Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2020, 06:25 PM   #121
Ram27
dumb

wow TIL billboard is even more meaningless than i thot

it's hard to even rank. they're all equally good and equally bad, if that makes sense. all the highlights and lowlights cancel out.

except with CYR. that's dead last no contest

Old 12-09-2020, 06:29 PM   #122
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

yeah, it is probably #3 on the alt rock charts, right after Ten and Nevermind

Old 12-09-2020, 06:34 PM   #123
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

man after all these years Big Willie still coming in third place to PJ and Nirvana

Old 12-09-2020, 07:20 PM   #124
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Okay, Ohms hit #5 on the Billboard charts, the Top 200, so stop cherry-picking statistics, it got fucking merc’d on the charts

Old 12-09-2020, 07:57 PM   #125
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

a huge flop for Willy

Old 12-09-2020, 08:36 PM   #126
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Zeit>Oceania>Cyr>Shiny V1>Monuments by a significantly large margin

Old 12-09-2020, 08:39 PM   #127
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

I'd put Shiny V1 dead last by a long shot

Last edited by enthusaroo : 12-09-2020 at 09:00 PM.

Old 12-09-2020, 08:43 PM   #128
YA5H
Demi-God

Most music I love doesn't even chart. SP is wealthy enough do make music that they like. Even if they released SD or MCIS it wouldn't chart high today in 2020. Only in the 90s would that happen. The world had changed drastically in 25 years.

Old 12-09-2020, 08:43 PM   #129
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Only one of these albums has purple blood, therefore it wins

Can’t believe some of u dummies can’t concede Cyr is the least painful of the modern “sp” records. The songwriting is strong even if u can’t get down with the vocals or production or whatever

Old 12-09-2020, 08:56 PM   #130
YA5H
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
Only one of these albums has purple blood, therefore it wins

Can’t believe some of u dummies can’t concede Cyr is the least painful of the modern “sp” records. The songwriting is strong even if u can’t get down with the vocals or production or whatever
I agree my brother! Purple Blood is fantastic! I loved future embrace, I thought it was a great solo record. This is the future embrace but with more of an SP sound. Confessions of a Dopamine addict to me is such a great song. Anno Satano, save your tears, wrath, color of your love, Birch Grove l, save your tears, Telegenix ,minerva, Shaudenfreud, and even Starcraft and adrenaline is growing on me. I don't think there's one song that doesn't have something interesting going for it. You know a good album from when people pick their top 10 and no one can agree on the same 10.

Old 12-09-2020, 09:08 PM   #131
YA5H
Demi-God

This is the most consistent SP album since Machina. Zeitgeist had some great songs, monuments had a few, shiny vol 1 had a few, oceania was the closest as far as consistency but Cyr takes the cake.

Old 12-09-2020, 09:19 PM   #132
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Purple Blood is a mediocre song and it's about as good as it gets on Cyr.

Old 12-09-2020, 09:21 PM   #133
Ihaguitar
Apocalyptic Poster

I've already listened to Cyr more than any release post Machina.

Old 12-09-2020, 09:31 PM   #134
YA5H
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthusaroo View Post
Purple Blood is a mediocre song and it's about as good as it gets on Cyr.
I disagree. Let's be honest most netphorians are listening to this album on youtube or spotify streams on crappy speakers. Listen to the actual album ripped to flac or 320bps on good headphones. I know it won't change your taste but it will give you a much better appreciation of what SP was trying to accomplish. Like I always say to each their own. I personally love electronic SP. BCs voice just seems to fit. That being said I love MCIS and Machina so let's see what happens with the trilogy album. But for now I'll take 20 interesting pop songs and be happy my favorite 90s band is still creating new tunes.

Old 12-09-2020, 09:50 PM   #135
YA5H
Demi-God

Plus we all know tyger, tyger is the stand out track lol. Honestly "save your tears" should of been the lead single. It's like "this time" + "Hummer' put together plus something new. Second single should of been "Birch Grove" it's a modern day "Disarm". Billy's biggest problem it that he's not good at picking singles/songs to represent the album. Remember he wanted "jellybelly" to be the lead single off of MCIS (amazing track but an awful single choice, can you imagine. BWBW was the right choice).

Old 12-09-2020, 09:52 PM   #136
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKeyZ View Post
Top rock albums? Is there much new "rock" music? Cyr, rock?
it's not that much of a stretch compared to some of the shit they've called "rock" in the recent past just to compensate for the fact the genre barely (if even) exists in the mainstream anymore

Old 12-09-2020, 09:59 PM   #137
YA5H
Demi-God

The more I listen to this album I gotta say that Wyttch doesn't fit. It's not a filler song or even a throw away song it just doesn't hold the same feel as the rest of Cyr.

