 AM   #352
vixnix
Socialphobic

That does sound a bit like depression though...not enjoying things...

I'm emotionally shot to hell today. I had to run playgroup for preschoolers 9:30-11:30 finishing up with music time, then run off to a funeral at at neighbouring church to play organ. It's too extreme. I went from twinkle twinkle to the 23rd psalm and crying teenage grandchildren in the space of 30 minutes.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:19 AM   #353
vixnix
Socialphobic

Yeah I can definitely appreciate that. For me it's about as good as it gets - I've spent most of my life on the bottom rungs of the ladder getting knocked about, none of it has been terribly fun. I just get by the best I can and try to be thankful for the little things. It seems like all I can really do...when I get really down I watch comedy at youtube, like Louis C.K. and Chris Rock, or Arrested Development reruns. And I make appointments with my therapists to talk it out, adjust my meds, etc.

But choir helps a lot. It's just occupational therapy I guess...

Old 05-12-2014, 11:39 AM   #354
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Everyone has a right to be sad. Regardless of how "lucky" they are. We all have our probems.
I work for the american cancer society. In all of our documents, it basically says you shouldnt tolerate people telling you to 'cheer up' or 'stay positive' because its not productive, it doesnt help, and ultimately the person telling you this when you have cancer are being self centered idiots.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:10 PM   #355
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
clinical studies show that career fulfilment and material wealth don't impact happiness as much as feeling connected to a community and having healthy relationships with other human beings...
Last time i hung out with someone that wasn't family or partner was about a year ago. The time before that, probably a year more. I think it might be why i'm depressed.

Though really one of my problem is i can't seem to care enough about others to maintain friendships. Like i think oh i want friends sure, but then the times i had them,i barely keep in contact. Though i think part of it is that i feel like my life is so unlike theirs that they just can't relate and i feel like...inadequate. And it's rare the people i felt i could be myself around and i'm not in any way into playing a role in life. I don't want to have to filter what i can't or cant talk about, pretend that my life is this or that way when it isn't.

Like for years i occasionally hung out with one of my childhood friends. He's married, is a college teacher and has a kid now. What do our lives have in common? Nothing at all. Last time i saw him was at his marriage, about 5 years back. I don't have a career so i have nothing to talk about job wise, my marital..well love life, whatever its called if you're not married, is so completely fucked up compared to anyone else that its frankly hard to grasp for people and i rather not talk about it really cause i don't want to have to explain it or be judged on it.

So what? i'm gonna tell them about what i did in Minecraft over the weekend? I don't think so. Well there's my brother i can talk to about these things yeah but he's even more fucked up than i am. And then there's the fact i have low tolerance for behavior that is not in agreement with my value or moral system.

So really i worked out that while i think i want friends, i don't really, it's a hassle and is more stress than anything. The only problem is knowing no one makes it hard to advance in life as the more people you know, the more it opens up opportunities for change or if nothing else, new experiences, and also having no friends means no one to turn to in times of need. There's my family but my parents won't be there forever. Beyond them, i have nothing.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:13 PM   #356
Elphenor
Braindead

If you're on Netphoria 10 years after SP had any relevance whatsoever, chances are you suffer from some form of depression.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:15 PM   #357
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Quote:
If you're on Netphoria 10 years after SP had any relevance whatsoever, chances are you suffer from some form of depression.
Truer words rarely spoken.

Imagine...i came back after 13 years! What the fuck does that say about me? I don't even give a shit about SP. I must have just hit rock bottom obviously. Wow, time to wake the fuck up. I need an intervention.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:34 PM   #358
Elphenor
Braindead

How do you live on your own very quickly?

Old 05-12-2014, 09:47 PM   #359
noyen
Immortal

try homelessness for a few days. youll start figuring out what you need and what you don't.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:53 PM   #360
Elphenor
Braindead

That's kind of the plan.
Ill probably live in my car.