Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2022, 12:41 AM   #91
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Truck05 View Post
I agree with the "lifeless" sound and recorded in different areas/ times.

My question. Do you think this is because of a money issue? Like getting everyone together, recording for 6 months plus, etc. is too costly compared to album sales or ROI? Or is this just the way things are done nowadays.
It’s just the way things are done these days. Long gone are the days of elaborate 500k productions lasting 6 months or more on analog tape with manual tape edits. Records just don’t get made like that anymore.

Old 09-28-2022, 01:00 AM   #92
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
i think

setting aside the horrible personality, stupid costumes and embarassing makeup

the guy is a family man in his mid 50s. there's no replacing the energy, determination and raw passion of a single 20 year old.

that musical output in his 20s was mind bendingly good

so given this context, I'm happy he's still putting out music. even if it kinda sucks most of the time, there's still some excitement of hearing what the old bastards been working on
I was empathizing with this until learning that they built songs from the drums up. That's disjointed and uninspired. They don't need to live together in some studio house, but at least collaborate and have a damn direction.

Old 09-28-2022, 01:10 AM   #93
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

first listen I thought this song was quite alright.. but a few listens more.. it's still that kind of grating sound of SP5.. and yeah the sound of the truck backing up at the beginning.. and the backward "shiny" at the end doesn't help

Old 09-28-2022, 01:18 AM   #94
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

JC records his drums at home. Grab a sandwich and then go lay down a drum take for the new album before taking the kid to school. Jimmy to himself: It's cool I'm a hotshot, I'm good at anticipating what the vocals are going to be and respond to them in my brilliant platinum-record playing

Old 09-28-2022, 01:20 AM   #95
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Old 09-28-2022, 01:52 AM   #96
Big Truck05
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
JC records his drums at home. Grab a sandwich and then go lay down a drum take for the new album before taking the kid to school. Jimmy to himself: It's cool I'm a hotshot, I'm good at anticipating what the vocals are going to be and respond to them in my brilliant platinum-record playing
Seriously... at this point, he knows exactly what Billy is going to do. He had it figured our on day 7.

Old 09-28-2022, 01:53 AM   #97
Big Truck05
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
It’s just the way things are done these days. Long gone are the days of elaborate 500k productions lasting 6 months or more on analog tape with manual tape edits. Records just don’t get made like that anymore.
I guess I long for the days of mega producers and no digital content. Shame.

Old 09-28-2022, 02:13 AM   #98
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
Hey, don't underestimate the school drop-off creativity burst! It gives me a rush every time

Old 09-28-2022, 02:31 AM   #99
russticles
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Truck05 View Post
If this was, and it should be, a long format discussion, they would be able to dive way deeper than what we have now.
I'm sure we'll hear more once he figures out how to monetize these stories.

Old 09-28-2022, 03:49 AM   #100
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
I was empathizing with this until learning that they built songs from the drums up. That's disjointed and uninspired. They don't need to live together in some studio house, but at least collaborate and have a damn direction.
They don’t build from the drums up, the record from the drums up. They’ve been doing that since gish. Most records are built that way.

Old 09-28-2022, 04:06 AM   #101
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourruseoffools View Post
its interesting for sure... though its kinda tough for them to be like "ok now we are discussing the everlasting gaze" but just have them go on and on about the music video and how it was a tough sell as a pop single... then right as they are closing out he briefly briefly mentions the process of them recording it at pumpkinland... like talk more about this PLEASE... like talk about the songwriting... go in depth about how you took a rough and undesirable demo such as disco king and polished it into a perfect fucking song... they wont do this because it shows holes in their current process
You’re young right? Advice from someone who posted absolute garbage in my teen years.. edit your thoughts down. Think them through before you post. Actually ditch that last line, it’s incredibly presumptuous. The rest I was with you on… and then you end it by completely talking out of your ass. I know you believe what you’re saying there but it’s a stretch and you’re likely not right.

Old 09-28-2022, 04:37 AM   #102
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

I agree with u all.
They are wirking from home, sendung files....and more or less bolliboy doing the rest...
Well..some reverbs on voices, although the vocal on good bye is such fronty......
Somehow it sounds alienated, cold, dry, stiff.....all in all an improvement with heavy drums and solos

Old 09-28-2022, 05:06 AM   #103
Green Eyes
Demi-God

How’s it like to always be living in a glass half empty world, my brotha?

