ovary
Ownz

"tankies"

Old 08-20-2020, 08:03 PM   #272
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squish Squash View Post
•What about Biden’s record makes you think he will appoint judges who aren’t right wing pieces of shit?

•Biden has the same chance of winning Missouri as Howie Hawkins does so stop screaming at me for picking the one who doesn’t want poor people to die.
He was the first major dem politician to support gay marriage and reversed his position on the Hyde amendment.

But uh, even if I didn’t know for certain (I do), we know who Trump has appointed already.

Just admit that you don’t actually give a fuck about people who are actually in trouble, ok?

Old 08-20-2020, 08:06 PM   #273
Eulogy
huh

And whatever you’re in Missouri but your poisonous attitude contributes to people in Pennsylvania Wisconsin and Michigan and Texas and North Carolina and Ohio and Florida feeling the same way.

I probably agree with you on policy in every way. I don’t want to spout cliches. But four more years of this will do irreparable harm to a lot of people. Biden isn’t going to fix everything. But the idea that his win would result in a worse Trump is completely unfounded and, frankly, very dumb.

Old 08-20-2020, 08:08 PM   #274
Eulogy
huh

We currently are dealing with a lawsuit to repeal the ACA that the party in power supports. ?????

The ACA isn’t perfect by any means but if it’s repealed people will literally die when they wouldn’t otherwise. This isn’t hard.

Old 08-20-2020, 08:08 PM   #275
buzzard
Minion of Satan

"ISIS is making a tremendous amount of money because they have certain oil camps, certain areas of oil that they took away . . . They have some in Syria, some in Iraq. I would bomb the shit out of 'em. I would just bomb those suckers. That’s right. I’d blow up the pipes . . . I’d blow up every single inch. There would be nothing left. And you know what, you’ll get Exxon to come in there and in two months, you ever see these guys, how good they are, the great oil companies? They will rebuild that sucker, brand new, it will be beautiful."
- Donald Trump, 2015

What if Biden starts some brand new wars, though? He may.

Old 08-20-2020, 08:12 PM   #276
Eulogy
huh

Here’s where I will bitch about Obama claiming we didn’t need an individual mandate when Hillary knew it was necessary

Ok done with that complaint for now.

Old 08-20-2020, 08:13 PM   #277
Eulogy
huh

And you know what, I will apologize for hurling personal insults because that doesn’t help anything. But this administration has been even worse than I feared. We cannot do it again.

Old 08-20-2020, 08:22 PM   #278
buzzard
Minion of Satan

"I see again the forest fires are starting . . . They’re starting again in California. I said, you gotta clean your floors, you gotta clean your forests — there are many, many years of leaves and broken trees and they’re like, like, so flammable, you touch them and it goes up . . . Maybe we’re just going to have to make them pay for it because they don’t listen to us."
- President Trump on Thursday

What if Biden lacks the creativity to end the California wildfires with solutions such as a leaf-raking program?

Old 08-20-2020, 08:31 PM   #279
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
And whatever you’re in Missouri but your poisonous attitude contributes to people in Pennsylvania Wisconsin and Michigan and Texas and North Carolina and Ohio and Florida feeling the same way.

I probably agree with you on policy in every way. I don’t want to spout cliches. But four more years of this will do irreparable harm to a lot of people. Biden isn’t going to fix everything. But the idea that his win would result in a worse Trump is completely unfounded and, frankly, very dumb.
Do you think I’m going around telling people in those states to vote Green? Who am I “poisoning”? People on a Smashing Pumpkins message board? I haven’t encountered anyone who remotely agrees with me outside of **** and she still said she’s voting Biden, so I’m really not sure who you think I’m convincing not to vote for him.

Old 08-20-2020, 08:37 PM   #280
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Do you think I’m going around telling people in those states to vote Green? Who am I “poisoning”? People on a Smashing Pumpkins message board? I haven’t encountered anyone who remotely agrees with me outside of **** and she still said she’s voting Biden, so I’m really not sure who you think I’m convincing not to vote for him.
It just strikes me that it’s a cancer that spreads. If you’re keeping this to yourself other than on here, then fine. We disagree but I think ideas like yours are legitimately dangerous. Again, I’m sorry for insulting you because I’m sure we agree on everything. It’s just frustrating, for both of us I know.

We’re fucked forever and I really do think it’s important to try to make us less fucked if at all possible? I understand your point that Missouri is probably a lost cause, but I think it would be more helpful to try to do whatever you could to defeat this absolute monster.

