Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2011, 11:48 PM   #91
dean_r_koontz
Apocalyptic Poster

what if rottenugly kills himself because he doesn't get the help he needs? will you take responsibility then agenda suicide? the risks of being too cautious are much greater than the risks of presribing some of these meds.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:48 PM   #92
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahnzah View Post
i know. it's a bummer man.
it is, i wave this flag around a little harder than i should but it's just because i feel like if i wasn't so convinced that medication was bad for you i would have gotten my shit together a long time ago and i wouldn't have wasted most of my 20s in a weed addled unproductive self-loathing stupor.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:49 PM   #93
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by agenda suicide View Post
I think that because I've seen it happen.
have you? were you in those therapy sessions? do you have the medical notes? do you know their EKG results?

Old 10-03-2011, 11:49 PM   #94
dean_r_koontz
Apocalyptic Poster

no you'll just say "i was just raising the point", wanting this kid to make "proper research". what the fuck does that mean, is he supposed to dive into scientific litterature on the A1 serotonergic receptor. irresponsible fear mongering is what it is, just like your pal banana stefan.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:04 AM   #95
agenda suicide
cunt cookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
have you? were you in those therapy sessions? do you have the medical notes? do you know their EKG results?
There was no therapy, medical notes or anything. They just went to a GP, said "I think I'm bipolar" and got a prescription. This is the issue I was referring to. I'm not saying this is how it always happens... just saying it does happen.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:07 AM   #96
Trotskilicious
Banned

i'm going to go ahead and say that's an apocryphal tale.

even if it was happening all the time (which it isn't), that doesn't undermine the value of the drugs just underscores the questionable profit-seeking intentions of the pharmaceutical corporations

Old 10-04-2011, 12:27 AM   #97
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

i remember b.onsor saying listening to mayonaise helped him get through his teenage years or something. maybe rottenugly should listen to mayonaise.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:36 AM   #98
PkPhuoko
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_r_koontz View Post
also anti-depressants doesn't cause chemical dependancy, you're confusing these with anti-anxiety drugs like xanax.
right but you can't just stop something like paxil abruptly without massive rebound effects that are more life threatening than withdrawl symptoms.

Anywho... i think depression is over diagnosed. I slept a lot in high school and operated on a wild schedule. Categorically hated my parents... dyed my hair, listened to smashing pumpkins lololol ... Parents became alarmed and i think i was put on zoloft... took it briefly.

Fast forward 5 or 6 years and I'm diagnosed with narcolepsy. So if I could've made it through the initial phase of taking zoloft, it's logical to think i'd have still been on it, being treated for the symptoms of a condition I did not posses.

Think parents are so terrified to have their child undiagnosed if a problem exists that they may create problems that aren't there.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:45 AM   #99
dean_r_koontz
Apocalyptic Poster

some of these meds have side effects when you quit them, like the one i'm on. no reason to give one of those to rottenugly. again, you're pointing out a tree and not revealing the forest.

and regarding zoloft, so what if you've still been on it. would this have severely effected your quality of life? better to overprescribe these medications than to underprescribe them. i'm pretty sure that most people who feel no better taking them and getting problematic side effects will quit.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:52 AM   #100
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PkPhuoko View Post
right but you can't just stop something like paxil abruptly without massive rebound effects that are more life threatening than withdrawl symptoms.

Anywho... i think depression is over diagnosed. I slept a lot in high school and operated on a wild schedule. Categorically hated my parents... dyed my hair, listened to smashing pumpkins lololol ... Parents became alarmed and i think i was put on zoloft... took it briefly.

Fast forward 5 or 6 years and I'm diagnosed with narcolepsy. So if I could've made it through the initial phase of taking zoloft, it's logical to think i'd have still been on it, being treated for the symptoms of a condition I did not posses.

Think parents are so terrified to have their child undiagnosed if a problem exists that they may create problems that aren't there.
part of that has to do with the fact that teenagers are not open and honest about their emotional and interior state so doctors and the concept of mental illness are generally being faulted for diagnoses that are arrived at through educated guesswork and behavioral clues which any doctor would tell you isn't the best diagnosis. I behaved badly in elementary school, wouldn't sit still (still won't), and then by adolescence i started to dress in black (still do) and was very morose and depressed and slept all the time, my diagnosis changed from ADD to depression. Do I think young kids are given drugs too early? I suppose, but you have to understand I was a spectacularly bad child. Comparisons to Calvin were not exactly over the top. Of course, I was like Moe with Calvin's brain in elementary school. The drugs evened me out and made me a star pupil until the hormones kicked in and I went all sad and angry.

i think the fact that the idea that mental illnesses are "overdiagnosed" are overdiscussed and frequently pop up in these discussions as if they have much to do with anything. I don't think it's necessary to remind people who may be sick that the country is taking too many pills and depression is "over-diagnosed" because it's just "being sad, right?" No, Depression is not just "sadness," it's illogical and uncontrollable and has nothing to do with much of anything, and when it does have a trigger that would make even a mentally healthy person sad, it can be disastrous.

i know more crazy people not getting treatment (2) than non-crazy people taking meds (0)

Old 10-04-2011, 12:54 AM   #101
Trotskilicious
Banned

actually i think my dad is nuts so bump that up to 3

Old 10-04-2011, 01:25 AM   #102
PkPhuoko
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_r_koontz View Post
some of these meds have side effects when you quit them, like the one i'm on. no reason to give one of those to rottenugly. again, you're pointing out a tree and not revealing the forest.

and regarding zoloft, so what if you've still been on it. would this have severely effected your quality of life? better to overprescribe these medications than to underprescribe them. i'm pretty sure that most people who feel no better taking them and getting problematic side effects will quit.
I do not have depression. I have narcolepsy. I developed cataplexy over the years. Fully treated but blatantly narcolepsy.

