Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Rate that CYR!
0 - total garbage, unlistenable, couldn’t make it through a single listen 7 8.97%
1 - this is technically music, but you don’t like anything about it 4 5.13%
2 - some of the worst music you’ve ever heard, you won’t ever listen to it again 6 7.69%
3 - pretty bad album, but at least it has purple blood 9 11.54%
4 - Worse than average, you listened to the whole thing but have no desire to do it again 15 19.23%
5 - Completely neutral, you neither love nor loathe this sound 10 12.82%
6 - Better than average, but only a few songs you’ll be returning to 8 10.26%
7 - Super duper album but you won’t be pulling it out unless you are particularly in the mood for it 9 11.54%
8 - great album marred by a few missteps or idiosyncrasies. You will keep listening regularly 7 8.97%
9 - fantastic album, u will get married or renew your vows to it one day 1 1.28%
10 - complete success, on par with golden era SP 2 2.56%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-27-2020, 07:05 PM   #31
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthusaroo View Post
So basically Pumpkins fans give it 4/10 - that feels about right.
Well yeah, the length detracts.

I hated most of those singles, but listening to the full album, it’s clear Corgan is invested in this, and occasionally it’s succeeds at what it sets out to do. But this is with the caveat that the entire record is mired by his vocal choices and it’s 20 straight tracks of 4min synth pop songs, some of which are hella bad.

Save Your Tears is the only song with any structural development - I’d take an album of that. Attempting the style of Tyger or Cyr is not something fans want even if it’s a success, and results here are mixed. The production is better than MTAE. The lyrics are better than MTAE. The backing vocals are better than Shiny 1. But it’s MTAE level song-writing with aesthetic improvements.

A better tracklisting would bump it to a 5 or 6 which is roughly where I placed MTAE on release (I like it less nowadays)

Old 11-27-2020, 07:49 PM   #32
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
Well yeah, the length detracts.

Old 11-27-2020, 10:41 PM   #33
Reyngel
Apocalyptic Poster

I gave it 4/10.

—Every single song sounds the exact same. I was bored to death.
—His vocals were terrible. That weak, embarrassing, shaky vibrato and dropped consonants has gotten even worse over time. It constantly sounds like he’s nervous, or is nauseated and about to throw up.
—Practically none of the lyrics are interesting or relatable.
—Even though Jimmy’s drumming outside of Billy’s orbit has been better than it’s ever been, his talent has now been totally wasted for 2 straight albums.
—It’s no wonder James is totally quiet and AWOL these days—was he even allowed to play on this album?
—While I did listen to the entire thing with objective and hopeful hears, I cannot see myself ever playing it a second time.

Old 11-27-2020, 11:07 PM   #34
Ram27
dumb

2/10.

when i have schoolwork to do i'll try putting this on in the background and seeing if i can make it through. i'm not going to muddy my recreational time with this shit

Old 11-27-2020, 11:08 PM   #35
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyngel View Post
It constantly sounds like he’s nervous, or is nauseated and about to throw up.
Lol

The funniest part is how proud he is of that vocal. His inimitable voice is the golden ticket, in his mind. Whereas actually the story of the pumpkins, at least for new listeners, is always “wow that vocal is very unusual but the incredible music draws me in!”

Now the musics not that remarkable, his singing style has taken a drastic turn for the worse, and it is the LOUDEST MOST PROMINENT ELEMENT OF EVERY SINGLE SONG

Old 11-27-2020, 11:20 PM   #36
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

I’ve been listening to SP since I was 3 no exaggeration and 25 years later this is the first time I literally want to punch Corgan in the teeth

Old 11-27-2020, 11:46 PM   #37
Whir34
Pledge

There are actually some stunning chorus’s on this album such as save your tears, telegenix, adrenaline etc. Having listened to the album a few times its growing on me. Better than I expected.

Old 11-28-2020, 01:25 AM   #38
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Cyr makes Teargarden By Kaleidyscope sound like a masterpiece

Cyr is unlistenable

Old 11-28-2020, 01:49 AM   #39
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
Lol

The funniest part is how proud he is of that vocal. His inimitable voice is the golden ticket, in his mind. Whereas actually the story of the pumpkins, at least for new listeners, is always “wow that vocal is very unusual but the incredible music draws me in!”

Now the musics not that remarkable, his singing style has taken a drastic turn for the worse, and it is the LOUDEST MOST PROMINENT ELEMENT OF EVERY SINGLE SONG
absolutely. 90+% of times when people irl talk to me about the pumpkins there's a snarky comment about Corgan's old voice

Old 11-28-2020, 01:50 AM   #40
Ram27
dumb

these are the true zombies bill

the true zombies of zwan

Old 11-28-2020, 03:25 AM   #41
LoveIsSuicide42
Demi-God

Honestly... I dig it. It's somewhere between a 7 and 8 to me.

I think it's really obvious that this is the music that billy wants to be making. SP 2.0 has had all kinds of examples of songs like this scattered throughout... Ma Belle, Death From Above, One Diamond, One Heart, Pinwheels, Glissandra, and most of Monuments give a lot of precedent to this album, even though it's still pretty shocking to see them embrace those concepts in such a maximal way. The average song on Cyr is quite a bit better than the ones I listed. I don't know. This doesn't feel phoned in to me-- I think Billy really wants to make music like a young female pop star. The reviews calling it hilarious are correct; this record is absolutely absurd-- but absurdity is one of the central elements of pop music.

