Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2022, 10:15 AM   #31
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

v glad i got any abortions out of the way (and in texas, mind you) when i was young and it was safe and legal. i'd have ended up with a hanger up my cooch if the government left me no choice.

Old 05-08-2022, 10:19 AM   #32
ovary
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOneAndOnly View Post
Unless another justice leaves the court before the end of this year Biden will not get another court appointment. if he wanted to add a 10th or 11th justice to the court he would need all 50 democrats in the Senate to agree to it. They won't. Sinema and Manchin would NEVER agree to expanding the court. And I suspect there are at LEAST two dozen other Dem senators who would not go along with it. Because they're not actually "liberal" and they don't really give a shit.... or they think they'll somehow magically win the next election and all this will go away.

the GOP will take over the Senate and House next January. And for the next two years they are not going to approve ANY of Biden's appointments. Not to SCOTUS. Not to lower courts. Probably not to government agencies. If any more justices leave the court before 2025 their seat will be left empty until Trump or Desantis is in the White House.

Democrats could pass laws protecting birth control, marriage equality, abortion, etc. But they won't. None of them will pass the Senate... because at the very most Dems only have 48 votes for any of that. Sinema and Manchin won't vote to pass any of those hypothetical laws.

It's over. There's not going to be any court packing. No new laws are going to be passed to save the day, because there are too many conservative/moderate Dems in congress who don't really care or support any of these rights.

There is no quiet behind the scenes planning for packing the court. It's not going to happen. Nobody in DC is seriously considering it.
i feel like a big part of the problem is that conservatives buy into the electoral process and participate regularly/consistently, including midterms, including state races, whereas the left doesn't mobilize unless there is a big-name celebrity or enemy in national races.

unfortunately things might need to get pretty bad with minority rule before normal liberal people wake up and start voting in races other than president.

Old 05-08-2022, 10:22 AM   #33
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
[In 2023] Hey folks, anyone having or performing an abortion has been executed. Anyone queer in any way: executed. Anyone who fornicated with or married outside their race, and any extended family members of such guilty parties: executed. This next election is the most important in US history. It is so, so important to donate.

Old 05-08-2022, 10:24 AM   #34
ovary
Ownz

like i understand why progressives don't vote. liberal politicians are only half a notch better than republicans half the time, and the system is certainly rigged against progressivism in any number of ways. and there are lots of ways to effect positive social change outside of voting that are more effective and have a better buck-bang than voting does. but when it comes to changing laws, voting is literally the only option. there is no other way.

Old 05-08-2022, 10:30 AM   #35
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

anyway, here's wonderwall

Old 05-08-2022, 01:50 PM   #36
ovary
Ownz

you all everybody

Old 05-09-2022, 01:57 PM   #37
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
You know Dems are currently talking about expanding the court to turn it liberal, right? Like, that's something they can do today, and Reps can also do the next time they're in power?
Quote:
Unless another justice leaves the court before the end of this year Biden will not get another court appointment. if he wanted to add a 10th or 11th justice to the court he would need all 50 democrats in the Senate to agree to it. They won't. Sinema and Manchin would NEVER agree to expanding the court. And I suspect there are at LEAST two dozen other Dem senators who would not go along with it. Because they're not actually "liberal" and they don't really give a shit.... or they think they'll somehow magically win the next election and all this will go away.
Considering that my initial hot take in this thread was that the Dems do nothing but sit back, let bad shit happen, and fundraise off it, I'm not sure how I came around to talking about SC expansion as something they might actually do, and yet there it is in black and white. I'm sick and tired of the mods editing my posts to make it look like I don't think things through.

Old 05-10-2022, 05:13 PM   #38
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovary View Post
i feel like a big part of the problem is that conservatives buy into the electoral process and participate regularly/consistently, including midterms, including state races, whereas the left doesn't mobilize unless there is a big-name celebrity or enemy in national races.

unfortunately things might need to get pretty bad with minority rule before normal liberal people wake up and start voting in races other than president.
FTR Dem leaning voters turned out very well in the last midterm elections. They out polled Republicans by 9% and erased decades of lousy midterm trends. Trump mobilized Democrats to vote.

I doubt that will happen again. The DNC doesn't seem to be nationalizing this midterm like they did against Trump in 2018. I don't understand why they aren't making this all about Trump again, because we're still effectively living under Trump rule. It's not hard to tell people that.

Old 05-10-2022, 06:58 PM   #39
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
anyway, here's wonderwall

Old 05-10-2022, 06:58 PM   #40
slunken
Virgo

its just really something to think about

Old 05-11-2022, 09:50 PM   #41
ovary
Ownz

what if i think tails are hot

Old 05-12-2022, 05:53 PM   #42
slunken
Virgo

like the sonic character?

Old 05-13-2022, 10:44 AM   #43
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Question

Old 05-13-2022, 11:39 AM   #44
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

shit fuckers can do weird things to cute cartoon characters

Old 05-14-2022, 12:27 PM   #45
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:

It's not that simple. I think the "left" works their asses off every election. Dems are a loose coalition party. Midterms are predictable. The party in the White house almost always loses seats in congress (even with the radical gerrymandering of the South).

The Dem coalition is simply not singularly focused on the Courts and Gerrymandering, like the GOP. There is no Koch Bros on the Left pumping money into astro turf campaigns.

