Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2022, 12:04 PM   #1
FollowAsILead
Pledge

Lightbulb Run2Me - A Dumpster Fire or Misplaced and Misunderstood? (Video Included)

I've never gotten the hate for Run2Me, the song itself. I get that the title spelled using a number 2 instead of "to" is an interesting choice (personally, I like it because of the aesthetic of the word flow [I don't know how else to explain that]) and makes most people cringe.

The song itself I can see why it puts people off due to the placement. It's essentially a theme song on an otherwise rock album. I don't know how else it could have been released, except by solo on a soundtrack. If there was an 80's throwback fantasy movie named "Run2Me" it would have been perfect as a title track.

Example Video

People complain the lyrics are just "Run to me, run to me" over and over again, but no one ever complained that the Neverending Story is like "Storrrrryyyyyyy oh oh oh oh oh, the Neverending Storrrry" a bunch of times. Naw, it's loved. It's Nostalgic. Even Stranger Things used it in a sequence in their 3rd Season.

In a context of a 80's style Fantasy theme song, overall I think Run2Me is a jammin' tune, and very enjoyable. I can see why it's disliked where it is, but I don't understand the overall hate of the song itself.

What to you makes Run2Me the worst Pumpkins track? And more than "It sucks" or "It's garbage" as a reply. Can you quantify your dislike?

Does my explanation or video reference change your perspective on the song any?

Let's talk this out.

Old 05-20-2022, 02:28 PM   #2
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Congratulations on giving this song more though than anyone else on the planet; including Billy Corgan.

Old 05-20-2022, 03:33 PM   #3
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Unhappy

I mean, it's fine. Looks like I listened to it five times, and that's on the high side for that album. I like it well enough, though I also like "Death From Above" and that seems pretty equally hated around here, so what do I know. Let the man do some Erasure once in a blue moon, as a treat, you joyless fucks.

Your video's fun. What the fuck is "Rumble."

Old 05-20-2022, 04:02 PM   #4
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
What the fuck is "Rumble."
Republican YouTube. Not as censored and their algorithms are not biased.

Old 05-20-2022, 04:04 PM   #5
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

it certainly made for a good "piss break" back in 2015

that's about the best I can say for it

Old 05-20-2022, 04:19 PM   #6
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryLoren View Post
Republican YouTube. Not as censored and their algorithms are not biased.
Having now read about Rumble and its prominent users like Alex Jones and Dan Bongino, and its partnership with chucklefuck "news" station OAN, I will say to your last claim, "Uh huh."

Old 05-20-2022, 04:21 PM   #7
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Question

Can someone who isn't as tired as I am pls make a parody thread about beloved poster Run2Pee

Love u buddy but it's been a tough week, hope you're recovering well

Old 05-20-2022, 04:29 PM   #8
Spaceboy88
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
"I like it well enough, though I also like "Death From Above" and that seems pretty equally hated around here"
People really hate that song? It's one of the better songs from that era I think, but wtf do I know—I think "Pomp and Circumstances" is one of the best songs on Zeitgeist and people hate that too.

Old 05-20-2022, 05:24 PM   #9
FollowAsILead
Pledge

Death from above is fantastic, though I suppose there's always going to be people who don't enjoy certain songs, no matter what they are.

I don't really judge a video streaming platform based on some of it's users. There's an equal amount of people using YouTube that you could critisize.

I don't know that it's worth making it a political issue. For instance, I mean, if you don't like Alex Jones and Alex Jones uses an iPhone, I don't think abandoning or shunning Apple is the answer.

YouTube has a monopoly and too much control on what you can and cannot post. It needs a competetive platform (or more!).

I've had my own fair share of issues using YouTube in the past, and for me it doesn't seem like a platform that's worth the hassle. Rumble appears to have a solid player, and the best chance at competing with YouTube going into the future. I think that's healthy for the market.

Old 05-20-2022, 05:53 PM   #10
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Death, run2pee and pomp are equally horrible...
But i guess those songs will be topped by an opera song on the firthcoming synthy album.

Old 05-20-2022, 05:55 PM   #11
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Floowlead...are u a lost/ banned sadmachine. How come you switched to netzphoria?

Old 05-20-2022, 06:23 PM   #12
FollowAsILead
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothahi4L View Post
Floowlead...are u a lost?

I know exactly where I am.

..and I know the meaning of it all.

Old 05-20-2022, 06:35 PM   #13
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowAsILead View Post

What to you makes Run2Me the worst Pumpkins track? And more than "It sucks" or "It's garbage" as a reply. Can you quantify your dislike?
OK, a hard 10.

Old 05-20-2022, 06:37 PM   #14
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Also, fuck Rumble on principle. We don’t need right wing alternatives to everything just to make safe spaces for white supremacist snowflakes and mass murderers.