Old 09-28-2022, 06:40 AM   #104
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Well, i feel fine my boy... But please go back to sad machine camp ...this is not a place for praising the latest bolly album

This place is dark, cynical and funny

Old 09-28-2022, 08:21 AM   #105
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothahi4L View Post
Well, i feel fine my boy... But please go back to sad machine camp ...this is not a place for praising the latest bolly album

Netphoria is basically SP1 and smashingpumpkins@reddit is SP5

Old 09-28-2022, 09:01 AM   #106
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Angry

Quote:
you took a rough and undesirable demo such as disco king
Kid, that "rough and undesirable demo" posts here; have a little fucking respect for a regular

Old 09-28-2022, 09:09 AM   #107
ourruseoffools
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
Advice from someone who posted absolute garbage in my teen years.. edit your thoughts down. Think them through before you post. Actually ditch that last line, it’s incredibly presumptuous.
Piss and shit. Maybe balls. Mmmmmmmm

Old 09-28-2022, 09:35 AM   #108
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
They don’t build from the drums up, the record from the drums up. They’ve been doing that since gish. Most records are built that way.
Well in that case, I guess they can have my empathy back.

Old 09-28-2022, 10:43 AM   #109
Green Eyes
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothahi4L View Post

I’ve been around here for 20 years now so I think I know more about this place than you, Mr Serbian Borat.

You may be dark and cynical and your english is pretty funny, I’ll give you that.

Old 09-28-2022, 11:33 AM   #110
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
Some are; some studios record to analogue. It's usually done by musicians who care deeply about their craft, hate the sound of digital, and strive to get the perfect sound with the use of vintage instruments and great studio rooms. There's not many great studio rooms left, unfortunately.

Billy does not do this. You'd think he would, based on how much he used to go on about the equipment and guitars and amps and pedals. So either he's not bothered, or he specifically wants the sound we are hearing.

Maybe it's that, and it's like And Justice For All in the sense that Lars Ulrich said that was the sound they wanted, when people complained about the lack of bass.

Old 09-28-2022, 11:39 AM   #111
spguitar0
Demi-God

Looks like BC and JC did the drums and guitars in the same studio to me.
Drums in Blackbird Nashville studio:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CMNK1Abhu-B/

Last edited by spguitar0 : 09-28-2022 at 11:48 AM.

Old 09-28-2022, 12:29 PM   #112
cork_soaker
full of longing

Old 09-28-2022, 01:19 PM   #113
BlissedandGone2
Minion of Satan

Location: You don't play guitar hero if you are a guitar hero.

People picturing Jimmy just laying down totally random beats and sending them to Corgan to go "Hmm I think I can put a song on top of this one" 😂, y'all are crazy.

Also, I think there's a big misunderstanding in this group that recording using DAWs and sharing tracks remotely (both things we're not even sure were done here) automatically lead to the lifeless sound we're getting out of these tracks. Recording live to tape doesn't necessarily equate to good music, see: Zeitgeist.

Old 09-28-2022, 01:29 PM   #114
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
then right as they are closing out he briefly briefly mentions the process of them recording it at pumpkinland... like talk more about this PLEASE...
haven't and don't intend to listen to this garbage ass corgan corporate podcast, but as far as stuff like this goes I truly am starting to think he's doing it on purpose to piss off the fans out of spite

OMG
THIS IS BILLY'S QUIET RESIGNATION

Old 09-28-2022, 01:35 PM   #115
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Talking

ramirez

Old 09-28-2022, 02:56 PM   #116
Reyngel
Apocalyptic Poster

His vocals for the live Beguiled sounded good. But this track’s vocals are the super cringe vibrato dropped consonants. Gross. Pass.

Old 09-28-2022, 03:43 PM   #117
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

So was the rest of the album recorded in Nashville studios? For the whole year?

It more likely Billy was putting down guitar tracks for Jimmy to drum to. Then once they'd gotten the drum takes right, he could take the files away and work on them in another studio.

I know the SD were all recorded first but at least they were in the same studio, and also were recorded to analogue tape.

Old 09-28-2022, 03:43 PM   #118
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Uhhhh my swedish viking. 257 posts in 20 years...congrats...

Well, peace my boy.... i'm refilling my half empty glass now with white russian, take a strong swedish snus called thunder, light a little spliff and try to see if beguiled and butterfly suite are really that flat

Old 09-28-2022, 04:12 PM   #119
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post
So was the rest of the album recorded in Nashville studios? For the whole year?

It more likely Billy was putting down guitar tracks for Jimmy to drum to. Then once they'd gotten the drum takes right, he could take the files away and work on them in another studio.

I know the SD were all recorded first but at least they were in the same studio, and also were recorded to analogue tape.
Billy demoed songs, sometimes with Jimmy as they are neighbours. James and Jeff got the demos and recorded/created based on them and sent them back to Billy.

Later on they would get together to rehearse/play the songs having that patch work as a starting point. The song could totally change during the process until the final recording session.

Old 09-28-2022, 07:36 PM   #120
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
Billy demoed songs, sometimes with Jimmy as they are neighbours. James and Jeff got the demos and recorded/created based on them and sent them back to Billy.

Later on they would get together to rehearse/play the songs having that patch work as a starting point. The song could totally change during the process until the final recording session.
one thing i've learned from the podcast is that jimmy is a lot dumber than fans would think