Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2022, 05:48 PM   #541
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionheart0 View Post
Seemed pretty innocent. Kids having fun with their dad and some other guys who happen to be in their lives. Didn’t seem like they cared about the crowd or any attention except from their dad. Jeez.
The other day someone posted here some IG set and there's the kid literally in his dad's arms, blatantly lying down, one shoe missing. During a radio show interview.

At that age he's either seeking his famous rockstar dad's attention or he's getting too much attention. Just my 2¢.

Old 05-21-2022, 06:04 PM   #542
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlter View Post
The other day someone posted here some IG set and there's the kid literally in his dad's arms, blatantly lying down, one shoe missing. During a radio show interview.

At that age he's either seeking his famous rockstar dad's attention or he's getting too much attention. Just my 2¢.
or he's a proud dad that wants to spend every moment possible with his kids. obviously something you've never had.

no one asked for your 2 pennies.

Old 05-21-2022, 06:12 PM   #543
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
or he's a proud dad that wants to spend every moment possible with his kids. obviously something you've never had.

no one asked for your 2 pennies.
It's not your fault. He was a troubled man and he failed you but remember, it is not your fault.

Old 05-22-2022, 11:06 AM   #544
spguitar0
Demi-God

Birmingham,AL

Old 05-22-2022, 01:21 PM   #545
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Went to the Birmingham show from Atlanta. The venue was a local brewery with a stage in the back, so no matter any issues I had with the show, it was a really cool experience seeing them in such an intimate venue. Some random thoughts:

-The CYR songs translated better live than I expected. I knew that more of the album than we probably expected was guitars, but Jeff and James really play off of each other on those songs with the atmospheric guitars, and it made me realize the album may be more of a band effort than we expected. Jeff in particular shined on those songs. He went between the atmospheric synth-y sound and more traditional lead lines that had an almost David Gilmour-ish quality to them. It was one of a few times where I could specifically point to something Jeff did and really say it elevated the songs.

-That being said, "Black Forest, Black Hills" was rough go. Musically it sounded fine, but it was placed right after two really great performances ("Cherub Rock" and "Zero"). To go from that to Black Forest was just like sucking the air out of the room. The crowd just had a blank look on its face the whole song. It was similar to when they played "Run2Me" right after "1979" on the Manson tour, the only difference being Black Forest is not as objectively awful of a song.

-"Solara" can be added to the list of cool songs that got slaughtered in the studio. Every time I've seen it live, it does really well, and the interlude in the middle sounded like 1990s level Pumpkins jamming.

-I am usually not a fan of the "let's play SP hits on just acoustic guitars," but the "Tonight, Tonight" with just Billy and James was one of the highlights of the show. To hear their guitars play off each other like that was so revealing of how differently the two of them approach the same chord progression and strumming patterns. It was really the "soul" of the SP sound: James and Billy doing their guitar weaving.

-Can't believe I'm about to say this, but goddamn if "FOL" of all things was not one of the coolest moments of the show. The lyrics are still ridiculous, but they really filled out the arrangement on that song. If I'd been played this with no context, I could have imagined this being some sort of MCIS outtake. We even got a Jack Bates bass solo during the song of all fucking things (which made Billy and James crack up).

-"Silverfuck" made it worth the price of admission. I do not know why that one song in particular, but it works from beginning to end. I like the arrangement which sticks closer to the album with some of the jamming at the end. Again, the jamming sounded like it could have been prime 1990s era "Silverfuck".

-Jimmy remains a legend and a freak of nature. I saw some people saying he looked "worn out" recently, but I felt he - somehow - looked like he playing at full efficiency and making it look damn easy.

-I get the complaints about Jack. It's shallow, but he really does have zero stage presence and looks like he walked to the venue from his desk job somewhere, but ultimately, I can see why Billy hired him and keeps using him. In terms of his playing style and bass tone, he's the closest to D'arcy we've gotten.

-On a negative, I did not like the "Once in a Lifetime" cover. As I said in another thread, Billy pulled it off in 2000 because he had the energy and voice, but it just doesn't work now. This was another one where (at least from where I stood) people seemed to tune out a bit. Hell, I would have taken one of the better CYR songs over this.

-Billy is struggling with his voice on a few of the older songs. I am not referring to the dropped consonants and lack of screaming (although those both are still a factor), but he just seems to be having a harder time hitting the notes and holding his power in general. During "Stand Inside Your Love," he was really struggling to hit the higher notes in the chorus. I realize age plays a large factor in voices, and we've seen some big name rock stars having diminishing returns on vocals (see Bon Jovi, Vince Neil, James Hetfield), so it just comes with the turf, but it really was the first time I'd seen it at this level. You could kind of tell he was holding back when I saw them in 2018 and 2019, but he still pulled it off pretty effectively then.

