Virgo

just a serious discourse about whether silverchair was sick or not

Old 05-05-2022, 04:37 AM   #32
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
but as soon as i saw all the features on this new record my first thought was "oh no". that just signals "needed other people to write the song"
I think it's simply to avoid criticism. Experimental sounds + feature = You can't pin it on me.

The guy has a paralyzing fear of standing behind his own work because "people will compare it to Freak Show".

Those Thieving Birds Part 3 is just mocking his legacy. No one wants to hear him to wail operatically like Liza Minelli on a track that's as artistically significant as the original. It's Billy Corgan playing the kazoo to punish fans. And I've heard the podcast -Billy Corgan was the blueprint. "You followed a madman into the abyss".

Old 05-05-2022, 04:50 AM   #33
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

His previous solo album, Talk, has some great tracks. But like everything else, he self-sabotaged and cancelled all promotion and touring for it. Put down the wine and valium ffs and take up yoga.

Old 05-05-2022, 09:41 PM   #34
slunken
Virgo

it's pure lead singer syndrome to be like "i'm famous for this one thing therefore i don't want to do it anymore" and just throw away your band mates but like literally he's not a pop star. I hate him for this.

Old 05-06-2022, 12:27 PM   #35
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Red face

Just want to say that as a total Silverchair ignoramus, watching all the videos in this thread in order was quite a fuckin' trip for me

Didn't dislike anything I just heard necessarily, but I'm also trying to imagine an alternate timeline where Kurt had a song on the Shrek the Third soundtrack and has just formed a supergroup with Justin Timberlake and Pusha

Old 05-06-2022, 05:29 PM   #36
slunken
Virgo

I can't believe the third shred movie was called "shrek the third" and not just shrek 3. TIL

Old 05-06-2022, 05:30 PM   #37
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funbags View Post
Put down the wine and valium ffs and take up yoga.
and stop wearing eyeliner!

Old 05-06-2022, 05:32 PM   #38
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
s reported by The Guardian, Daniel Johns has pleaded guilty to the charge of "high-range drink driving" and could potentially face jail time as part of his punishment. Johns' lawyer, Bryan Wrench, made an attempt to move the case along with haste, citing the mental toll due to the "anxiety" it was causing the musician, who has an extensive public history of mental health struggles. Magistrate Ian Cheetham denied the request and a sentence is expected to be handed down on June 22.
lol "anxiety"

Old 05-06-2022, 05:34 PM   #39
slunken
Virgo

so sick of all these [badly]-written narratives that are like "as someone who suffers from PTSD, trauma, and anxiety...."

Old 05-06-2022, 05:35 PM   #40
slunken
Virgo

HOW ABOUT THIS THEORY: STOP BEING SUCH A [redacted]

:hmmm:

Old 05-06-2022, 09:46 PM   #41
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
Just want to say that as a total Silverchair ignoramus, watching all the videos in this thread in order was quite a fuckin' trip for me

Old 05-07-2022, 01:11 PM   #42
slunken
Virgo

way better than the chair ngl

Old 05-07-2022, 01:16 PM   #43
slunken
Virgo

and then dan's vocals come in and you're like "oh wait haha this is stupid"

Old 05-07-2022, 02:27 PM   #44
slunken
Virgo

it's really weird to me how "having a crippling anxiety disorder" does not stop Daniel from seeking fame

:thinking:

Old 05-08-2022, 09:56 PM   #45
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

He seems a bit crippled by anxiety. The way he touches his eye with his hand seems very frail.

Old 05-10-2022, 06:50 PM   #46
slunken
Virgo

that's the interview where he admits to getting drunk beforehand, funbags

Old 05-10-2022, 06:56 PM   #47
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funbags View Post
crippled by anxiety
>_>

Old 05-13-2022, 03:28 PM   #48
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

im coming to appreciate how deeply held your convictions are here slunken. i don't feel the same way, but i respect the fire you're bringing here.

to me, the version of things he gave in the podcast was sufficiently believable. they caught lightning in a bottle as teenagers. hit a level of fame and exposure he likely wasn't emotionally prepared for. developed legit and serious issues with depression, eating, anxiety, etc. then his bandmates were mostly off being the dudes they are, surfing and enjoying their new money. then its like.. hey danny boy, let's go out there and rock some more, aye mate? and he's like.. i'm really struggling here.