Old 08-20-2020, 08:41 PM   #281
Eulogy
huh

I don’t want to fight with people that I agree with : (

Old 08-20-2020, 08:49 PM   #282
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Notice how he ignores all the arguments that are harder to refute and just zeroes in on the "why does one vote in Missouri matter anyway" angle?

Like, I don't really care who you, personally, vote for, Squishy Toes. Discussing that is just a proxy for discussing the wider idea of if refusing to mitigate harm in a utilitarian manner when optimal outcomes are not feasible is a sensible course of action. I think it's not and that it's very stupid, and you're not giving compelling arguments otherwise.

Old 08-20-2020, 08:52 PM   #283
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Who am I “poisoning”?
With your reluctance to engage in an intellectually honest manner, you have poisoned this discussion and the thread has been harmed for it.

Old 08-20-2020, 10:10 PM   #284
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

This could’ve been a pleasant, intelligent conversation about butts. But no.

Old 08-20-2020, 11:24 PM   #285
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Have some respect for the thread!

Old 08-20-2020, 11:39 PM   #286
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Actually, I've changed my mind.

If the thread continues to be completely awful for a while longer, it will ultimately trigger a backlash and we'll get high quality debate composed entirely of sound logic about four pages from now.

Old 08-21-2020, 03:51 AM   #287
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post

Old 08-21-2020, 09:29 AM   #288
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

The real poisonous thinking is believing we should vote for candidates like Biden because the republicans are even worse when there is another option. If all of the people who said “look I am not crazy about Biden but we have to stop Trump” voted green it would kill neoliberalism. You guys are completely brainwashed. It’s fine, I understand because I was too until 2019. Just pay more attention to the things people like Biden support.

Old 08-21-2020, 10:24 AM   #289
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Also some (most) democrats in America have beliefs that align with Biden. Candidates for a party are designed by committee. It’s one of the best things in theory about democracy - most of the votes are in the middle of the political spectrum so in order to win and by nature the winner attracts the most votes from the center of the Gaussian distribution.

Old 08-21-2020, 10:58 AM   #290
buzzard
Minion of Satan

It's tough to decide whose ideas to go with from reading this thread, but I'm leaning towards the guy that suddenly formed his perspective a year ago.

Old 08-21-2020, 11:11 AM   #291
Ol' Couch Ass
Socialphobic

I think it's pretty adorable that Squish Squash thinks there will be anything resembling a free and fair election in 2024 if Trump gets four more years.

Old 08-21-2020, 11:46 AM   #292
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
The real poisonous thinking is believing we should vote for candidates like Biden because the republicans are even worse when there is another option. If all of the people who said “look I am not crazy about Biden but we have to stop Trump” voted green it would kill neoliberalism. You guys are completely brainwashed. It’s fine, I understand because I was too until 2019. Just pay more attention to the things people like Biden support.
if everyone agreed with you all our problems would be solved

Old 08-21-2020, 11:59 AM   #293
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

why won't the workers rise up?

Old 08-21-2020, 12:04 PM   #294
Disco King
Minion of Satan

It's easy, guys. All we have to do is elect a political party that has never even managed to get any federal congressional seats or significant caucuses in any state legislature, into the highest office in the country in three months.

Old 08-21-2020, 12:46 PM   #295
redbreegull

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
What if Biden starts some brand new wars, though? He may.
hey anything is possible, therefore it makes more sense to let the guy who is a saber-rattling fascist and has brought the US to the brink of war with both a nuclear-capable rogue state and a regional powerhouse in the Middle East get re-elected.

everyone knows that the US political system is a clockwork pendulum and allowing tons of truly truly awful shit happen now will result in conservative and centrist liberals supporting a far left candidate in just four more years even though Trump's first term resulted in less support for leftist candidates. blim blam, just like magic. what's political science?

Old 08-21-2020, 12:47 PM   #296
redbreegull

don't blame me when tucker carlson is president in four years. no, I don't have any particular reason to believe this is how the system works, but I've checked with the stars and the planets

Old 08-21-2020, 12:48 PM   #297
redbreegull

and facebook

Old 08-21-2020, 12:50 PM   #298
redbreegull

hindsight is 2024

Old 08-21-2020, 01:40 PM   #299
redbreegull

it also occurs to me that squish squash must have tremendous faith in the American electoral system to believe things will course correct if we just give them time

Old 08-21-2020, 01:51 PM   #300
Squish Squash
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
don't blame me when tucker carlson is president in four years. no, I don't have any particular reason to believe this is how the system works, but I've checked with the stars and the planets
You’re completely and totally brainwashed by the Democrats.