Old 05-21-2022, 12:59 PM   #15
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

I don’t hate it. It reminds me a bit of the Neverending Story theme. I take it like it’s a cute song about loving your child or pet or whatever.

Old 05-21-2022, 01:22 PM   #16
Reyngel
Apocalyptic Poster

I didn’t read that long first post. But yeah. Dumpster fire.

Old 05-21-2022, 02:05 PM   #17
Baffler_Meal
Mothmonsterman

Old 05-21-2022, 02:37 PM   #18
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Thumbs down

Quote:
For instance, I mean, if you don't like Alex Jones and Alex Jones uses an iPhone, I don't think abandoning or shunning Apple is the answer.
"Alex Jones wears clothes, and yet you also wear clothes. Interesting." Come on, man.

I agree it sucks that YouTube is essentially a monopoly—I would even say Google is evil—but if the only way you can compete in the market is by welcoming all the psychos who got deplatformed for hate speech, peddling lies, etc., that's a really shitty business model.

Old 05-21-2022, 02:58 PM   #19
FollowAsILead
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyngel View Post
I didn’t read that long first post.

It's not for everybody but it is for One and All

Old 05-23-2022, 05:27 AM   #20
trev
charm

are there any mods left that can ban all these far-right / alt-right apologists?

i mean fucking rumble, seriously...

Old 05-23-2022, 09:37 AM   #21
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

After years of being unable to view this incredible work of art, I found the original video streaming at MTV Germany.

Enjoy!

https://www.mtv.de/musikvideos/9n9pqj/run2me

Old 05-23-2022, 09:40 AM   #22
FollowAsILead
Pledge

Quote:

..and I know the meaning of it all.
Ok, maybe not it all, but I definitely know the distance to the sun.

....Siri, what's the distance to the sun?

Old 05-23-2022, 09:42 AM   #23
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

The song certainly isn't as bad as I remember it, but maybe post-Cyr I am less surprised. I can't say I like it, enjoy listening to it, or need to ever hear it again. In 2015 it sounded like he was trying to badly reproduce Eye or one of the late-90s electronic songs (Waiting, etc.), as he hadn't really done anything like that since then. I am excluding TFE because it was still guitar-centered.

Old 05-23-2022, 09:45 AM   #24
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

Articles on Rumble, ground zero for misinformation, such as gaslighting us into thinking Run2Me was a misunderstood masterpiece.

Old 05-23-2022, 09:52 AM   #25
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Angry

There's also something highly offensive to me in that he cross-posted this exact thing to the Reddit group as well

I was looking to see if someone had been to that Corden taping, to find out if the Pumpkins had played another song off-air (to explain Jimmy's ridiculous kit), to be clear. Fuck Reddit

Old 05-23-2022, 12:11 PM   #26
BlissedandGone2
Minion of Satan

Location: You don't play guitar hero if you are a guitar hero.

What is wrong with this place

Old 05-23-2022, 12:36 PM   #27
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

A mean, a major part of why it's hated is the fact that it sounds like a bad Cars B-side from 1988, but sure: the lyrics are, like you said, repetitive as hell, incredibly obvious, and overly saccharine. The synthy stuff on Cyr was implemented better by and large.

The target audience for The Neverending Story is not the same as the target audience for a 2014 SP track (or maybe it is, I don't know).

Billy can do whatever he wants, don't get me wrong, but this is the same guy who wrote countless songs that were leagues beyond this. It's disappointing.

So yeah, dumpster fire. He's done better on his worst days.

For what it's worth though I don't even think it's the worst track on Monuments, which is an album I largely can't fucking stand and I'd argue marks the nadir of his career.

Old 05-23-2022, 03:45 PM   #28
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

i don't consider Monuments the nadir of his career but Run2Me is certainly in the running for worst Pumpy songs ever

Old 05-23-2022, 07:57 PM   #29
FollowAsILead
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post

The target audience for The Neverending Story is not the same as the target audience for a 2014 SP track (or maybe it is, I don't know).

I think it is. The track is definitely giving off strong 80's vibes, and instantly made me think of 80's fantasy film themes. This would appeal to his core audience who would have grown up with those movies/songs. It would make sense in that ironically Billy was accused of trying to appeal to the younger crowds at the time, but if you look at it from a different angle, that doesn't appear to be the case.

The Neverending Story and Labyrinth also play with the idea that the main chracter realizes they're part of the story they're reading, where Billy plays with the idea that the listener is part of the musical story they're hearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post

Billy can do whatever he wants, don't get me wrong, but this is the same guy who wrote countless songs that were leagues beyond this.

Well I think it's comparing apples to oranges (apples + oranjes). The songs you're referring to hit their mark, as did Run2Me. It was just a different mark.

Old 05-23-2022, 08:27 PM   #30
ilikeplanets
Braindead

I don't like the lyrics, melody, or instrumentation