i have no doubt that the pressure they and others around the band put on him was real, and i don't doubt that he was far and away the driving creative force.

and yes, it's likely he mismanaged some things emotionally and built up resentments in his head that might not've been as strong in the other direction. and abused drugs/alcohol. i don't think that makes him a phony or whatever, it is just kind of messy

then in terms of allegedly considering himself too good for the style of music that made him successful, im not really feeling that. i don't know if we've been hearing old man bill harp on it for too long or what, but it seems clear he should be able to pursue whatever styles he wants. if it flops, that's on him.

and yes, as you say.. sure, he's got a substance abuse problem, he's seeking treatment for it.. i don't think that makes him a fuckup or a failure or whatever. and he wants to keep evolving his sound, that's cool with me. i don't recall him personally saying that he is the next brian eno or whatever? i don't really see the collaborations as weaknesses. it makes sense to me that it's more fun and probably easier to create music when you can have someone else in the room contributing. some of them do stink. but i don't really remember him claiming to be this generational genious that delivers art fully formed with no one else touching it, right? (others have said things like this about him in the podcast i think, but he didn't)

long story short, i dig the thread and the discussion \m/

Old 05-13-2022, 06:10 PM   #49
slunken
Virgo

i agree with everything you said 100%

my issue is that it's an all-too-common lead singer trait to be like "you know what - fuck this. i can be a big star on my own."

what really got my goat was the report about his drunk-driving incident. they spun it as "anxiety, ptsd, and trauma". like NO, he was just a drunk guy making a bad decision.

Old 05-13-2022, 06:14 PM   #50
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR View Post
i don't recall him personally saying that he is the next brian eno or whatever?
maybe not those exact words but he does think of himself as a brian wilson figure

it's more cringe than when billy compares himself to lennon or bowie

Old 05-13-2022, 08:11 PM   #51
slunken
Virgo

like if dan was struggling so much why was he still seeking fame? his mates are on the record of saying "yea whatever dan was on about we were on board" so why did dan throw them away?

it's like he thought he could be the male natalie imbruglia. like, he's not a pop star at fucking all.

lol i'm getting mad about it again.

Old 05-13-2022, 08:15 PM   #52
slunken
Virgo

his success would have afforded him to do these side projects while still maintaining the money machine

lead singer syndrome gets guys up their own asses who think "yea who needs this fucking band! i'm the fucking star!"

Old 05-13-2022, 08:16 PM   #53
slunken
Virgo

they don't realize that the magic of their retarded little band is somehow the magic million dollar ticket

Old 05-13-2022, 08:18 PM   #54
slunken
Virgo

just so pissed off about lead singers with giant egos that literally piss away fame and fortune because they are little crybabies

Old 05-14-2022, 05:04 AM   #55
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
just so pissed off about lead singers with giant egos that literally piss away fame and fortune because they are little crybabies
I feel this, but to be fair this has always been a tenet in pop rock music. The kind of people who are drawn to being in the lead singer in a rock band role are not unlike politicians in leadership roles. Usually not amazing personalities.

Old 05-14-2022, 05:07 AM   #56
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
they don't realize that the magic of their retarded little band is somehow the magic million dollar ticket

Old 05-14-2022, 05:10 PM   #57
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
I feel this, but to be fair this has always been a tenet in pop rock music. The kind of people who are drawn to being in the lead singer in a rock band role are not unlike politicians in leadership roles. Usually not amazing personalities.
THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR A GROWN MAN TO ACT LIKE A BIG BABY!!!!!!!

Old 05-15-2022, 04:58 AM   #58
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
like if dan was struggling so much why was he still seeking fame? his mates are on the record of saying "yea whatever dan was on about we were on board" so why did dan throw them away?

it's like he thought he could be the male natalie imbruglia. like, he's not a pop star at fucking all.

lol i'm getting mad about it again.
i mean

the type of person who does this is also same type of person who goes "OMG THE WORLD NEEDS TO SEE ME ON A STAGE SINGING THE SONGS I WROTE ABOUT BREAKING UP WITH MY EX GF"

rockn'roll is a manchild's game if we're being honest

Old 05-15-2022, 04:58 AM   #59
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

put another dime in the jukebox baby

Old 05-20-2022, 12:44 AM   #60
Dogfighter28
ILL KILL UR DOG

Imagine caring this much about a grunge afterthought