Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2007, 11:40 PM   #1
Ol' Couch Ass
Socialphobic

Default NHL: Camp is right around the corner. Talk about it here.

Fuck yeah hockey season is upon us again. The Lightning are doomed as we have no solid goaltending.

Neopryn and others...I envy you. Your team reminds me of the 2003 Lightning in that they were full of young talent and at the verge of turning the corner towards NHL dominance. Sadly, the lockout and Khabi's greedy nature robbed us of our dynasty but I can't see that happening to you. The Pens are undoubtedly the most exciting team in hockey and will win at least 3 cups over the next 10 years.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:56 PM   #2
Andrew_Pakula
Fine! I'll go make my own
web site. With Blackjack,
and Hookers... Actually,
forget the web site.

It will be interesting to see how several teams do this year, Philly has no where to go but up, the Ducks will suck without their two main men, Boston/Florida/Toronto all have new people in goal, Phoenix/LA have too many goalies, it will also be interesting to see if Penner was actually worth it for Edmonton, that's all i can think of for now ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:58 PM   #3
I Ate My Hamster
Apocalyptic Poster

You guys are all meatheads.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:12 AM   #4
I Ate My Hamster
Apocalyptic Poster

What about the Rangers? Is there any reason at all for me to watch hockey this year?

Old 09-12-2007, 12:13 AM   #5
Ugly
Immortal

Location: Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed

Raycroft is still Toronto's #1 Goalie!

Razor forever!!! Really!

Old 09-12-2007, 12:14 AM   #6
Eulogy
huh

if the penguins actually win a cup in the next few years....i...i don't know. it wouldn't be like ND winning a nat'l championship, but i'd be pretty fucking stoked

Old 09-12-2007, 12:23 AM   #7
Ugly
Immortal

Location: Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed

I'm going to see a Leafs / Sens preseason game. I know its preseason, but I'm actually kinda excited cause it'll be my only time to ever see the Leafs play because you have to sell your firstborn to get reg. season tix. (and it'll be good to know the 3rd stringers aside from the main players).

Still, I bet the leafs don't make the playoffs again, or maybe scrape into 1st round.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:10 AM   #8
Injektilo
twenty some years....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_Pakula
it will also be interesting to see if Penner was actually worth it for Edmonton

Probably not. But then, the hockey gods have turned on Edm with a vengence since G1 of the finals in 06. I'm naturally inclined to be pessimistic at this point.

[gives Lowe the finger]

Old 09-12-2007, 02:13 AM   #9
Ol' Couch Ass
Socialphobic

You're always good for the hockey threads man. I rely on the internet for my hockey conversations as the only other hockey fans I know are my little brother and girlfriend. Living in the south sucks in that regard.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:14 AM   #10
Ever
Minion of Satan

I like the chiasmus in your custom title, Juerto

Old 09-12-2007, 03:54 AM   #11
Chuck=Zero
Apocalyptic Poster

Talking

The Flyers had their worst season EVER last year, but the management worked their asses off as soon as the off season started, and Flyers fans (including myself) are excited about this year's team. One thing that we were really impressed with was the fact that the ownership gave the okay for Paul Holmgren to do everything possible to make this team better, keeping in line with the salary cap of course, thus sending a big statement to the fans (the other 3 sports franchises here in recent history haven't shown such a devotion to improving). After Bob Clarke stepped down last year, the new management finally came to the realization that they couldn't win in today's NHL doing what the franchise had done traditionally, that is building a mostly slow, strong, tough, heavy-hitting team. The most notable sign of this shift was their biggest free agent signing, Daniel Briere.

We're not expecting a Stanley Cup championship this year in Philly, but we're certainly expecting to have a playoff hockey team again. I'm definately goin' to go to a couple Flyers games this year (damn, this sport is so much better live!), especially considering the Flyers are gonna have "all you can eat seats" this year!

Old 09-12-2007, 03:55 AM   #12
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

hey guys let's all fuck eachother hey guys let's all fuck eachother hey guys let's all fuck eachother hey guys let's all fuck eachother hey guys let's all fuck eachother hey guys let's all fuck eachother hey guys let's all fuck eachother hey guys let's all fuck eachother hey guys let's all fuck eachother hey guys let's all fuck eachother hey guys let's all fuck eachother hey guys let's all fuck eachother hey guys let's all fuck eachother hey guys let's all fuck eachother hey guys let's all fuck eachother hey guys let's all fuck eachother hey guys let's all fuck eachother hey guys let's all fuck eachother hey guys let's all fuck eachother hey guys let's all fuck eachother hey guys let's all fuck eachother hey guys let's all fuck eachother hey guys let's all fuck eachother hey guys let's all fuck eachother hey guys let's all fuck eachother hey guys let's all fuck eachother hey guys let's all fuck eachother hey guys let's all fuck eachother hey guys let's all fuck eachother hey guys let's all fuck eachother hey guys let's all fuck eachother hey guys let's all fuck eachother hey guys let's all fuck eachother hey guys let's all fuck eachother hey guys let's all fuck eachother hey guys let's all fuck eachother hey guys let's all fuck eachother hey guys let's all fuck eachother hey guys let's all fuck eachother hey guys let's all fuck eachother hey guys let's all fuck eachother hey guys let's all fuck eachother hey guys let's all fuck eachother hey guys let's all fuck eachother hey guys let's all fuck eachother hey guys let's all fuck eachother hey guys let's all fuck eachother hey guys let's all fuck eachother hey guys let's all fuck eachother hey guys let's all fuck eachother hey guys let's all fuck eachother

Old 09-12-2007, 07:36 AM   #13
phaedrus
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_Pakula
the Ducks will suck without their two main men
The Ducks will win the cup again. They are still very deep with lots of young talent.