So is there any harm in taking zoloft when I don't need it? Taking a mood alter drug when I don't need it? Yes I would argue that is counter productive, especially in a teenager.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:55 AM   #103
Trotskilicious
Banned

uh right but what's the alternative? not treating people because sometimes they get it wrong?

Old 10-04-2011, 02:47 AM   #104
Ol' Couch Ass
Socialphobic

I've been in healthcare for eight years and have absolutely nothing to add to this conversation. I would like to say that I know for a fact that psych meds are over or under prescribed but feel completely unqualified to speak to it as it is such a personal thing and nearly impossible to quantify. I can say that in my personal life I have known a few amazing people who have greatly benefited from professional psychiatric assistance and medication.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:55 AM   #105
slunken
Virgo

NETPHORIA: A TRANSGENDERED CRUSADE THROUGH MENTAL ILLNESS AND OBESITY AS TOLD BY WILLIAM PATRICK CORGAN

Old 10-04-2011, 02:57 AM   #106
slunken
Virgo

i gave alchemy a try and it solved all my problems.

Old 10-04-2011, 03:27 AM   #107
Dead Frequency
Minion of Satan

Location: They don't know who did it, but they're looking for hardened criminals

I like weed

Old 10-04-2011, 04:05 AM   #108
Starla

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottenugly View Post
This isn't going to be a gigantic cry for help, but I have depression, which is why I've neglected to post in my recent thread, I've had depression for years, I also think I have bipolar.

I had ADHD as a young child, I grew out of this by the time I was ten, can Ritalin trigger suicidal thoughts and/or depression?

Ritalin can cause both, but, don't just stop taking it on your own because the withdrawal effect could also increase suicidal ideation and depression. You need to go to the doctor asap and let them know what you've mentioned here. You may need to be taken off of it and given a different drug to treat you. Don't wait to call the dr about this.

Old 10-04-2011, 04:13 AM   #109
Starla

I'll agree that drugs are given way too often as a first line response to treating mental illness, without looking at alternatives ie: vitamin deficiency, but you can't talk therapy or alternatively treat something like bi polar successfully. I don't want the op of this thread thinking he can. As it is most stop taking meds because they start feeling better...so they think they are cured until they are back where they started again.

I'm interning at a clinic where I see so many people ashamed to be on meds or they develop this magical thinking that they don't need their meds...

Old 10-04-2011, 04:14 AM   #110
Starla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Frequency View Post
I like weed
So do i but i can't smoke much cause it gives me anxiety attacks and makes me paranoid.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:08 AM   #111
rottenugly
Banned

Quote:
well if i thought rottenugly was a real person and not a karl connor troll
What do I have to do to prove I am real then?

Last edited by rottenugly : 10-04-2011 at 05:14 AM.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:11 AM   #112
rottenugly
Banned

I have not used Ritalin since March 30th 2010, says so on the bottle here.

I was put on another ADHD medication, dexedrine, 2006-2008 though.
I am seeing a therapist on the seventh to assess me.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:29 AM   #113
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
post a picture of yourself holding up a picture that says "hi netphoria, my name is rottenugly."

Old 10-04-2011, 07:30 AM   #114
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
because it's just "being sad, right?"
dude

who says this?

i think you might just be surrounded by a spectacularly terrible group of people or something.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:00 AM   #115
Cool As Ice Cream

Quote:
tell us more about this basement you're sleeping in.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:01 AM   #116
Cool As Ice Cream

and also what eluogygyygy said.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:37 AM   #117
RenewRevive
Minion of Satan

i can only go off personal experience. my general practitioner diagnosed me as having chronic fatigue syndrome, as i had some of the symptoms and prescribed prozac. she then told me that i should look up the symptoms on the internet to see which disorder was a best fit - i kid you not! so i took prozac for over a year before one g.p. suggested counselling (i'd asked for a referral myself but been fobbed off). the only obvious effect prozac had was a major improvement in my asthma (i went from using ventolin maybe 8 times a day to not at all). i've brought this up twice (to different doctors) and had absolutely no reaction. i figure the asthma is triggered by anxiety and stress, which i guess has been corrected by the meds. anyhow, i finally have a counselling session arranged (though this won't be a psychiatrist i'm guessing) and two years in i still have no clear idea as to what is up with me. depression is the latest. how hard is it to get an actual clear diagnosis? my own opinion (i took her advice and looked it up on the internets) is avoidant personality disorder, for what it's worth.

Last edited by RenewRevive : 10-04-2011 at 12:13 PM.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:52 AM   #118
rottenugly
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
tell us more about this basement you're sleeping in.
I am in the process of cleaning it currently, you see I take bad care of myself, I have found CD cases with maggots, and I found the Adore CD covered in maggots, just awful, I have never cleaned here before, and my mother is disabled physically (Inb4 she's a retard, she isn't, she is very smart and she taught me how to use punctuation.) so she cannot clean this room.

My mother wants me to sleep in my old room again but I don't want that because there is no door on my room anymore, I dunno, my dad took it off a few years ago and I have no idea why.

I have cassettes in this basement, 10-15, mostly blank cassettes that I use for recording my music...I have a radio down ehre because I cannot go to sleep in pure silence, bugs me out.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:54 AM   #119
rottenugly
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
post a picture of yourself holding up a picture that says "hi netphoria, my name is rottenugly."
Anything else, /b/rother?

How about a video, a video would be better proof than a picture, right? But if you want, I can do the photo thing later today since I have school.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:06 PM   #120
Cool As Ice Cream

also trots please just take your pills and stop crying about it jesus