-Jeff. He really is a wild card. As I said above, I thought the work he did on the CYR songs was really noteworthy. Also, as others have said, when he sticks to the script and just adds riffs and minor fills to the oldies, it really makes the band sound fucking massive. But all of the heavy metal wank and dive-bombs sticks out like a sore thumb. I thought maybe it might translate better in person, but hearing dive-bombs, shredding, and whammy squeals before "Quiet" was just so...wrong in every way.

Last edited by themadcaplaughs : 05-24-2022 at 12:30 PM.

Old 05-22-2022, 10:05 PM   #546
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

I was hoping we would get new songs on this tour that could possibly begin some kind of redemption period from the flaming hot garbage that was the Cyr songs.. that were atrocious and forgettable.

Old 05-23-2022, 05:19 AM   #547
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
Went to the Birmingham show from Atlanta. The venue was a local brewery with a stage in the back, so no matter any issues I had with the show, it was a really cool experience seeing them in such an intimate venue. Some random thoughts:

-The CYR songs translated better live than I expected. I knew that more of the album than we probably expected was guitars, but Jeff and James really play off of each other on those songs with the atmospheric guitars, and it made me realize the album may be more of a band effort than we expected. Jeff in particular shined on those songs. He went between the atmospheric synth-y sound and more traditional lead lines that had an almost David Gilmour-ish quality to them. It was one of a few times where I could specifically point to something Jeff did and really say it elevated the songs.

-That being said, "Black Forest, Black Hills" was rough go. Musically it sounded fine, but it was placed right after two really great performances ("Cherub Rock" and "Zero"). To go from that to Black Forest was just like sucking the air out of the room. The crowd just had a blank look on its face the whole song. It was similar to when they played "Run2Me" right after "1979" on the Manson tour, the only difference being Black Forest is not as objectively awful of a song.

-"Solara" can be added to the list of cool songs that got slaughtered in the studio. Every time I've seen it live, it does really well, and the interlude in the middle sounded like 1990s level Pumpkins jamming.

-I am usually not a fan of the "let's play SP hits on just acoustic guitars," but the "Tonight, Tonight" with just Billy and James was one of the highlights of the show. To hear their guitars play off each other like that was so revealing of how differently the two of them approach the same chord progression and strumming patterns. It was really the "soul" of the SP sound: James and Billy doing their guitar weaving.

-Can't believe I'm about to say this, but goddman if "FOL" of all things was not one of the coolest moments of the show. The lyrics are still ridiculous, but they really filled out the arrangement on that song. If I'd been played this with no context, I could have imagined this being some sort of MCIS outtake. We even got a Jack Bates bass solo during the song of all fucking things (which made Billy and James crack up).

-"Silverfuck" made it worth the price of admission. I do not know why that one song in particular, but it works from beginning to end. I like the arrangement which sticks closer to the album with some of the jamming at the end. Again, the jamming sounded like it could have been prime 1990s era "Silverfuck".

-Jimmy remains a legend and a freak of nature. I saw some people saying he looked "worn out" recently, but I felt he - somehow - looked like he playing at full efficiency and making it look damn easy.

-I get the complaints about Jack. It's shallow, but he really does have zero stage presence and looks like he walked to the venue from his desk job somewhere, but ultimately, I can see why Billy hired him and keeps using him. In terms of his playing style and bass tone, he's the closest to D'arcy we've gotten.

-On a negative, I did not like the "Once in a Lifetime" cover. As I said in another thread, Billy pulled it off in 2000 because he had the energy and voice, but it just doesn't work now. This was another one where (at least from where I stood) people seemed to tune out a bit. Hell, I would have taken one of the better CYR songs over this.

-Billy is struggling with his voice on a few of the older songs. I am not referring to the dropped consonants and lack of screaming (although those both are still a factor), but he just seems to be having a harder time hitting the notes and holding his power in general. During "Stand Inside Your Love," he was really struggling to hit the higher notes in the chorus. I realize age plays a large factor in voices, and we've seen some big name rock stars having diminishing returns on vocals (see Bon Jovi, Vince Neil, James Hetfield), so it just comes with the turf, but it really was the first time I'd seen it at this level. You could kind of tell he was holding back when I saw them in 2018 and 2019, but he still pulled it off pretty effectively then.