I'm curious to see how Toronto fares, they are easily the most improved team from the off-season. The Rangers are going to be pretty sick this year too - the only question mark for them is their defense.

I used to be a huge fan of the Oilers, but since they've traded away Smyth & Smith, I've been pretty pissed at K. Lowe. I still find myself following their every move though. They should have an interesting season, but I might find myself cheering more for the Avalanche...

Last edited by phaedrus : 09-12-2007 at 07:44 AM.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:45 AM   #14
phaedrus
Minion of Satan

Having Bobby Clarke step down was the best thing that could have happened to the Flyers.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:46 AM   #15
Luke de Spa
someone more...punk rock?

Location: Ice cream pig out in M1-aud is why i don't play plug in baby the wrong way, like you

i'm impressed. so how long have you guys been playing professional hockey

Old 09-12-2007, 07:46 AM   #16
phaedrus
Minion of Satan

The conference finals this year will be San Jose v. Anaheim, and Ottawa v. New York

Old 09-12-2007, 09:53 AM   #17
Injektilo
twenty some years....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Couch Ass
You're always good for the hockey threads man. I rely on the internet for my hockey conversations as the only other hockey fans I know are my little brother and girlfriend. Living in the south sucks in that regard.

hockey threads are about all i post in on netphoria at this point. and the g-lounge i guess. not really sure why i still check things out here.

but anyway, i'm always willing to talk hockey. i'm playing in a league in taipei this year, i'll post pics for y'all once i get some.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:51 AM   #18
phaedrus
Minion of Satan

wow, playing in taipei would be sick. you'll probably skate circles around everyone. play center, whether it's your natural position or not.

what team do you see making the biggest improvement this year?

Old 09-12-2007, 11:03 AM   #19
phaedrus
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Couch Ass
The Lightning are doomed as we have no solid goaltending.
The Lightning really need to hook up with the Canadiens on a trade. Huet or Halak at both potentially consistent #1s. Moving either one of them would make room for Price to come up from the Bulldogs. The Canadiens would need a scorer in return. Maybe Richards for Huet or Halak and a solid draft pick?

Old 09-12-2007, 11:06 AM   #20
Ol' Couch Ass
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaedrus
The Lightning really need to hook up with the Canadiens on a trade. Huet or Halak at both potentially consistent #1s. Moving either one of them would make room for Price to come up from the Bulldogs. The Canadiens would need a scorer in return. Maybe Richards for Huet or Halak and a solid draft pick?

Dumping Richards' salary would probably be a good move for the Bolts but they have made it very clear that they don't want to break up the big 3. If the Lightning were going to trade Richards they would want the receiving team to take Denis as well to dump his salary too. I'm not sure anyone would want to take that on.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:10 AM   #21
phaedrus
Minion of Satan

care to speculate what forwards the Lightning would be interested in parting with?

Old 09-12-2007, 11:20 AM   #22
Injektilo
twenty some years....

Quote:
wow, playing in taipei would be sick. you'll probably skate circles around everyone. play center, whether it's your natural position or not.

what team do you see making the biggest improvement this year?

oh, i'm playing in a mostly ex-pat league. i'm gonna suck. we've got a few guys who played junior C and B and A on my team, so we should do alright. i have no illusions about skating around anyone this year. There's a league for locals and a league for expats, and i'd like to play with guys whose language i actually speak.

Biggest improvement? Probably Pittsburgh, just because all their kids will be one year older. Plus they've added a couple of guys, so.... I'll bet Crosby wins the Art Ross by at least 30 points, maybe closer to 50.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:23 AM   #23
Injektilo
twenty some years....