Honestly, I can't stop thinking about how good peak-Robert Smith would sound singing some of these songs. Like Telegenix?? Dude could have pulled all of these off better than Billy. His voice would be the perfect foil to all these oddball synths. Billy is alright on most of these songs, I don't think it's so much the guitars I miss, but the way the guitars would contrast the voice.

Last edited by LoveIsSuicide42 : 11-28-2020 at 03:40 AM.

Old 11-28-2020, 04:21 AM   #42
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
Lol

Facts.

Old 11-28-2020, 01:46 PM   #43
Eulogy
huh

7?

It’s fine. I enjoy it as much as monuments probably?

Old 11-28-2020, 03:59 PM   #44
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster

The best I can say is with a little more rock edge on the production side of things there is definitely a good Teargarden EP in there.

Old 11-28-2020, 04:42 PM   #45
ilikeplanets
Braindead

5. Definitely the album I enjoy the most post-Machina. I feel like they're getting progressively better, but it's not something I can listen to daily. There are great moments, and boring moments. The singing and lyrics are still weak to me, but there is a decent vibe with the music on many tracks.

Old 11-28-2020, 04:44 PM   #46
ilikeplanets
Braindead

More precisely, 5 if I'm rating on it's own merit, and 8 if I'm rating relative to other post 2000 stuff.

Old 11-28-2020, 04:58 PM   #47
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

I’m gonna get my Netphoria privileges taken away but I think this is the second best Corgan solo album after Ogilala. Maybe. The second half is much more consistent than the singles.

Old 11-28-2020, 08:01 PM   #48
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

It’s great up to BF/BH.
Haunted is the absolute worst SP/WPC song. Failure on every level.

Old 11-28-2020, 08:31 PM   #49
Ram27
dumb

��taylor ��swift ��wrote ��the ��best ��song ��called ��haunted

Old 11-28-2020, 08:43 PM   #50
tweedyburd
Ownz

7/10

For once, I don't get the hate. There are some filler songs toward the end, for sure, but all in all this has some solid songs.

Best thing since Oceania and roughly as good as that, for me.

Old 11-28-2020, 08:45 PM   #51
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
7?

It’s fine. I enjoy it as much as monuments probably?
what are you asking me for?

Old 11-28-2020, 08:51 PM   #52
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Haha I lol’d

Old 11-28-2020, 09:37 PM   #53
JRock
Pledge

Dare I say best album since Machina. I've been a fan since the beginning and I have been very disappointed with the releases over the last 15 years. However, this is the most "Pumpkins sounding" album since Machina. 9 out of 10. Listen, it's there.

Old 11-28-2020, 10:04 PM   #54
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock View Post
Dare I say best album since Machina. I've been a fan since the beginning and I have been very disappointed with the releases over the last 15 years. However, this is the most "Pumpkins sounding" album since Machina. 9 out of 10. Listen, it's there.
Yeah there is definitely pumpkins in there

...but do u rate it 9/10 for real as in like the true world of actual music, like up there with keep it like a secret, soft bulletin, and john williams ost to jurassic park?

Or like 9/10 within the insular world of post 2000 big willie?

Old 11-28-2020, 10:05 PM   #55
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Also wtf all u dicks need to go post in the /10 thread with the actual poll, this whole thread was just a mistake stop bumping it, everyone

Gosh

Old 11-28-2020, 10:08 PM   #56
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

anyone who thinks this is better than Zeitgeist should be hung by their unmentionables for a full 24 hours

the fuck is wrong with y'all

Old 11-28-2020, 10:11 PM   #57
YA5H
Demi-God

7/10. It gets better with every listen for me. A lot of work went into this album and it shows. Still digesting all 20 songs. I love this band because they're always moving forward and evolving. This album is a solid work of art, if it was 10-12 songs it would of been rated even higher. As a fan I want as many songs as I can get so I'm happy to get the 20.

Old 11-28-2020, 10:16 PM   #58
YA5H
Demi-God

7/10. It gets better with every listen for me. A lot of work went into this album and it shows. Still digesting all 20 songs. I love this band because they're always moving forward and evolving. This album is a solid work of art, if it was 10-12 songs it would of been rated even higher. As a fan I want as many songs as I can get so I'm happy to get the 20.

Old 11-28-2020, 10:26 PM   #59
Ram27
dumb

figure skaters put a lot of work into their routine, doesn't mean i enjoy it

trump's team put a lot of work into his campaign, doesn't mean it isn't garbage

Old 11-28-2020, 11:05 PM   #60
YA5H
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
figure skaters put a lot of work into their routine, doesn't mean i enjoy it

trump's team put a lot of work into his campaign, doesn't mean it isn't garbage
I totally understand what your saying but I feel that the amount of time put into this album payed off. Music is art and art is subjective, suum cuique. I'm curious to see how this album will age. Many fans despised Adore and Machina and now we call them classics.