-Jeff. He really is a wild card. As I said above, I thought the work he did on the CYR songs was really noteworthy. Also, as others have said, when he sticks to the script and just adds riffs and minor fills to the oldies, it really makes the band sound fucking massive. But all of the heavy metal wank and dive-bombs sticks out like a sore thumb. I thought maybe it might translate better in person, but hearing dive-bombs, shredding, and whammy squeals before "Quiet" was just so...wrong in every way.

Old 05-23-2022, 11:54 AM   #548
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Good lord Stand Inside Your Love sounded fucking terrible in Birmingham (watched a YT video)

So it took what, a couple weeks for the band to go back to shit?

Were they really playing at a brewery?

Lmfao this band sucks

Old 05-23-2022, 01:08 PM   #549
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

If you cherry pick moments from the set, there are absolutely points where the band is on fire and rivals the 1990s lineup. People were too busy watching videos of "Silverfuck," "X.Y.U." and "Hello Kitty Kat" to go and look at the fact that he still has the same struggles with certain songs he's had for years. Unfortunately, Billy's voice will just be a fact of life moving forward. In regards to "Stand Inside Your Love," people have pointed out he really hasn't been able to sing it very well since he started playing it again in 2007.

It was a brewery with an outside venue that holds up to 2,000.

Old 05-23-2022, 01:10 PM   #550
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

I'd rather cherry ray

Old 05-23-2022, 01:34 PM   #551
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
It was a brewery with an outside venue that holds up to 2,000.
"They weren't playing the arena, they were playing the theatre. I've been on those shit tours. You have to be an older band to know what I mean by that. I know there's a lot of people who would love to play for 2,500 people, but when you've been at the top and you're somewhere on the other side."

Two years ago he was talking like that and now he plays for 2,000 on the outside venue of a brewery? Jeez.

Old 05-23-2022, 02:14 PM   #552
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

I remember that quote. I think it was a reason Corgan gave as to why Chris Cornell might have been suffering from depression (which is such a Corgan thing to assume).

It was a Live Nation venue. As a former Ticketmaster employee, my guess would be that they could use that venue for relatively cheap, they haven't played Alabama in a while so there were people who would see the show, and there probably wasn't enough demand in Birmingham to play any other bigger venues that would have worked with the tour. It looks like most of/all the other shows were at amphitheaters. It definitely had a bit of a "county fair" vibe, but again, it was cool to see the the Billy/James/Jimmy combo in such a small setting. It probably would have been a lot sadder if it had been the Byrne lineup.

Also, he has the Jane's Addiction tour coming up soon, so he can look forward to yet another arena trek playing to venues that aren't even at 1/3 capacity, to what is probably a comparable number of fans as the smaller shows, and letting his ego be satiated as the final notes of "FOL" echo through the thousands of empty seats.

Old 05-23-2022, 02:30 PM   #553
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Question

Quote:
Unfortunately, Billy's voice will just be a fact of life moving forward.
I have seen both Wolverine and Batman inject themselves with an unstable substance that completely revives them while also turning them into rage monsters, ultimately burning them out completely. Why can't Billy take some of this before a show and just give us like one last actually good tour before his heart explodes?

Old 05-23-2022, 02:54 PM   #554
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

New album please so the old talk about bollos unability to sing well could stop.
Lets talk about his vibratos and his voice up front levels on forthcoming opera

Old 05-23-2022, 03:40 PM   #555
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

that sounds like a really fun plan, brotha 4 life - you mind bringing the snacksss & drinksss as well or is that going to by MY job again i'm ALWAYS bringing the gosh darn s&d's!

Old 05-23-2022, 03:53 PM   #556
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
I remember that quote. I think it was a reason Corgan gave as to why Chris Cornell might have been suffering from depression (which is such a Corgan thing to assume).
Yes he was talking about CC and then in true Corgan's fashion started with his trademark overdramatic nonsense "There was a period of my life where everywhere I went I was recognized — and just one day it stopped. It's kind of a haunting feeling."

Lmao classic WPC banter

Old 05-24-2022, 08:51 AM   #557
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

I bring the drinks drugs and some sushi

Old 05-24-2022, 07:03 PM   #558
vitaldust
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: a melting apocalyptic jungle bleeding out of me like a dream

portsmouth Va just got cancelled due to non-covid illness

i just got there from birmingham, AL and the security guard at the gate confirmed that they were all sick, at least as far as he was told.