Evangelical religion has been transformed in the past 50 years. Evangelicals used to vote for democrats. Jimmy Carter was an evangelical christian. They didn't used to care about abortion, and they did not have a national agenda. They were mobilized by a handful of extremists on the right... and their religious agenda was redefined in the 80s to focus on hatred of femminists, queers, communists, and brown people.

I don't blame "the left". I blame centrist and moderate voters, and politicians in both parties that have refused to and failed to call out the rise of fascism in the GOP.

The Left, people of color, labor orgs, etc. has always been opposed to right wing bullshit. There is simple a wide swath of people who don't give a fuck until the fascists come for them.

Old 05-14-2022, 01:24 PM   #46
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Quote:

The Left, people of color, labor orgs, etc. has always been opposed to right wing bullshit. There is simple a wide swath of people who don't give a fuck until the fascists come for them.
This is firmly the category that I fall into, a left aligned voter who doesn't want anyone to be "come for" but also cannot possibly keep up with the daily political happenings, and I don't want to. It's so sickening, and it's barely all I can do to have peace in my own little corner of the world. That doesn't make me a shitty person, and if there was a streamlined way to improve things then I'd do it. Not everyone can be an activist.

Old 05-15-2022, 08:51 PM   #47
ovary
Ownz

yeah by "the left" i meant like everyone left of center at all. they're clearly the majority nationally but they don't vote at the rates of conservatives.

Old 05-15-2022, 11:44 PM   #48
Disco King
Minion of Satan

It's probably a demographic issue. Older people tend to vote more than younger people. Wealthy people tend to vote more than poor people. Older and wealthier people are more likely to be conservative.

Maybe it's a waiting game. America just has to wait for the Zoomers to save them. Everyone laughs at their twitching and tik-toking now, but they won't be laughing when they open the lobbyist gulags!

Old 05-16-2022, 03:10 PM   #49
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
yeah by "the left" i meant like everyone left of center at all. they're clearly the majority nationally but they don't vote at the rates of conservatives.
where is the "center". where do you draw that line? It's subjective. Who gets blamed for being the "left of center" and also not showing up to vote? And like i said, Dems out polled the GOP in the last midterm by 9%.

skipping Midterms is typical for both GOP and Democratic voters. Most republicans don't vote in MIdterms either. In a lot of states Dems always turn out in higher numbers than republicans, but Gerrymandering ensures it doesn't matter. For example if you look at media coverage you will hear things like "why can't Democrats turn out voters in Michigan? But they do. All the state wide offices there are held by Democrats. But every congressional seat, and 2/3rds of State Senate seats are held by GOP because of gerrymandering. Dems can't win more seats... it's literally impossible. But if you watch national news all you'll hear is that "Dems can't make progress in Michigan", or "big turnout hands midterms to GOP in Michigan."

I think you're just parroting what you hear in media. It's not that simple.. and it's not accurate.

Last edited by MyOneAndOnly : 05-16-2022 at 03:16 PM.

Old 05-16-2022, 03:32 PM   #50
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Democrats out voted Republicans in 2016, 2018, 2020.

Dems could continue to out vote, out poll republicans in 2022 and still lose a lot of seats in the House and Senate, because of congressional gerrymandering and because the Senate is constitutionally rigged.

Old 05-17-2022, 09:03 AM   #51
ovary
Ownz

as the challenger it falls to you to cite sources. remember we're talking specifically abt state races

Old 05-17-2022, 01:37 PM   #52
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
as the challenger it falls to you to cite sources. remember we're talking specifically abt state races
LOL wut?

i am not the one challenging history

I am talking about congressional races. Congressional elections are district level. If you look at turn-out for the last three election cycles Dems have out-polled republicans nationally, and in some states where the GOP continues to hold majorities in congressional delegations, and in state legislatures.

I used Michigan (above) as an example.

I do not like the way the DNC mismanages the party. But it's not the fault of voters or left of center people or any one age group or race, that the GOP might win a majority in Congress this year. They've radically gerrymandered 2/3rds of the state legislatures and congressional districts... and Democratic leaning voters have been turning out to vote.

Last edited by MyOneAndOnly : 05-17-2022 at 01:44 PM.

Old 05-19-2022, 04:45 PM   #53
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

FETUS POWERED STREETLAMPS!

This would be funny, if these claims were not being made by Republicans in Congress.

https://www.rawstory.com/fetus-power...-roe-s-demise/

Quote:
"In places like Washington D.C.," fetuses are "burned to power the light's of the city's homes and streets," claimed Catherine Glenn Foster, who had, just minutes before, sworn not to lie under oath. The GOP-summoned witness let loose the wild and utterly false accusation that municipal electrical companies are powered by incinerated fetuses.

"The next time you turn on the light, think of the incinerators," she said, apparently repeating a misleading talking point from the same anti-choice activists caught stashing fetuses at home.

Old 05-19-2022, 06:06 PM   #54
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Lightbulb

Looked a few things up. Assuming a fetus burns about as efficiently as coal does, that's about 250,000 fetuses per day to power DC. Seems like we're doing the world a favor keeping that many kids from sharing our food. I mean, you think the formula shortage is bad now, fuck.

Old 05-25-2022, 10:50 AM   #55
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

since this is the "world is a dumpster fire" thread

Old 05-25-2022, 10:50 AM   #56
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

so America is doing pretty well, right?