Quote:
Halak isn't exactly a proven player is he? He's got what, twenty games under his belt maybe? Off the top of my head... i know the habs had three goalies used last year with injuries and whatnot. Not the kinda guy you want to go into the season as your #1. Both their goalies are fairly cheap, there's no sense in rushing one off just to give Price a shot as a backup. He's probably better off as a starter in the A than a backup in the NHL anyway.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:25 AM   #24
phaedrus
Minion of Satan

i never thought that there would be that many expats over there. you'll have fun anyway. personally, i can't wait for it to get cold enough to play some outdoor hockey in the park.

you're probably right about Pittsburgh, although I still see goaltending as questionable for them. i'm actually more interested to see how Staal improves than Crosby. Crosby may or may not meet expectations, depending on who he plays with.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:36 AM   #25
phaedrus
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Injektilo
Halak isn't exactly a proven player is he? He's got what, twenty games under his belt maybe? Off the top of my head... i know the habs had three goalies used last year with injuries and whatnot. Not the kinda guy you want to go into the season as your #1. Both their goalies are fairly cheap, there's no sense in rushing one off just to give Price a shot as a backup. He's probably better off as a starter in the A than a backup in the NHL anyway.
I agree that Price would be better as starter A than a backup in the NHL. That being said, I think he's ready for the NHL now. If Gainey doesn't see that then he's probably right to hang onto all of his goalies for the time being.

I also agree that Halak may not be the kind of guy you'd expect to step right into a #1 role, but he looked solid in his starts for Montreal last year and I'd expect that if Tampa Bay were to acquire him, he could either fill a #1 role, or at least elevate Denis or Holmqvist's play by the competition. Otherwise, I don't see that there are many #1 tenders out there right now, unless you want a washed-up guy like Cujo to fill the role as an interim. He'd get you some wins, but he's no better than what Tampa has right now, and certainly more fragile. He'd have a hard time keeping up with a play-off schedule.

What other potential #1 goalies are there left that could be available? Bryzgalov? Uh...Gerber? Raycroft?

Old 09-12-2007, 11:53 AM   #26
Injektilo
twenty some years....

Quote:
i never thought that there would be that many expats over there. you'll have fun anyway. personally, i can't wait for it to get cold enough to play some outdoor hockey in the park.

you're probably right about Pittsburgh, although I still see goaltending as questionable for them. i'm actually more interested to see how Staal improves than Crosby. Crosby may or may not meet expectations, depending on who he plays with.

There's plenty of expats here, it's a ten team league, and there'd be more teams if there was more than one rink and equipment was more widely available. For some reason there's also an insanely high number of Canadians here, which helps a lot when it comes a hockey culture. The joke is that Taiwan, ROC (Republic of China) actually stands for Taiwan, Rest Of Canada.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:59 AM   #27
Injektilo
twenty some years....

Quote:
I agree that Price would be better as starter A than a backup in the NHL. That being said, I think he's ready for the NHL now. If Gainey doesn't see that then he's probably right to hang onto all of his goalies for the time being.

I also agree that Halak may not be the kind of guy you'd expect to step right into a #1 role, but he looked solid in his starts for Montreal last year and I'd expect that if Tampa Bay were to acquire him, he could either fill a #1 role, or at least elevate Denis or Holmqvist's play by the competition. Otherwise, I don't see that there are many #1 tenders out there right now, unless you want a washed-up guy like Cujo to fill the role as an interim. He'd get you some wins, but he's no better than what Tampa has right now, and certainly more fragile. He'd have a hard time keeping up with a play-off schedule.

What other potential #1 goalies are there left that could be available? Bryzgalov? Uh...Gerber? Raycroft?

Bryzgalov and Gerber would definitely be better candidates, but certainly more expensive ones. The time to go shopping for a #1 would have been much earlier when Nabokov (or was it Toskola? i always get them confused, that's what happens when you're outside the TO media ring, you can't remember which one got traded to the Leafs) and Fernandez were available. And Garon, to a lesser extent.

Anyway, goalies typically take the longest to develop into productive NHL players. Price has the pedigree, but one playoff run in the AHL doesn't mean much. If he's kicking ass in the AHL come December, then Gainey will have a pleasant problem in net to deal with. No sense in rushing Huet off anywhere though. Maybe if the Habs are out of it by Feb, they can send one of their goalies off and bring up Price.

Another question : Why the fuck doesn't Lowe sign Mike Johnson? He must be looking for some significant years. With Pisani gone for who knows how long, Edmonton is fucked at RW. They need someone who's played more than 50 NHL games on that side, after Hemsky.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:09 PM   #28
phaedrus
Minion of Satan

No kidding. What do you suppose draws so many Canadians to Taiwan?

Old 09-12-2007, 02:27 PM   #29
Ol' Couch Ass
Socialphobic

Quote:
care to speculate what forwards the Lightning would be interested in parting with?
If any of the big 3 were going to leave it would probably be Marty. He is probably the least attractive to other teams because of his size and age.

Outside of that everyone on the Lightning is expendable. Sadly, the big three are the only players with any value. We already traded Modin for magic beans and he was the only player I could imagine any other team wanting.

As for D, the Dan Boyle saga should be interesting to follow. The Lightning want to resign him but will probably need another salary cap increase at least as much as the past few years if not more. If the Lightning aren't playing well at midseason there is a strong possibility they would trade Boyle for draft picks if it seems they won't be able to resign him.

I personally would give Richards up for a NHL caliber goaltender and a high draft pick. Feaster has too much of a man crush on him and won't part with him.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:41 PM   #30
phaedrus
Minion of Satan

So Breeze-by failed his medical when he showed up to the Habs camp. I had a good chuckle when I heard that.