Old 12-09-2020, 10:05 PM   #138
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
Zeit>Oceania>Cyr>Shiny V1>Monuments by a significantly large margin
well, we agree on Zeit at the top spot & that's the important thing

Old 12-09-2020, 10:13 PM   #139
YA5H
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Goldberg View Post
it's not that much of a stretch compared to some of the shit they've called "rock" in the recent past just to compensate for the fact the genre barely (if even) exists in the mainstream anymore
Forget the "mainstream" it was a fluke that the pumpkins were ever mainstream. I love this band because they have FU money. They have enough "mainstream" songs to play arenas. Let Corgan do his thing and then he will come full circle and appease his "mainstream" fans but in the mean time I'm swooning over save your tears and most of this album. The guys 50+ years old and he's still got it. If it's not fans slice of pie then wait for his next rock opera that he's currently working on. Sometimes artist need to just change it up and do something for themselves. I can appreciate that... In fact I wish he would continue on this path. This album is currently underated. Remember not all of us grew up on SD. Many of us came late to the party post even MCIS and grew up on Adore and Machina and then discovered the Classics.

Old 12-09-2020, 10:15 PM   #140
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

i became a fan right after Zeitgeist and i don't know what in the fuck you are talking about nor how it relates to my own post save for the use of the word "mainstream"

in short, i don't quite think you got what i meant there friend

Old 12-09-2020, 10:19 PM   #141
YA5H
Demi-God

Quote:
i became a fan right after Zeitgeist and i don't know what in the fuck you are talking about nor how it relates to my own post save for the use of the word "mainstream"

in short, i don't quite think you got what i meant there friend
Sorry about that. I just saw the word mainstream and I got triggered. After Zeitgeist you became a fan? No BS?

Old 12-09-2020, 10:20 PM   #142
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

i'm saying every year shit like Billboard & the Grammys reach more and more for stuff to qualify as "rock" since most interesting shit actually going on in the genre is well out of their reach commercially speaking so they just grab shit like Imagine Dragons, Coldplay, and well, Cyr to try & fill the gaping hole (Took's not looking right now, is he? )

Old 12-09-2020, 10:22 PM   #143
YA5H
Demi-God

But to be clear they never called CYR anything but a pop album.

Old 12-09-2020, 10:22 PM   #144
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by YA5H View Post
Sorry about that. I just saw the word mainstream and I got triggered. After Zeitgeist you became a fan? No BS?
yeah, even to the point where i just barely missed them at Voodoo fest (which is maybe 2 hrs from where I live) the year it came out

i was told by more than one person after that it wasn't a great gig, but nevertheless it would have been the closest thing (chronologically) to a "classic" SP show as I would have gotten i guess - tho technically seeing them on the Shiny tour last year was closer to that, personnel-wise

Old 12-09-2020, 10:25 PM   #145
YA5H
Demi-God

Quote:
i'm saying every year shit like Billboard & the Grammys reach more and more for stuff to qualify as "rock" since most interesting shit actually going on in the genre is well out of their reach commercially speaking so they just grab shit like Imagine Dragons, Coldplay, and well, Cyr to try & fill the gaping hole (Took's not looking right now, is he? )
Yeah rock is a very loose term these days. It's all pop let's be honest.

Old 12-09-2020, 10:29 PM   #146
YA5H
Demi-God

Quote:
yeah, even to the point where i just barely missed them at Voodoo fest (which is maybe 2 hrs from where I live) the year it came out

i was told by more than one person after that it wasn't a great gig, but nevertheless it would have been the closest thing (chronologically) to a "classic" SP show as I would have gotten i guess - tho technically seeing them on the Shiny tour last year was closer to that, personnel-wise
I saw them in Boston during the shiny tour they sounded great. Porcelina was the highlight for me.

Old 12-09-2020, 10:41 PM   #147
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
I saw them in Boston during the shiny tour they sounded great. Porcelina was the highlight for me.
Porcelina was godlike

Disarm made me weep.

It was a pretty good tour

Old 12-09-2020, 10:42 PM   #148
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Forget the "mainstream" it was a fluke that the pumpkins were ever mainstream. I love this band because they have FU money. They have enough "mainstream" songs to play arenas. Let Corgan do his thing and then he will come full circle and appease his "mainstream" fans but in the mean time I'm swooning over save your tears and most of this album. The guys 50+ years old and he's still got it. If it's not fans slice of pie then wait for his next rock opera that he's currently working on. Sometimes artist need to just change it up and do something for themselves. I can appreciate that... In fact I wish he would continue on this path. This album is currently underated. Remember not all of us grew up on SD. Many of us came late to the party post even MCIS and grew up on Adore and Machina and then discovered the Classics.
This is a post that i can endorse 10/10

Old 12-09-2020, 10:53 PM   #149
YA5H
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
Porcelina was godlike

Disarm made me weep.

It was a pretty good tour
There he is! I can get behind this statement. This tour makes me excited for the third album in the concept album trilogy. BC sounded great on Stern because his vox weren't so dry. Howard added some good reverb and he sounded great. The problem with zeitgeist was the horrible production. Billy produced that album so dry and raw on many potentially great songs. Tarantula sounded a million times better live.

Old 12-09-2020, 11:28 PM   #150
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

I saw SP during the Zeitgeist tour in Auckland.. it sounded good.. I hung out with Jimmy and Jeff at a music instrument shop before the show. I asked them to please play Gossamer.. but they refused.. haha they said Billy said no. asshat