Old 05-24-2022, 07:04 PM   #559
vitaldust
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:

-Can't believe I'm about to say this, but goddamn if "FOL" of all things was not one of the coolest moments of the show. The lyrics are still ridiculous, but they really filled out the arrangement on that song. If I'd been played this with no context, I could have imagined this being some sort of MCIS outtake. We even got a Jack Bates bass solo during the song of all fucking things (which made Billy and James crack up).

birmingham was an incredible show. one of the very best i've ever seen them play (30+)

Old 05-24-2022, 08:03 PM   #560
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaldust View Post
portsmouth Va just got cancelled due to non-covid illness

i just got there from birmingham, AL and the security guard at the gate confirmed that they were all sick, at least as far as he was told.
oh shit

hope they're better by friday

or we get something like https://www.splra.org/wiki/index.php...Tsp2000-02-19B

Old 05-25-2022, 06:56 PM   #561
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

The band is playing tonight. No official mention from them about last night so far. That's weird for a band that rarely cancels their concerts.

Old 05-25-2022, 07:09 PM   #562
Ram27
dumb

huh. probably still contagious. especially [or only worth mentioning, i guess] for covid

the tour machine must go on

Old 05-26-2022, 09:26 AM   #563
srt4b
Apocalyptic Poster

this shit right here has to fucking stop now!

Last edited by srt4b : 05-26-2022 at 09:37 AM.

Old 05-26-2022, 08:56 PM   #564
vitaldust
Apocalyptic Poster

I was at the Greensboro show. Billy sounded a little sick and said he 'can sing but can't talk very well.' which was pretty evident. I think he sang especially well, considering.

Who knows what it was but I can tell you that spending three days in the south coming from up north I felt near death from all the fucking pollen. I even lost my voice for a day. It was brutal.

They jammed a bit more (some for filler between songs) and for a bit longer it seemed on account of it all.

A smokin' Starla and Silverfuck were the highlights. Great crowd. Great show.

Old 05-27-2022, 12:06 AM   #565
deadlecturer
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt4b View Post

Hey you guys, I agree. James needs to stop fixing his hair and PLAYING SOME GUITAR. He has some noodling to drown out.

Old 05-27-2022, 04:26 AM   #566
Spaldz
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt4b View Post
Yeah fuck 4K footage of the band. Why is there even an audience?

Old 05-27-2022, 04:53 AM   #567
TheAlter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaldz View Post
Why is there even an audience?
Tbh looks like it's getting smaller and smaller these days [that's what she said]

Old 05-27-2022, 05:02 AM   #568
inkless
Ownz

Old 05-27-2022, 08:56 AM   #569
strtj
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
The band is playing tonight. No official mention from them about last night so far. That's weird for a band that rarely cancels their concerts.
only one explanation
big JC is back on the h train, and he brought Belly Cargo with him

Old 05-27-2022, 09:45 AM   #570
Spaldz
Apocalyptic Poster

Looks like a couple of audience recordings of 2022-05-25 have surfaced. Leopheard's doesn't appear to be on archive.org (only youtube currently)

and

https://archive.org/details/tsp2022-...shynomi.flac24

Quote:
Smashing Pumpkins
2022-05-25
Greensboro, NC
White Oak Amphitheatre
Rock Invasion 2 Tour

Source: iPhone 12 > Voice Record Pro > 24/48 WAV File
Transfer: WAV(M) > Logic Pro 10.7.2 for splits and EQ > 24/48 Export > xACT > FLAC 8
Taper: shynomi

Tracklist:

1. Intro
2. The Colour of Love
3. Today
4. Bullet With Butterfly Wings
5. Ugly
6. Drown
7. Quiet
8. Cyr
9. Once In A Lifetime (Talking Heads Cover)
10. Solara
11. Eye
12. Ava Adore
13. Tonight, Tonight (Acoustic) (Billy Corgan, James Iha)
14. Starla
15. Cherub Rock
16. Zero
17. FOL
18. 1979
19. Silverfuck

Band:

Billy Corgan
Jack Bates
James Iha
Jeff Schroeder
Jimmy Chamberlin

Notes:
Band was tight and seemed to be having a lot of fun. This was just coming off a canceled show the night before in Portsmouth, VA due to non COVID-related illness from seemingly Billy. Had to record on my iPhone 12 since I wasn't able to get a Zoom H4 in but glad it was at least captured. Recording turned out a bit muffled with pushed levels but definitely listenable after some EQ'ing and adjustments.

**This is the 24 bit version. 16 bit file set available

- Nate
Also full video of the concert